Not always the same day

Partners in crime

If Taemin has to describe his highschool life in one word, he would chose "hell" as a perfect word to describe it. But the word hell was also too basic to use. Everyone thinks their Highschool life is hell, even the popular people just because they have to actually do some work for their education.

Taemin on the other hand, do lives a not so pleaseant highschool life. He is a very kind boy that likes to do voluntary work in the holidays or in his free time. He studies well for the exams and his grades are top tier. He was the golden child in his family. If this isn't enough already, his parents are also very wealthy, owning a restaurant.

This makes him an easy target for his bullies. Enough reasons to use him as punch bag. Some of them bully him because they don't live as wealthy as Taemin. Some of them bully him because they want to make him feel as miserable as they feel. And some of them even bully him for wearing glasses. It is ridiculous to get bullied for the most normal things ever, but that's how society works, sadly.

Despite the bullying, he tries to make the most of his Highschool years, that's what his teachers has been telling him over the years:

"Ignore the bullies, they will soon loose interest in you. Make the most of your Highschool years and have fun"

Funny, he stopped reacting to it 2 years ago and it only got worse. Seems like a solution isn't a solution after all. It was more like a "We don't have time for your personal problems. Take it or not", solution.


"See ya tomorrow, nerd"

one of the bullies yelled, throwing an empty lemonade can at him. Luckily, it hit his backpack and not his head.

As always, Taemin shows no reaction. He only keeps on walking. The time he walks home alone is the time where he focuses on his surroundings, trying to forget his thoughts that occupy his mind everyday after Highschool. It is the only time where he really feels free. Free from his bullies, free from Highschool, free from everything.

As soon as he walked around the corner, he almost got overran by someone. Quickly, he moved back, somehow avoiding a painful crash.

"Stop this thief Taemin!"


His father yelled angrily. Confused, Taemin looked back, seeing the guy who almost crashed into him running for his life.

'We have been robbed', he realised.

Unsure but following his father's order, he threw his backpack on the ground and ran after the thief, who was a way faster than him. Then suddenly the guy disappeared when they ran around another corner.

Out of breath, Taemin stopped to run. It was luck that he wasn't failing P.E at school with that bad stamina he got. When he turned around to walk back home two pairs of hands grabbed him by the shoulders, pulling him into an Alley.

His back got pressed against the cold stone wall and a gloved hand covered his mouth. Infront of him stood a tall male, definitely older than him. He was dressed in red pants, black shirt and a leather jacket. The shoes he wore added some extra height to him. In his right hand he was holding a bag, which looked well filled.

"You won't scream for help, got it?"

The guy growled, looking around quickly to make sure nobody was watching them. Taemin just nodded, not daring to move an inch. As soon as his mouth was freed, he instinctively screamed out for help, making the stranger slap his hand onto his mouth again.

"Be quiet! I have a knife in my pocket and I don't think you would want me to use it"

The stranger now threatened which made Taemin anxious. He didn't mean to scream and to anger him further.

Once again, the hand got removed. This time Taemin was silent, almost holding his breath. One wrong move or one wrong sentence and it could end his life. He was only 15 years old, he haven't lived yet.

"So, I got pretty unlucky that you came around the corner. The ing kid of this bastard chef!  But I'm also very lucky that he's got such a weak son..."

the guy came closer to Taemin's face, making him squeeze his eyes shut

"...Listen boy, I don't want to hurt you so better do what I say. I only robbed you some food from the buffet, not quite of a big deal, but I need some money. Get me some, like fifty bucks and I leave you alone."

He commanded Taemin, who slowly opened his eyes again. Taemin wasn't sure what to say or what to do. On the one hand, he knew it was wrong to do this. He can't rob his own father just to help a criminal! but on the other hand, he doesn't have a choice and he doesn't want to get stabbed.

"What is your name?"

Taemin finally dared to ask, making the male smirk. It was a stupid question to ask, they both knew it.

"I won't tell you, just call me Ming. I don't know why you wanted to know it but there you go."

"Y-yeah, sorry...I'm nervous"

Taemin stuttered, still feeling very anxious about the situation he was in. Ming moved away from him, one hand in his pocket now, making Taemin flinch. The reaction didn't get unnoticed, earning a laugh from Ming.

"I know where you live so you better come back to me"

Taemin just nodded, walking quickly away from him. 'Why me?' he asked himself. Why on earth was he the one to get in this mess? All he did was walk home and now he has to give a criminal 50 bucks or something bad will happen. Today, wasn't his day.

He thought about a plan how to get the money. He could lie to his father and tell him, that he needs the money for school. Or he could distract his father and get it directly from the cash register. They make more than enough money, his father wouldn't notice any of it missing.

"You haven't catched him?"

His father asked when Taemin entered their resteraunt. His backpack, that he left on the streets, was on one of the dining chairs. 'My lunch money', Taemin thought to himself.

"No, he was too fast. I'm sorry"

He apologized, getting his backpack from the chair. His father came towards him, gesturing him to sit down.

"How was school today?"

He asked, a sentence that Taemin heard everyday. It became a routine for his father to ask about his school day. Taemin has to be honest with everything, even with the bullying, because at the end of the day his father will call his teachers and ask them if it was true or not. It's not like that he doesn't trust his son, but he wants to make sure that he was fine and not lying about his feelings. He just wanted the best for him, even though he can't stop the bullying.

"Fine. I submitted my science project and hopefully get the grade at the end of the week. Mrs. Myong looked very pleased! Nothing special happened, when I walked home a kid threw an empty can at me, but I ignored it"

Taemin told his dad as fast and short as he could. He didn't want to test out Ming's patiences by not appearing in the next 10 minutes.

"Alright, anything else you might want me to tell?"

Taemin shook his head. Actually, he wanted to tell his father that this criminal threatened him, but he still don't want to risk his life. One thing he learned was to be careful who you talk to and who you anger.

"Okay, you can go upstairs now"

His father gave him permission. Luckily, Taemin needed to go outside first, before he could enter their house. So, he ran as fast as he could with his backpack in his hands to Ming, who patiently waited for Taemin to return.

When Taemin ran around the corner and lowered his speed, he almost tripped and fell down which made Ming laugh in joy.

"Not only weak but clumsy. Now come here and give me my money"

Ming said, pulling Taemin into the alley.
His glasses moved because of the rough action, making Taemin adjust them. He then opened the backpack to get the money and gulped when he saw that he got more than fifty bucks.

Taemin got hundred bucks, some extra money as a bonus for his grades. Of course Ming immediately took it and ran away with it, before Taemin could do anything else.

"Hey!"

He yelled, but it was hopeless. What was he expecting? That Ming will take only fifty and leave? Of course he gets all the money.
Well, at least Taemin didn't have to worry about being killed or stabbed anymore.

With a relieved feeling, Taemin went home again. He immediately made his way into his room, not greeting his mother yet. He just wanted to finish some homework and to process the day.

He never met a criminal before until today, and he even helped him. But that doesn't make him a criminal right? He just wanted to avoid some trouble, so he shouldn't feel guilty. Everybody would have done it like this.

Today, he met Ming for the first and for the last time...

...Hopefully.