day dreaming

Staring Into Space

Jinki is sprawled on the couch of SHINee's dorm. His arm is splayed on over his eyes and his legs dangle a bit from the end of the furniture. He can hear the rest of the members behind him, eating lunch (some kimbap and soup Kibum had made) at the dining table. 

"Are you sure you don't want to eat, hyung?" Taemin calls from the kitchen. Jinki replies, Yes, I'm sure. Don't worry about me.

"Let our poor leader rest, Minnie. Here, eat some kimchi. You're way too skinny for your age!" Kibum frets, shoving a piece of kimchi in said boy's mouth. Jonghyun and Minho chuckle when the maknae sputters.

Jinki can hear them converse, mostly small-talk, with Kibum nagging at Taemin to eat more here and there. Soon, the kimbap and soup and kimchi is wolfed down and he can make out the clinking of dishes and the running of water. Thankfully, the members leave Jinki on the couch, thinking he'd fallen asleep. They disperse into their respective rooms, determined to catch up on some much needed sleep while they could. It wasn't often they were given breaks from their hectic idol lives, full of non-stop dancing, high pitched screaming and worn out throats.

He removes his arm from his eyes, messing up his brown hair absentmindedly. It's a miracle his hair still feels somewhat silky, despite years of straightening, curling and dying. He's surprised it's not fried to a crisp, and that he even has any hair left. His arm falls over the side of the couch.

Eventually, the dorm is rendered to silence. At first, he lays there, doing nothing, thinking of nothing. His mind is cluttered with emptiness, clearness, and peacefulness. 

But all good things come to an end, and Jinki finds himself with thoughts of the short, main vocalist of SHINee streaking through his brain. 

Jonghyun's hair is brown, too, albeit a bit darker than his.

Jinki sighs and re-arranges himself on the couch.

He pictures the younger singer's handsome, well structured face, and notes the differences in it compared to when they were still trainees.

Of course, it was still the same face, but over the years his features had changed slighty, bringing Jonghyun from a noona-desperate boy to a manly, fierce person. Although, Jonghyun was getting very good at pulling a variety of expressions, ranging from innocent, to cocky to seductive.

He tries to remember what his first impression of the boy was, before he'd even ever spoken to him, but has some trouble. He doesn't know if it was because it was so many years ago, or because it wasn't particularly special in any way. Of course, he knows he wasn't too fond of the boy in the beginning, becauses it was another person to have to share the fame, spotlight and lines with, both being the two with more powerful voices. But Jonghyun's fun, quirky personality quickly made him change his mind. They had done a lot of things together as trainees, having the same vocal lessons together, and quite frankly, Jonghyun's joking character made it so that he could have probably been friends with almost anybody. Life was good for Lee Jinki at the time.

And then a boy named Kim Kibum joined the team.

No, Jinki doesn't have anything against Kibum, and loves him just as much as he does Minho and Taemin, but he is a bit jealous of the way the two had become so close, so fast. And the fact that the fans shipped the 'JongKey' couple together -which meant lots of fanservice- didn't help.

However, Jinki is mature, logical. He knows it doesn't mean that Jonghyun felt that they were drifting apart or anything, and that they were still best friends. Even if he did have to share the position with Kibum.

But, as much as Jinki had denied it at first, he realized 'best friends' wasn't enough to satisfy him.

But there was nothing he could do about it.

It was pretty obvious that the man he had his eyes on didn't think of him more than a brother and a friend, and a responsible leader to look up to.

It was also pretty obvious the diva of the group had captured his heart, whether he knew it or not. 

Jinki, as leader, is good at observing. He sees whenever the short male offers his water bottle to Kibum before taking a drink himself after a harsh dance practise. He sees how Jonghyun would fuss over Kibum more than usual whenever the younger had fallen asleep on the couch, on the set of a photoshoot or in the waiting room for Inkigayo, fluffing up cushions, pulling up blankets, and shushing everyone around, making sure nothing and no one woke up his angel. And especially, he sees the looks the two exchange, full of unspoken emotions, secrets, inside jokes and fondness.

It was a situation of 'may the best man win', Jinki pressumes, and Kibum, after a series of events, ended up as 'best man', snatching the prize of Jonghyun's heart.

He won fair and square, and Jinki acknowledges that. But it didn't mean he couldn't feel a tiny bit peeved at their special relationship.

Kibum had won, even though Jinki had known Jonghyun longer than he had, has more in common than he did, and possibly, cares more about Jonghyun than Kibum does.

How many days has it been since Jonghyun strolled in that vocal training room Jinki had occupied, proclaiming, "My name is Kim Jonghyun, nice to meet you!" ?

How many days has it been since the day Jinki first thought, 'This kid isn't so bad' ?

How many days has it been since the day Jinki was introduced as Jonghyun's 'best friend' ?

How many days has it been since the day Jinki's heart first jumped at the sight of Jonghyun's just-woken-up puppy eyes?

How many days has it been since the day Jinki fell hard for Kim Jonghyun, the man with many expressions, who was a year younger than him, who had the most powerful, soothing voice Jinki had ever heard, and hadn't even had the chance to pick himself up, to this very day?

Jinki wishes he knew. He also wishes he had known things would end up this way the first day they'd met, so that he could cherish every single day, every single minute spent with Jonghyun.

He puts his hands up to his tired eyes and rubs at them. He feels an emotional headache coming on. When he takes his hands away, he jumps, because he sees the very person he's been thinking about standing at the foot at the couch. 

Jonghyun chuckles and lifts up Jinki's legs, sits down on the couch, and places them onto his lap. Jinki's skin tingles pleasantly.

"What are you doing up?" Jinki manages to croak, voice cracking from not speaking.

Jonghyun smiles. "I slept for a bit, but then I woke up cause Minho kept muttering some random crap in his sleep," he says. 

Jinki blinks. "Oh," he says dumbly.

"So, what were you doing? Day dreaming?" Jonghyun asks tilting his head to the side. Jinki has to resist pinching his cheeks.

Then he thinks of how simple it would be to just hold his hand, and tell him how he felt. How easy, how effortless, it would be to just sit up from his position, and lean over and give Jonghyun a kiss on the cheek. How nice it would be to just stare into Jonghyun's deep brown eyes and just drown a wonderful death in them.

And then he snaps out of it, because reality gives him a cold, hard slap across the face, screaming, 'that's never going to happen, and you know it. stop being like this.'

He sees Jonghyun's confused expression at his long pause, and quickly responds. "Yeah. Day dreaming."

The younger of the two gives a small smile. "About what?" he inquires.

'About you,' Jinki wants to say. 'I've been dreaming of you, not just day dreaming. Dreaming. As in, I want you to be mine. I want to to be mine and no one else's, especially Kibum's, because I love you and I wish you knew that.'

Jinki lets loose a slow, shaky smile. "Nothing, really," he says at last. "Nothing at all."

Jonghyun opens his mouth to say something, but at that moment, Kibum stumbles out of his room, most likely still half asleep, and walks towards the bathroom, and Jinki sees how Jonghyun's gaze follows him, eyes filled with something Jinki is not quite sure of yet, other than the fact that it is strong and almost overwhelming for the boy. Jinki tears his eyes away from the sight.

The question, 'How many more days until Jonghyun loves me?' pops into Jinki's head, and almost instantly he already knows the answer, deep inside.

It's practically spelled out for him in Jonghyun's love filled eyes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------
A/N: GAH! My first writing piece on AFF >< Sorry it , this idea just popped into my head the moment I woke up, and I had to get it down!
Leave a comment below on what you think/anything to improve on? Pretty please? ^^ ♥

(Also, am I the only one who is DYING to watch the Sherlock music video? Seriously, SM, stop trolling us shawols. We've been waiting two whole days in front of the computer  -.-)