Chapter 3: Berserks

The Last Vampire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                “Seulgi-shi!” Seungwan called. She was waiting for a while now on a street near Seulgi’s house. She ran towards her who was wearing her school uniform and was on her way home.

 

                Seulgi flinched at the sudden call and found Seungwan running towards her. She stopped on her pace as she waited for her. “Why are you here?”

 

                “Uhm… Seulgi-shi… I wish to talk to you.” Seungwan said as she panted.

 

                Seulgi eyed her. “Is this about what you were asking me yesterday? I’m sorry but I cannot promise anythi—”

 

                “It’s about your sister, Kang Yerim.” She cut her. She noticed how her expression changed, from serious to shock to despair. That moment, Seungwan knew she finally seized the chance to talk to her.

 

+++

 

                They are now sitting in front of each other on a small café near Seulgi’s house. Seungwan specifically chose the table in the corner for privacy. She ordered chocolate cake for her and strawberry short cake for Seulgi along with iced coffee for the beverage. They waited in awkward silence for their order to come so that they can talk in peace without someone interrupting them after.

 

                Seungwan was hesitant to do it. But she was willing to do anything for her master. Though she disapproved of Sooyoung’s ways, she cannot deny the fact that her reasons were legit, and she has a point. She agreed to help her after she heard those. Though not very confident about it, she is right that the girl in front of her is the only one they can rely on.

 

                Seulgi was filled with doubt that moment. Few days have passed since she attacked the last vampire. She was afraid for her life because of that, she knows the last vampire can come attack her anytime but her paranoia seemed for nothing. No signs of vampire threatened her existence. She felt disappointed in herself. She did not only failed to kill her sister’s killer but she also felt afraid of her. She felt lost at what to do next. She wanted to do something to avenge her sister’s death. It was still fresh on her mind what happened on that night six months ago, after all. And it haunts her every single day.

 

                It was late in the evening when Seulgi arrived at their house from club activities. She was skipping towards their door, excited to eat dinner that her sister always prepare for her. She was about to open the door when she suddenly heard multiple thuds inside. She halted from her stance and she felt nervous. She hurriedly open the door and walked past the genkan, not removing her shoes in the process. “Yerim-ah?” She called worriedly. She went straight past the staircase on her right, towards their living room. She panicked when she saw pools of blood scattered all around the floor. “YERIM-AH????” She was almost crying as she called for her sister in hopes that nothing bad happened to her.

 

                “Seulgi-unnie…”

 

                She heard a faint call from the kitchen. She turned left and what she saw dropped her heart. A woman with long black hair with dark red eyes was behind her sister, as if she was supporting her back as she was sitting weakly on the floor; they were both covered in blood. The woman’s right arm was around her sister’s waist while her left was holding her head. Her face nearing her sister’s neck. She saw her sister mouthed ‘It’s alright’ with a weak smile on her face, as if saying goodbye. After that, she saw her sister fainted. She wanted to shout and run towards her sister but it was too late. The woman sank her teeth—no, more like her fangs—on her sister’s neck as she watched helplessly. She dropped herself on the floor. “YERIM-AHH!!!” Then blank. She felt a force behind her that made her fall completely unconscious on the floor.

 

                No one believed her story. It was ruled out that the perpetrator was just a sick vampire-wanna-be-maniac and was never caught. Autopsies denied that there were vampire bite marks on her neck and her sister’s body was immediately cremated. Her parents also believed that she’s just in state of shock and was hallucinating considering that she witnessed her sister’s murder and the fact that they were almost inseparable. A psychologist also said that she was probably fabricating some memories as a defense mechanism. It felt like she couldn’t trust anyone at that time and so she had decided to put justice on her own hands.

 

                That was when she left her club and concentrated on finding ways for revenge. She studied everything about vampires from history books. How to kill them, how to find them, and a lot more. Even with those, she was cornered on a slump. She had no idea where to start with that knowledge. Until one day, she found an envelope on her shoe locker. There was a picture of the woman that killed her sister and at the back of it was an address and the words: ‘The Last Vampire’. She had no idea who sent that or how it ended up in there but it was an answered prayer for her. That note led her to her sister’s killer so that she can extract her revenge.

 

                But she failed miserably. And as she reached a dead-end, another lead concerning her sister’s death was laid in front of her in the form of the girl in front of her, and she was ready to take every opportunity she can so that she can finally have her sister’s death avenged.

 

                The desserts were finally served and the both of them just stared at it.

 

                Seungwan looked at Seulgi and her dessert interchangeably as she coughed. “Have you told anyone about Joohyun-unnie, Seulgi-shi?” She asked almost in a whisper but she was sure that it was audible for Seulgi.

 

                “I want to know what you know about my sister first.” She said sternly.

 

                “About that… I won’t divulged anything about it unless you promise me that you won’t disclose any information regarding my master.”

 

                Seulgi somehow felt betrayed at that. Though there was no promise from Seungwan, she thought that she’ll give that vital information without any condition. Of course, she thought. It was stupid of her to think that way knowing that the girl was working for the vampire. “Did she sent you?”

 

                “No.” She bluntly answered. “I am here of my own accord.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter