Fin

Elevator Lady

Every morning, Momo would go out to have a morning stroll with her two puppies named Boo and Dobby. And it has to be at 8 in the morning. Even if Momo was exhausted after her shift at Restaurant from the night before, her two puppies will disturb her sleep and let her know that it’s their morning stroll time.

The same thing happened today.

Currently, Momo just came out from her apartment and heading towards the elevator. She didn’t have much energy to dress up so she just wore her sleeping attire; oversize white t-shirt, sky-blue flannel pajama pants, and red slippers.

She just let her two over-excited puppies dragged her while she still blinking her eyes, trying to keep herself awake. Of course, both are on leashed. But once they arrived in front of the elevator, Momo had to carry them up so they won’t disturb others.

Well, Momo’s lack of strength was all because she had a very exhausted day at work yesterday.

Yesterday, she was supposedly only had a morning-noon shift. But because her co-worker couldn’t come for the noon-night shift and the restaurant was packed, Momo had to cover the spot and it made her spend the entire day working. Then once Momo arrived from her tiring day at work, she planned to stay asleep until an hour before her next shift on the following day. Which is today’s noon.

Unfortunately, her puppies weren’t on board with the plan as they woke her up 4 hours earlier than she had planned just because they need their morning stroll..

But as annoying as it might sound, Momo was fine with it. Both Boo and Dobby looked so happy as it shown from their tail that wiggled excitedly and they “attacked” Momo with lots of kisses. So, yeah… It’s worth it.

 

After a minute of waiting, the elevator had arrived.

When the door opened, instead of walked into it immediately, Momo froze at her spot. All because of a woman who stood inside it.

The woman has a very sophisticated-elegant look, wearing a matching black blazer and knee-length skirt, beige silk top underneath it and the women styled her black long hair a bit wavey.

Yes. The appearance of that woman, made Momo stunned.

 

At first, the woman didn’t notice Momo’s presence since she was busy with her phone. But thanks to Boo’s bark, the woman lifted up her head from her phone and saw the frozen Momo.

 

In a quick motion, the woman reached the elevator button and pressed the ‘<>’ button while trying to gain Momo’s attention, “Miss?”

“Hm?”

“Are you perhaps going to ride the elevator?”

Momo who was still in daze, needed few second before she finally realized what actually happened. “Oh! Yeah, right!” Momo finally collected her consciousness and stepped into the elevator.

“I’m really sorry.” Said Momo as she gave a quick and short bow to the woman, “and thank you for holding the door.”

The sophisticated looking woman gave Momo a short smile before she said, “It’s nothing. You’re heading to LG, right?”

“Y-yes.” And the woman pressed the LG button for Momo, “Thank you.”

 

“god.. why I keep embarrassing myself like this..” grunted Momo in her thought

 

The thing is, it’s not the first time for Momo to encounter that woman. She didn’t know her name, didn’t know which floor she lives at, but every time Momo took her puppies out for morning stroll, she frequently met that woman—mostly at weekdays only. Seems like at that hour, is the latter’s usual go-time.

So, when that woman knew that Momo was about to go to the LG floor, its all because of their frequent encounter.

Although it wasn’t the first time and it keep repeating again and again, Momo still couldn’t help herself not to get stunned upon the woman’s appearance.

Every single time the elevator door opened and that woman stood there, Momo would react the same way: Froze on her spot.

Then Momo will always drown in embarrassment and didn’t dare to stand right beside the woman nor even dare to start a conversation. She always, ALWAYS stood right in front of the door, gave her back to that woman and never spoke out any words. She is too embarrassed to start a conversation.

Not to mention Momo looked way more dreadful today—sloppy yet childish sleepwear and an obvious sleep-deprived face…  She just wished that this would never happen again.

Oh well…. She’s been wishing the same thing every single day but somehow, it keeps happening.

>><< 

Later during the night

Momo currently in her workplace—an authentic Korean cuisine restaurant called Yoo’s Kitchen, or to be more precise she’s in the employee locker room. Her shift was done for today and she’s getting ready to go home.

She is so exhausted. Well, it’s not a surprised since yesterday she had a packed day yet her rest was interrupted by her two puppies early in the morning. The lack of rest surely made her felt a bit under the weather.

All she wanted to do now is go back home, have a warm bath, snuggle with her puppies and sleep. Just then, Yoo Jeongyeon—the restaurant owner’s daughter who also the store supervisor and Momo’s best friend since university, came in.

 

“Oh great! You’re still here.” Said Jeongyeon

Since Momo was so exhausted, she let out a grunt, “ugh… Please no more overtime.”

“It’s actually the opposite. Chaeyoung said she’s going to do double shift tomorrow and since you covered hers yesterday, why don’t you take a day off?”

The annoyance on Momo’s face immediately vapored away, “day off?? Tomorrow?? For real?”

“Yup. No need to go to work tomorrow.”

“No surprise call?”

“yes, promise. No matter how busy the store gets, I won’t disturb your rest.”

 

Hearing that, Momo immediately stormed to Jeongyeon and gave her a big hug

 

“Oh my god! You’re a savior! I love you so mu—”

Jeongyeon had to quickly shoved Momo’s face away because the latter was about to lend a smooch on her cheek, “wow! Wow! Calm down. I know my kindness is alluring but I have girlfriend already.”

“Ugh...” Momo broke her hug immediately, “no need to flaunt your relationship status like that.” complained Momo.

“Well, you might have chance on following my step if you brave enough to talk to your crush.”

“W-what crush? I don’t have a crush.”

“Haha yea yea. Won’t buy that. anyway I have to go back. Send my greetings to that pretty elevator lady. See ya!”

“Yah! I don’t ha—”

 

*THUD*

 

and just like that, Jeongyeon left the room. Without giving any chance for Momo to clarify nor to counter her.

 

So… Yes, Jeongyeon knew about Momo’s frequent embarrassing morning with the sophisticated looking woman or The Pretty Elevator Lady based on Jeongyeon’s nickname for that person. Although she never saw the lady, but judging by the fact that Momo kept getting stunned upon seeing her, became a strong evident that the lady is indeed very pretty.

And well… Momo indeed crushing on that lady. But she just didn’t want to loudly admit it to everyone. Because most of her friends, pushed her to do something about it, yet she herself knew that it impossible for a woman with such beauty wanted to be with her.

 

Yes, Jeongyeon wasn’t the only one who knew and love teasing Momo about the pretty elevator lady. Her other co-workers—Son Chaeyoung and Minatozaki Sana, also loves teaming up with Jeongyeon to tease Momo about it. Even earlier when Momo was about to clock in, they asked her whether she met The Lady or not and once they knew about the repeated situation…. Momo got teased hard—throughout her entire shift.

So basically, she is drained today. Physically and mentally.

But fortunately, she had day off tomorrow. She could sleep and lazing around as much as she wants. Even though she still had to do Boo and Dobby’s morning walk, but at least she could still go back to sleep after that.

So yeah… now all she wanna do is go back home and have some sleep.

 

After she done changing her uniform and packed her things, she went out from the employee room and exit through the back entrance.

But when she was just coming out from the back entrance door, she stopped. Not because of a person, but because of a sound—faint and barely audible.

Momo tried to focus all her senses towards that faint sound, to make sure she didn’t mishear it. When the noise came again, she finally realized... It was a sound of a whimpering puppy.

Momo immediately forgot her exhaustion and rushed towards the source of the sound—pile of box on the corner of the alley. Momo was sure that the poor puppy must be inside one of it.

 

Momo tracked the sound first, trying to find which box contained the puppy. And once she found it, she carefully separate other boxes until finally, she had full vision of it.

A tiny light brown furred puppy covered in a blanket, crying for help.

 

Momo tried to examine the surrounding first, trying to find any sign of its owner or parents. But no.. the poor puppy was all alone.

With that, Momo grabbed her phone and called a friend of hers who’s also Boo and Dobby’s vet. Hoping that she could help with the emergency.

 

“Yes, Eonni?”

“Hey Tzu, are you still in the clinic? I have an emergency.”

“I was about to leave. Did something happen?”

“I found an abandoned puppy and it looks so weak… here you can hear it right?” asked Momo as she slightly shoved her phone a bit closer to the box so Tzuyu could hear the whimper.

“Did the puppy wounded or anything?”

“I don’t think so… the puppy wrapped up pretty good in a blanket.”

“Okay, just bring it here eonni. I’ll check on him.”

“Amazing! Be there as fast as I can.”

 

And after that, Momo cautiously carried the box and power walked to the clinic that was around the area.

>< 

It’s been nearly an hour for Momo to be in the clinic. Well, she already knew about the puppy’s condition. Tzuyu said that he’s lucky that Momo brought him quicker. If he was brought a bit later, he might be in worst state than now.

He was cold, dehydrated, slightly underweight and lack of nutrition. Although from a quick exaMination there’s no sign of any physical injuries, Tzuyu still needed to make another through check-up once the puppy fully regained his strength back.

Now that the situation had been taken care off, there’s a new follow up problem and that’s what Momo and Tzuyu discussing now.

 

“Eum Tzu… You said he needs to be hospitalized, right? so um about the fee… how much will it takes?”

“He really isn’t yours, right?”

“Yes.. I really found him trapped between boxes.”

“Then you don’t need to worry about paying anything. I’ll take care of it.”

“REALLY?? OH MY BABY TZU YOU’RE SUCH AN ANGEL!!!” Said Momo as she jumped on her immediately and gave Tzuyu a big hug.

“Okay eonni I get it. No need to nuzzled your sweaty face on me…”

 

Tzuyu wasn’t lying. Momo face was a bit sweaty due to power-walking while holding a box of puppy. Although that made Momo pouted a bit, she still pulled away.

 

“Anyways… Once he’s cured… will you adopt him?” Asked Momo

“As much as I want to… I can’t. I already have Kaya, Butter and now that Dahyun eonni just moved in, I also have Ahri… if I bring this puppy home too, I think Dahyun eonni might not like it.”

“Then kick Dahyun out of your apartment!!”

“Really? that’s your solution?” asked Tzuyu with a flat expression and then she continued, “I was planning on giving him to the shelter that affiliated with our clinic..”

 That respond, immediately made Momo let out a big sad sigh

 

“I don’t want him to be in the shelter…”

“The shelter is good, eonni. Again, it’s affiliated with our clinic so you don’t have to worry.”

“But still… Someone abandoned him and he needs lots lots of love”

“Then, why don’t you adopt him?”

“I don’t think I can.. With my current income, I don’t think I could afford to take care another puppy...”

“How about we make a flyer ad?”

Momo dramatically grasped at Tzuyu’s suggestion, “and let random people take care of him?? No!”

“You can interview them first. If you think they are responsible enough, then let them keep him. Or, why don’t you ask someone you know? Like your co-workers, or neighbor maybe? And I’ll try to contact someone else too. Maybe some of my fellow vets want to adopt one.”

“Okay fine.. Let’s try both… But please, make sure only the most responsible and caring person that allowed to be his new home.”

“Of course I will.”

 

After few more discussion, both decided to go back home and rest.

>>><<< 

The next day

Despite today was Momo’s day-off, her morning still got busy. She needed to take Boo and Dobby to their morning stroll and after that meet the apartment management, asking permission to put an adoption flyer ad on the information board.

So here she is, waiting for the elevator with Boo and Dobby on her arms and somehow managed to clipped the A4 flyers in between her grip.

But right now, her main focus isn’t talking to the apartment management. But whether she would meet the elevator lady or not.

Momo came out at the same time as per usual, and judging from previous experiences, big chance that they would cross path again. But different from the previous days… Today, she determined not to embarrassed herself in front of the elevator lady by maintaining her focus.

Although Momo was still sleepy due to making the flyer till late last night, she didn’t look as lousy as yesterday. She changed to a bit more proper clothes—but not too much so it won’t look like she was trying to dress up, and she kept mumbling “No more dozing off. Focus.” as a mantra so she wouldn’t do the same thing like previous days.

 

*DING*

 

The elevator finally here and Momo was fully ready, determined that she won’t get stunned like the other days. Once the door opened, there she saw the elevator lady… Wearing a set of broken white blazer and pants with her long black hair styled a bit wavy.

 

But just before she about to step inside, the woman spoke,

 

“Morning.”

 

And that… Momo didn’t prepare herself for that greeting.

 

“Y-yeah.” That’s her reply. The sudden greeting threw Momo off guard and somehow, she could only manage to say that. but she regained quicker this time, “I-I mean, You too! g-good morning to you too. yeah.”

 

But different with Momo, the woman rather calm and responded that with her soft and gentle smile. Which it made Momo more embarrassed for being weird.

 

“Not coming in?”

“Ah! Y-yes! right… Sorry.”

 

Then same like always, the woman pressed the LG floor and slowly went back to the corner back of the lift. Once the elevator door was shut…. Everything went silence.

 

Momo thought that today would be the same like usual. She would only stay silent the entire ride while facing the elevator door, and the lady will be busy with her phone. But she was wrong and again… not prepared for it.

 

“Miss?”

Momo jolted at the sudden call but still managed to turn around. The way Momo responded, made the lady felt guilty, “Oh my. I’m sorry, didn’t mean to startled you.”

“N-no! i-it’s fine. I was uh.. just dozing of that’s all.. So… is there anything I could help?”

“I just wanna ask.. Do your puppies tend to get anxious in narrow spaces? I notice that you always hold your puppies every time you’re in elevator. I’m sorry if I seem a bit nosy.”

“Them? No, not at all. I hold them like this because I’m afraid that they might disturb other people.”

“Ah… I see… if that the reason, then you can put them down if you want. Don’t mind me. I’m more worried about you since both of them look a bit heavy.” And the lady ended her words with a small smile

“Oh no no! it’s fine. You don’t have to worry much. I can manage to hold them… they’re not that heavy.”

“Are you… sure?” Momo answered it with a firm nod

“Also, these two are highly sociable. If I put them down, they’ll be too excited and probably going to greet you in the most chaotic way… I’m afraid that they’ll dirtied your clothes.”

 

Well, yes of course Momo was acting all tough. Boo and Dobby are chonky puppies. Especially Boo. But Momo didn’t want to trouble the lady since she knew how crazy Boo and Dobby get once they were allowed to greet someone new.

 

“Okay then, I understand... But, may I pet them? I’ve always wanted to pet them yet afraid that you won’t like it..”

“Oh, sure! You can pet them. No worries.”

 

The lady then stepped closer to Momo and gave pats to both Boo and Dobby. They still on Momo’s arms, of course.

 

When the lady played with Boo and Dobby, she talked using different tone. Which is the usual tone when people talk to pets… and due to that, Boo Dobby greeted her in huge excitement, made the lady giggled and smile brightly upon it.

Somehow, witnessing that scene from such close proximity… Made Momo blushed.

All this time, Momo never thought that the elevator lady would have this side in her. The elegant, sophisticated, rich boss image, already deeply imprinted on her.  Momo find it fascinating to see the lady could be soft, cheerful, and caring like this.

 

Not to mention that the lady has a very nice scent. A cherry like scent that gave such an expensive, sweet and a bit y scent that match so well with her whole vibe. So yeah, Momo couldn’t help but stare and enjoy the moment.

 

But once again, the lady threw her off guard as she suddenly stopped patting the dogs and asked her something. Since Momo was staring until she dozed off, she didn’t fully hear the question but at least Momo managed to hear the lady said the word ‘name’. With confidence, she said

 

“So the blonde and a bit bigger one, is Dobby. The dark brown and chunkier one, is Boo.”

“and the cutie one?”

Momo paused a bit, confused with what she meant. “Um… both?”

The lady suddenly giggled then followed by, “So, your name is Both then?

 

*THUMP* *THUMP*

 

“I was actually asking for your name earlier, not your dogs.” said the lady, still with a bit trace of giggle that had not worn out, “but the information still valuable, thank you.”

“Oh! Hahaha! Silly me. Sorry I doze off quite often so yeah.. I indeed didn’t hear your question clearly..”

 

Although Momo sounded so awkward and nervous, the lady was kind enough not to comment much. She just smiled at her.

 

“Well, I uh.. my name is Momo. Hirai Momo.”

“Pleased to meet you, Miss Hirai.”

“J-just Momo is fine… you don’t have to be that formal with me.”

“Likewise, then. I’m Myoui Mina and you can just call me Mina.”

 

Despite the lady—Mina, gave her such soft and calm smile, it done completely the opposite to Momo’s mind. It didn’t make her calm and just made her more nervous and shyer. Made her wanted to run from the situation.

But she’s still on the 7th floor. There are still few more floors before her stop. So the only way to run from the situation, is by starting new conversation.

 

“B-by the way… You do like dogs, right?”

“True.”

“Then… Would you consider to adopt one?”

Mina’s bright face turned confuse upon the question. “You want me to adopt one of them?”

“Oh no no! it’s not them. It’s for different puppy. Here, I have flyer about it.”

 

Although she struggled a bit, Momo managed to give one of the flyers so Mina could read it.

 

“Last night, I found a tiny dachshund puppy at the back of my workplace. Someone probably abandoned him there.”

“Oh my! that’s awful… how is he?”

“When I found him, he was cold, underweight and lack of nutrition. He is currently hospitalized but the vet said that he’ll be okay.”

“You’re not planning to adopt him?”

“I personally wanted to keep him. But… Financially, I’m not able to support three puppies. So, this is why I’m searching for someone who wants to adopt him.”

“I see…”

 

Mina then continued to read the flyer that Momo made with her bare minimum graphic design skill. Seeing how serious Mina got as she read the flyer, somehow made Momo felt a bit guilty for giving such offer.

 

“N-no pressure though! I won’t force you if you don’t want to. Just maybe consider it? Or if you knew someone close to you that you think responsible enough to have a pet, please let me know. My contact is there on the flyer. You can keep it.”

“Okay. I’ll think about it. Although I don’t have any experience with pets but I’ll inform you as soon as possible.”

“Great!”

 

And right on que, the elevator suddenly stopped and it showed ‘LG’ on it screen.

“Well, this is my stop. Nice talking to you and have a nice day, Mina.”

“Have a nice day too, Momo.”

 

After that, Momo walk out of the elevator towards the main lobby door as fast as she could without looking back.

>>><<<

Three days after that, 5pm at Yoo’s Kitchen employee’s room

“Hhhh..”

As soon as Momo came inside the employee room, she let out a sigh.

“What’s wrong? Heavy day? But… today not lot of customer came though..” asked Sana, her best friend since high school and also part timer waiter in Yoo’s Kitchen.

“No it’s not about work… I’m worried for the puppy.”

“Still got no progress with the adoption?” Momo answered it with a meek nod

“oh no… I’m so sorry.. I really really want to adopt him. But my apartment didn’t allow any pets…”

Momo looked up at Sana and said this with her flat + exhausted face, “then move out.” That, made Sana smacked Momo’s arm. Lightly of course.

“I just moved there, silly.”

 

So, it’s been three days but still no progress regarding the adoption. Momo had posted the adoption flyer on her apartment’s information board, but still no one reached her. Even her friends… All she got was a no from them. In polite way of course…

Jeongyeon… she actually considering it. But her apartment-mate and also girlfriend, Nayeon, quickly stopped her because there already have 3 dogs and 1 cat in their home. Another one would be too much for their tiny apartment.

Momo was expecting Sana to agree with the adoption idea. She loves puppies but never got the chance to own one. But like what she said earlier, her apartment didn’t allow any pets so she couldn’t adopt the poor puppy. Same case with Chaeyoung.

Then, there’s no news too from Tzuyu. She’s still asking around her co-worker and also asked Dahyun to spread the notice to some of her acquaintance.

 

“What about that pretty elevator lady?”

Momo threw a glare, “why you suddenly bring her to this conversation?”

“Whoa calm down Ms. Grumpy. You said you gave her the adoption flyer too, right?”

“Oh… yeah right. I forgot about that.”

“WHAT? What do you mean forgot?”

“W-well…. I kinda use that flyer to flee away from awkwardness…So… I didn’t expect anything from that.”

 

Hearing that, Sana stood fully facing Momo with her arms crossed and asked, “You know. You haven’t told me much about this pretty elevator lady.”

“Cause there’s nothing much to tell? I don’t know anything about her and the time when I handed her the adoption flyer, was the very first time we ever talk that long..”

Sana clicking her tongue while shaking her head, disbelief with her friend’s lack of game “no wonder you’ve been single these whole years…”

“Shut up.. but anyways back to the flyer, she hasn’t said a word about it ever since.”

“Why don’t you ask her.”

“I haven’t seen her after that day.”

“Then just call or text her?”

“How? I don’t have her number.”

 

Sana’s eyes opened wide, shocked with what she just heard, “What?? So, when you talked to her you only—You know what? Whatever. Let’s just end this conversation, pack our things and go home, Okay?”

“Actually, I wanted to see the puppy after this.”

“Again?? Momo you’ve visited him every single day!”

 

Yes, in the last three days, Momo always stopped by at the clinic just to see the puppy. Although Tzuyu had reminded her that she didn’t have to visit every single, Momo didn’t care. She already emotionally attached to that puppy.

 

“So what?? I’m emotionally attached to him!”

“Hhh… At this point, you really are going to grow old as a puppy granny. Live alone only with your dogs.”

“Hey that’s rude!”

 

After all of that, Sana and Momo started changing their uniform.

>< 

Momo finished changing her clothes faster than Sana as the latter still in the changing cubicle inside the room.

Per usual, Momo always checking her phone after she finished her shift. Since she is a kitchen staff, phone is prohibited. So now, she’s checking it in case there’s unread text or missed call. And to her surprised… There’s one missed call and a message from an unknown number.

Usually Momo would ignore it, thinking it might just be a spam or fraud. But since it could be someone who interested with the adoption, she quickly checked it. And once she read the message, she immediately called back the number.

 

“Hello?”

“Uh Yes! hello! I-Is this Miss Myo—I mean Mina? Is this Mina?”

“Yes, you’re right.”

“Hi! Uh… I’m Momo. oh wait… you already knew that. A-anyways! I’m sorry I couldn’t pick up your call nor replied your message right away. I was working earlier and couldn’t check my phone...”

“Oh, it’s okay Momo. I understand… No need to apologize.”

“Thank you… So uh… I read your message and you said you want to talk about the adoption?”

“Yes. About the puppy, does someone already adopt him?”

“Sadly, no. He still in the clinic now.”

“I see… well if that the case, may I adopt him?”

 

There was a few second of silence after Mina said that. Momo was stunned with the word and couldn’t utter any word.

 

“Mo—”

“FOR REAL???”

 

Momo’s sudden yell made Sana who just came out from the cubicle startled. And that, made Momo realized that she was yelling

 

“I-I’m sorry… was I too loud? I Didn’t mean to shout or surprised you..”

“It startled me a bit but it’s okay. I understand your excitement.” When Mina said that, her tone sounded happy. Like she was smiling as she said that.

“But.. Really? You’re going to adopt him??”

“Yes, I would love to take care of him.”

“Oh my god! Thank you, Thank you so much!! And oh! I’m currently about to visit the puppy. Maybe you want to see him too? I’ll also introduce you to the vet.. O-of course if you’re not busy.”

“I can meet him? Wasn’t he sick?”

“Yes he was. But his condition had got better and he started to become playful again!”

“Okay then. I’ll go. Could you please share the address of the clinic?”

“Sure! I’ll send it to you right away.”

“Thank you, Momo. See you later then.”

“See you!”

 

Soon after the line being cut, with smile from ear to ear, Momo collected her things rapidly and ready to storm out of the restaurant. But of course.. Sana managed to hold her.

 

“Whoa whoa. Wait for a second. I need some explanation with every single thing that happened earlier.”

“Mina is going to adopt the puppy!”

“Okay. I’m happy for you too. but who is Mina?”

“The elevator lady!”

“Oh….” and Sana let out a smirk while saying, “Interesting…”

“Save you tease or whatever you’re about to say for some other time. I need to go to the clinic now. See you!”

 

And right after that, Momo went out of the room and heading to the clinic with excitement filled her. Of course, she informed Tzuyu too about the news.


Meanwhile at the same time, different place

As soon as the call ended, Mina quickly gathered her things so she could go home. Unfortunately, someone suddenly knocked her door and came in. or two persons actually.

 

“Hey, Mina. We want to discuss about… Whoa… Done for today already?” asked Park Jihyo

“Well, that’s new.” Added Im Nayeon.

 

 

Mina who was still busy collecting her stuffs, took a quick glance in between and said, “It’s a new sight too seeing you still here at this hour, Nayeon eonni.”

That tease made Nayeon let out a grunt. “Ugh…. So much paperwork to do after those three days business trip.”

“The same paper I told you to do it little by little when we’re there?” asked Mina

“Yea yea you got me.” 

“This is why I told you not to go with her, Mina. this eonni is too easy to be distracted..”

“Oh come on…. I can’t help the temptation, okay?? Jeju is too pretty to be ignored. I’m not a workaholic like you two! Also, I’m not a homebody like Mina who can lock herself in the hotel room for HOURS.”

“Won’t accept that kind of excuse.”

“YAH!” that tiny banter between Jihyo and Nayeon made Mina laughed as she cleaning her desk.

 

Then, Mina already done packing her things and ready to go. But before that, she asked Jihyo and Nayeon about their sudden appearance.

 

“I assume both of you came for something. if it’s about work, I can’t discuss too long because I need to go somewhere now.”

“Actually, we—"

“Wait hold on. No, change of plan. Let’s talk about THAT.”

“Eonni come on... We need to—“

“Sshh, Jihyo! Don’t you find it weird that Mina already off-work at this hour? Let’s talk about that! work can be continued next Monday.”

 

Mina laughed after she saw the difference between Jihyo and Nayeon. One was frustrated yet defeated, the other was too excited.

 

“Fine…. Where are you going, Mina?” asked Jihyo.

“I want to go to a clinic at—”

“OH MY GOD!” Nayeon immediately barged herself inside and checking Mina’s temperature, “Did your excessive working plus 3 days business trip made you sick?? Are you okay?? what do you feel now? Do you need me to drive you home? Wait I can’t drive…Oh! But Jihyo can. Jihyo! Let’s g—”

 

“Eonni, Eonni!” Mina had to grab Nayeon’s shoulders to stop her sudden panic, “I’m fine. I’m not sick.”

“Really?” Mina gave Nayeon a nod.

“I can drive you there if you really don’t feel well.” Said Jihyo

Mina shook her head and said, “I meant clinic for animals. I’m going to meet a puppy”

“Puppy? What puppy? You don’t—”

 

Jihyo’s word got interrupted by Nayeon’s dramatical gasp. Finally realized what actually happened.

 

“You’re accepting your crush’s offer?!”

“Crush? Are you referring to her neighbor she usually met in elevator, eonni?”

“Of course, who else! The cute elevator lady who always brings her two chonky puppies that Mina never stop talking about.”

“Okay listen you two. It’s true, that I’m going to adopt the puppy offered by her. But no, she’s not my cru—”

“Oh honey… No one is gonna buy that. Right, Jihyo?” while leaning sideway on the door pane, Jihyo gave a firm nod.

 

Still with smile, Mina let out a sigh in defeats, “Okay sure. Eonni’s right. But for the record, I didn’t agree with it just because my crush asked me to. I’ve always wanted to adopt a puppy before but never got the timing to do it… Plus, the puppy was sick and abandoned. Of course I’d be happy to help.”

 

Both Jihyo and Nayeon didn’t immediately respond to that. They just stared at Mina then gradually pulled out a teasing smirk on their face and said, “whipped.” In unison.

 

“Alright. I assume both of you got nothing more to say except teasing me so, I’m leaving now.”

 

Then, the three of them walked out of the room and ready to continue their own activity.

 

“Okay, see you on Monday guys.” Said Mina

“Drive save, okay?” and Mina gave a nod to Jihyo’s words as assurance.

“Have fun with the elevator lady, Mina~” Mina playfully rolled her eyes at Nayeon’s words, then bid goodbye and started walking away.

 

But Mina halted for a second as she turned around and said “By the way. The cute elevator lady has a name and it’s Momo.” and then she left.

 

Jihyo was about to go back to Nayeon’s room so they could continue their work. But, Nayeon still stood on the same spot while looking a bit confused.

 

“Wait… Momo? why that name sounds familiar?” mumbled Nayeon secretly


The clinic

Momo was the first one who arrived at the clinic since its near her workplace. So, right now she’s waiting for Mina, together with Tzuyu.

Momo waited in excitement. She is sooo happy that the puppy she rescued finally got new home and the coolest thing is, it’ll be with someone close to her place. Maybe sometimes she could come across them when they’re having a walk or something like that.

Indeed, Momo is emotionally attached to that puppy. She saved him and since days ago, she kept coming to the clinic just to see his progress. So, yeah. Her happiness not just came from her love towards animal, but also attached to him.

While waiting, Momo couldn’t stay still. She kept fidgeting on her chair while humming melodies. Yes… she is THAT happy. Meanwhile, Tzuyu who was currently on her break, sat silently while texting her girlfriend.

 

“Eonni. Dahyun eonni wants to know who this Myoui Mina is. Look,” Tzuyu showed Momo her phone screen, “She keep spamming me with it.”

“Gosh… Dahyun is indeed Jeongyeon’s cousin. So nosy…” said Momo after she looked at the train of message bubbles Dahyun sent to Tzuyu.

“Tell her she is just a neighbor from my apartment. I don’t know her that much but she seems kind and also love puppies.”

“Neighbor, good person, loves puppies. Got it.”

 

Tzuyu then typed it to Dahyun. not long after that, she got the replied.

 

“Is she pretty?”

“What??” Asked Momo, disbelief with the question.

“Dahyun eonni asked about it.”

“How her looks are relevant with this matter?” Tzuyu just shrugged her shoulders, clueless too.

“Well… She—oh! Mina!”

 

Their conversation got interrupted after Momo saw Mina came. And as soon as she caught Momo, Mina walked towards them. Momo, who was still in her highly excited tension, decided to go to her and met her in the middle. Meanwhile, Tzuyu just stayed on the bench, observing the situation from a far.

Seeing the way Mina look in her simple office attire—a navy button up blouse that being tucked into her long regular-fit black pants, and her hair being tied into a pony tail that showcased her bold collarbone— made Tzuyu immediately type her answer to Dahyun, “Very pretty office lady.”

Of course, that report made Tzuyu’s phone blew up from notification bomb flooded by Dahyun who thought Momo might have a crush on Mina. That made Tzuyu once again observed the two in silence.

But Tzuyu sensed nothing. There’s a distance between them and a bit of awkwardness surrounded them. At least that was what Tzuyu could see by seeing Mina. She couldn’t see Momo’s face so for now, the only info she could send to Dahyun was “They don’t seem close to me. Just usual neighbor, nothing more.”

 

Right after Tzuyu sent that, Momo and Mina came.

 

“So, Mina. This is my friend plus Boo Dobby’s vet, Chou Tzuyu. She is the one who’s been tending the puppy.”

 

Tzuyu and Mina exchanged a bow,

 

“I’m Myoui Mina. Pleasure to meet you, Dr. Chou.” Said Mina as she also lent her hand for a handshake.

“Nice to meet you, Miss Myoui.. and I personally want to thank you for adopting the puppy.”

“Oh, don’t mention it, Dr. Chou. You and Miss Momo are the real hero here... I’m just continuing the deeds.”

“No. Please accept our gratitude, Mina. We really are thankful for this. If you didn’t adopt him, the clinic would send him to a shelter. So… it means a lot.” Said Momo

“Actually, the shelter wasn’t bad. It’s affiliated with our clinic so all the animals there are fully supervised. But this eonni right here didn’t want him to go there.”

“Oh come on! He was abandoned before. He needs more love! Besides, he probably would end up being in cage, right??”

“A cage big enough for him to roam around. Besides, the staff there could give him love. It’s not a shabby and abandoned shelter.”

 

Hearing what Tzuyu said made Momo glare at her while pouting. Not amused with her opinion. Seeing the different side of Momo, Mina couldn’t help but giggle.

 

“But on the bright side, now I have new company in my lonely house. So, thank you very much, Momo.” Mina ended her word by giving Momo her warm smile. Which immediately broke down Momo’s cool façade.

“Well… I-it’s nothing.. No need to thank me..”

“Now you’re the one who didn’t accept my gratitude.” Teased Mina. and the only thing Momo could do, was laughing awkwardly as she lowered her head and scratched her own nape.

 

Then like usual, Momo chose to run from the situation as she said, “a-anyways! speaking about the puppy. Could we see him now, Tzu? I bet Mina really excited to see him, right?” Mina just nod at it.

“Yes, sure. This way please..”

 

With that, the three walked away from the waiting room to see the puppy.

 

As they walked, somehow, Tzuyu managed to send a quick message to Dahyun. Saying, “I take back what I said earlier. Momo eonni seems having a crush on her neighbor.”

 

Of course, just a second after that, Tzuyu’s phone buzzing crazily again.

>< 

After Mina and Momo finished seeing the puppy, they decided to go home. Mina offered Momo a ride, which the latter firstly refused just because she was afraid to be a bother. But she eventually complied. so yeah.. They went home together.

They didn’t immediately go back home though. Mina wanted to have a dinner first since she hadn’t properly eaten for the whole day. Momo didn’t mind of course and she herself also hadn’t eaten dinner. So, she just followed whichever restaurant Mina wanted to go.

Mina didn’t specifically say where they were heading. She only stated that they’re heading to nearby Authentic Korean cuisine restaurant that she frequently goes to.

 

At first, Momo didn’t have any suspicion. Yes, her workplace is nearby and it’s a Korean cuisine restaurant. But there are lots of Korean cuisine restaurant here…

Yet here they are… standing right in front of a building with Yoo’s Kitchen sign hung on its wall.

Momo was sure… This wouldn’t end well for her, and would be a huge torture.

 

“Momo?”

“Y-yes?!”

“You’re not coming in? or maybe you don’t like this place?”

“Oh, no no! it’s fine. Let’s eat here.”

“But you seem… hesitance. We can change to another place if you want.”

“No! Really, I’m fine.. I was just um… admiring the sign. Yes.”

 

Mina took a glance on a rather simple looking wooden board with the restaurant name on it.

“The… sign?”

“Mhm. A-anyways! I’m totally cool with wherever you want to eat… Really.”

 

Though Mina still not so sure with everything, she chose to let it slide.

 

“Well, shall we go then?” and Momo gave the gesture to let Mina go in first as an affirmation to that question.

 

There is no intention or whatsoever for Momo to hide the fact that she works here. It wasn’t on her thought that time.. Her mind was too preoccupied by her fear of seeing Jeongyeon.

Who knows what Jeongyeon would do if she saw Momo came in with a girl that the former never seen before. Moreover, if she knew that Mina is The Elevator Lady… Big chance that Jeongyeon wouldn’t stop teasing her for the whole week.

 Hence why Momo didn’t give Mina any information about her employment here.

 

With tiny bit of fear and wary, Momo walked in right after Mina.

And lucky for her, Jeongyeon was nowhere to be seen. It just Momo’s other co-workers who gave her a tiny smile as they saw her walking with a woman.

Momo managed to secretly whispered “Please don’t tell Jeongyeon” to that co-worker once Mina walked upfront.

>< 

Everything went smooth and fine. They managed to order the food and Jeongyeon was nowhere in sight. But still, Momo couldn’t help to feel wary. Which, it easily noticed by the observant Mina.

 

“Is everything okay, Momo?”

“Hm? Yea of course.”

“You seems… restless. Are you perhaps uncomfortable? You’ve been eyeing the entire place.”

“Not at all.. I was uh… admiring the interior.. The restaurant is perfectly fine and comfy.”

“Then perhaps… I make you uncomfortable?”

 

When Mina asked that, her voice sounded sad and filled with worries. And the way she slightly pouted, made Momo panic.

 

“Oh! No! No! Of course not! I’m sorry for making you think that way. it just I—”

 

“Good evening, ladies. Here’s your drinks.” And that, Momo’s nightmare came true. Knowing so well who’s the owner of that voice, Momo immediately looked down and away from the waiter.

 

“Oh? Mina! Hi!”

“Hi there Jeongyeon eonni. Long time no see.”

 

That, made Momo froze on her spot. She wasn’t just shocked with Jeongyeon sudden appearance. But also because Mina and Jeongyeon were actually knew each other.

 

“Oh my god. they knew each other?? What’s should I do then? should I just act normaly? Or should I pretend not to know Jeongyeon? God… please don’t let Jeongyeon tease me,” ranted Momo internally

 

Momo was too busy with her own thought that she didn’t even listen to what Mina and Jeongyeon currently talking about. She even locked her sight onto the table, avoiding Jeongyeon’s.

 

With how Momo avoided her, it made Jeongyeon thought that Momo was trying to hide her identity and pretended that they didn’t know each other. And Jeongyeon see that as her opportunity to .

 

“Oh my. I was too busy talking to you that I didn’t notice this pretty lady. So, who is she, Mina?”

“I’m sorry… Jeongyeon eonni, this is Momo,” the sudden mentioned of her name made Momo snapped her head up,

“Momo, this is Yoo Jeongyeon the owner of this restaurant.” Mina’s introduction forced Momo to shift her sight onto Jeongyeon and gave a short bow.

 

During that short greeting, Momo could see the big teasing smirk on Jeongyeon’s face and she knew right away. Jeongyeon would begin her mischievous antics

 

“Momo?? Oh wow! Your name is EXACTLY like one of the chefs here!”

“Wow… Really? What a coincidence.” Asked Mina

“I know right?? Oh oh! It’ll be soooo interesting if they meet now. Shall I call her? Hey, Lee” Jeongyeon suddenly called a waiter that just passing by, “Could you call Momo here for a minute, I want to introduce her to someone who actually has the same name like her!”

 

That waiter looked at Jeongyeon, then Momo in confused way. But thankfully, they were on Momo’s side.

 

“I think she clocked out already.”

“Ah! That’s ashamed….” Jeongyeon then ushered that waiter away and then said, “Well, unlucky. Maybe next time I’ll introduce you to her.”

“Y-yeah sure..” Momo gave a meek nervous smile while saying it.

“And oh! come to think of it. You also look like my friend from my university! EXACTLY similar… Wow…” Momo’s face turned tense when Jeongyeon said that. Which then Jeongyeon quickly said,

“But. This is the first time we met so that’s probably just a pure coincidence. ANOTHER coincidence.”

“Hahahaha yeah… What an amazing coincidence. Hahaha…” Nervousness was so obvious in both Momo’s pretentious laugh, and also her face.

 

Throughout that whole commotion, Mina was silently observing the whole situation. She could sense that something was off. But it’s still too vague and she couldn’t figure it out what actually happened.

 

“Welp! Happy to see you, Miss Momo who’s not my chef nor even my university buddy!”

With a forced full smile, Momo said, “L-likewise, Miss Yoo.”

 

Momo thought Jeongyeon would go after she delivered her drink and . But no. She decided to stay back for a little bit and asked another question.

 

“By the way. how do you guys know each other?” asked Jeongyeon

“We’re neighbor actually.” Said Mina.

“Neighbor, huh?” Momo could only lower her head.. knowing damn well where this is heading.

“Yes. Although… we mostly only crossed each other path every morning in elevator. Today is the first time we ever meet up outside.”

“Oh reaaaally??”

 

Just by listening to her tone, Momo knew that Jeongyeon had connected the dots and figured it out that Mina, is THE Pretty Elevator Lady.

 

“Well! As much as I want to talk with you guys and maybe get to know more about Miss Momo, I need to get back to work. I’ll be back with your foods soon~” Jeongyeon then went away.

 

Soon after that, Momo slightly felt relieved. She silently exhaled her breath, blew out her nervousness and then she decided to take a sip of her drink, as an attempt to ease her nerves.

 

“Momo?” Mina suddenly called Momo while the latter still drinking, “Mind to finish what you were going to say earlier?”

 

Mina could see Momo drifted her sight to random place while frowning a bit. No, it’s not unpleasant expression… But more like Momo was trying to figure out what Mina was referring. Which, the latter also kinda get the idea that Momo was confused.

 

“About why you seem restless and uncomfortable?”

“Ah! Yes of course. sorry…” Momo paused a bit just to take another sip of her drink before continue, “well uh.. as I was saying… the restaurant is fine, YOU are fine.”

“But?”

 

Since Jeongyeon already caught her, now Momo didn’t have any more reason to keep it all to herself and finally spilled everything.

 

“I actually work here…”

“So… You are really the chef and university buddy that Jeongyeon eonni talked about?” Momo answered it with a meek nod.

 

Things that happened few seconds ago was still fresh on Mina’s mind and after knowing the truth, Mina couldn’t help but laugh. Which that made Momo took another sip of her drink, feeling embarrassed.

 

“Whoa! Jeongyeon eonni is such a teaser. Hahaha!” Said Mina in between her laugh.

Momo let out a sigh, “That’s why I was so wary… Me, having a dinner with a woman, was rare and I know that mischievous girl named Yoo Jeongyeon won’t let this moment roll without her teasing me. She got no mercy when it comes to teasing people… especially me.”

 

Mina then eased down her laugh, and started to get a bit serious.

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to laugh at your misery like that.”

“It’s fine… I should’ve been honest since the beginning anyway…”

“I know that you were being wary because you don’t want Jeongyeon eonni to see you. But why acted like you don’t know her?”

“To be honest… I kinda did it in a whim? My mind went blank when I heard you and Jeongyeon shared greetings… Never thought you two knew each other so my mind went blank for a moment. And yeah… I ended up playing along with Jeongyeon’s tease.” And once again, Mina

 

Mina suddenly intrigued by Momo’s explanation. Not about the teasing part. But with how she addressed Jeongyeon.

 

“I’m sorry but… Jeongyeon? Are you perhaps same age as her, or older?”

“We are sam—Wait...”

 

There was a short pause before Momo said,

“YOU ARE YOUNGER THAN ME?” Or more like yelled.

 Due to that, Momo got a sharp glare from their surrounding which she then quickly gave them a train of bows. Meanwhile, Mina… she secretly giggled under Momo’s embarrassment.

 

“S-sorry for that.. but um. You’re younger than me and Jeongyeon??” Yes, it took Momo that to finally realized that Mina is actually younger than her.

“I’m a year younger than Jeongyeon eonni. So, you are older than me?”

“Yes… Jeongyeon and I were in the same faculty during university.. She chose culinary management and I chose culinary art… and we’ve been friends since then.”

“I see… I always thought we were same age. But as expected… I look older, don’t i?” asked Mina, while let out a bashful smile

“W-well… yes. B-but! Mainly because of how you dress… I mean you always dress like you own company or something… That’s make you seems mature. Yet once you talk, like right now, I kinda can sense that you’re actually younger than me.”

“thank you for that. And you’re right though.”

“about… what?”

“Me owning a company. I do own a company or more like a consultant agency? I built it together with Jeongyeon eonni’s girlfriend and my other friend.”

Again, Momo got surprised by facts that Mina just told her.

 

“Oh so you’re Nayeon eonni’s business partner??” Momo got a nod from Mina

“WHOA For real?? You’re not even 30!” even though Momo was shocked and amazed, she managed to control her volume this time.

And that reaction made Mina shyly giggle, “well, let just say I came from a rather privileged background. I’m not entirely started everything from 0.”

“Ei… There are tons of privileged people out there who is useless and could only waste their richness. You are great, Mina!”

That sincere compliment made Mina slightly blush and felt shy. “T-thank you, eonni.”

 

Momo didn’t know why but when Mina addressed her like that, it made her blushed. “I-is it okay for me to address you like that?”

“Oh yea sure! Sure!”

 

Then their dinner went perfectly fine after that, eventhough Jeongyeon teased Momo again after the latter spilled the truth.

>< 

Now both Momo and Mina already inside the elevator of their apartment. If you thought they weren’t talking with each other, you are wrong.

Both of them been trying to engage conversation with one another from their dinner until now. Even on their way here, they were having a conversation while Mina was driving.

Mostly their conversation involved dog in it. In fact, they finally found the perfect name for the puppy. Mina named him Ray, like a ray of sunshine due to his bright personality and his shining golden-brown fur.

Well, the conversation about Ray was ended right there. Their talk continued with Momo kept talking and sharing about tons of Boo and Dobby’s chaotic yet hilarious moment non-stop. She even told her about Jeongyeon’s girlfriend—Nayeon who also Mina’s business partner, who once stepped onto either Boo or Dobby’s poo with her bare feet. Mina was laughing hard when she heard that story.

Even now, they still having conversation related to pets. Momo excitedly told Mina her experience when she adopted her first puppy. It’s obvious how big Momo’s loves towards puppy, which made Mina couldn’t help but stare her with such endearing stare. Like Momo is the most precious person alive.

Of course, Momo didn’t notice. She was too excited to talk about her puppy.

But as time goes by, somehow Momo became more and more enthusiastic and Mina couldn’t help but let out a chuckled.

 

“W-what’s wrong?”

Mina paused her laugh a bit and said, “This is the first time I saw you talk in such energy and excitement. Eonni really loves dogs, huh?”

 

Blush formed on Momo’s face and it brought back Momo’s old self. Timid and awkward. Seeing the change of expression, Mina immediately clarified her meaning

 

“Oh, I didn’t mean to make fun of you or anything… I just find it cute.” and well… that clarification didn’t fix a thing yet worse, Momo’s face became way redder.

“W-well… I uh… t-thank you?”

 

Then as an attempted to run away from the nervousness of being complimented, Momo immediately started new conversation,

 

“B-by the way… You said this is your first time having a pet, right?” Mina gave a nod.

“Then, no worries! I’ll take the responsibility to help you whenever you need.”

“Are you sure? I don’t want to burden you, eonni.”

“Oh no no! I’m more than happy to help! If you want to ask about foods, toys, vaccination, or even dog café and park recommendation, I’ll give you the list. Or maybe if one day you’re busy with your work and need someone to look up for little Ray, I could help you with that or if you don’t want to… I’ll give you a daycare recommendation. Whatever you need, I’ll always glad to help.”

“How about a date?”

 

And that question, brought Momo back to her nervousness. “A… date?”

Mina gave a nod. But different with Momo, she still as calm as usual while staring at Momo with her usual soft smile. “Yes, like hanging out in park or went to café together, maybe?”

Momo instantly scratched her nape due to shyness, “well um…”

 

Mina knew that gesture so well and after that she said, “Little Ray will be so happy to be able to hang out with Boo and Dobby.”

Momo took few seconds to process that before she finally said, “Oh…... OH! Yeah! Sure.. sure! Of course! I’m hundred percent down for that idea. Yes.”

 

It’s so obvious that Momo didn’t think about that at the beginning and just realized what Mina actually meant. And Mina found Momo’s slow reaction a bit funny and entertaining so she couldn’t help but giggle.

But Momo was saved by the chimed of the elevator, signaling that it’s her stop.

 

“W-well.. Nice talking to you and once again thank you for adopting Ray, paying for my dinner and drive me back home. I’ll surely paid you back sometimes…”

“No you don’t have to, eonni.  It’s actually my pleasure.”

“O-okay then.. um… Good night and rest well, Mina.”

“You too, eonni.”

 

Momo then walked out from the elevator and went towards her apartment. Just when Momo was taking tiny step away from the elevator, Mina held the opened button and said…

 

“Actually, eonni. I don’t mind though.”

“Hm? About… what?”

“Date. Only you and me. without the pupps. I’m looking forward to that.”

 

Mina didn’t give Momo time to reply, she immediately let go the button and let the elevator took her straight up to her floor. Meanwhile, Momo was still frozen on the same spot. Eyes still locked on to the now closed elevator as she trying to process those things.

Until…

 

“OH MY GOD?! Did she just ask me on a date???” And Momo was panicking on the hallway, but in the good way.

 

For Mina? she was panicking. But not in a good way. she was nervous and also worried. Worried that she might have misinterpreted Momo’s reaction earlier, who didn’t actually want to have a date with her.

Oh well, her worries soon being swept away after her phone let out a short ding.

 

“How about this weekend?”

With smile rising from ear to ear, Mina replied “That would be lovely.”