Prayers of a Non-believer

dear diary

"If you ever have thoughts in mind you can't seem to tell anybody, not even to me, you can always just write a diary. It'll help you."

Those are the words Hanni would always tell Minji everytime she'd see her frustrated or down. Minji was never good saying what she really thinks or feels. She'd rather be eaten alive by a beast than ever try to articulate her thoughts. Hanni knew it so she would always bug Minji with that phrase.

Did Minji ever do what Hanni always tells her? No. She's hard-headed and isn't easy to be tamed.

Records from January 2, 2020 | 10:21 AM

Hanni was admitted to the hospital, she tested positive for COVID-19.

Minji heard about it. She was furious. She ravaged her room so hard her parents heard it from downstairs.

She ran downstairs without a single doubt in mind. She rushed to the door and almost went outside without any protection just to get to wherever Hanni was admitted. Luckily, Minji's parents immediately stopped her from doing so.

 "Let go of me!" Minji shouted.

"You know you can't go outside! Stop this craziness, Minji! For God's sake!" says her mom who was holding her arms they could've been ripped apart.

"Craziness? You say this is craziness?! I was locked the hell out of this damned house. I almost lost myself trying to find the old me. Now that I found someone who found me, you won't even let me keep them?!" Minji shouted with a blazing gaze against her mom's eyes.

"Sweetheart. Sweetheart! Get yourself right! You're smart enough to realize that you being there won't do anything to help her! You'll just get yourself infected and you'll just be adding up to her burden. You don't want that to happen, I know you know that." says her dad grabbing her face all red up, cheeks covered by her tears.

Minji who was devastated fell down to her knees, giving up and breaking down.

"If I lose her, I'm gonna lose myself. Please God, please stop her pain, just take me instead."

Her parents couldn't do anything. They just watched their daughter cry until she passed out.

Records from January 2, 2020 | 11:01 PM

Fast forward, Minji woke up.

"You finally woke up." It was her dad.

"Dad. Hanni?" Minji asked the moment she woke up.

"Really, Minji? You were unconscious for how many hours and the first thing yo-"

"Hon." Minji's mom was interrupted by her husband before she could even finish her sentence.

"How many hours? I was unconscious for how many hours, dad?" Minji asked.

"12 hours sweetheart." says her dad.

"12 hours? So you're telling me Hanni's been alone in the cold for 12 hours?" a follow up by Minji.

"No, I believe there are doctors and nurses to accompany her." her dad answered, trying to console her daughter.

Minji's mom who was frustrated walked out Minji's room.

"I'm sorry for your mother's behavior, you know, she's your mom and-"

"No dad. I understand. I don't mind. Hanni is all I can think about at this moment." Minji got up her bed.

"Are you feeling well already? Don't you think you have to rest much longer?" her dad asked.

"Don't worry about me, dad. Lying down here won't help me. I'll keep myself busy for the meantime. Do you still need your motorcycle to be fixed?" Minji asked as she grabbed her phone and headphone.

"Uh. Well, if you that helps you then go ahead. You know where the tools are, don't you?" says her dad who was confused and worried at the same time.

"Yeah. If you need something from me, just call me on the phone. You know?" says Minji as she raised her headphones giving signal to her dad.

Minji then went downstairs, went to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water, proceed to their garage and started to work on the motorcycle.

Records from January 3, 2020 | 1:27 AM

Minji was busy fixing the motorcycle when her dad knocks in. "You need some hands sweetheart? You've been there for quite some time"

Minji put down her headphones. "No, but thanks. I got this. You know how much time and work it takes to fix a motorcycle, dad."

"Alright then I'll go upstairs now and sleep. Your mother's been sleeping already." says her dad, knocking on the door once again telling Minji he will now go upstairs.

"Goodnight, dad." Minji whispers as she drink some water.

Records from January 3, 2020 | 3:00 AM

Minji's mom was awaken by a sound of an engine starting. When she got up and went to the window to see who was making the sound at such time, the person that made her eyes wide even though she just woke up was actually her daughter, Minji, who was on her way somewhere with the motorcycle she just fixed.

Seeing this, Minji's mom immediately and aggresively woke up her husband.

"Minji! Minji's going somewhere riding the motorcycle!"

"WHAT?!" Mr. Kim was obviously shocked.

The couple rushed towards the garage in hoping to catch up with their daughter by riding their car. However, when they opened the garage, they were greeted by car's tires all over the place.

"How did she even-"

Minji's dad and mom were shocked. In fact, they were flabbergasted.

Meanwhile Minji.

"Did they actually expect me to just wait in the house? How funny." Minji smirked and vroomed the hell her way to Hanni.

 

to be continued...