apocalypse

one more second

Another explosion can be heard from the distance, another volcano has erupted. The earth beneath her feet is shaking violently, threatening to collapse and swallowing them alive. 

“Bora, we need to go faster!” Bora’s two friends running ahead of her.

Bora tries to catch up with her friends, stumbling on fallen concrete while she looks over her shoulder. Squinting her eyes to look past the yellow dust and the wreckage, she waits for her best friend to appear.

While they were on the run earlier, they ran past Minji’s family house—or what appeared to be the remains of it. Minji told them to go ahead and that she would come running after them in 5 minutes, but they’ve been running for 10 minutes now and Minji is nowhere to be seen.

The explosions are getting louder, and the dread in her heart grows as the thought of the worst comes across her mind. She turns again to see if her best friend will suddenly emerge, but no, there are only ruins and wreckage, nothing else. Bora stops in her tracks, making the decision in her head. 

She can't go on. Not without Minji. Not without knowing Minji is all alone. 

Bora looks up and her friends are looking at her in bewilderment, "Bora?"

"I'm going to get Minji, you guys go first!"

"Bora, there isn't enough time for that..."

"Just go ahead!" Her words are firm, she leaves no room for arguments. 

Understanding just how much Minji means to Bora, her friends nod in defeat. "Be safe, okay?"

The corner of Bora's mouth curls upward, smiling wistfully, "We'll meet you at the bunker," Bora promises, but they all know she wouldn't be able to keep that promise.   

They give her one last goodbye before sprinting forward, away from the destruction and Bora hopes they make it to the bunker safely.

She turns around and tightens the mask on her face before running as fast as she possibly could. Her legs are burning with every step. It hurts, but she can't help it. She needs to find Minji.

The ground shakes more intensely than ever. The whole world seems to shake around her. Her breathing against the mask becomes harder, she can hear every beat of her heart hammering against her chest. She picks up her pace, ignoring the debris falling around her.

"Minji! Minji!" she calls out for her best friend while running. Despite the violent storm blurring her sight, she can see a figure kneeling on the ground from the distance. She speeds up even more. 

She reaches Minji and sees three bodies lying haphazardly amidst the rubble. Their face had melted beyond recognition but she knows– knew all of them. It's Minji's family.

"Minji..." Bora drops down onto her knees next to her. 

Minji looks at her with bloodshot eyes, and a tear-streaked face. "Bora, they didn't make it-- I thought, I thought--" Minji sobs brokenly into Bora’s arms.

It breaks Bora to see Minji like this, in so much pain and agony.

"Minji, I'm sorry," Bora soothes, reaching out to touch her back softly. 

Bora pulls her in, hugging her tightly, letting Minji buries her face into the crook of Bora's neck.

This is just like when they were younger. They used to do this whenever one of them had nightmares. They’ve always been each other’s solace, comfort, and support.

Bora pulls away and holds Minji firmly by the shoulders. "Look at me," Bora says sternly. 

Minji slowly drags her tear-filled eyes up to meet Bora's. 

"We need to go now, there's no time," Bora tells her.

Minji shakes her head, "I'm not going, Bora, I'm not going to leave them again," Minji says quietly, her grip loosening on Bora's arms.

"Please, Minji," Bora begs. 

There’s a long moment of silence between them. Bora knows how much Minji loves her family, but they can’t afford this right now, their lives are at stake. 

"I'm sorry," Minji says defeatedly. "You should go now." 

"Not without you, Minji." I can't imagine a world without you. 

"I can't leave them again..." 

"And I can't leave you again," Bora adds gently, taking Minji’s hands in hers, and linking them together. 

A sob escapes Minji and she breaks down into tears again. She rests her forehead against Bora’s shoulder, "I'm sorry."

Bora wraps her arms around Minji again, "It's okay, I'll stay here with you," she whispers, trying to comfort her best friend. 

A thunderous boom startles them both and reality hits Bora. The end is here and it's very terrifying. "Minji, I'm scared," she admits, trembling in Minji's arms. 

Minji looks at the dark cloud looming over them, "Do you trust me?"

Bora nods and Minji kisses the top of her head lightly, "Close your eyes." Bora takes in a breath before following her lead. "Whatever happens, don't open your eyes." 

Bora closes her eyes and hears Minji taking her own deep breath. Seconds later she hears Minji taking off her mask, and then feeling the mask being taken off of her head.

"Minji, what are you doi--" before she can finish her sentence; before the poisonous air can even enters her lungs, she feels Minji leaning forward, pressing her chapped lips against Bora's, silencing her, comforting her.

Everything around them disappears and it's just them; just Minji and Bora. Everything is quiet, everything is dark except for their lips moving together, kissing, tasting. A kiss with so much emotion behind it. Bora feels tears run down her cheeks because of the intensity of it, but still, she smiles into the kiss, her hand moving to cup Minji's cheek, cupping her face tenderly.  Telling each other what couldn't be said, and what should've been said earlier—much much earlier. Before the world decided the destruction human created was too much to bear and has to be put to an end; it's the apocalypse and no one can save them anymore. 

What a shame their first kiss would also be their last. 

If only there was one more second, she would pull away and tell Minji she loves her—has been loving her since the day Minji appeared at the academy.

If only there was one more second, she would tell Minji how she plans on loving her forever.

If only there was one more second, she would tell Minji she's sorry for all the time she wasted. 

If only there was one more second, she would tell Minji that kissing her is the perfect way to die and she wouldn't want any other way. 

She only needs one more second.

Just one more second.

But then a deafening blast erupted behind them and the world went silent.