Beautiful LiaR

Beautiful Lie

Leo is already in his fifth year in a relationship with his girlfriend, the only girl that he loves this much. They were happy and satisfied with their current relationship but for all those years, Leo had learned the art of lying. Mainly, because that one time, they were arguing and he had unintentionally hurt his girlfriend's feelings by saying the truth. He learned then that there is some truth that is not meant to be spoken.

 

 

On the other side, his girlfriend loves the way he's been so honest with his feelings and thoughts so far, it's just that it goes way too overboard when he is not in the mood. As time passes by, she could slowly tell that her partner is not being honest with his feelings anymore, as if he was putting on an "I'm fine" mask every time he feels the opposite.

 

 

This led their hearts to slowly grow apart. With the girl, reaching out for Leo and him trying his best to hide. It turned into a push-and-pull relationship. The once colorful love... slowly turning gray.

 

 

Until one day, they decided to cool down and give each other enough time to think and reflect on what was happening in their current relationship. Are they still happy when they're together? Only their hearts hold the answer to their unspoken questions, however, the longing made them even more oblivious to their situation.

 

 

They came back and stitched back their loose ties but it still seems to fall apart even more.

 

 

Days passed and their shared home had become even more suffocating. The girl noticed how careful Leo acts whenever she is around. There is no sense of comfort at all and she can't handle how she sees her partner like this, she wants him to be honest and comfortable with her again. However, things weren't going anywhere better as she needs to go back home due to her mom's call… it seemed urgent, so she hurried back home, and there, she learned that she was destined to be married to someone... someone who's not Leo.

 

 

She angrily went back to tell Leo what had just happened, the man was flabbergasted but still remained calm. Unknown to her, Leo has been waiting for signs if he should let her free of this suffocating relationship and the news that had just come to him seems to assure him that this is the better choice... that he should let her girl free.

 

 

He calmly smiled, "If he's someone you're parents have chosen for you then he's probably really good. You should obey them."

 

The girl was shocked, as it wasn't the words she wanted to hear. "Are you serious?! I'm getting married to another man! A man who's not you… yes, he's nice but I don't love him, he's not you."

 

Leo continued, "If he's nice then you'll learn to love him."

 

The girl furrowed her brows, "And what about us? Are you telling me to leave US behind?"

 

Leo nodded, "I've been thinking about this the whole time and now that I know someone's already there to catch you, then I'm relieved."

 

The girl gasped, "Relived?! You! Take that back! You don't mean that, do you?! You're just lying again!"

 

"No, I'm not… what gave you that idea that I am lying? I'm not lying" Leo replied. "I was just waiting for the right time to tell you but we definitely can't continue what we have now."

 

The girl cried and fell down on her knees "Just what are you trying to say?! You told me you love me more than anyone else. You told me that we're going to be together forever. You told me that you wouldn't let go of me, no matter what. Where's the Leo I know?! Where's the selfish Leo who would easily get angry when another guy tries to talk with me?!"

 

 

The girl hit him on his cheeks and run out. It stung. Her palms left a burning feeling on his cheeks. The days continued to pass… LR has been pondering on his actions. How can he say those mean words to her? He, who can't even imagine a life without her? Why? Why is he letting go of her tightly held hands if his heart still belongs to her? Is this what true love really means? 

 

 

The girl finally came back to Leo just to give him the wedding invitation. Secretly hoping that he'll change his mind. The girl proceeded on packing her things. She took her time and waited for a word but nothing goes out of Leo's tightly shut lips. Her tears started to roll down her cheeks. Her visions were blurred by the tears forming in her eyes. Why? Why would he stay quiet?

 

 

 

The girl stopped packing her things and just cried on his bed… asking why. Leo only looked at her reflection in the mirror, thinking that this might be the last time he could look at her closely, and then, he thought…

 

 

"Someone like me, who always hurts her, doesn't deserve happiness with her…"

"but I want her only by my side…"

 

 

 

As if an opposing voice echoed in his mind, he unconsciously asked her if she wants coffee. His girl was somewhat relieved but that relief didn't last for long. As they sat in front of the table, the silence has become even more suffocating. As if they were both drowning in an abyss of darkness where no one can call for help... despite this, no exchange of words had happened. The girl expectantly looked at him, silently wishing that he'll take her back. But nothing… only deafening silence from Leo, who isn't even looking at her… whether due to hate or due to his lies, she doesn't know, all she wants to hear right now are those three words they've used to tell each other before...

 

"I love you."

 

 

The girl tried to reach Leo's hand, "You're just playing with me again, right? You're back, right? Leo… just tell me that you still love me... just tell me you don't want me to leave and I won't."

 

However, Leo shook his head, "I'm sorry…"

 

"WHYYY?!"

 

 

"I don't love you anymore."

 

"You're lying! Look at me and say that again" she insisted but then, she thought that she shouldn't have dared him so.

 

Leo looked at her straight in the eyes, the coldest glare he had ever given her, "I. Don't. Love. You. Anymore" he said stressing out each word.

 

The girl pulled back in shock, but LR had caught her hand and as if he was surprised by his actions, he quickly let go of it, "Best wishes" he said over his breathe.

 

"I… can't take this anymore. I need to go now" the girl said as she handed him a set of keys, with a customized keychain of the letter "L" crafted into it.

 

 

 

 Leo who was about to reach for the key halted. He stopped and sat quietly…

 

 

As if having an internal conflict with his thoughts, he glared at the woman in front of him.

 

 

 

"Why?" the girl asked for the last time.

 

 

 

Leo didn't move an inch as the girl grabbed her luggage and started to walk her way out. Honestly? He wants to stop her. He wants her to stay. He doesn't want her to marry a man that is not him. It's not like he wants to lie to her... he was just scared that he might hurt her again...

 

 

His thoughts had been echoing inside, beating his heart into a messy pulp. He wants to reach out to her...

 

 

And unconsciously, he had followed and suddenly called her name.

 

 

"Jinsil..."

 

The girl stopped and looked back, her heart skipping beats.

 

 

Is this what she's been waiting for?

 

 

 

 

Leo surprised by his own action, mentally slapped himself. Standing still…

 

 

 

Silence...

 

 

 

The girl bitterly smiled and walked out after no words came from him.

 

 

 

"The fact that we had loved is beautiful" he whispered as unconscious tears fell down.

 

 

 

 

"This is my last lie, a beautiful lie. Don't look back at me…"

 

"No… this is… I… I'm just a cowardly liar."

 

 

 

 

 

 

--end--