sweet

chocolate

"will you give me your kisses?"

 

seungwan halted to a stop, quickly turning her head towards the very familiar voice of her best friend, seulgi, who's hovering above her as she was organizing her things. she blinked a few times and seulgi's innocent grin was still in place as if she hadn't asked a very flustering question out of nowhere, and in the middle of the university library at that.

 

"what," seungwan asked, as she continued putting her things into her backpack as she willed her face to not look too flustered. "oh my gosh, why is it so hot in here?" she says nonchalantly if ever seulgi notices her burning cheeks.

 

seungwan caught a glimpse of how seulgi pouted as she took a seat across from her. "come on wannie, i know you wouldn't eat them,"

 

this halted seungwan's movements once more as her brain stopped malfunctioning and finally realized what seulgi was trying to say. she felt the slight disappointment in her as her eyes cast down to the pack of chocolate yeri insisted on giving her earlier.

 

"oh," seungwan says, not knowing she let the disappointment drip on her voice, "s-sure, here you go," she tried to say enthusiastically as she handed over the cursed bag of sweets.

 

seulgi took the bag but gave seungwan a look, a look that she never took off of her.

 

"what's wrong, wannie?" seulgi inquired, "did you change your mind about chocolates now? do you want them back?" she asked, offering the bag back unsurely.

 

shaking her head, seungwan answered, willing herself to smile, "no, i just remembered how much work i still need to finish," she answered, motioning to all the books she has yet to read.

 

"oh, yikes," seulgi scrunched her nose and seungwan couldn't help but think that her best friend looks cute. "that doesn't look fun at all," she says as she starts to open up the bag of kisses that seungwan just gave.

 

the librarian turned to them and motioned to the "keep silence" sign sternly. seulgi was flustered and stopped tinkering the loud plastic. she looked sad as she decided to put it to her bag while seungwan bowed apologetically.

 

"i think we should leave," seungwan whispered.

 

"how about your readings?"

 

"i was about to leave anyway,"

 

...

 

the best friends found themselves sitting in one of the booths in the nearby diner to grab some food. they are waiting for their food to be served while seungwan busies herself again with more readings.

 

"You should eat those after we finish our lunch, seulgi," seungwan says, as she heard the loud rustling of the plastic bag again, she did not even bother lifting her head up.

 

seungwan hid a smile as she pictured seulgi's pouting face hearing, "but wan-ah, the food would take forever and i'm hungry now,"

 

sighing, seungwan lifted her gaze towards her, and lo and behold, there’s her best friend, pout in place. "seul, you'll spoil your appetite, remember what happened last time?"

 

this time, seulgi's pout is accommodated by a cute little frown. "but that's because i ate too much! i swear i'll only eat one this time," she then met her gaze, “all things considered, that was your fault,”

 

“what!”

 

“well, you didn’t tell me to stop—“

 

“—i did tell you to stop!”

 

“—you didn’t have conviction when you told me to stop,”

 

“what,”

 

seungwan sighed as she saw the victorious smile on seulgi’s face, and realized that her best friend was messing with her—as per usual. she rolled her eyes, making the other girl laugh.

 

“aww, come on wan-ah, everyone knows you’re my keeper,” seulgi says, seungwan tried not to read into that, “besides, if you just take it when i offer you sweets, i wouldn’t have to eat them all by myself,”

 

“you know you don’t have to always eat all your sweets by yourself in one sitting,”

 

“but they’re sweets! no one can resist sweets!” seungwan answered by giving her best friend a deadpan look, seulgi grinned annoyingly. “you know, someday i'll make you like sweets so we can go to those pretty aesthetic cafes and eat cakes together,”

 

like a date? a little part of seungwan’s brain asked, “good luck with that,” she says instead.

 

“nah, i don’t need ‘good luck’, i just need a little more courage,” seulgi says quietly as she sneakily opened the pack and popped a single kisses chocolate into .

 

knotting her eyebrows together, seungwan asked, “what does that even mean?”

 

seulgi’s eyes bulged as she realized what she has just said.

 

seungwan almost wanted to laugh out loud hearing what seulgi said next, “did i just say that out loud?” her best friend asked as she popped another kisses onto , this time holding them between her lips nervously.

 

“yeah you did, you airhead,” seungwan says with a playful grin.

 

it’s no wonder she’s in love with her best friend. she knows this clumsy and airheaded version of the mysterious art club president and charismatic captain of the dance club that nobody else does and yet she still finds her very lovable. yeah, she is in deep .

 

seungwan expected seulgi to laugh it off but then her best friend leaned forward towards her with a kind of out of place seriousness plastered on her face.

 

it couldn’t be helped if seungwan’s eyes stayed on seulgi’s lips as her best friend finally finished the godforsaken piece of diabetes. “yeri told me that maybe you’d change your mind about sweets if..”

 

“if..?” seungwan asked as her eyes reluctantly left the subject of seulgi’s lips to meet seulgi’s intense eyes.

 

with how close they are, seungwan can’t help but notice how her best friend gulped before answering her. “if i did this…”

 

seungwan couldn’t tell if what happened next was too fast or if it lasted a lifetime but seulgi’s chocolate-stained lips touched hers and it was everything.

 

when seungwan’s soul came back to her body, the first thing she registered is seulgi’s face in front of her, she almost thought she hallucinated if not for seulgi’s blazing cheeks and the sweet taste of chocolate on her lips.

 

“what,” was seungwan’s initial reaction.

 

seulgi still has her cheeks burning and shyly met her eyes, “wan-ah, i..i like you,”

 

“what,” seungwan dumbly repeated.

 

suddenly seulgi looked alarmed, “oh my god, i knew yeri was just messing with me! i..i’m sorry!” she said in panic and bowed in front of seungwan with her palms together. “please forget what just happened in the last three minutes!”

 

“seulgi,” seungwan called.

 

“please don’t be mad, we can stay friends,” seulgi continued to beg.

 

“seulgi,” seungwan called again.

 

“i’m sorry, wan-ah, but please, i don’t want to lose my best friend,”

 

“seulgi,” seungwan called again, only this time, she used her hand and touched seulgi’s chin, lifting her best friend’s face. “i’m not mad, seul, i was in shock,”

 

the look of devastation on seulgi’s face diminished a bit, now she’s looking at seungwan with cautious curiosity, “what do you mean?” she asked with a slight sniff.

 

“i just never thought..” seungwan shook her head slightly, eyes avoiding looking at her best friend, “it’s just..i’ve been crushing on you for so long,”

 

seungwan looked back at seulgi because of the prolonged silence between them; she almost squealed seeing how adorable her best friend looked, shyly avoiding her gaze but with obvious joy, her sweet lips curved into a delighted smile and pink blush on her chubby cheeks knowing that she’s the reason for it.

 

when seulgi finally met her eyes, there was a determined look on her face. then her best friend took her hand, “wan-ah,” she called, “do you want to be my girlfriend?”

 

it wasn’t like the question was out of the blue but seungwan felt so flustered and embarrassed, but seulgi is her best friend so her instincts told her what to do, “really? you're asking me that in a diner?”

 

seulgi’s delighted blush turned into embarrassment and she spluttered unintelligently before she whined a dignified “yah!”, hand automatically slapping seungwan’s hand on the table. and popped another kisses into before pouting.

 

seungwan laughed, feeling tons lighter, “but yes, seulgi, i’d love to be your girlfriend,”

 

this brought back seulgi’s grin and leaned closer to seungwan, “does that mean i can get another kiss?” she asked but didn’t wait for her answer and continued leaning into seungwan’s space.

 

however, seulgi’s lips met seungwan’s index finger, making her frown. their eyes met and seungwan readily offered an explanation to seulgi’s unvoiced question, “the sweets,”

 

“what? you don’t like my kisses enough to tolerate the kisses?” seulgi asked, her lips pursed, reminding seungwan of a duck meme.

 

the comparison in her head made seungwan laugh again, “debatable,” seulgi’s pout intensified hearing her answer, “but also we’re kind of in a public place right now so if you want to change my mind, maybe you can..once we get home.” she said flirtily with a wink.

 

seulgi scoffed but there’s a prominent blush on her face and there was an amused smile on her already-proven-quite-literally sweet lips.