Final

Triggered (One-shot)

 

Amber never used to feel this way, especially to her best friend, Key. Considering the profession they are on, she kept telling herself that she should be aware that skinships on duet stages are something usual and not to be taken personally. For goodness’ sake, it is purely entertainment, and she is supposed to understand that better than other people. She felt something is definitely going wrong with her because she is not happy for the fact that Key is going to perform on a duet stage, twice; one with BoA sunbae-nim and another with her bandmate, Krystal.

He is going to perform with the “Queen of SM” and one that both respected most; she should be happy for him. Not only is he going to perform once, but twice, where he got the spotlight more than the others; that’s an achievement for a performer, she knew, but she just can’t help but feeling irritated. She once thought that she might be jealous of him being overrated as a pure Korean who can speak English well so that he is great for endorsing the image of the current Koreans and, of course, a beneficial image for SM Entertainment. She thought maybe it’s because she is the one from the U.S but doesn’t have more opportunity to perform more on stage while she’s there.  After thinking for a while, she decided that it’s not that kind of professional jealousy. It’s something different than that.

She was not afraid of him stealing all the spotlight. She was afraid that there is really something going on while he was practicing with his duet partners. She was afraid about the skinships shared on the process of practicing—in fact, she kept feeling hurt when she imagined it. Once Amber came early for f(x)’s practice on the company, and the room they are going to be using happened to be the room Key practices with Krystal then. After they got to the part where both are about to kiss, she can’t help but look away and feeling angry within. That shouldn’t have happened, she said to herself. Then she walked out of the room, rushing to the nearest restroom, before Key or Krystal saw her reddened face. Then she comes to realize that it might have been what she feared most—that she has special feelings for her best friend.

Sure enough, Key and Amber have been best buddies since Amber entered the company. Although it starts with Key   who loves making friends and found Amber as an English-speaking one, they eventually found out that they care for each other deeply. Both shared the same interests in fashion and art, and enjoyed each other’s company as they would always say, mutually encouraging in a way. Key found her appearance unique, and so did she find him. Not only that, it seems that only Amber can stand Key’s diva attitude on whatever level it would be. She would be able to reply back with her trademark coolness that got him speechless and caused both to explode in laughter, or just simply smile back and shrug it off. To Amber, Key is the first guy to actually say that she is, in nature, feminine, and that her appearance doesn’t have to deal with the fact that she is (he even mentioned, or kind of pointed out, that she look naturally beautiful in national TV). They will always come to each other for a nice supportive chat, and found that they are refreshed and injected by uber-happiness after doing so. It’s just that Amber couldn’t understand where in the timeline she starts falling for him.

After that incident, Amber has been trying to avoid meeting Key. Amber was thankful that they are busy and had little schedule together, but even to meet him at the company, Amber wouldn’t dare. She knows she will get all awkward because the flashes of the ‘practice scene’ will just pop randomly to her mind if she sees him. Amber also had little interaction with Krystal, they will only talk when they practice together, and in the dorm, Amber will usually be in her room alone, or with Luna when she got back. Luna has been noticing her change of behavior, but haven’t got the right time to talk about it to her.

Key noticed this too, so he decided to text Amber the other night. She seemed okay looking from the texts, but why wouldn’t she look to my eyes when we meet? Key finally decided to ask her to come outside to talk, but she declined. Key thought she might be tired for her schedule so he decided not to bug her with that, but still feels she changes lately.

As for Luna, she finally managed to bring the topic out to her when everybody else slept that night. Amber was taken aback at first and struggled to hide about it. But eventually, she gave up and told Luna everything.

                “You like him, eonni, no doubt about it,” she said.

                “Well, thank you for the confirmation,” she blurted out, then quickly closed with both hands as she realized her tone sounds really offensive, “omo, mianhae, Sunyoung-ah, I don’t know what’s gotten into me.”

                “It’s okay, eonni, you have been keeping it for a long time,” Sunyoung said, “I was also at fault for mentioning something you already knew. So, what do you plan to do?”

                “I don’t know. I guess it’s best that I keep it to myself for now,” Amber looked down, “maybe forever. You know how the company is, I don’t want me, or him, to get in any trouble.”

                “Eonni, chill. You know how things went with Minho-oppa and our Soojung. They are dating yet nothing serious happened. What the company feared most is actually how the fans responded; yet all the interactions can only leave them question marks, they don’t know if it’s real. And you know that’s why we have limited schedules with SHINee sunbaes.”

                Amber sighs. Luna rubs her left arm to comfort her.

                “I know it’s not only that you are worrying about. So what is it?” Luna looked to Amber’s eyes.

                Amber inhaled and exhaled deeply. She put both her hands to her face, and said, “Idontthinkhewikesmeback.”

                “What? I didn’t catch that, eonni, sorry?” Sunyoung pardoned.

                Amber put off her hands and said, “I said,” she took a deep breath again, “I don’t think he likes me back. You know how he called me his namdongsaeng despite all the interactions we shared together, and how he was with Nicole. You know how his fans worships him; they would never want him with a girl like me, that if they count me in as a girl. Bottom line, there’s too many reasons I see that will never bring us together.”

                “Aww, eonni,” Luna hugged her, “you think too much,” she released Amber from the hug and tell her, “it’s okay if you don’t plan to confess. Just play it cool, like you always do. Keep it natural, and don’t hide from him anymore. When you think the time’s right, then say it to him. I suggest you make a move though, before somebody else steals him,” she grinned.

                “Sunyoungie, you...,” Amber furrowed her eyebrows, and they laugh together, “well, yeah. I’m Amber Liu, I’m one tough girl and I won’t be intimidated by only this,” she looked at Luna again, “thank you. I felt much better.”

                “You’re welcome, eonni,” Sunyoung said, then , “aigoo, our Amber eonni fell in love with the Almighty Kibum oppa, eottokhae?”

                “Hey stop it,” Amber dodged her off, “by the way, why do you sound like you’re experienced in this? Don’t tell me you’re now dating Onew oppa already,” Amber teased back.

                Sunyoung’s face reddened, “No, I’m not,” Amber kept looking at her teasingly as if saying don’t you dare lie to me Park Sunyoung, then she continued, “but I, do still, umm, like him.”

                Then the girls laughed at each other and decided to sleep when their eomma, who were awaken by their laughter, yelled at them, “Yah, you kids! Go to bed quickly, we need to look our best tomorrow!”

                “Nae, Vic-eomma!”

------------------------------------

“Embeo~,” Key called her. She turned around to find him properly dressed, ready to perform—looking as good as he had always been.

“Hey oppa,” Amber smiled, reaching her hand out, “good luck for your duet stages tonight, I know you’ll nail it!” She tried to sound as supportive as she has always been to him.

He grabbed her hands and flashed his wide, happy smile, “Thanks! I’ll make sure I’ll do my best! I won’t let you down,” then he put his hand on one of her shoulders, “err, Amber, I...”

“Key, stand by, you’re in on 1 minute!” the flow director called.

Amber looked at him, “You should go now, oppa. Hwaiting!”

He seemed a bit disappointed for the interruption, but then smiled and showed his thumbs-up to her as he rushed to the stage entrance.

--------------------------------------------------

There he goes. With such swagger, Key had all the fans crazy over him—eyes fixed on every detail of action he did. The way he sings, dances, the way he walk on stage has captivated them, and then the ‘show’—playing with the partner’s hair, smirking with such appeal and all the skinships shared. All of these recorded and made all the fans’ heart beats faster, and Amber was watching backstage with the other SHINee boys and f(x) girls, and couldn’t help feeling quite the same way. He did a really great job, but the ‘flirting’ he did made her flinch a little. She kept herself on control by chanting, it’s just a performance and he is not yours, Amber, stop feeling like he is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, he was on stage. She was backstage with the rest of SHINee and f(x) with their SMTown shirts, watching their fellow bandmates, Key and Krystal, performing ‘My First Kiss’. Actually, she was about to give up watching the performances as she was afraid that the others might notice her uneasiness, but Krystal had asked all of the f(x) members to support her by watching her performance. She can’t object as there are no rational reasons she could make and that the whole group might spot her ‘strange behavior’. And so she was there, again, watching every move he made while her heart was racing as she recalled the practice she saw before. She tried to keep her cool though, unlike Minho who was obviously getting redder and doing uneasy stretchings. He was on eagle-eye mode whenever Krystal was shot on camera, and kept biting his lips whenever Key comes closer to her. Jonghyun and Onew, with Victoria and Sulli, was having fun teasing him, while, Luna and Taemin mouthed whispers to each other, obviously worried about Amber, who has gotten fidgety but did not realize that she did.

When it comes to the main show—the one she saw on the practice room—Amber held her breath, covered and looked away, while Minho said a little, low ‘Aish’ which didn’t go unheard by the others. Jonghyun laughed his heart out, pointing at the jealous Minho, who was walking away. Amber stayed, but have just come to realization that Luna was patting her back while Taemin shot a nervous smile. She smiled back at them, assuring she’s fine. After the performance is about to end, she walked away unnoticed by the others as the corridor got crowded by some dancers are getting ready for the next performance.

She found herself in a dim-lighted, small room, trying to calm herself down. Come on Amber, it’s just a performance! You had duet performances too, right? Urgh, hate you hormones! Why of all times you need to pop out right now!? In frustration, she squatted down and rocked her body back and forth. She sunk her head to her folded arms.

                “Amber, you are so pathetic,” she muttered, but clear enough to be heard on the whole room. She has never expected that she would get upset just because of her assumptions. She doesn’t want to be consumed of her own imagination. But why do they seem so real? No way, I’m not myself. I’m seriously sick. This isn’t happening to me. She just couldn’t get the fact that she used to think that it is stupid when Krystal sulked all day because she saw Minho’s kiss scene on the TV series he played on even though at that time they were not in a relationship yet. But now it’s her who is in that position. Urgh, this is so frustrating. She desperately tries to let her heart out, yet she is not the type to scream out loud, so she kind of speak to herself, in a trembling voice.

                “Why pick that song out of a zillion duet songs?”

                “Well, I don’t know. Ask the president,” a familiar voice answered her question. Amber looked up and find Key squatting down and looking directly to her eyes.

                “Uhm, hey, I was talking about my own duet stage plan you see,” Amber tried making excuses, “uh..., the president want me to rap the part of Justin Bieber’s Baby in Henry-oppa’s special stage for Super Junior’s concert. I don’t actually like that song,” Amber let out a nervous laugh.

                Key kept looking at her, “Amber...”

                “Oops, sorry, are you a fan oppa? Please don’t mind me, you know, people have different opinions...,” Amber was at lost of words as Key didn’t say anything and kept looking at her. Ah, stop looking at me like that, my heart can burst anytime! Oh no, my palms are sweaty, I AM SWEATING. Then, she was awakened from the trance as Key grabbed her shoulders.

                “Yah, don’t lie to me. I know it’s not about that,” Key told her, while Amber kept silent as she looked away from him.

                “You have been acting really strange lately, especially when you see the practice,” Key said, and as she was about to make up another excuse, he pointed his finger to her, “Don’t you dare lie again, I saw your red face and uneasy gestures from the practice room mirror everytime we practice, and you always left to the restroom hurrilly whenever we got to the point when we need to do that almost-kiss part.”

                “It’s not like I want to do that, you know. People kept saying that the song is ‘so Key’, or whatsoever, yet I don’t actually feel like I relate to it anyhow. But you know I do have the responsibility to perform well, and it is what is required by the trainers. Don’t ignore me because of this please. Neither Soojung nor I have any options...” But then Amber suddenly looked at him and said.

                “Hey, hey, I understand all of that, okay? You don’t have to explain anything to me. Besides those words earlier seemed like a guy reasoning to her mad girlfriend about a misunderstanding. Chill, oppa, we’re buddies, aren’t we?” Amber talked to him as she stood up.

                “Well, I don’t see you as only that...,” Kibum muttered.

                “Huh? Sorry oppa, what is it that you said earlier?” Amber didn’t catch Kibum’s mumbles.

                Key scratched his head and pulled Amber back to sit in front of him, “Aish, sit down here. I want to tell you something.”

                Amber waited until he finally took her hand and said, “I didn’t see you as merely a buddy, or a namdongsaeng as I always told you, it would be plain stupid if I saw you as that, of course,” Key uttered, “I see you as Amber Liu. I don’t know when it starts, and I don’t know the reason why. Bottom line is,” he took a deep breath, “I, I love you.”

                Amber froze. Until Kibum said, “Please say something.”

                She just can’t think straight and said, “I, I don’t know what to say.” She looked away.

                Kibum sighed, “It’s okay. I was the foolish one to think it was a hint of jealousy, the way you behave. I was the one who assumed you might like me back. Just forget what I said earlier, you’ll feel better when you do. Don’t mind me.” He stood up, and just as he was about to walk away, he felt a pair of hands holding his left arm.

                “N-no, that’s not what I meant,” Amber blurted out, “I mean, umm, I do too.” She managed to say, too nervous to let the ‘word’ out. Kibum turned to look back at her, as Amber loosened her grip, looking away from him.

                “Sorry, Amber, I didn’t catch that,” Kibum wants to confirm.

                “I was saying,” she gained her courage, “I do love you too.”

With that, Key smiled from ear to ear, while Amber’s face was red all over. He kneeled down to hug her as he cannot suppress his laughter because of the joy he felt just now as he heard  she loves him too. Amber who was initially surprised by the sudden action smiled as she hugged him back and was just as glad as Kibum was.

He pulled off from the embrace, stood up and offered his right hand to help Amber stand up, just to be taken by hers as swiftly as she got up. He didn’t let go off his grip, and just dragged Amber out of the room.

                “Where are we going?” Amber managed to ask despite being too dizzy to consume the fact that it has been reciprocal.

Having reached the entrance to the stage which was crowded by their sunbaes and bandmates, Kibum stopped running and opened up his jacket to reveal the SMTown shirt he had worn inside. Amber then realized it was almost the end of the show when all of the artists were supposed to come on stage for the final farewell. She saw that Soojung were smiling sheepishly to the slightly embarassed Minho, who was rubbing the back of his head; which made her feel relieved. She saw Taemin and Luna who were smiling to her as they saw Kibum holding her hand, which made her blush and mouthed ‘thank you’ to them.

She then shifted her glance to Kibum, who was smiling to her. He leaned forward and whispered to her, “Let’s show them we’re for real, like we have always been.”

----------------------------------------------------

A/N: Please forgive me if you think it's too fluffy or cheesy. I'll do my best in the future.