FIN

Know Me Too Well
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The room was bathed in a soft, amber glow as Son Chaeyoung sat on her worn-out couch, clutching her phone like it was a lifeline. The haunting lyrics of "Know Me Too Well" played in the background, the melancholic melody matching her somber mood. She'd been spending her weekends trying to get Myoi Mina off her mind, but it seemed impossible. The weight of their last encounter hung heavily in the air, a bittersweet memory that refused to fade.

 

Outside, the city buzzed with life, oblivious to the turmoil within her heart. The voices of her friends echoed in her mind, encouraging her to call Mina, to make amends, but every time she thought about dialing that number, fear paralyzed her.

 

Chaeyoung knew she should have texted Mina goodnight that night. She should have given her more time, more assurance. Regret gnawed at her, the "what-ifs" and "should-haves" tormenting her restless soul.

 

In the dimly lit room, Chaeyoung finally mustered the courage to reach out. Her fingers trembling, she dialed Mina's number, her heart racing. It rang once, twice, and then a click followed by Mina's voice, cold and distant, "Chaeyoung, what do you want?"

 

Chaeyoung tried to keep her voice steady, "Mina, I... I just wanted to talk. I've been thinking about us, about what happened."

 

Mina's response was icy, "Thinking won't change anything, Chaeyoung. You had your chance."

 

Desperation welled up inside her, and Chaeyoung stammered, "I know I messed up, but I'm not fine without you. I need you to know that."

 

Mina's voice softened just a fraction, "You didn't seem to care that much when it counted."

 

Chaeyoung bit her lip, tears welling in her eyes. She had messed up, and now, the consequences of her actions were unraveling before her. She whispered, "Mina, I miss you so much it hurts."

 

Mina hesitated, the silence stretching between them like a fragile thread. Chaeyoung could almost hear the gears turning in Mina's mind. But then, a sigh on the other end of the line signaled the end of the conversation. "Chaeyoung, you should have thought about that before. I can't do this anymore."

 

With a click, Mina hung up, leaving Chaeyoung clutching her phone, tears streaming down her face. The room felt emptier than ever, and the haunting words of the song became her only company, echoing the regret that consumed her soul. She had just tried to mend the broken threads of their connection, but she had a long way to go before she could earn Mina's forgiveness.

 

.

 

.

 

Days turned into weeks, and Chaeyoung found herself in a relentless cycle. Every morning, she awoke with the hope that she might receive a message from Mina, a lifeline that would pull her from the depths of her despair. But the messages never came.

 

She spent her weekends trying to get Mina off her mind, but it was a futile effort. Chaeyoung couldn't escape the overwhelming guilt that loomed over her, knowing that she should have texted Mina goodnight that fateful night.

 

One quiet evening, as the fading sun cast warm hues across her apartment, Chaeyoung finally mustered the courage to reach out to Mina once again. She couldn't bear the silence any longer. She missed Mina's laughter, the way her eyes sparkled when she smiled, and the warmth of her presence. She needed to make things right, or at least try.

 

With trembling fingers, Chaeyoung dialed Mina's number, each ring feeling like an eternity. Her heart raced, her thoughts scattered like autumn leaves caught in a gust of wind. She rehearsed her words in her mind, desperate to convey the depth of her regret.

 

Finally, Mina picked up, her voice laced with uncertainty, "Chaeyoung, is that you?"

 

Chaeyoung hesitated for a moment before replying, "Yeah, it's me. I know I should've called earlier, but I... I didn't know what to say."

 

Mina's voice was a mixture of relief and frustration, "Chaeyoung, you disappeared. You left me wondering if you ever cared. It's been so hard."

 

Chaeyoung's voice quivered as she admitted, "I've been going out of my mind too. I couldn't stop thinking about you, about us."

 

Mina sighed, her tone softening, "Chaeyoung, it's not just about thinking. It's about showing you care when it matters. Words are empty without actions."

 

Chaeyoung swallowed hard, tears welling up in her eyes, "I know, Mina. I've been a fool. I should've texted you goodnight, I should've given you the time you deserved. I should've done better."

 

Mina's silence was a heavy weight on Chaeyoung's chest. She feared the conversation was coming to an end, and she couldn't bear the thought of Mina cutting ties with her completely.

 

Finally, Mina spoke, her voice still tinged with uncertainty, "Chaeyoung, I need time to think. I can't promise anything right now, but I appreciate that you called."

 

The room fell silent once more, and Chaeyoung clutched her phone, tears streaming down her face. There was a glimmer of hope in Mina's response, a tiny crack in the walls that had been built between them. She knew she had a long way to go to rebuild what they once had, but for now, it was a start.

 

.

 

.

 

The days blurred together for Chaeyoung as she continued to grapple with her unending thoughts of Mina. She spent her weekends wandering the city streets, trying to drown out her longing with the bustling noise of the world. But no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't get Mina off her mind.

 

One evening, as the city lights flickered to life and the cool breeze ruffled her hair, Chaeyoung found herself standing outside Mina's favorite coffee shop. The place held countless memories of their laughter and quiet conversations, and it was a stark reminder of what she had lost.

 

With a heavy heart, she entered the café, the soft hum of conversation and the aroma of freshly brewed coffee enveloping her. She ordered a latte and found a quiet corner to sit, gazing out the window at the passing pedestrians. The memories of their last coffee date played in her mind like a bittersweet movie reel, and she wished she could turn back time.

 

As she stirred her coffee absentmindedly, her phone buzzed with a message. It was a text from an old friend, Jisoo. The message read, "Chaeyoung, it's been a while. How are you holding up?"

 

Chaeyoung took a deep breath and replied, "Hey, Jisoo. I'm not doing great. I messed up something really important, and I can't stop thinking about it."

 

Jisoo's reply was swift, filled with empathy, "I'm here for you, Chaeyoung. You can talk to me. What happened?"

 

Chaeyoung hesitated, her fingers hovering over the phone screen. Should she confide in Jisoo? Could she really explain the depth of her regret and longing? After a moment, she began to type, her words pouring out like a dam breaking, "I let someone special slip away, Jisoo. I should've shown them how much I cared, but I was too scared, too selfish. Now, I don't know how to fix it."

 

Jisoo's response was a comforting presence in the virtual world, "I'm so sorry to hear that, Chaeyoung. It's never too late to try and make amends. If this person meant a lot to yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter