one

Floriography
Please log in to read the full chapter

Floriography  

 

Cactus and Yellow Roses

 

Hyejin was tired.

 

She had a lot on her mind, and she knew that she was not at her best, even though she was in the middle of her comeback. 

 

She had been working on new music for over a year, but even though her plans, at the beginning, had been to work on a full album to follow up Maria, she kept finding herself stuck.


 

She should know by now that things never went how you expected them to go. So she did her best to at least release a few songs, to give back something to her fans who had been so patiently waiting for her comeback. 


 

Hyejin was still not fully satisfied with it. 


 

She arrived at the Naver studio where her unnie worked as a host with her energy on a low level, and once again, she felt glad that at least she could rely a bit on Byul’s presence to help her get through the schedule. 


 

She basked in the comfortable atmosphere of the place Moonbyul had made her own. Sitting cross-legged and shoeless on the chair while the older girl talked to her staff before the live started. 


 

The CEO Moon persona was a fascinating thing to witness in person, and she felt a smile appear on her face at the thought of her once reserved and shy unnie growing into the confident and admiring person she was now. 


 

They started the live show with ease. Their chemistry and years of friendship shined through from the first moment, and it made Hyejin immediately feel relaxed.


 

“I have a gift for you!” Byul said with a happy grin on her face.


 

She moved around the studio and grabbed a little bouquet of yellow roses and a little cactus in a pot. 

Hyejin let out a surprised sound and took the gifts, looking at them, speechless.

 

Gift-giving had always been a love language particularly shared by the both of them, and flowers were something she was well aware her unnie often gave to people dear to her. 

 

So it wasn't the first time, and it was not surprising at all, in retrospect, but in that moment, it still touched her in a deep way she didn't expect.


 

Byulyi explained to her the meaning of the little thorny pot, “ Resilience” and suddenly tears started forming in her eyes.


 

Hyejin felt Byul’s arm surrounding her while she cooed and awed at her, and the comfort that had been there the moment she had seen her grew tenfold. 


 

Hyejin was tired, but like the sea washes away writing on the sand, she felt Byulyi’s warmth do the same with the doubts and fears that had been plaguing her. 


 

In a few moments, she would laugh through her tears and tell her unnie that she, in fact, did not like cacti, tears still fresh on her face and voice still wobbly.

 

She would relish in the love and affection Byulyi gave her and know that no matter how many times she felt the darkness lurk in the corner of her mind, she would always have her unnie ready to turn on the light and keep them at bay. 


 

Hyejin took in her unnie’s familiar perfume and let herself be comforted. She let herself be held.



 

 

100 Red Roses and Baby Breaths


 

Yongsun was nervous. 


 

She would not let that stop her from doing her best, but she couldn't deny that this was a different challenge from her usual ones, and part of her was anxious about her theater debut. 


 

She took in a long calming breath and looked at herself in the mirror, staying still while the makeup artist worked around her and going over her lines for the nth times in her head. 


 

A knock on her door distracted her from her thoughts, and when it opened, revealing Moonbyul holding a huge bouquet of red roses, she didn’t even try to mask the genuine overwhelming wave of affection that lit up her whole face.


 

“Ohh Moonbyul-ssi!” She said, warmth coating her teasing tone.


 

The scrunched face and the pride in Byulyi’s voice while talking about the number of flowers she had brought her, made her smile grow fonder. 


 

After that, Yongsun still felt nervous about the huge feat she was about to tackle, but while talking about it with her best friend, her excitement took over. 


 

It almost felt like half of her nerves had been stolen by the other woman while she listened to Yongsun ramble.


 

Byul whispered good luck to her before leaving to go to her seat, hand softly clutching at her wrist, looking to give and get comfort, like she had done time and time again.


 

When her first show was done, and she opened the door of her waiting room, body still filled with adrenaline and a swirl of contrasting emotions, the first thing she saw was the now familiar beautiful bouquet of red roses being into her arms.


 

She took the flowers and took in the cheers and congratulations from all around her. 


 

Yongsun was relieved, but the rush of adrenaline in her body still had her hands shake a bit while she clutched the flowers to her chest.


 

She turned to look at Byulyi, who was beaming at her, and let out a chuckle when the younger girl started to cry.


 

Yongsun for the tears before feeling her own eyes suddenly watering. 


 

“I could see your hardship,” Byulyi said, sincerity and understanding dripping from her every word.


 

Yongsun covered her eyes, tears flowing freely, and, not for the first time, felt seen

Please log in to read the full chapter