Second Encounter

Still Waters Run Deep

~Andrea~ 

It had been a week since Micky had spoken to me and the fluttering feeling I had once felt simply thinking about our exchange had faded.  Soon I stopped thinking about it…and him altogether.  Although I avoided high school drama at all costs and didn’t have much of a social life, my academic course load was heavy, even as a freshman.  I didn’t have time to wonder about Micky or his intensions, those thoughts be foul or fair.

Then we had our second encounter. 

We were in the same Civics and Citizenship class, meeting in the library to begin a project.  I sat down at an empty table in the corner.  Just before the bell rang Micky slid into the seat across from me.  I must have looked surprised because he shot me a smile before turning his attention to our teacher.  For a rumored delinquent he was fairly attentive when it came to academics. 

 “Okay, you guysss know what you need to do.  Find a partnerrr.  Find a computerrrr.  This is not a time to gossip or to chat.  Sit down, be quiet, and wait for further instructionssss.  Go.”   Mr. Johnson, the freshman social studies teacher as well as the varsity volleyball coach, was as successful a teacher as he was a coach. 

The varsity volleyball team lost sixteen out of their sixteen games that year. 

 Mr. Johnson’s worth as a teacher aside, twenty students followed his instructions and shuffled to the computers that bordered the library’s perimeter.  I settled myself at one of the computers near the rear exit and typed in my user name and password.  Micky sat down in front of the vacant computer beside me. 

 “Hey, Beautiful.”  He said, smiling brightly at me.  I’m sure my expression was one of mixed confusion and shock.  Either way he seemed to enjoy my reaction because he chuckled.  “What?  No one’s ever called you ‘beautiful’ before?” 

 On paper his words sound almost mocking…but at that moment, the way he said them sounded so sincere.  I glanced at him but chose to say nothing.  I was not even pretty, much less ‘beautiful.’  The typical stereotypical nerd, I had the thick, dark-rimmed glasses and braces.  The only things I lacked were the pocket protector and snort-infested laugh.  My long brown hair was too thin to wear long but I insisted on keeping it that way, always worn as a pitiful braid that reached my rear end or in a tight bun.  My skin was blotchy and I still had baby fat throughout my body.  I was so far from what Micky had labeled me as…and yet he was so sincere.  I simply blushed, focused on the computer screen, and decided to pretend he had never used that adjective as a proper noun representing me.

 ~Micky~

 Okay, so I was, and still am, known for sweet-talking girls.  It’s not hard to do.  Just tell them what they want to hear.  Still, I only gave a complement if I really meant it.  Never lie to a girl.  Most of them will bite your head off when they find out you were lying…and, believe me, they will.  I may have complemented too many girls to number but usually only girls who were used to complements. 

Apparently Andrea wasn’t used to being complemented for her looks.  I had no idea why I decided to say what I did to her.  I was completely out of my league with this girl.  She was a loner, top five percent of our class, and very shy.  Sure, she looked like a little mouse at first glance, but the more I watched her the more I saw her potential beauty.  By the end of my first week at my new high school, she really did seem beautiful to me.  I was sure she would be something to look at before we graduated. 

 “Hey, Beautiful.”  Before I could think twice I had already said the words.   Hearing those words come out of my mouth shocked me as much as it had shocked her.  I watched her face change expressions before she looked away, blushing.  That was probably the effect I wanted from the start.  “What?  No one’s ever called you ‘beautiful’ before?”  Again, the words just slipped out.  She blushed and stared at the computer.  I knew I was smiling foolishly but I didn’t really care.  “Let’s be partners, okay?”  I asked.  She nodded.

“All right.”

 Starting at a new school gives a kid a fresh start.  Teachers call it a ‘blank slate.’  So us new kids tend to set a few unconscious goals each time we enter a new school.  Some make it their goal to create a new image for themselves.  Others to make a lot of friends. 

My one goal was to get to know this girl and get her to open up to me.  Easier said than done.