it’s lovely (he thinks) to love you

it’s lovely (he thinks) to love you

Red silk, soft, under his fingertips. That’s the first thought to cross Kyuhyun’s mind. The next is the smell of breakfast – bacon, eggs, toast. The third is the oozing warmth down his back, the golden hand of the sun brushing across his bare skin.

The bed covers have slipped down to pool around his waist, leaving him under the kisses of the sun. Kyuhyun shuffles, his mind hazy as he burrows into the junction of the two sets of pillows, sighing into the coldness of the untouched fabric.

He can hear the sound of pans and plates and pearly white surfaces clashing, and lazily notes that Donghae must be planning to surprise him.

His eyes sleepily blink open after a few attempts, and his lips curve at seeing Donghae’s half of the bed so untidily kept. Donghae could be so organised - from the tips of his combed hair to the extents of his gym routine - but also so rushed. It felt like just a peek into his even warmer, homely side.

The sun smiles brighter down at him, its gaze fluttering through his chocolate hair, and making his almond eyes liven.

He contemplates just staying in bed, lounging in the sense of warm, oozing comfort he’s created, but then he remembers that Donghae’s never been the best at cooking and sits up slowly, stretching his arms out as he rubs his tired eyes.

He’s in no haste, Donghae isn’t so bad at cooking that he’s that worried.

And so he takes the moment to admire the view of an awakening city. Up so high in this apartment, he can only view the hustle of movement below, but he can imagine the sounds well enough: the wailing sirens, the honk of horns; the whistle of a gentle breeze, the crunch of autumn leaves below his feet.

It has been incredible to him the first time he’d visited the city – the way the buildings were just as alive as the people; the way you could feel the beating heart of the city like the one in his own chest.

He can remember it so clearly. Ahra’s tight hold on his hand so he wouldn’t get lost, the smell of petrol, the hot burn of a crowd’s watching gaze. He smiles at the memories; shivers as his bare feet hit the icy floor of the bedroom.

He knows this room so well, almost better than his own bedroom. He knows that Donghae always has blankets spare, and that after a tiring day, he’ll simply throw his jacket across the floor, his shirt laid out across the end of the bed.

He knows it better than his own room in the way that he’s spent endless nights here.

Donghae’s a cuddler, always has been, and he suspects, always will be – and one of his favourite places to cuddle is here in this room, with blankets and pillows, and fingertips running across sensitive skin.

Kyuhyun can imagine the dance Donghae trails across his skin so easily, and he remembers it as he walks out of the room.

It’s always the same: it starts with quick fleeting touches – across the back of his thigh, up the inside of his arm, kisses along his collarbone – and then it develops into slow brushes, caresses, like a paintbrush across its canvas. Donghae loves to tease. Loves to tease Kyuhyun.

He’s only wearing a pair of Donghae’s jogging bottoms, and so the cold air latches onto his bare shoulders, sending a tremble down his spine as it winds across his skin.

He’s almost about to turn around, when he sees Donghae.

The smell of delicious food is thick in the air, but Kyuhyun doesn’t smile at that.

He smiles at the gentle humming which has filled the room, he smiles at the loose strands of hair which have escaped the hands Donghae has run through it – his bed hair has always been atrocious, Kyuhyun notes with a warmness that is only reserved for Donghae.

He stands for a moment in the archway, admiring. Donghae truly is a visual of the group – with his tanned skin, and muscles which all the ladies die for. It had made him jealous once, seeing everyone shower him in attention. Protective, even.

But now, he realises it’s simply part of dating an idol. They had both had to realise that.

Kyuhyun tiptoes forward until he’s mere centimetres away from Donghae’s back. And then, just as Donghae begins to turn, he wraps his arms around his neck, meets him by nuzzling into warm skin with a soft kiss.

“You could’ve woken me.” He whispers, a croakiness to his voice from the early morning.

Donghae’s rough hands trail up his arms, and Kyuhyun feels like he’s melting into the much broader male.

“I wanted you to rest,” Donghae mumbles, laying a kiss against the inside of his wrist. “You work too much. It’s not healthy.”

Kyuhyun grins at Donghae’s never ending concern, and whispers reassurances of his wellbeing back. Donghae nods, like he always does, but the tense grip he keeps on Kyuhyun’s wrists reminds Kyuhyun of how much his boyfriend worries.

“I’ll be fine, Donghae. I am fine.”

Donghae lets out a small gust of air, possibly a sigh, though Kyuhyun can’t tell the emotion behind it.

Donghae’s always been so content in concealing feelings, even the ones that Kyuhyun would love to hear about. He’s content in simply showing his feelings through his actions, and Kyuhyun’s learnt to realise that, despite it’s frustrating consequences, it’s simply another part of Donghae.

Kyuhyun stretches onto his tiptoes, looking over Donghae’s right shoulder.

“It was meant to be a surprise.” Donghae says, a sense of defeat to his words. “I wanted to treat you to breakfast in bed…I guess I can’t even do that for you anymore.”

“What- Donghae, don’t be silly.” Kyuhyun turns Donghae’s head with the end of his fingertip, pressing kiss after kiss against his slightly dry lips. “I would love to have breakfast in bed with you.”

“Are you sure?” Donghae gently moves Kyuhyun’s arms from around his neck, turning himself so that he can face Kyuhyun. “I can just set the table up quickly-“

“No, Donghae – I’m one-hundred percent sure that I’d rather eat breakfast with you in our warm bed, than out here in the cold living room.”

Donghae smiles at that, a faint blush to his cheeks. “Ok, fine.” He mumbles, a grin teasing his lips. “Go back to bed and warm up. I’ll be there in a sec.”

“M’kay.” Kyuhyun yawns, and rubs his eyes, Donghae’s warmth making him slightly sleepy again. “Hurry…”

“I will.”

Kyuhyun grins to himself, happy in persuading Donghae to go back to bed. The chill of the floor makes him rush back to the bedroom, and he happily tumbles back into the bed, wrapping himself snuggly in the bed cover.

He only has to wait a few minutes before Donghae’s entering after him.

The clink of cutlery against plates and a tray announces Donghae’s arrival before he can actually see the male, and then the delicious smell of their breakfast wafts in along with him.

Kyuhyun grins up at him as Donghae focuses on balancing the tray, concentration on his face.

“You made bacon!” Kyuhyun laughs at how he can see each of his favourite things on the plates, and feels a familiar warmth swirling in his stomach. “You really did put a lot of effort into this, Donghae.”

Donghae blushes, looking over the tray he’s handed Kyuhyun before settling down under the covers beside him. Donghae sends him a proud smile. “I did say I was trying to treat you…”

Kyuhyun links his fingers with Donghae’s gently, leaning against his shoulder with a content sigh. “I love it, Donghae.”

They eat breakfast slowly after that, and the room is filled with warm chatter. It’s comfortable like this - always is when he’s with Donghae.

He feels like a puzzle piece that connects perfectly with Donghae. No sharp edges or confrontation; simply smooth connections that work together, necessary to make a whole.

He feels silly thinking such things, feels silly because Donghae’s made him like this: lovesick, protective, and ever so happy.

The sun is shining down on Donghae now, reminding Kyuhyun of honey - oozing, silky honey – and Kyuhyun runs a gentle hand through Donghae’s messy hair without thinking.

You look so handsome, he thinks, and then blushes at his own thoughts.

Silly. It’s silly. And yet it feels so right…

Donghae puts aside the plates and tray, settling them on the floor with a gentle clunk.

And before Donghae can say anything more, before he’s even fully upright, Kyuhyun presses forward into a kiss. Donghae’s muffled surprise makes Kyuhyun giggle, but he suspects that his cheeks have warmed, rosy and pink, as he pulls away, from the lovesick smile Donghae rains down upon him.

Having Donghae smile at him feels like having the sun watching him, feels like being the rarest of stars in the galaxy when under such a loving stare.

Kyuhyun’s lips, parted and pink, he breathes out quickly, pressing into the soft hand Donghae runs through his hair.

It’s foolish, he thinks, to have fallen so utterly and whole-heartedly. But it’s so very worth it. So very like us - our love, so rushed, so perfect. It’s lovely, he thinks, to love you.

It’s every part of their love that makes Kyuhyun’s stomach swirl. Donghae’s warmth, his kisses, his hugs, his tea in the early mornings, his dry lips, the songs he hums whilst making breakfast.

And their love makes him wonder silly questions.

If he kissed him again, long and until they’re utterly breathless, would he be able to taste every part of him?

It’s silly questions like that which run through his mind when he’s with Donghae. Only when he’s with Donghae.

“I can practically see you thinking, Kyu.” Donghae teases, a wonderful note of joy to his voice.

“And I suppose you hoped I’d say something cheesy like ‘I was thinking of you’?”

I was, he thinks. But then he thinks that Donghae doesn’t need to know that.

And then he thinks that he wants to stay here, with Donghae, just like this, forever.

His eyes must soften, must give away his thoughts, because Donghae presses a kiss, ever so gentle and delicate, against his lips.

“We don’t have to go anywhere today,” Donghae whispers - promises - against his lips, watching him. “We can stay here all day, if you want.”

And Kyuhyun nods, eyes fluttering close as he rests their foreheads together. “I’d like that, Donghae.”

Donghae pulls him down, presses kiss after kiss against him, showers him in minutes of love that Kyuhyun will treasure forever.

Donghae always knows what he needs.

A relaxed sigh slips past his lips and he tucks himself under Donghae’s chin, feeling sleep wind its way around him.

And as the warm ooze of darkness takes over him, he’s left with the touch of his lover wrapped around him, and the thought that even if this moment never ended, he would love it just as much.

Red silk, soft under his fingertips. But now, joining it, is warm skin wrapped around him, in an embrace he hopes will never end.