one

halloweentown

Nayeon peered up at the large statue, a multitude of feelings running through her body in warped speed. She remembers the last time she was in this very position, staring at the ever unchanging pumpkin in the middle of the courtyard. It had felt like an entire eternity ago. Five years out in the mortal world might as well have been that long for a place like Halloweentown. 

 

“C’mon sis, we promised we would meet Minji at grandma’s house to help for the party.”

 

She glanced over to her younger sister. “I have no idea how you managed to convince me to come back, Jimin.” Nayeon sighed, instinctively pulling out her cellphone only to be met with a blank screen. She had forgotten iPhones don’t work here. 

 

Jimin tugged her towards the open road bustling with taxis driven by skeletons. “Our deal was that we help prep for the party, stay for an hour, then have you back home before the clock strikes midnight.” They flagged down a cab with a familiar license plate. Nayeon racked her brain on why while her sister yapped on. “Besides, you wouldn’t actually miss our brother’s engagement party, would you?” 

 

Once they shuffled into the backseat, Nayeon crossed her arms and pouted. “Maybe I would’ve.”

 

“See, now you’re just being petty. It’s nice to be back after so long!”

 

“Do my lack of eyes deceive me, or am I really in the presence of the Im sisters?!” The driver swiveled his skull around and that’s when the memory hit Nayeon. 

 

 

Nayeon made her escape from the party and fled into an idling taxi cab waiting in the circular driveway of the obnoxiously colossal mansion of the infamous—

 

“Where to?” The skeleton asked.

 

“Anywhere but here.”

 

 

A nudge from Jimin knocked Nayeon out of her brief flashback. She collected herself before speaking. “The one and onlies!” 

 

“Man, it feels like centuries since you two have graced us with your presence in Halloweentown!” The engine spluttered and they made their way out of city hall and into the neighborhoods. “Your brother has grown up to be a fine young mayor. I hear congratulations are also in order?”

 

Jimin inched forward with a wide and proud smile. “Yes! He’s finally getting married to his longtime girlfriend!” Nayeon grumbled quietly and took a look out the window.

 

Everything was the same. All the same shops, all the same houses, all the same creatures walking about. She remembers spending all her time here back when the idea of Halloweentown was magical to her. Now it just felt like a bittersweet memory. 

 

The sisters walked up the concrete stairway leading up to the double entry doors. “And where does Minjeong think you are today? I figured you two would have plans for Halloween.” Now it was Jimin’s turn to pout, her sister had hit a sore spot. 

 

“Shut up.”

 

They rang the doorbell and not two seconds later, they were face to face with their beloved cousin. “Minji!” Jimin jumped into her open arms, leaving Nayeon to shut the doors behind them. 

 

It took Nayeon a total of ten seconds to get used to the scene in front of her. Their grandmother’s mansion had undergone a major transformation for the sake of this party. And it wasn’t even the wedding yet!

 

“Umm, just how many people are coming today?”

 

“Don’t ask such silly questions! The whole town, of course.” Minji waved dismissively. She shoved them towards the kitchen, absentmindedly wagging her finger to fix small details around the place. “I need you two to make sure all the tables are set with everyone’s seating arrangement.” She handed over what could be about a billion place cards. 

 

Nayeon gaped at her cousin. “How do you expect us to get through all this?!”

 

Minji rolled her eyes, about to speak up when Jimin answered for her instead. “Magic, duh! Minji said no silly questions!” Now it was Nayeon’s turn to roll her eyes as the two high fived in front of her. 

 

“Give me a break.” She mumbled more to herself as she stepped away to get started. There was no way Nayeon was going to do magic. She hadn’t done a single spell since the last time she was here, five years ago. 

 

Thirty minutes in, she could feel Jimin’s gaze on her from across the lawn. She had finished her half of the place cards after a swift spell and was now helping Nayeon manually. She couldn’t help but notice the concern etched into her perfectly done eyebrows. 

 

“Are you doing okay?” 

 

“Doing just dandy.”

 

“You do realize who will be here tonight.”

 

Nayeon swiveled on her sister. “Was doing dandy, no thanks to you.” She snatched the cards in Jimin’s hands and shoved past her, also shoving down the nerves that had been bubbling inside of her since the moment she stepped into Halloweentown. There was no room for all of these emotions at her brother’s engagement party. 

 

She plastered on a fake smile and went on to finish setting up. Jimin could only watch with worry. 

 

~~

 

“You can’t avoid them forever, you know. They’re one of the biggest families in town.” 

 

Nayeon sighed at the familiar sound of her younger brother. The guests should be filing in anytime soon, but they were perched on top of the slanted roof. This was her go to hide out spot. 

 

“How did you find out?”

 

“Momo Sinister.” Nayeon’s eyes widened, not expecting that answer at all. “We were at a dinner hosted by the Sinisters and she was the only daughter who cared to show up. She was drunk when she spilled the beans to me, so I’m sure she has no recollection of doing so.” 

 

The two sat and watched as the party’s first guests arrived and took their seats at one of the many tables set up on the spacious lawn. Nayeon didn’t feel like talking about this right now. Maybe later.

 

“Do you know how lucky you are? To have found someone to be with for the rest of your life? Somebody that wants all of you, forever?” She gulped down her emotions. This day, this moment, shouldn’t be about her. “Cherish her, Juyeon.”

 

Her brother softly gripped her shoulder and squeezed, bringing a wave of comfort over her. “I will.” 

 

After a minute, the window clattered open. “What are you two doing up here?! Juyeon, you should be down there greeting guests! And Nayeon— Jimin and I need your help on some last minute things!” 

 

When they made no immediate effort to move, Minji grabbed their arms and pulled them back inside. “Chop chop!” 

 

Nayeon slid next to Jimin out on the back porch. They took a minute to take in the view in front of them. The whole town really was here, judging by the packed lawn. 

 

And that’s when she saw her, standing across the way on the other end of the yard. Nayeon quickly hid her body behind Jimin, memories flooding her mind. 

 

 

Nayeon gasped lightly, feeling soft lips on hers. She had her eyes closed in anticipation, but still didn’t expect it to happen. 

 

“My feelings are far more superior than anyone else’s.” It was a loaded statement, given that Nayeon was sort of, kind of, unofficially dating— “especially my sister’s.” 

 

“Mina…”

 

She felt another feather light kiss on her lips and the warmth in front of her disappeared. Nayeon opened her eyes at the sound of a door closing. Mina was gone. 

 

 

“You alright?” Nayeon felt Jimin squeeze her shoulder. “We should probably take our seat before the speeches start.” Her little sister weaved them through the crowd towards the long table up front, seats specifically set up for family. 

 

~~

 

Nayeon impatiently tapped her foot, her other foot halfway through the portal to the mortal world. “Hurry up and say your goodbyes, Jimin. We’ve already been here longer than we agreed on.”

 

“You guys still got a couple hours till midnight, why don’t you go on without her?” Nayeon’s jaw clenched at Minji’s suggestion. She pointedly stared at her little sister, awaiting an answer. 

 

They already had the portal set up in their grandmother’s master bedroom, just waiting for them to cross on over. She could see the hesitance in Jimin’s eyes. Nayeon sighed. “You got thirty minutes. I’ll wait here.”

 

“Thank you thank you thank you—“

 

“Oh, shut it.”

 

Minji and Jimin zapped themselves out of the room and Nayeon could hear their giggles from outside. She decided to take a seat on the ginormous bed. Sometimes she missed the rush using magic gave her. But everything magic related would just remind her of Halloweentown and what she left behind. 

 

“Knock knock.”

 

And there goes her streak of avoiding her very issue with this place. 

 

“Sana Sinister.”

 

“Surprised to see that you’re still here.” She pointed at the portal. “Figured you’d have gone back by now.” 

 

Nayeon crossed her legs, then her arms almost defensively, an array of feelings coursed through her upon seeing her ex-girlfriend. She decided not to speak. Instead, she watched the other girl carefully as she entered the room. 

 

“Do you remember the last time we were in this very room?” There was a hint— just a hint— of teasing in her voice. It sent chills down her spine. Sana, in an extravagant red dress with her blonde hair pulled up. Nayeon could never deny how good she looked. 

 

She very much remembers that time. 

 

The two of them sneaking into her grandmother’s room to do unspeakable things. She cast her eyes downwards, a blush gracing her face whether it be because of shame or something else…

 

“What are you doing here?” Nayeon caved. 

 

“I can’t engage in civil conversation with an old friend? You never come around here anymore.” 

 

An old friend? Ha.

 

“How’s the mortal world treating you?”

 

“Better than you.”

 

Sana grimaced at the low dig. She doesn’t think that’s fair of Nayeon to say, but she doesn’t mention it. Instead, she turns towards the portal, gazing at it with curiosity. “I’ve always wondered what it’s like on the other side.” 

 

Nayeon made a disgruntled noise under her breath. It was clear that she wasn’t feeling this little reunion. It sent a small pang through Sana’s heart. She always did love Nayeon more than the other girl loved her. 

 

“Sana, are you up here?” Nayeon bristled at the new voice wafting through the door from down the hallway. Her eyes darted towards the portal, wondering if she could just make a break for it before— “Father wants us to meet him out front!”

 

Sana had the audacity to give Nayeon a little smirk before saying, “Mina, I’m in here!”

 

Frozen in place, Nayeon just watched the door with bated breath. She could easily do a spell to shut the door and lock it, but a part of her wanted what was to happen next. 

 

“What are you doing in here—“

 

People talked about this in movies and in books all the time, but Nayeon always wondered if it was all made up for the dramatics. But when Mina walked through the door, Nayeon swears it was in slow motion. 

 

She tries her hardest not to show a reaction when Mina tears her eyes away to look over to Sana, completely ignoring her presence. Nayeon gulped hard. 

 

“It’s time for us to go.” 

 

Sana lifted her hands and shrugged, leaning back against the wall, making no move to leave just yet. “Aren’t you going to say hello?” Nayeon could see Mina’s jaw clench. She still wasn’t looking her way, refusing to address her presence in the room.

 

Nayeon thought this was really messed up, but as her eyes wandered over to Sana, she understood why the blonde was acting this way. And quite frankly, Nayeon deserved it. 

 

Doesn’t make it feel any less cruel though, watching her ex girlfriend taunt her other former flame right in front of her. Nayeon momentarily wonders how the two sisters have made up and moved past this. Or if they had at all. 

 

The fun was over when Mina snapped herself out of the room, her voice traveling upwards from the bottom of the staircase, where Nayeon figures she teleported to. “Hurry up, Sana. Before father gets angry.” 

 

Nayeon wishes she didn’t feel the pang of disappointment, then another pang as she watches Sana wordlessly leave the room too without so much as a goodbye. It stung how she physically walked away instead of teleporting like Mina. Now she was all alone. 

 

She eyed the portal and slowly rose to her feet, having shaken out of her temporary stupor during that whole exchange. Nayeon couldn’t wait to get out of there and never have to come back (her brother’s wedding being a second exception, she supposes). Her brother would just have to visit her out in the mortal world after that. 

 

The floor creaked and Nayeon whirled around, expecting Jimin’s arrival, but she was met with no other presence. Odd, she thought, having an eerie sense that someone was watching her in that very moment. 

 

And someone was. 

 

~~

 

“You owe me.” Nayeon quickly whispered to her younger sister across the middle console of her car as she parked in the shopping mall lot. “I didn’t know I was signing up to be a third wheel today.” 

 

Jimin smiled, glancing at her girlfriend sitting patiently in the back seat. 

 

Nayeon trailed behind the two lovebirds while they swung their intertwined hands. It kind of reminded her of the early days of dating Sana, when they were just having some sweet innocent fun with each other. 

 

Before she knew Mina Sinister also had feelings for her. 

 

She shook her head, freeing herself from old thoughts that shouldn’t be reappearing in the first place. Nayeon never planned to see the Sinister sisters ever again anyway. 

 

But as fate would have it, Nayeon would never truly be free of them. 

 

They were walking one way, then suddenly, Nayeon felt Jimin dragging her and Minjeong in the complete opposite direction towards the food court. 

 

“I can’t believe it.” Jimin muttered under her breath, confusing the hell out of Nayeon. Minjeong was just as perplexed, but went along with Jimin obediently. 

 

They reached the sister’s favorite pizza stand and idled nearby. Jimin discreetly scanned the area before she blew a sigh of relief. 

 

“What was that all about, babe?” 

 

“I just really wanted some pizza!” Jimin nervously chuckled, sending Nayeon an urgent look when Minjeong had her back to them. “Been seriously craving a slice of pepperoni!” 

 

A commotion broke out from behind them and Nayeon, being inherently nosy, turned around to see what was going on. Jimin was too late in stopping her. “Holy , what is she doing here?!” 

 

Dropping all pretenses, Jimin facepalmed. “I had no idea she was going to be here today.”

 

Today? What do you mean by that?” Nayeon had on her big sister glare with her hands on her hips. Minjeong just watched the exchange with wide eyes, wishing to fade into the background. 

 

Jimin opened to speak, to explain herself, but someone interrupted with a clear of their throat. 

 

“The Im sisters. What a pleasure it is to run into you two out in the mortal world!” 

 

Mortal world?” Minjeong whispered into Jimin’s ear, but she went ignored. Jimin was absolutely frozen in place. She knew she was in deep trouble with Nayeon. 

 

Nayeon shrugged off the arm that was slung over her shoulder. “What the hell are you doing here, Momo?” She was cautious with her words, signaling to Jimin that she should take Minjeong and go elsewhere. Her sister caught on and immediately rushed them to a nearby store. 

 

“Your brother didn’t tell you?”

 

Frustration and anger started to flare up within Nayeon. She had an itching sense that things were being kept from her.

 

“Tell me what, exactly?” 

 

Momo grinned devilishly. “He made me assistant liaison with the mortal world.”

 

Nayeon scoffed. “What do you know about the mortal world? Last time I checked, you hated this place. Even vowed to never come here.” 

 

Momo narrowed her eyes, a thoughtful expression taking over her face. “A lot of things have changed since the last time we talked, Nayeon.” 

 

She stayed mum, not knowing how to respond to that. That was a conversation for another time. Instead, she asked a question. “Assistant to who?” 

 

“Aeri Uchinaga.” 

 

Nayeon couldn’t hold back her surprise, widening her eyes at the name. She never could have imagined Momo ever working alongside the infamous witch. Why would her own brother approve of this? 

 

And as if Momo could read her mind, “your brother thinks she deserved a second chance.” Her eyes sparkled with a bit of mystery. “He assigned me as assistant to keep an eye on her.” 

 

That made much more sense to Nayeon than Momo willingly volunteering for the role. 

 

Aeri Uchinaga. Nayeon remembers her as a young powerful witch who her own family. The trials lasted for years and it was ultimately decided that she was acting under the influence of mind control. The previous mayor had given her a pardon. 

 

She also remembers her as Minji’s close friend and neighbor. Their families were constantly hanging out together, throwing extravaganzas for absolutely no reason but to have fun. If Nayeon remembers correctly, though, the two were no longer friends. 

 

Momo continued to stare at Nayeon, considering her next words very carefully. “For what it’s worth, I think your brother is doing great as mayor.” 

 

She had no doubt about that, but worrying about her younger siblings was so ingrained in her. Nayeon wondered if people would take advantage of her brother’s unwavering kindness. Would it lead to his downfall?

 

“Thanks.” Nayeon made a mental note to phone her brother later to talk about all of this. 

 

~~

 

It was very strange seeing Momo outside of Halloweentown, but it admittedly felt nice having a civil conversation with her where Nayeon was the most comfortable. 

 

She plopped onto her bed, getting comfortable under the sheets to head to sleep when she noticed her room door was open. Weird, she thought. She could have sworn she closed it earlier when she came in. 

 

Nayeon scanned the room and flicked her wrist, shutting the door without having to get back up. Very rarely, her powers made an appearance whenever she felt lazy. She picked up her witches’ glass from her nightstand and dialed Juyeon. 

 

He picked up on the first ring. “You’ve got some explaining to do.” She blurted out before he could greet her.

 

“And hello to you too, sis! I assume you ran into Momo.” 

 

“Did Jimin tell you?”

 

“Momo did, actually.” 

 

“Why didn’t you tell me she was working for you at the engagement party?”

 

Nayeon could see Juyeon shrug, slightly out of view in the witches’ glass. “Didn’t seem like the right time.”

 

“And Aeri Uchinaga? How does Minji feel about that?”

 

Juyeon came back into Nayeon’s view, brows furrowed. “Minji? What does this have to do with her?” 

 

Nayeon pursed her lips, suddenly aware of her words. She needed to come up with an excuse. “Oh, I mean—“ she waved her hand around distractedly. “She’s always wanted to work with you!” She resisted giving herself a facepalm right then and there.

 

“No, I mean—“ the confusion on Juyeon’s face deepened. “She does work with me. Hasn’t she told you anything?”

 

What. 

 

Now it was Nayeon’s turn to be perplexed. Juyeon continued to explain. “She works closely with Momo and Aeri.” This just furthered her confusion. Nothing was making any sense. Was she remembering past events incorrectly? Or could her cousin and Aeri have buried the hatchet over the years? 

 

Wow. Nayeon had clearly missed out on a lot in Halloweentown. 

 

She hung up on Juyeon after a few minutes and laid still in her bed, pondering. 

 

Her visit back to Halloweentown had opened a can of worms she had tightly squeezed closed over and over again, hoping it would never explode. But lo and behold, even Nayeon wasn’t that surprised. 

 

Maybe deep down she had even longed for the days of her past when Halloweentown was her happy place. Longed for the days when she could feel her heart pumping with every emotion between exhilaration and happiness and love. 

 

Nayeon felt the foot of the bed dip and she glanced over to see Jimin, a hesitant air around her. The two sat in silence before Jimin ultimately broke it. “Juyeon probably told you everything already. I’m sorry that I didn’t mention it earlier.” 

 

She sighed, grabbing her sister’s hand and caving in already. “It’s Halloweentown business. Nothing that would hold my interest anyway.” Nayeon lied straight through her teeth. “And you knew that! So, it’s fine. You don’t have to be sorry.” 

 

“But it—“

 

It doesn’t matter, Jimin.” Nayeon insisted, her voice in danger of wavering, because it did matter. Any trace of a Sinister sister always had her head spinning. The younger girl kept shut and simply nodded, definitely knowing it was best to just drop it. 

 

Jimin decides to change the subject. “I thought Minjeong would ask a bunch of questions, but she acted completely normal.” She sprawls next to Nayeon, getting comfortable as if it was her own bed. 

 

Nayeon stares up at the ceiling with her hands behind her head. “The fact that she acted completely normal makes her not normal.”

 

Jimin groans. “That’s what I thought too!”

 

~~

 

Once upon a time, Nayeon and Momo were as thick as thieves. Not many people knew of their friendship. The Im’s and Sinister’s had to keep up the image of rivalry between them when in reality, the two families were more allies than foes. 

 

Every summer as teens, whenever Nayeon came to town to stay with her grandma, she teamed up with Momo to wreak havoc around the neighborhood. This was back when crushes weren’t even a thought in her head. All she wanted to do was have some fun with a friend. 

 

In hindsight, Nayeon thinks Momo was her best relationship out of the sisters, only because it never turned romantic. The two were always just in their own world together and Nayeon was more than fine with that.

 

Momo seemed to have strayed a lot more than her sisters, who Nayeon rarely saw around because they never spent time at the Sinister’s estate. It would only cause drama if they were seen in public together by nosy civilians creeping around the gated mansion. 

 

Then one day, all the fun stopped. Momo stopped coming around and Nayeon was left wondering if the girl’s father had found out about their little escapades. Surely, he would oppose to Momo acting so rebellious. 

 

So it came as a shock when the Im family was presented with a cordial invitation to a dinner at the Sinister’s. Nayeon kept shut, not offering any answers to her family’s confusion. Nervousness was an understatement. 

 

Nayeon and Momo were in their late teens now, at the age where they knew right from wrong and still chose wrong. 

 

Throughout the dinner, Nayeon listened to their families chatter about business and the history of Halloweentown, which she immediately tuned out. Jimin was back home in the mortal world, too young to come visit without their mother, same with Juyeon. She recalls Minji being there instead with her. 

 

Her cousin went to school with the Sinister sisters, so she knew them well. Nayeon hoped that would alleviate some of the awkward tension surrounding the young girls at the dinner table. 

 

It didn’t. 

 

Nayeon remembers, has this very moment etched into every corner of her mind, playing on constant repeat at the most inopportune times. The moment her drink collided with Mina Sinister, splattering all over the girl’s elegant white dress. 

 

Out of the corner of Nayeon’s eye, she could actually see Momo hold back a laugh. The crinkle in her cheeks as her hand hid , Nayeon would recognize that look anywhere. 

 

Other than that, the silence was deafening. Nayeon’s apologies died on her lips the moment she locked eyes with Mina’s killer glare. Without a word, the Sinister promptly got up from her seat and rushed to the powder room. 

 

Minji leans over to whisper in Nayeon’s ear. “You better go help her.” And with great hesitancy, she went after Mina with heavy steps. 

 

Total conversations alone with The Mina Sinister came down to a whopping zero for Im Nayeon. She was the more elusive one, quiet and mysterious unlike her extroverted sisters. To be honest, Nayeon was extremely intimidated. 

 

She sees Mina at the sink, dabbing at her dress with a wet towel. It was obvious that it wasn’t helping. Nayeon lingered by the entrance, not knowing if Mina’s noticed her presence. 

 

“Standing there like a fool and you haven’t even offered an apology.” Mina spat out in her quiet, venomous voice. Nayeon’s eyes went wide and she swears her blood ran cold. Her hands settled on the doorknob behind her. If this went downhill, she had easy access to make a run for it. 

 

“M-My apologies.” She managed to stutter out nonetheless. “D-Do you need any help?” It was stupid to even ask, realizing how hostile Mina’s demeanor was from the second she joined her in the bathroom. 

 

But Mina stayed silent, scrubbing at her dress with controlled frustration. Nayeon wanted nothing more than to just flee the scene. 

 

Before she could do anything else though, the bathroom door swung open, sending Nayeon tumbling backwards into the arms of Sana Sinister. 

 

Sana Sinister. The most popular of the infamous sisters, the equivalent of a princess. Everyone in Halloweentown knew her. They gawked at her whenever she walked by, fawned over her whenever she was brought up in conversation. Nayeon was pretty much in the presence of royalty. 

 

“Falling for me already, Nayeon?” Sana teased, her strong grip placing her upright after a short moment of just holding her. 

 

“Leave the girl alone, Sana. Not everyone is trying to flirt with you.” Nayeon hears Mina say. The other Sinister sister seemed to have given up on mortal efforts and zapped her stain away with a spell. Nayeon wonders why Mina didn’t just do that from the start. 

 

And like every other Halloweentown citizen, Nayeon speechlessly stared at Sana the entire exchange. She gave Nayeon a wink and joined her sister at the sink to wash her hands.

 

“Maybe was flirting with her.” Sana loudly whispered to her sister, sending another flirtatious look over her shoulder. Nayeon squeaked and rushed to close the bathroom door to finally make her escape. 

 

~~

 

Thinking about those times, life back then felt like an entire lifetime ago. Nayeon wasn’t a high schooler in Halloweentown anymore, she was in her mid 20’s trying to navigate adulthood in the mortal world. 

 

Nayeon had to constantly remind herself that she was here for the best, to escape the pressures that the magic world had on her, the stress of being the next head witch in the Im family line. 

 

Getting involved with the Sinister sisters was her greatest mistake of all.

 

Car horns jolted her out of her reverie. She was keeping up traffic in the intersection. Nayeon rolled her eyes and stepped on the gas pedal. If only she hadn’t left her broomstick with Minji, maybe she would indulge a little bit in that. 

 

As the days turned into weeks, Nayeon found her life reverting back to the usual. Or so she thought. Finding Minji in her room on a random weeknight was somewhat of a surprise. And by somewhat, she means very unexpected. 

 

“What, I can’t come visit my favorite cousins?” She was perched on top of Nayeon’s desk.

 

“Minji, we are your only cousins.” The older girl waved her hand dismissively at Nayeon’s remark. “Besides, a little heads up would have been nice.” 

 

She rushed around her room, picking up stray pieces of clothing and tossing them into her closet to make the place look presentable. It was only ever her and Jimin at home these days, so it had gotten a little messy. 

 

“Where’s Jimin?” 

 

“Out with her girlfriend.”

 

“And where were you before this?” 

 

Nayeon narrowed her eyes at Minji, a mixture of curiosity and suspicion bubbling within her. She deduced that her cousin was clearly here for a reason. “Cut to the chase. Why are you here?” 

 

“I’ve got a request for you.” 

 

“I make one journey back to Halloweentown and suddenly it’s unavoidable.” Nayeon threw her hands up. “Whatever it is, I’m sure Jimin will be of better help. Ask her.”

 

Minji frowned. “You haven’t even heard what I was going to ask.” Nayeon crossed her arms, waiting expectantly. “I was going to ask for your help on destroying the barrier between the mortal world and Halloweentown.” 

 

The air around them turned eerily thick. There was something off about the way her cousin was acting, speaking so nonchalantly about this, but Nayeon couldn’t pinpoint what. One thing was for sure, though, this idea of hers was not it.

 

“That’s an ambitious move. Why would you want to do that?” Nayeon tried to keep steady, but the panic rising through her had other plans. This didn’t seem right at all. 

 

“C’mon, Nayeon. I thought you of all people would understand why.” Minji stood up, slowly walking around the room with her hands clasped behind her back. “You wouldn’t have to be attached to Halloweentown anymore.” 

 

“Sure, but permanently? Seems a bit extreme.” Nayeon eyed her cousin while her back was to her. This was not normal behavior coming from the older girl, but then again, they didn’t see each other as often anymore. This could very well be Minji acting normal. 

 

Suggesting something so grand and evil like the demise of the barrier, maybe that was the new her. Nayeon had an inkling that it wasn’t though. 

 

But before she could question her cousin any further, Minji snapped her fingers and vanished into thin air.

 

Nayeon woke up later that night with no recollection of their interaction. 

 

~~

 

Oddly enough, Nayeon once again finds herself in Halloweentown (hopefully for the final time, but even she’s unsure of that), staring up at the pumpkin statue in front of city hall. 

 

She felt sudden chills run up her spine and a sense of deja vu overtaking her. 

 

“Am I imagining things, or are you really here right now?” What’s a return to Halloweentown if Nayeon isn’t asked this question every single time. 

 

Juyeon engulfed her in a hug, sliding his arm around her shoulder and walking them up the steps of city hall. “Let me give you the grand tour!” 

 

“You know I’m only here to grab Jimin’s broomstick from Minji.” 

 

“You’re not fooling me, sis.” Juyeon points his finger in her face with a sly smile. “I know it’s your broom.” Nayeon swatted his hand away, pouting.

 

He weaved them around the spacious building, giving her a tour of all the rooms after ignoring her initial protest. They reached the end of a long corridor and entered through a thick, gilded double door entryway. 

 

“This is my office! Isn’t it awesome?”

 

Nayeon’s jaw dropped in genuine awe. Just like the entryway, the interior of the wide room was lined with a gold pattern against the deep royal purple color of the walls. She walked around the circular couch in the middle of the space, making her way to the large, dark red office desk. She picks up a picture frame she recognizes. 

 

“Wow.” 

 

“Speechless, huh?” Juyeon snapped his fingers and his outfit instantly changed into clothes that matched the room. A royal purple colored suit with a gold colored tie. “Mayor of Halloweentown at your service!” Nayeon cackled at his goofy impression of a curtsy. 

 

“Well, now that I’ve seen your little mayor’s room, why don’t you direct me to Minji’s office?” 

 

Nayeon says her goodbyes there and finds herself walking down another long corridor on the opposite side of the building. Not many people are running around this part of the place, she observes. 

 

She spots the room Juyeon had described to her and stops right in front of it, hearing hushed whispers behind the closed door. But just before Nayeon could make out the number of voices, she hears footsteps coming towards her through the door.

 

Losing all thought, she chooses to scurry around the corner instead of whispering an invisibility spell. It surprises her who emerges out from behind the closed door. 

 

Mina Sinister. 

 

Nayeon curses under her breath, immediately plastering herself against the wall, hoping that the other girl would not see her. It proved to be very unsuccessful.

 

“What are you doing here?” Her voice was void of emotion, but Nayeon caught the momentary sparkle of surprise in Mina’s eyes. Her behavior seemed slightly off, flighty. Nayeon wonders what that is all about…

 

“I came here to grab something from Minji.” Mina raised an eyebrow at that. “For my sister.” Nayeon finished dumbly. “And you? What business do you have in city hall?” 

 

The question managed to struck Mina and throw off her pokerface. “Also to grab something from your cousin. For my sister.” There was an edge to Mina’s voice.

 

Mina’s answer made enough sense for Nayeon to not question it any further. Whichever sister she was referring to, she really didn’t care to know, she told herself. (She did care.)

 

Without another word uttered from Mina, she stepped around Nayeon and made her way down the hall. 

 

Nayeon’s gaze followed her disappearing figure, stuck between chasing after her and running the opposite way. She took a deep breath and chose the latter, straight into Minji’s office. 

 

~~

 

Nayeon doesn’t think much about it. Doesn’t think at all about the way Mina looked heavenly as always, doesn’t think about the way that she is still hopelessly and utterly drawn to the witch.