First Words

Still Waters Run Deep

~Andrea~

 I looked up and saw the new boy standing in front of me.  He smiled and gave me a slight wave. 

"Hey, I'm Micky."

 I tried to hide my surprise.

"Hi."  I answered.  "Um...I'm Andrea."  He smiled again and sat down in the seat next to mine, crossing his arms on the circular, gray table top. 

 "What are you drawing?"  He asked in that smooth, deep voice.  I never was good with words so I nodded towards the poster on the wall.  He looked at the poster of a cat with an academically inclined slogan at the bottom then back at my sketch. 

"Hey, that's really good."  He said finally.  I was embarrassed but his tone was convincingly sincere and full of interest.  I focused on shading my drawing.  "Are you taking any art classes outside of school?" 

 The way he kept peering into my eyes unnerved me.  I shook my head, dropping my eyes and pushing the rims of my glasses up.  He continued to smile, not at all concerned that I wasn't speaking much.

"You should definitely think about it.  I have this friend at my old school who really likes to draw.  He took a professional class and said he really liked it."  He was serious, I glanced at him to be sure.

"Mmm...I'll think about it."  He nodded. 

"That's good."  Before he could say more the bell rang.  I started to gather my things and we both stood. 

"I seem to have a lot of classes with you so I'll see you later."  He said.  I smiled ever so slightly.

"Okay."  The I turned and walked away from our first conversation.

 ***********************************************************

 ~Micky~

 I watched her walk away.

 "Bye, Andrea!"  I called after her.  I liked the way her name felt as it slipped through my mouth.  My tongue formed the syllables.  Ann-dree-uh.  She turned and waved slightly before hurrying out the door.

 The boy one of the teachers had recruited as my guide appeared beside me.  He wasn't like the guys from my regular crowd.  I had watched him too when Andrea wasn't around. He was large and friendly, the type of guy who can fit in with any group.  Nerds, jocks, preps, druggies...you name it.  I even saw him slip in with a group of all girls without them screaming or flirting with him.  They didn't even break their conversation and included him in their talk as if he had been sitting with them the whole time.  I had to give the guy props...not everyone can pull that off.

 "Please tell me you don't have a thing for her."  He said.  I raised my eyebrows and looked at him.

"So what if I do?"  I asked.  He shook his head and smiled goofily.

"I don't know.  But she's one of those model students, perfect child girls."  He explained as we walked toward the lockers.  "Super smart...but she doesn't talk often.  She just doesn't seem like your type."

 "Relax, Matt."  I said, opening my locker.  "I just think she's interesting." 

"Okay."  Matt said, scratching his head.  A friendly guy like that doesn't feel a need to get on the new kid's bad side.  But he did chuckle and add, "You really have strange taste."

 ***********************************************************

 ~Andrea~

 Honestly, I did think about Micky a lot that day.  But I avoided him after our first conversation.  His attention made me uncomfortable.  At the same time he had a very relaxing aura about him.  It extended farther than the smell of cigarette smoke that clung to his loose-fitting jeans and tattered hoodie.  He distracted me, confused me, and made me flustered.  All three of which concerned me deeply. 

So I avoided him.

 

 ***********************************************************

 ~Micky~

 She seemed to be avoiding me. 

No problem.  I sought her out.  It's not hard to do in a school of only 400 students.  I could pick her out from the small crowd the minute I walked through the door.  It was even easier when that "crowd" was the standard eighteen other students in a classroom.  I smiled to myself every time I found her but she didn't seem to notice I was there.  I didn't talk to her for a while.  No need to scare her off after our first conversation.  I had a feeling it would take a lot of effort to gain her attention...and her trust. 

I probably should have gotten bored with her...but I wanted to know if still waters really ran as deep as people say...