Color the Lights: Chapter 8

Color the Lights

“You’re definitely getting better.”

Donghae set the violin down, giving his instructor an “Are you kidding me?” face. The latter flinched and shrugged, lifting up his own instrument and playing a few long, deep notes. “Alright, show off. I don’t care,” Donghae scoffed, hiding a pout.  

“I’m not showing off,” Henry smiled. “Just listen more carefully and maybe you’ll be able to pick up on a few tricks to get better at violin faster.”

Donghae quirked an eyebrow, “Am I so unbearable as a student that you want me to go away?”

“Will you focus?” Henry sighed, crossing his arms tiredly, lower back leaning against a table. They were deep inside the Lee family’s personal library, practicing in the quiet, well structured area. All of the noises were rich and clear within the space, acting as a drug for the musical high Henry was addicted to.

The older boy strode over to his tutor, bending the slender body over the wooden table. He hovered over him, smirking and sliding one leg between Henry’s. “How can I focus when I’m so distracted?”

“You’ll deal,” Henry frowned, opening his mouth to further defend his point but then a finger was pressing against his lips.

“Anytime and anywhere,” reminded Donghae, eyes flashing victoriously, “Your is mine.”

“Are you kidding me?” he muttered, “…I’m not staying later to finish up our lesson.”

Donghae snickered, “Fine by me.”

“Let me put my violin away first,” Henry stated, poking the taller boy’s leg with the tip of his bow. He was allowed through and he took the chance to move as slowly as possible, reverently placing the instrument back in its case at a painstakingly sluggish pace.

The handsome boy sneaked up behind Henry, hands sliding underneath shirt to rake the soft, smooth skin. “Don’t toy with me,” Donghae murmured darkly, at Henry’s shoulder, careful not to bite or nibble.

“S-Stop being so then,” he breathed, fumbling to snap the lock of his violin case. Once he was free from the task, a deep, resonating moan fell from his mouth.

“I doubt you mean that,” the older one teased, dipping one hand down…

And then there was loud banging on the heavy wooden door.

Henry felt Donghae tear away in a flurry and cross the distance to the door. The slender boy steadied himself on the table, taking ragged breaths from what had been about to happen. His heart nearly stopped when he saw Mr. Lee on the other side of the door, watching with expressionless eyes.

“You wanna talk to me?” Donghae prompted, stepping out of the library. He pushed the door closed, leaving a small gap open.

Mr. Lee’s mask melted away and he shook his head. “I’m not paying for you to sleep with your violin instructor,” he growled, black eyes vehement.

His son’s smile grew ever so slowly, “Oh? And I thought you were paying for that.” Donghae chuckled silently, shoulders shaking. “Chill out,” he rolled his eyes, nodding towards the library, “It’s not like I’m gonna fall in love with someone like him.”

Henry wondered then, why he had decided to approach the opening. It was like he was stupid or something. Obviously, Donghae was capable of standing up to his father. There was no need for “someone like him” to try and help out. Henry would furthermore, have no idea why he continued to listen.

But, perhaps he could reason that it was because he wanted to remind himself just where he and Donghae stood with one another. At times, it felt like the line was blurring and recently, it had been blurring a tad too much.

“You better hope so,” Mr. Lee hissed, “If you’re going to be interested in men at least find a useful one. Really, Donghae, finding a musician to spend your time with?” he bit out with disgust.

Henry glanced down at his hands, feeling like bleaching them clean.

“Trust me,” Donghae sighed, “I don’t spend time with him – not even close,” he stifled a laugh, “he’s not even interesting. You’re the one who taught me promiscuity. Why are you biting my head off, old man?”

They weren’t friends. They most certainly weren’t lovers.

They were convenient.

“How am I forgetting these things?” he mumbled inaudibly, wondering just what sort of cheesy chick flick he had been imagining for him and Donghae. Hadn’t Henry said so himself? Two-faced jerks weren’t his type so what was he doing being hurt by those words?

Donghae spoke again. Apparently Henry had missed the reply from Mr. Lee. “Look,” the older boy said, “I don’t give two s about him as a person so stop making it sound like I’m crazy about him. He’s just…there.”

Henry clenched his fists. How could he let that slip his mind for even a while? It was entirely that bastard’s fault. If he was just cold and cruel all the time, then Henry could be equally harsh. But there were times…too many times, where Donghae showed compassion – maybe fake, but compassion nonetheless.

 “Make it stay that way,” Mr. Lee spat, “and don’t defile my library with anymore of that obscene behavior. How could you forget about the security cameras?”

“Forget?” Donghae repeated innocently, voice taking a sharp turn, “I was using them for my benefit.”

There was an aggravated snarl and then the distinct tap, tap, tap of Mr. Lee’s shoes as he stalked off.

Donghae pulled the library door open, smiling and snickering to himself until he saw Henry waiting in the center of the circular reading area, violin perched on shoulder, bow at the ready.

Flat eyes met Donghae’s and an equally monotone voice spoke softly, “Get your violin. We have twenty minutes left.”

“But…,” he wanted to fight back but then the atmosphere chilled and he dropped the argument, going back to retrieve his instrument.