From a stolen wallet to no escape

Streetwise (PAUSED)

KEY'S POV:

Key leaned against the wall of the new store and his iPhone. No new messages. He sighed. His style was simple, yet eye-catching and trendy. A light pink jacket hung loosely over his shirt, his black jeans were new and so were his shoes.

He shifted his glasses and gazed lazily around the procession where his father and uncle were giving individual speeches, followed by others.
He didn’t particularly want to be dragged along to the opening of one of the largest stores in Seoul. It was supposed to have everything. There was a camping section (who’d want to sleep outside on the hard ground when you have a perfectly nice bed?), furniture and, this was Key’s favourite, clothes.


His room was spotless, but if you opened the built-in wardrobe you were sure to be crushed by the amount of clothes and shoes he had stuffed in there. Just like some people can’t get enough of money, Key was one that could never have enough clothes.

'Now I can go on a shopping spree when– wait, I mean “if” this store ever actually opens…'


“YAH! Key-hyung, can you buy me some video games?”


“Vid- … TAEMIN! You’re not supposed to treat your elders like that! Especially since I’m your cousin! Why on EARTH should I buy you MORE things?? It’s-”


“… whatever…” Taemin tugged his black beanie, annoyed by Key’s ranting. He put on his headphones, that had laid around his neck, closed his eyes and was lost to the world of music.
Key sighed. His younger cousin used to be so cute and happy. Everyone loved to pinching his squishy marshmallow cheeks and coo at him. You could convince him to do anything by tempting him with banana milk.


And then he got into high school.  Key pouted, remembering how angry Taemin got when you called him cute back then.
Key leaned on the wall, once again, bored of waiting for the two most respected scientists in the world, his father and uncle, to finish talking. It was sure to take another 30 minutes.
His eyes trailed around the mall, to which the new store was attached. Two ragged and dirty boys around his age were sitting at a bench, looking intensely at the crowd.


Weirdos…


He adjusted his glasses and closed his eyes.



JONGHYUN’S POV:

Waiting… 


There was a goldmine sitting right in front of us. So many people. Correction. So many rich people.
Minho shuffled anxiously beside me, before he sat on the bench. I joined him. Onew was probably taking his time.


Suddenly I saw him escape from the crowd gathered around the outside of the new store, ZUPER-MART. He was older than me, but that didn’t mean he bossed me around. I was the leader.
He flashed his bright teeth and threw down something bulky and brown. A leather wallet; and it was stuffed with money. I grinned. We’d have food tonight!


“I thought you’d like it.” Onew shifted the cap on his head and sat besides Minho, “That was the smallest one I could find. We’re lucky people still carry cash.”


I nodded, quickly taking the money out and stuffing it in a small brown backpack I always carried. I handed back the wallet, so that Onew could return it before the person noticed.
Suddenly there was clapping and the red ribbon in front of the store was cut. I grinned.
“Time to start our business boys.” I put on a sick-mask and watched as my pals did the same.

ONEW’S POV:
Huh, if it weren’t for my quick fingers and me we would’ve starved long ago. Sure I was clumsy and sometimes gave the game away, but I still brought in the most cash.
I pulled my cap down, close over my eyes and strolled into the newly opened store. Everything was so… so… so expensive! Just the cost of a lounge would feed us for a week or two!
I quickly evaluated the security cameras on the roof and where they focused. Wow, I didn’t think it would be this easy! There were so many blind spots that I could empty a whole aisle and I wouldn’t be taped.


It was a good thing that we had already planned our escape. There was at least five guards at the gates, checking people’s bags already, even after they had paid for stuff. Boy, this store had its security pretty messed up!
In half an hour I had already emptied 14 wallets and my jacket’s pocket bulged slightly. I grinned and made my way to the electronics selection. It was empty, except for a sleepy looking attendant behind a desk. I wandered around, before I noticed two figured crouched in front of a glass cabinet. 


Minho, with his calm genius, had unlocked the lock on the cabinet and both were stuffing their bags with ipods, iphones and other expensive electronics. We could sell them later…
“Hey, how did you go?” asked Jonghyun as I kept watch.


“Good. Better than you would any day.” I saw him flinch. Oh yeah, he hates to be challenged.


“Oh yeah?” he growled.


“Easily. Your short, fat fingers just don’t have my talent.”


“Is that a challenge?” 


“Is it?” Ha. I got him now. I wasn’t even sure why we were doing this, I mean there’s no doubt he’d get caught. But still, I wanted to have some sort of fun.


He clenched his teeth and glared at me, “Fine.”


“Uh-oh, two kids coming this way!” they looked a few years younger than us, but definitely loaded with money. You could see the word “rich” literally drip from them. Spoilt brats.


“Okay then, those will be my targets.” Jonghyun shoved his heavy bag into my arms and swaggered over to them.
I grinned at the silent Minho and got ready to enjoy the show.


----


TAEMIN’S POV:

Stupid store. Stupid people. Stupid world.
I glared at my cousin, who had insisted on dragging me around. 


Key had wondered why I was in such a bad mood. Geez, do you think I’d be happy after he greeted me by pinching my cheeks and saying how cute I looked today.

 

Stupid people who judge you on how you looked.

 

I wanted to be home or at the studio. Only at those places I felt completely free. Only at those places I could dance my heart out and make my feelings disappear. My parents were never home and the servants couldn’t give a toss about what I did. I was free to do whatever I wanted, and I did.

 

“Hey Taminnie!” I flinched at the baby-ish nickname, but Key just ignored me, “look at that guy over there, don’t you think he looks like that dinosaur pillow I gave you last year?”

 

I glanced at the swaggering young man walking towards us. Yes he did have that ‘dinosaur’ look about him; he was short too.

 

“Do you still have it?” Key stared at me creepily.

 

“W-what?”

 

“Your dinosaur pillow! The T-rex one I gave you for your birthday!” he pouted. Eh, he failed at being cute.

 

“Pfft, no! Why would I have such a child plaything?” I answered hotly. I actually did still have it still sitting on my bed, but I would never admit it to Key.

 

“Awww! Why didn’t you give it back to m-“

 

“Hi ladies!” the dinosaur-man now stood in front of us. Ladies?!

 

Key sniffed and scowled at the stranger “Leave us alone! We are too superior to listen to such nonsense!”

 

He grabbed my hand, but I pulled away. I didn’t want to seem like we were a gay couple. Aish, how embarrassing!

 

“Where are you going?” the dinosaur man suddenly hugged my cousin’s back. I saw Key freeze, his hair stood upon end. I felt numb with shock.

 

Key HATED being touched by ‘common-folk’, as he called them. With family he was always touchy-feely and  over-affectionate, but strangers that were below his class he loathed. And this dirty, apparently high stranger was definitely in that category.

 

“GET OFF ME YOU SHORT ERTED DRUNK!!! YAHHHH!!! HELP!!! HE-“

 

I was still horrified and in shock. The dinosaur-guy fell back and grinned widely. He turned towards two other customers further away, waved something and yelled “I GOT IT!!! SEE I TOLD YOU I’M THE BES- OWWW!!”

 

Key had plowed into the guy and tackled him, trying to grab the object in his hands. I recognized it as Key’s wallet.

 

Snap out of it, Taemin!

 

I shook my head. The two were still struggling, while the watching guys were laughing. I leapt and swiped at the wallet. I slid across the floor on my stomach, gripping the fat wallet.

 

“YEAH! Go Taemin! Get security!”

 

I got up, and started to bolt towards the front desk, which was at the other end of the shop when there was a familiar loud crack that stopped me in my tracks. I had only heard it in movies and video games.

 

After the gunshot had gone off, a far-off woman screamed and then the loudspeakers squeaked “Dear customers, please do not be alarmed. We are merely holding up this store. Please make your way to the front desk, there’s no point in hiding and getting hurt.”

 

I turned to Key, terrified. Oh crap… ohcrappitycrapittycrud!!!  Key was on the ground looking slightly lost; Dinosaur-Man and his friends had vanished.

 

I began to whisper, “What do we d-“ when the loudspeakers crackled and squealed once again.

 

“And to Professor Kim and Professor Lee and their family who are present, give yourselves up now. There’s no escape. We’re coming to get you.”

 

I felt my heart stop.



Author notes:

Minkee - So how do you like it so far? ^^ Please subscribe and comment!! 
mickeyee - Some things might not be clear at the moment but the story will process in the next chapters~ ^^ Please subscribe! Enjoy~