You Better Keep This a Secret.

My Mum is a Vampire

“I have a secret to tell you.” Four heads perk up from their already forgotten sandwiches. Not letting the chance of hearing a secret pass them by, they are the curious type after all- circling around their friend in pigtails and yellow shirt.

 

“It won’t be a secret anymore tho.” Yeri, the bright-eyed little troublemaker, tilts her head in question and watches how realisation sparks to life in Seulgi’s eyes.

 

“Oh you’re right… I won’t be keeping my promise then...” Seulgi pouts. Stuck between telling her friends and keeping a very top secret a secret.

 

“But now everyone’s curious. You can’t just leave us hanging like that.” Joy, the lanky looking girl who inherited her lankiness from one of her parents, throws her hands in the air clearly disapproving of the cliff-hanger that she is presented with. She’s already seventy-five percent invested into whatever Seulgi is about to tell them.

 

“But you’re standing…” This time it’s Seulgi who tilts her head to the side, confusion clearly written in her face. She is definitely sure that none of her friends are hanging off of something.

 

“That's what we call a cliff-hanger sluggy.” Wendy, the closeted savage, quips in and watches Seulgi tilt her head to the other side as if tilting her head would help her understand how they could hang a cliff like how one would hang clothes on the washing line.

 

“But we’re inside my house-“

 

“Okay, guys, focus. We’re starting to get lost.” This time it’s Irene, the group’s remaining two braincells, who tries to bring everyone back to the important matter at hand; the secret.

 

“But we’re still in the living room-“

 

“Focus.” Irene tries again.

 

“Focus on what?” Seulgi’s head tilts further off of her neck.

 

“SHhHhH.” Again, Irene tries. She really is trying hard.

 

“We’re getting nowhere here.” Even Wendy can see that it’s a hopeless case. She’s given up five minutes ago trying to be the group’s functioning braincells. She doesn’t want to lose anymore in the five years of life.

 

“That’s because we’re not moving.” Yeri snickers and high-fives with Joy, beating Seulgi to the punch line.

 

“Kim Yeri I swear-“ Irene on the other hand is getting tired of this endless cycle and just wants to find out the important secret she might not be able to know if they are still going in circles.

 

“Auntie~ Irene unnie’s swearing!” Joy cackles as she cups her hands in front of and yells for their Aunt’s attention in mockery. Irene stands and stomps her way to Joy who’s more than happy to egg her on.

 

“Joy stop or I’ll-“

 

“Kick my knees?” She stares down into Irene’s furious eyes, asserting her dominance to the challenger- despite only being three centimetres taller than her.

 

“That’s it!” Irene seethes before she’s lunging to grab Joy’s collar and proceeds to throw her to the ground. Yeri cheers as she watches the two struggling with each other. Seulgi watches half worried for her friends, quietly supporting her unnie taking on the difficult task of taking down the giant.

 

“GUYS stop!” Wendy, the only sensible person in the room at this moment, untangling the two on the floor and uses her body as a makeshift wall to separate David and Goliath. “Seulgi’s got something to say remember?” That somehow calms whatever high they were all on and sits back to their original spots.

 

“Thank you Wannie-“ Irene flashes Wendy a grateful smile before getting interrupted again.

 

“But we’re girls tho?” Seulgi watches all the girls groan in frustration as they can’t move on from whatever cycle they’re on. At this point Seulgi is enjoying pulling on her friends’ leg and laughs at how they’ve aged ten years in ten seconds. Her friends, however, don’t share the same feeling.

--

 

 

“My mum’s a vampire.” Seulgi speaks out into the quiet table, eyes void of the usual playful spark that she is usually known for. They sit in silence, unblinking. There’s an occasional shuffle and a subtle gulp but nobody moves as much as an inch, the food on their plate long forgotten.

 

Wendy blinks away the stupor that she was in and drawls, “Stop lying ddeulgi.” Half chewed pieces of bread still in - at any other time she might have been scolded by her unnie for talking with full, but said unnie is still in rebooting mode to do anything.

 

“I’m not! “

 

“I don’t think she’s lying. She can’t lie.” Joy eyes Seulgi from the corner of her eyes before turning back to the rest, unsure. The words coming out of her friend’s mouth conflicting with Seulgi’s lack of skill in deception.

 

“Cross my heart and hope to die, I’m not!” Seulgi abruptly stands on the chair she’s occupying and draws an X over her chest, earning horrified gasps around the table.

 

“She used the dangerous cross my heart. She must be legit.” This was the most sacred and Taboo oath in their life. Just the thought of putting your life on the line for the sake of others believing you brought a shiver that wracked through the whole of Joy’s body. She had never had to use it before, and she hopes she never has to.

 

“Legit?” Irene tilts her head over to joy, no doubt questioning the meaning of the word.

 

“What’s that?” Seulgi and the rest also mimick the older’s action as their focus strays away to Joy scratching her chin as she thinks of how to explain the meaning of the word to her plebeian friends.

 

“I dunno mummy Hyoyeon always says it when things are actually serious.” Joy shrugs in the end. She only knows what the word implies; being a walking dictionary is not part of her job description. The symphony of Ohhhs did mean that she did a good job in translating adult lingo.

 

“Who’s being legit?” They jump and simultaneously turn toward the only parental figure in the house, looking like they had been caught having a secret meeting.

 

“Auntie Yoong!”

 

“Mummy!”

 

“What are you girls gossiping about hmm?” The smile on her face does nothing to show how amused she is watching the kids play out that video of those cats caught on a meeting.

 

“Nothing interesting!”

 

“Hmm?” Though the smile their aunt flashed their way was nothing but innocent, they couldn’t help but feel like they had done something criminal.

 

“We were just talking about how we always hear Sluggy’s stomach rumbling.” Joy pipes out of nowhere, missing the dirtiest stink eye Seulgi could throw her way for pushing, no, yeeting her under the bus.

 

“Speaking about stomachs, who’s hungry for freshly baked cookies?!” Five heads perk up and excited turn towards her at the mention of cookies. Now that they think about it, they can smell the sugary scent wafting from the kitchen into the dining room.

 

“ME!” They their hands into the air. Each trying to shove their hand higher than the person next to them, thinking that the highest hand would be the first to eat the desert

 

“They’re fresh out of the oven so they’re legitly good!” Yoona calls out as the children rush to the kitchen.

 

Joy halts mid-step and turns back to her aunt, asking one final question. “Legit?”

 

“Legit.” Yoona sends her a wink and watches as Joy squeals on the spot. Her eyes turning into crescents as her cheeks rise to her cheekbones showing her incredibly cute gummy smile. Yoona coos at the sheer happiness that the child is experiencing over baked goodies and couldn’t help herself but squeeze the little one’s cheek. She urges her to where the others are already drooling at the kitchen counter and decides to save the memory into her phone. Adding one more precious memory wouldn’t hurt.

--

 

 

“But how can aunty Yoong be a vampire? She’s literally an angel!” Bits of half-chewed cookie fly out of Wendy’s mouth, grossing Seulgi out who made the wrong choice of sitting in front of her- and she thought she was the gross one for chewing with open.

 

“No! Aunty Yoong is a Goddess! Even mummy Sunny says so!” Seulgi watches cookie crumbs litter the living room table and carpet- kicking herself for suggesting to eat in front of the tv, now she has to clean all this mess up with her mum.

 

“Aren’t vampires supposed to be scary?” Joy lazily waves the cookie around, unaware that she herself was adding on to the growing pile of crumbs on the table.

 

“Who’s scary?”

 

“WAHHHH!”

 

“Aunty! You scared us! How long have you been standing there?” Resting her small hand on top of her heart to calm her thundering heart, Irene looks up to her aunt with her lopsided smile that didn’t quite reach her eyes.

 

“Hmm no too long.” Yoona shrugs and flashes them a coy smile that somehow puts the little ones on edge before walking back to the kitchen with the tray of leftover cookies in hand. “Seulgi, honey, can you help me pack the cookies away.”

 

Seulgi hops onto her feet enthusiastically, eager to sneak in one more cookie before bedtime. “Coming!”

 

“How did she sneak up on us?!” Wendy wildly whispers. Her eyes frantically sweeping left to right alarmingly aware of how close they were getting caught talking conspiracy theories about their aunt.

 

“There’s no way someone could have been that quiet.” Yoona chuckles at that. These kids had no idea how sneaky a prankster could be. She didn’t need to sneak her way in anyway, they’re just plain loud and unaware of their surroundings.

 

“What if she actually is a vampire?!” She gestures at Seulgi to keep quiet and to listen to the conversation playing out in the living room. Their grins matching as they abandon their original task.

 

“But auntie Yoong is too nice to be a vampire. She let us eat cookies with ice cream! Before bedtime! No monster would be that nice!” Yoona raises her glass of red wine to that, her lips curling upwards to a wide grin.

 

Oh, she can’t wait to tell her wife how much the kids love her and her cookies.

 

“We have to make sure that auntie Yoong won’t our blood tonight.” Still grinning, Yoona turns to Seulgi with an eyebrow quirked up. The gleam shining in her mum’s eyes excites Seulgi. A prank was in the making and she’s going to help pull it off. She is the daughter of a prankster and a vampire, after all.

 

“Agreed. But how?”

 

“Vampires are technically dead right? So wouldn’t she be cold to touch?”

 

Bingo.

 

Yoona turns to her daughter waiting for her to catch on to the important piece of information. And when she did, the smile on her face is almost splitting. Yoona raises her glass to Seulgi as a toast to the commencement of their prank, and Seulgi meets her in the middle with her cookie.

 

“So she’s like a zombie?”

 

“Ew. Gross.”

 

“Auntie Yoong would be a really pretty zombie if she was.”

 

“A brain eating zombie covered in blood.”

 

“Guys stop. You’re making Irene unnie sick.”

 

The plan was simple. Go in. Grab their aunt’s hand to see if it’s cold or not, and they’re done. Simple.

 

But they forgot to plan for one thing. What if the hand was cold?

 

They stand agape, slowly backing away from Yoona watching them in amusement, as if one wrong move could trigger their aunt’s bloodlust. A glass of something red rests forgotten on the countertop as Yoona walks towards the cowering children clutching each other- Joy had snatched Seulgi from her mum’s side and hurriedly tucked into their huddle. Their lips quiver in silent fear, an agonising death playing out in their little heads.

 

Except for Seulgi, she’s shaking all over trying to not break character.

 

“Yoona what are you doing scaring these poor kids?” As if the heavens above felt their terror, they sent them their saviour and guardian angel in the form of Seulgi’s other parent.

 

“Umma!”

 

“Auntie Yulllllllllllll”

 

Five small pairs of feet stampede towards the tanned woman who’s already spread her arms wide open, bracing herself for the incoming impact of five bodies barrelling straight towards her.

 

Seulgi’s sprinting ahead just because she’s excited to see her mother. While the rest only wanted to be wrapped in their aunt’s safe embrace far away from the so-called vampire now resting her hip on the backrest of the living room sofa. A wide grin plastered on her once mischievous face as she sees the adorable sight of five pocket-sized humans trying to fit into her wife’s embrace.

 

“Welcome home hon,” Yoona makes her way to her wife as she straightens herself from the children clinging onto her waist and legs. Yoona doesn’t miss the way four pairs of eyes watch her wearily, hackles raised as she steps closer to them. There’s one sure way to get rid of their watchful gaze.

 

“EWWW” Their protests of disgust echo around the living room as she presses herself to her wife to lengthen the kiss. They break apart only to see the kids fake gagging and noses scrunched to show nothing but repulse for their blatant show of affection.

 

“Lemme kiss you more then!” Yoona barks out as she sweeps Yuri off of her feet, earning a small Eep! before settling and accept the kisses peppering her face, the smile on Yoona’s face contagious.

 

“You’re as gross as my parents!” Yeri screams as she hides behind Irene, her face buried into her sister’s back.

 

“My eyes!” Wendy comically slaps her hands over her eyes.

 

“Let’s go guys!” Joy beckons and drags an unaffected Seulgi away from the giant lovebirds making a scene in the living room.

---

 

 

“I can’t believe auntie Yoong is a vampire!”

 

“Yeah I never would have expected-“ Giggles burst out from the circle. Her cheeks bunching up as her smile widen, eyes forming into crescents as her fits of giggles increase to an uproar.

 

“What’s so funny?”

 

“Mummy Yoona’s not a vampire!” A pause. “Eomma Yul is.”

 

“WHAT?!”

 

“And I’ll your blood if you guys don’t go to sleep.” Everyone except one smiling bear squeak in terror, both of their aunts watching them with their arms crossed looking as stern as their non-vampire parents. “Off to bed kiddies.”

 

Yoona strides past Yuri and immediately tucks in each little girl with a softness that only shows up whenever she’s with her little girl or whenever Seulgi’s friends sleepover. Yuri softly chuckles as she watches how each little girl has their own secret hand shake with Yoona- she’s always been so good with kids, it’s no surprise since she’s a big kid herself.

 

Yuri then steps into the room and immediately notices every girl beside her daughter tense in response. She lets out a small giggle before plopping herself on the edge of Seulgi’s bed.

 

“Aunty Yul?” Yuri let’s out a soft hum of acknowledgement as she turns her attention to little Irene. Her big doe eyes shyly peeking over the stuffed bunny tightly held in her arms. “You’re not a vampire are you?” Yuri’s eyes sparkle as she sees four highly interested eyes peering over their own stuffed toys (Little Seulgi was already struggling to keep her eyes open) before bringing her thumb and index finger to her chin, as if deep in thought.

 

“Me? Hmm.” Yuri leans closer trying to smuggle the grin that was threatening to show as she hears the little ones gulp- with either excitement or nervousness, she doesn’t know.

 

“Only if you can keep a secret.” She winks as she raises her pinky finger urging them to link theirs with hers. Knowing full well that she’s got their undivided attention- or well for as long as 5 year olds can hold that attention. They bounce off of the bed onto their knees. Their small pinkies intertwining with Yuri’s slender one. One by one they lean in to hear Yuri’s whispered answer.

 

“I am a vampire.” Their eager faces mixing with panic as she curls her pinky tighter locking all of their fingers into hers so that they couldn’t easily slip away from her grasp. Although she would have loved to tease the frightened kids til tears run down her face from laughing, her motherly instincts couldn’t bear to torture the little one’s anymore seeing as little Yeri had tears welling in her eyes.

 

“Aww. Shh don’t cry.” Yuri gently coos as she gathers Yeri into her arms. A motherly gentleness replaces her mischievous character as she swipes away a lonesome tear slowly sliding down Yeri’s chubby cheek.

 

“You don’t have to be afraid.” Yuri softly whispers as she tucks Yeri back into bed and makes sure that the rest of the girls have calmed down from their little panic attack and back into a peaceful state. “I’m a good vampire.”

 

“I’ll always protect you cuties.” Yuri smiles, eyes soft with a fondness that is only specifically for her ‘children’.

 

“Promise.” She whispers. Bending down to place a goodnight kiss on each of the children’s forehead, nuzzling her nose with Seulgi’s before drawing back to where Yoona is waiting at the foot of the bed.

 

“Ok, nighty night kids. Time to go to bed so that you’ll grow tall like auntie Sooyoung.” Yoona slowly closes the door, taking one last peek at the children finally falling asleep.

 

“I can finally have you all for myself.” Yoona turns to Yuri, her eyes curving to small crescents and signature lopsided grin plastered on her face.

 

“Yoona!” However Yoona was merely met with a slap on her upper arm and a muffled EEWWWW from the other side of the door.

 

“Oh hush!” Yoona sticks out her tongue as she pokes her head back into the room, later retaliated by the children.

---

 

 

“I told you my mum’s a vampire.” Seulgi grins smugly as she snuggles further into the covers.

 

“I can’t believe aunty Yul’s a vampire.” Wendy’s eyes light up as she sits up, still bewildered with the turn of events. She was positive that her paler aunt was the secret vampire.

 

“But a good vampire who protect girls like me.” Joy brushes her hair over her shoulder with a dramatic flair that only a Sooyoung could possess. Until a pillow was intentionally swung into the said pretty girl’s face by someone whose sole purpose was to mess with her in every little way that she can.

 

“Ow, Yeri you’re hurting my face!” Joy ducks as another violently swung pillow merely misses her precious face.

 

“At least aunty Yul will only have to protect four cute girls now.” Yeri cackles. Taunting the older to battle her in a pillow fight to the death with a come hither motion.

 

“YAH” Joy arms herself with her own pillow and heads into battle swinging.

 

“There’s still no way aunty could be a vampire. She’s too warm to be a vampire.” Disbelief still thick in Irene’s voice, remembering how warm she always feels in her aunt’s presence.

 

“Yeah vampires are supposed to be cold hearted! She’s ddeulgi’s mum for Christ sake. That already says more than enough.” Wendy points at Seulgi’s way, a small teasing smile plastered on her face.

 

“Hey!” Seulgi rises from her sleeping position. Indignant with herself for not being able to say anything else as the rest of her friends just giggle at her expense.

 

“Goodnight children.”  The five children squeak in surprise before tucking themselves into bed in a fluster of sheets. Startled like rabbits into hiding as they are caught misbehaving by their aunts- even though they had been talking very quietly.

 

They weren’t.

 

“Goodnight aunties!” Yoona and Yuri giggle to themselves and decide to stay quiet in front of their daughter’s door just in case the little troublemakers decide to make a fuss again.

 

“I’m glad we only have Seulgi.” Yuri sighs as she leans onto Yoona’s shoulder who hums in approval, before leading them both towards the kitchen.

 

“But with sleep overs like this it feels like we suddenly adopted four more!” Yoona exclaims while pouring Yuri a glass of red wine, there’s a smile plastered on her face that shows she doesn’t mind the extra trouble at all. Yuri gladly takes the glass from Yoona, a smile mirroring her wife’s gracing her face.

 

“Next time it’s dandyu’s turn to look after the kids.” Yuri sips from her glass, easing more into her seat as she savours the smoothness of the wine. Yoona merely watches her wife, a small glint in her eyes saying that she has something mischievous brewing in her mind.

 

“You just can’t wait to have me all for yourself, can’t you?” Yoona waggles her eyebrows while Yuri merely rolls her eyes behind the glass of wine that she’s sipping on.

 

“I’d rather want you out of the house as well.” Yoona complains through whining and puppy eyes that Yuri doesn’t bother to notice. She’s too invested on skolling down the rest of her drink in one go.  Yoona doesn’t let that action go unnoticed.

 

“Oh that’s not good...” With quick strides Yoona is behind her weary wife massaging the knots that had formed on her shoulders from a long day’s work hunched over a table. “How was work?”

 

“Interacting with people always tires me out.” Yuri sighs at how she can’t help but feel on edge around others whenever she has to leave the safety of her house.

 

“Plus being the CEO’s wife and acting as the boss always has its… implications.” She submissively shrugs before finally letting go of the burden on her shoulders for the night. Purring as Yoona’s magical hands work their wonders on her tense muscles.

 

No. Don’t be.” Yuri sharply interjects the apology that was on the verge of slipping out of her wife’s parted mouth. Years and years of living and breathing with Yoona has helped her learn how to read the other’s mood through miniscule actions often missed by others. This time it was the slowing of Yoona’s hands and the soft sharp intake that alerted Yuri of what was to come next.

 

“You needed a break from work anyway.” Yuri’s reaches for the hands kneading her shoulders and gives them a soft squeeze. Slowly, she pulls their hands forward to pull Yoona closer to her, wrapping Yoona’s arms around her shoulders. Her own placed on top of her wife’s as she leans back rest her head on the crook of Yoona’s shoulder. Yoona just smiles and hugs her tired wife a little tighter, hoping that the warmth of her body could melt all the fatigue away.

 

“After all, it’s been a while since I went to work. People might think that we got divorced or something and hit on you.” Yuri glowers, earning a small giggle from Yoona. Yuri’s always so adorable whenever she gets a bit possessive of her. A rarity, since Yuri hardly gets jealous.

 

“Come on Miss Vampire. Let’s go to bed.” Yoona unwraps herself from Yuri’s shoulder and pulls her towards their bedroom. She chuckles as she looks back at Yuri sluggishly walking behind her, urgently tugging her tired wife away from the doorframe that was about to crash onto her forehead.

 

Yoona has known about her wife’s dislike of stepping outside the house. Yuri had always loved the outdoors years ago. But more than a few unfortunate events occurring around her had forced them to seek the safety of their home- her wife being the most affected out of them. So she opted working from home and became a stay at home parent while Yoona became widely known as the CEO of their company- despite being co-CEOs. Yuri’s reluctance of stepping out into the outside world did not completely leave her incapable of going to work in Yoona’s stead whenever her partner became too overworked or was away on overseas business meetings.

 

She also didn’t mind spending time with her family and friends in various locations around the city. She didn’t want her little Seulgi to become unaccustomed to the outside world after all.

 

Although Yoona knows that Yuri is more than capable of looking after herself wherever she is, there is still a small constant feeling of unease that she always has to push to the back of her head. All she can do is to have faith on her wife that she come home into her arms by the end of the day.

 

“Hey Yul.” Yoona calls out to Yuri changing into her nightwear in their walk in closet. She gets a soft hum in return as she hears the rustle of clothes sliding over Yuri’s head.

 

“Let’s go on a date next week.” She eyes Yuri as she finally steps out of the closet and walks to her side of the bed. Her eyes catching on to tanned skin of Yuri’s stomach as she buttons up the remaining buttons of her pyjamas.

 

“Sure. I’ve finished off the bulk of my paper work and sorted out the left over work that you left for me.” Yuri snuggles under the covers and glares at Yoona as she mentions the last few phone calls and signed partnership that she knew Yoona had left for the very last minute. Which is proven by the look Yoona is not trying to hide.

 

“Oops, busted.” Yoona chuckles, scooting closer to Yuri who couldn't help but to scoff and roll her eyes.

 

“I can’t stand you Im.”

 

“Well good thing we’re both in bed.”

 

“Ugh so that’s where Joy and Yeri get all the crackheadedness from.”

 

“Hey! SooHyo are worse than me.”

 

“HA! You do admit it!” Yuri smiles with glee knowing she’s won their nonsensical debate. Yoona doesn’t bother to hide her smile as she rolls her eyes in a false pretence of annoyance.

 

“Whatever. Miss Vampire.”

 

They lie quietly in each others arms. Each just savouring each other’s presence. Enjoying the quietness that rarely comes to their busy lives. It had always been in quiet times like this where thoughts about their past, present and future mingle within their heads.

 

They both reminisce the happy times of the past, like when they first found out they would be parents to their own flesh and blood. Or when they were able to experience many of Seulgi’s firsts in her young life. They also can’t help but to look towards the future of not only for themselves, but for their only child as well. Both not wanting Seulgi to grow taller than she is now- Yoona especially.

 

“I can’t believe our little girl is growing up so quickly.” Yoona pouts into Yuri’s forehead. Just thinking about the years that had gone by leaves tiny cracks in her heart.

 

“Hmm we can’t help it.” Yuri softly smiles despite knowing that she too didn't want her little girl to grow so quickly. She snuggles deeper into Yoona’s chest while tightening her hold around Yoona, clinging onto the comfort that Yoona always brings with her presence.

 

“Nooooo. The next we know she’ll start going through a rebellious phase.” Yuri can’t help but chuckle at the thought. Seulgi going through a rebellious phase was ridiculous to begin with.

 

Her Seulgi?

 

Their little teddy bear getting into fights and detention?

 

Never in a million years would they imagine their little girl getting into trouble. Well, hopefully they’ll be able to guide Seulgi to grow into a wonderful human being and make the right decisions further down the track.

 

“Then she’s going to go to university and start living in the dorms and have a girlfriend.” Although saddened by the possibility she can’t help but imagine how proud she will be of their daughter. Yoona’s last statement halted her nodding, leaning away from Yoona’s chest to eye her confusedly- eyebrows scrunched and question marks floating around her head.

 

“… Girlfriend?” A well-manicured eyebrow lifts, watching Yoona scoff before answering.

 

Please she’s constantly surrounded by beautiful women.” Yoona tilts her nose upwards as if being surrounded by beautiful women since birth is something worth praising.

 

“Boys are nothing.” She shrugs with finality in her tone; Yuri understands her wife’s argument and chuckles into Yoona’s chest as she resumes her previous position. It would be no surprise if Seulgi did go for the other team, she does have two mothers after all.

 

“Well either way, we’ll support her no matter what decision or preference.” Yuri reaches out for Yoona’s fingers before delicately placing them on her lips. The action warming them both on the inside, a feeling that still remains after years of living together.

 

“We’re the cool mums after all.” Yoona giggles into Yuri’s crown, eliciting Yuri to giggle along as Yoona’s breath tickles the sensitive skin of her scalp.

 

“Yeah. We’ll forever be the cool ones.”

 

“Cooler than JeTi and their American pancakes that’s for sure.” Yoona huffs out with conviction. She was definitely intent on getting the coolest parent of the year award after losing out to JeTi’s floury meal last year.

 

“But until that day arrives we’ll just have to savour every day with our baby girl.” They both snuggle deeper into each other’s warmth as silence engulfs the room. Their eyelids becoming heavier as their consciousness rests on the verge of falling asleep.

 

“Goodnight love.” Yuri snuggles deeper into Yoona’s embrace, looking for the warmth that never fails to overcome the cold winter’s night.

 

 “Goodnight Miss Vampire.” Yoona whispers back as she places one final kiss on Yuri’s forehead, habitually tightening her hold on Yuri just like how she’s done every time they sleep together.

----

 

 

“Do you guys remember when Seulgi said that aunt Yul was a vampire?” Yeri whispers to no one in particular inside the dark room, eyes wide open refusing to go to sleep.

 

“She is!” Seulgi fires back. She’s been telling the truth to her friends for years and they still don’t believe her.

 

“Sluggy it’s been ten years! There’s no way vampires exist.” Yeri exclaims in disbelief, sitting up to stare wide eyed at her friend despite only seeing a dark silhouette of a person to her right. Sure, she’s the youngest out of their group but even she knows that Vampires are mythical creatures invented to spice up old people’s existence.

 

“Even if she was, wouldn’t we have been able to see her vampire traits?” Joy finger quotes on the word vampire for emphasis.

 

“Like?” Irene urges from underneath the covers. Sleep long forgotten as three out of the five occupants are now locked up in this strange debate.

 

“Like when Wendy had a crush on aunt Yul.” Joy and Yeri snicker at how Wendy’s complexion pales by the second, eyes almost popping out of its sockets as she avoids their eye contact. Her lungs briefly forgetting the breathing function naturally built in her body.

 

WHAT WAS THE REASON?! Her distraught mind screams into the void as she is brought several years back to when she had first saw her aunt waltzing down the stairs of the Im’s family home in a gorgeous black gown that made young Wendy aggressively think: WOMAN WOMAN WOMAN WOMAN.

 

“I did not!” Wendy shrieks, huffing as her face returns back to her normal shade before bursting into a fiery inferno red, spreading from the crown of her head down to the base of her neck. The girls cackle at her expense, pinching her reddened cheeks and chanting Wendy’s in loveeeeeeeeeeee.

 

“Aren’t vampires supposed to be devastatingly good looking?” Yeri sits back up after her breath had returned to her from laughing so much, and circles an arm around her sulking friend.

 

“Yes… but both aunt Yoona and Yuri are crazy beautiful.” Joy says in a matter-of-fact manner.

 

“Wait. How old are your parents again Seul?” Wendy turns to Seulgi who has been quietly watching her friend’s interaction.

 

“Mum’s the same age as aunty Soo, while eomma’s the same age as aunt Tae, Jess, Sunny, Tiff and Hyo. I thought you guys knew that already?” She states, watching her friends recall the age of their parents. Their thought process crashing to a halt as they realise their aunts are in their late thirties.

 

“Well, damn!”

 

“They don’t look a day over twenty-five!”

 

“Not with a face and a body like that.”

 

“Goddamn!”

 

“Amen.” Wendy does the sign of the cross before bringing her hands together in a prayer like fashion and notices Yeri giving her a look that reads very well to, Your gay is showing.

 

“Seulgi you’ve got a lot to catch up on.” Irene teases her, playfully elbowing her on the ribs. Her uneven grin widening as Seulgi tries to squirm away.

 

“Good thing Seulgi here managed to get some of their good looks.” Wendy nudges her other side completely blocking her only way of exit from playful elbows. The teasing glint in her eyed showed that there was no malice in the comment.

 

Seulgi merely rolls her eyes. “Hey what is that supposed to mean?” She says weakly only to continue the joke. She’s been teased and borderline bullied enough to know not take anything that comes out of her friends’ mouth to heart.

 

The snickering stop when they hear a muffled, “Children” from the other side of their bedroom door.

 

Shivers run down their spine as they slightly cower underneath their sheets. Déjà vu blooming in the back of their minds as they’re thrown back to a time when they were five.

 

“Do we have to scare you into sleeping again?”

 

“NO.” They further burrow themselves deeper into the covers. They let out a breath of relief as they don’t see the door opening and only hear the crickets chirping outside of their window.

.

 

“They’re still awake, aren’t they?” Yoona questions even though she can’t hear anything despite staying two doors away from their rowdy house occupants.

 

“Yup.” Yuri pops the ‘P’ before tilting her head to the left, a far away look in her eyes as the corner of twitch upwards.

 

“What are they talking about now?” Yoona also tilts her head. Impatiently shooting Yuri a look as she watches her wife giggle to herself. Her curiosity is like an irritable itch in the very middle of her shoulder blades where her hands cannot reach.

 

“They’re still teasing Wendy about having a small crush on me.” Despite knowing the situation, Yoona can’t help but scrunch her nose as Yuri tries to muffle the laughter coming out of . There is something that Yuri is not telling her. Watching Yuri from the corners of her eyes, Yoona can definitely tell that that something definitely involved her.

 

“Why are you laugh-“

 

“Now they’re talking about the time you and Wendy almost got into a fight.” Yuri cackles at the sight of Yoona groaning, no doubt remembering memories of a young Wendy and younger Yoona constantly fighting for Yuri’s affection.

~

 

“Wow. Aunty’s sparkling.” Wendy gapes as her field of vision is filled with soft shades of pink and stars sparkling around the figure that was the cause of her trance-like state.

 

“Dazzling.” She hears a soft whisper a distant away from her and reluctantly looks away. “She’s what you call Dazzling.” She sees Yoona with a far-away look yet solely focused on her aunt fixing her earing.

 

Gross. Wendy cringes as she watches Yoona not realising that she too had the same exact dreamy look on her face.

 

She decides that she doesn’t want to be cringey like her aunt…

 

Seconds before she dashes off to the stunning woman in black and stares up starry-eyed, mouth gaping. “You’re dazzling!”

 

Yoona snaps out of her daze and sees Yuri cooing at the compliment, leaning forward to place a gentle kiss on Wendy’s forehead in thanks.

 

“Hey! That’s my line!” She mutely watches Wendy march off with a triumphant smirk on her face, hand holding up her bangs to show off the lipstick print on her forehead.

 

It was there; for the first time in her life, she felt threatened, watching the little Casanova-to-be showing off her printed forehead.

 

Threatened. How laughable.

 

By a six year old?! Unacceptable.

 

Thus ensued weeks of constant war proclamations by a six year old and an estranged wife. Fighting for Yuri’s love and attention. 

~

“It’s not funny!” Yoona bursts out, pouting. She really didn’t want to be reminded of one of the most embarrassing moments in her life.

 

Really, it wasn’t.

--

 

 

“KIDS WAKE UP!” Five bodies squirm and wriggle as their door receives a merciless beating by two pairs of fists. “WAKE UPPPPP!”

 

“Mum five more minutes.” A groggy head peers out from underneath the covers, her hair in a state of disarray- just like the rest of the occupants slowly waking up from their slumber. They lie there for a second longer, wishing that they could have 5 more minutes of sleep. The decision of sleeping until the wee hours of the morning was starting to look like a bad idea.

 

Bang. Bang. Bangity. Bang. Bang.

 

They grind their teeth in irritation as the banging only increased in volume- it wasn’t only them who was starting to get irritated.

“Don’t make me count to three!” They hear the muffled threat through the locked door and incessant knocking. They’ve heard the threat one too many times to listen to the warning. They’re halfway through their teenage years after all; a countdown’s not going to scare them.

 

“One.” They close their eyes once more and simultaneously cover themselves with their blanket. Until-

 

“Two.” The girls bolt upright. They know that voice. They’re terrified of the voice she uses when she’s mad. Her voice brings a shiver down their spine as they feel a phantom chill in the room. They gulp at the thought of facing the smiling mask of the person standing in front of their door. But it was the punishment that awaits them if they didn't beat the countdown that brought the girls to scramble and claw over each other to reach the door.

 

“Three-“

 

“PRESENT!” Tumbling over at the feet of their aunt, they nervously giggle at each other seeing as they had just saved themselves from an early punishment from their aunt Seohyun. Whom merely smiled down at the heap of bodies before greeting them a good morning before making her way back to the kitchen. Their eyes follow her retreating form, a breath of relief stuck in the back of their throat as they spot eight heads peeping out from the corner of the hallway with their eating grins plastered on their faces.

 

Of course their parents would send their most powerful player to wake them up. With an iron fist their aunt Seohyun was able to wrangle all of their parents into submission during their youth. Controlling five kids not even in their second decade was easy for her.

 

“Come on kids! We’ve got a few hours before we’re supposed to check out!”

 

They grumble and untangled themselves before following their parents to the kitchen, the mouth-watering scent of freshly cooked pancakes fill their nostrils.

 

They hurriedly arrange themselves into their seats before digging into the big stack of floury goodness. The adults merely chuckling at the sight before going back to their conversation around the counter table, sipping their freshly brewed coffees.

 

A typical scenario for adults like them.

 

Except, for one tanned lady who’s currently enjoying herself resting her chin on Yoona’s shoulder. Latching on to her wife from behind, chuckling every once in a while to whatever the other adults were saying or adding her contribution to the conversation.

 

This wouldn’t have caught the attention of the young adults and would have been easily brushed off as a normal form of affection between two lovers. If it weren’t for the fact that Yuri was currently being heavily watched by four pairs of eyes.

 

Yuri detaches herself from Yoona before getting herself a small juice box of cranberry juice, latching back on to her wife shortly after. Her chin again resting on Yoona’s shoulder as she sips out of the juicebox, her other hand clinging on to the front of Yoona’s shirt.

 

Yuri takes one last sip from her juicebox before planting her lips on the base of Yoona’s neck where it meets the shoulder. She feels a sudden surge in Yoona’s pulse, making her smile. She moves her line of sight to the table of teenagers and watch them fumble with their food as they made the mistake of making eye contact with her. She returns her attention back to Yoona’s neck, making sure that the prying children could see a flash of her teeth before her lips make contact with their destination. She inwardly laughs at their reaction.

 

They had no idea that she had been watching them as well as soon as they had stepped out of their room. The conversations they had the night before had awakened her inner prankster the kids had no idea about. Didn’t they know it was rude to talk behind someone’s back?

 

They sit frozen, watching their aunt pull away from her wife’s neck. Their eyes almost bursting out of their sockets as they see Yuri a single drop of bright red from her lips.

 

“Having fun over there?” Yuri hears a whisper in her ear and gives Yoona a small nod, sparing the frozen children one last glance before turning back to the adults.

 

She chuckles as she places another kiss on Yoona’s neck as if saying, of course. Her arms wrapping firmer around Yoona’s mid-rift. She feels the chuckle reverberating from Yoona’s neck rather than hearing it and smiles along, understanding the hidden message- those poor kids

 

“Mind letting us in to your conversation?” Their giggling comes to an abrupt halt as they remember that they aren’t alone in the room. Their shy grins apologetic as they often get stuck in a world of their own when it comes to their own secret language of subtle gestures and hidden touch.

 

The rest only snicker at the two, already used to the couple’s silent conversations. They’ve long accepted that there was no point in trying to understand what certain gestures meant and what mute conversation the two were having.

 

“Some of us haven’t lived a hundred years to learn how to read each others eyes like you two.” Despite the teasing, everyone can’t help but wish that what they have right now would hopefully work out as well as the couple in front of them.

 

“Did I hear that right?” Wendy sticks a finger into her ear, checking her hearing, not really sure if she heard the right thing. “They said a hundred right?”

 

The rest of the girls, except for Seulgi who’s still enjoying pancakes, dumbly nod along.

 

“Guys, you know we’re older than that.” Their eyes widen in shock just like how the lead actress looks at their mother-in-law after getting slapped in the face with kimchi. The answer to their ten-year mystery finally answered over pancakes and coffee as if the big revelation itself was about the weather.

 

It’s true?!

Seulgi wasn’t lying!

Vampires are real?!

WHAT THE FUC-

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-

These pancakes are good

Oh, our sweet Ddeulgi. We’re sorry we ever doubted you.

Our godmothers are immortal?!

Can they teach me how to be a vampire?

Yeri what the fu-

Welcome to the fang club.

No. Just no.

BOOOOOOOOO!

 

Yuri chortles as she watches the table of teenagers frozen at their table. Their eyes unfocused, and the strangled ‘hhhhhhhhhhhh’s coming out of their slackened mouth music to her ears.

 

She points everyone to the dining table as she fights to get air back into her lungs, leaving her to fully lean her weight on Yoona. Soon everyone is cackling and slamming their fists on the countertop with her. All enjoying the soulless state of their children, happily taking picture after picture of their mentally absent child- some of them even going as far as taking selfies with the teenagers in the background.  It was, after all, how they had acted when they first found out about their friends’ secret.

.

 

“Kids, gather around. I think it’s time to tell you a story.” Yoona claps her hands to gather their attention. It had been an hour since the children’s minds were blown away, now was probably the best time to properly explain what they had overheard and further cause more havoc between them.

 

One by one the younglings plop onto the couches in front of their aunts forming a semicircle. They sit as patiently as they could, their curiosity wafting heavily off of them in waves. They take a deep breath in when Yoona deeply inhales, leaning forward as she exhales out through her nose. Her eyes are suddenly aged as if it has seen through countless years.

 

“It started a long time ago. Long before your parents and their parents were born…”

 

A young Yoona stumbled through the doors of a small yet humble bakery located conveniently close to the library that she had spent half of her day studying. Starving and irritable she had stormed out of her table away from the small group of squawking baboons that had been camping two tables away trying to get her attention- and the attention of multiple librarians who had attempted numerous times to kick them out.

 

She couldn’t help but inhale deeply through her nose, savouring the scent of freshly baked bread and pastries. Her irate nature subdued by the thought of the flavours that she can practically taste through her nose. She doesn’t remember much of the interaction between her and the owners of the bakery. All she could remember was that they were nice and didn’t hesitate to add an extra slice of cake if she was feeling particularly sour on the days that she would visit.

 

She does remember the feeling of flour getting dumped all over her inside her favourite bakery after snapping and insulting a woman who had accidentally bumped into her as she rushed out to make it back home to attend yet another boring gathering her parents had forced her to attend.


She can’t forget how the other woman’s face had been one of shock and seconds away from apologising. In her hand was a light blue handkerchief ready to wipe the flour coating her dress. She then remembers how the woman’s face morphs into neutrality as she registers the words that came out of Yoona’s mouth. Her blankness clearly hiding her irritation and in the span of a second her face fails to show any emotion as she throws a bagful of flour her way. The room stills as Yoona processes the turn of events. She sees the horrified looks of the elderly couple who owns the bakery and the fire that she had alighted within the woman’s eyes as she inturn lectures her.

 

She felt the world slow.

 

She doesn’t know what to do and could only watch numbly as the elderly couple grab hold of the woman’s arms and profusely apologise to her- their backs straining with each and every bow. The woman alone stood in front of her, resentment burning in her eyes, unafraid of the consequences that would surely come her way after embarrassing the daughter of one of the most influential families in town.

 

Yoona doesn’t really remember the train of events that happened after that. She only remembers the feeling of embarrassment and a tinge of guilt after she walked out of the bakery. She didn’t return back for months- afraid that she’ll see the fiery woman again now that she had time to process everything that had transpired in the bakery.

 

They met again when Yoona walked through the same bakery doors- starved after countless meetings with the sons of business partners. They had both stiffened as they registered each other’s presence. Unsure of how to react, the memory of their first encounter bubbling to the surface. It was the woman standing behind the counter that first broke the silence. A tight-lipped smile on her face for the sake of formalities before asking for her order. It was an awkward few minutes after that, both not really knowing what to say or how to address the elephant in the room. In the end Yoona left with a small bag of oven baked snacks with not a speck of flour on her dress.

 

It took a few more weeks, an apology from both sides, and an introduction before their tight-lipped meetings eased off to an easy acquaintance. And a few more seasons before they could define their relationship as friendship. Their beginning started off unstable and doomed from the first encounter, but with enough care and persistence it bloomed into something more precious than friendly companionship. Together they found love at a time when their social status and gender were far more important than being with the one you loved.

 

They struggled to be together, but they had a plan. They were going run. Run away to a far away place where they could be happy together. But there was one thing they wanted to do before they left their old life behind.

 

Matrimony.

 

On their last night, they snuck away with bags in hand to a chapel to say their wedding vows. It was a night they could never forget.

 

Indeed it was.

 

Right before they were able to complete their vows, a lone stranger emerged from the dark. Eyes bewildered and slightly crazed as he mocked and spat at them for choosing the path they were on. Yoona had realised the man as one of her suitors that she had rejected countless of times despite her family’s disappointment. He was a charming man, but he had a hidden danger that Yoona didn’t want to play with.

 

Sadly she was right.

 

In the blink of an eye he had disappeared from where he stood and grabbed her by the hair. Pulling her back so that she could see the way his eyes glowed a crimson red. The moon illuminating through the chapel’s tinted windows revealing his elongated canines. He barked out a laugh as she paled at the realisation of the danger they were in. Vampire.

 

She remembers the fear coursing through her body as she tries to squirm away out of her captor’s hold. She remembers how she watches Yuri from the corner of her eye swinging the bishop’s staff at the back of his head.
 

Remembers how the glimmer of hope died as he doesn’t react to the hit that would have knocked out a normal man. The fear she felt quadrupled as he turned his attention away from her and towards her fiancé holding out the staff in defence. She pulled harder, not caring if she ripped out every strand of her hair, desperate to be with her love.

 

The man only laughed at her futile attempt. Disgust marring his once amused face. He spits at Yuri’s direction before facing her again. Eyes filled with a mixture of rage and hunger. He didn’t say anything but yanked her head back.

 

Her heart had thundered in her chest as she read the message in his eyes; If I can’t have you. No one will.

 

She still remembers feeling numb as she uselessly fought against his grip. Like an insect in a spider’s web, she had nowhere to go. She was going to die.

 

She remembers not feeling the pain. Instead she was engulfed by warmth that didn’t feel like death. She remembers wishing that she died instead after seeing Yuri collapse in her arms, breath shallow and skin pale as death. Blood seeping from her shoulder where the monster’s fangs had sunk into her flesh. She remembers the tears pooling in her eyes as she cradles Yuri’s frail form. Nothing else mattered to her- not her life, not the imminent danger she was still in, nor the man who singlehandedly ruined their lives.

 

On that night their old life ended. On that night Yoona watched Yuri die in her arms.

 

As the new dawn arose Yoona lived constantly on the run using the night as cover with a gagged and blood thirsty Yuri chained to her. It took them months of experimentation and constant fear of getting caught before Yuri had been able to stave off lusting for human blood. Her relapses were often unannounced, frequent.

 

Each and every time Yuri’s eyes would dull to a maroon red.

 

Each and every time she would watch the love of her life lose her humanity, straining against the chains that bind her to the wall of their home, fangs poking out of the gag around - torn and weathered.

 

Any other person would have turned and fled. Run back to safety and back to a life of ease. But Yoona was nothing like them.

 

She stayed.


Not because she feared of the repercussions that she’ll face when she goes back to her old life. She stayed because the relationship she had built with her wife mattered more than the strained smiles and vast riches. She stayed even though her life was constantly in danger because she could see how much Yuri was fighting to stay human. Even when love was overrun by fear neither wanted to let go of the other, and that was enough for them.

 

Through years of uncertainty and struggles they did manage to find a home for themselves bordering the edge of an ancient forest away from the prying eyes of townsmen. They had finally found their quiet after the storm. Like the aftermath of the storm they rebuilt their new normal. Healed their hurts and truly lived out their lives just like how they had envisioned it years ago.

 

For a while it was peaceful.

 

For a while they let themselves forget that they were no longer in danger. That the world they lived in did not have monsters and the supernatural. A fools hope that changed the course of their future.

 

However dangerous supernaturals were, they forgot that monsters in the form of human beings were more terrifying than those with sharp teeth and inhuman strength. They learnt that on the day a group of hunters had broken into their home while Yoona was out in town. Unable to flee into the woods, Yuri was chained to the wooden frame of their home and bled almost to death while the men had smiled with greed. A vampire’s blood was more valuable than gold and jewellery to those who knew the special qualities a vial of blood could do.

 

On that day a horrified Yoona had burst through the doors of their home only to see vials of blood littered along the floor. Five men gathered around her almost immobile wife, a butcher’s knife held tightly in their hands.

 

She could never forget the heat that surrounded her as their home caught ablaze after she had been knocked into the fireplace. Couldn’t forget the feeling of smashing those cursed vials all over the floor as she struggled to fight her way towards her wife. Couldn’t forget how disgusted she had felt after learning the truth from the men that she bravely fought against. But she was no hero. She didn’t have the strength of ten men or the ability to cut her enemies down with a sword. She was a peasant on the floor with a knife against inside a burning house that they had painstakingly built.

 

Within those walls of inferno, left with no other option, Yoona lunged for the last two remaining vials barely dodging the knife that would have sliced through her artery like butter and drank the blood of a vampire. Within those walls of fire another monster rose on that day.  She cleaved through their bodies like nothing. The groaning of the weakened timber and rage of the fire that engulfed everything in its path drowned their screams of pain and terror. On that day vampire blood was not the only thing she drank. On that day five unrecognisable bodies were found on the wreckage of a burnt home. It’s original occupants never found.

 

On that day Yoona learnt that a vampire’s blood not only gave her the strength and abilities of the supernatural, but the terrible thirst that the undead craved and killed for. From then they both found out how addictive a Vampire’s blood could be to a normal human. Only the blood of a Vampire could ever satiate the thirst, but that itself was a balancing act. Too much and it could lead them to an addict’s high. Too little and the recipient goes through withdrawal. Both outcomes concluding to a violent self-destruction.

 

 

The room is still, quiet.

 

Yoona waits in her seat, Yuri’s hand in her own as a way to ground her to the present. Uncovering the truth was never easy for them. They remind themselves that they no longer live in the past as their past traumas bubble to the surface where. That they are now living in the bright future they had dreamed of so many years ago.

 

Yoona glances at Yuri, sitting on the edge of her armrest, face unreadable but she could tell that she also could not escape from the early years of their marriage. The memories still looming over them on days they were unprepared, but those days have been few in between. The people they call their family bringing brighter days to chase the nightmares away.

 

She squeezes the hand in hers to be whatever Yuri needs to bring her back to the present- both a question and a reassurance for her wife. The response is immediate, and a quiet breath of relief is exhaled. They’re all right. They’re here. They’re safe.

 

“I didn’t know you went through all of that.” They turn to the watery voice of their daughter. Tears pooling in her eyes as she makes her way to her parents. They both turn to each other, eyes softening as they remember the agreement they made when they first held Seulgi in their arms. She didn’t have to know, but there will be a point in her life that she would have to know the whole truth.

 

Seulgi melts into her mothers’ arms as a few tears slide down her cheeks. She’s always just thought that her parents had this magical love story found in fairy tales. Her heart aches knowing that her mother was turned against her will, that before she came into their lives they had to face the world alone just so they could be where they are now.

 

She buries herself deeper into Yuri’s neck, the hold that she had on both her parents tightening. She feels soft on her hair that never fails to calm her; long even that Yoona knows will bring peace to her daughter. Yuri places kisses to her forehead- the ones that last longer than others and warms her from the inside out. Her mothers’ own way of protecting her from all the hurt in the world, by showing her that she is loved- loved for all the things that she is and will be.

 

It’s solemn for a minute longer before, “Is that how you stay so young auntie?” They break apart with a smile to face a very curious Yeri vibrating on her seat, looking at her aunts as if they put up the stars in the sky.

 

“Do you drink auntie’s blood like a vampire?” Joy pipes in next, arm raised like the diligent student that she wasn’t. As calm as they wished they were both aunt’s looked at each other in alarm. These kids did not have to know about that ritual

 

“Uh… Maybe next time.” Yuri answers, the subtle red tint on her cheeks is the only tell tale sign that she’s embarrassed. They’re strongly met with more pleas. The kids definitely don’t need to know about that.

 

With one subtle flick of the wrist from Yoona, Taeyeon pops up from behind the kitchen counter to scream, “Who wants ice cream?!”

--

 

 

“Mum I want this one.”

 

“Yoona will buy you.” Taeyeon jokes. Her grin widening as Yeri turns her big pleading eyes towards Yoona and knew from that moment on that she had taken the bait- hook, line and sinker.

 

“I’ll buy you one.” If only had Yoona remembered the people she was with and the type of people she called her friends were, she would have avoided the Pandora’s box that she had unknowingly opened. But alas, she was too preoccupied drowning inside those big brown eyes that was not only crafted and honed by the said child, but also improved with the help of her two very cunning and devious parents. Who also have their own well-crafted weapons of mass cuteness.

 

“Yes! Yoona will pay everyone!” Cheers of joy and loud cackling erupt in the ice-cream parlor. Yoona blankly looks on as her friend, their children, and even her own family splurge on their orders.

 

“Wait what?”

 

Yuri leans into Yoona’s shoulder and winks. “Don’t worry honey, I’ll pay for my own ice cream.” Her eyes crinkle in delight, as her wife remains frozen in place watching the frenzy between customer and worker scooping and serving scoop after scoop of differently flavoured ice cream. Probably mentally calculating the overall cost of approximately thirty scoops of ice cream between fourteen people.

 

They are so not getting that all you can eat buffet free pass. Yoona huffs as she drags her feet to the counter. The credit card in her hand feeling heavier than what it’s supposed to be. But she wouldn’t have it any other way.

 

“Rich Yoona strikes again!”

---

 

 

Everyone turns away from their conversation to gawk at Yuri walking down the stairs, starting from her heels to her head.

 

Stunned, as a woman who’s lived over two centuries elegantly glides down the steps in ridiculously thin stilettos effortlessly, without a problem in the world. Their eyes catching on to her hips that sway side to side with every step she takes.

 

“Her hips don’t lie.” Yoona slowly tips her head forward in silent agreement with Wendy, her eyes remain admiring the view of her wife in a tight purple gown perfectly hugging and showing off Yuri’s sashaying hips. The slit running up her leg only brings the attention lower to a bronze thigh and flawless leg. As much as she enjoys appreciating the epitome of the perfect body, her eyes always come back up to chocolate brown pools encasing the windows to the owner’s soul that Yoona has grown to appreciate more than Yuri’s physical attributes.

 

“Hi.” Yoona reaches out a hand for Yuri to hold. Words don’t come easy as she takes her hand and flashes her a small smile. It’s been more than two hundred years and she still has her breath stolen from her lungs every time Yuri steps within her space.

 

Yuri lifts her hand to tuck back a runaway strand behind Yoona’s ear while she observes how her makeup had further accentuated her features. Her hand rests on Yoona’s cheek before gingerly running a thumb over the cheekbone. She doesn’t have words to say; just having Yoona close to her was enough. She could never tire basking in Yoona’s presence. Not when she brings her comfort when times are unsure, or how she steadies her whenever she’s about to teeter off of the edge of sanity. Her eyes land on her partner’s lips and doesn’t hesitate to lean forward, pressing more into Yoona’s personal space- her lips have been hers to claim ever since they both said yes. Why not claim it now?

 

A small cough breaks through their trance as they slowly remember where they are.

 

Right. They should be leaving now. They’re not supposed to be late to their own anniversary party. Besides it’s not really romantic kissing your long-term wife in front of all of your godchildren, who’re blatantly ogling you from where they are standing. Not even bothering to hide their -eating grins.

 

Yoona chuckles as Yuri merely rolls her eyes and sticks her tongue out at their extended children, subtly holding onto Yuri’s hand a little tighter just incase she gets roused into chasing the trouble makers around and ruining her evening look. No matter how old they all get, chasing someone around the kitchen counter will always be a tradition that has not been lost to the passage of timeThey both take a step back to watch their godchildren busy themselves with makeup and hair. Their smiles mirroring each other as they remember the time when it was them who were putting makeup on their tiny faces as children and cheering them on as they threw on fashion parades with mismatched shoes and shirts five times bigger than them. Each of that said child had now matured and are now taking their life into their own hands.

 

Speaking of maturing children, Yuri glances to the clock on the wall and notices that they should be on their way out by now if they were to make it to the venue in time. She hears frantic footsteps before everyone else and is already opening the front door to her sheepish looking daughter.

 

“Eomma!” Seulgi greets her, eye smile and all, before engulfing her into one of her bear hugs. Yuri merely shakes her head, the small smile plastered on her face already starting to grow wider as she crushes Seulgi in her own version of a bear hug. She plants a wet kiss on her daughter’s cheek before taking her hand and leading her inside where her other mother is eagerly waiting, after she had playfully glared at Seulgi and jokingly reprimand her for being late.

 

Yuri watches as Yoona excitedly waddles to Seulgi in her dress, much like how her daughter skips into her mother’s arms. She notices that despite Seulgi had grown taller in the years, she’s still a few inches shorter than them both. No matter the changes their daughter goes through Yuri can’t see any changes in the way Yoona looks at their daughter. Certainly not in the way she cradles Seulgi in her arms or in the way she lovingly her hair. Yoona still looks at Seulgi with the same love and affection that she had shown when Seulgi was first born twenty-five years ago.

 

“Love? It’s time to go.” Yuri calls to her other half giving Seulgi one last squeeze and a kiss to the forehead before reaching out to Yuri’s out held hand. They stand still for a minute longer as they watch the scene of their adult children mingle in the living room- wondering where the time had gone. They let out an uneven breath knowing that one day this life will come to an end, but living long enough had taught them to cherish the people who had stumbled in and stayed in their life.

 

With a squeeze of their hand, they turn to each other. Eyes all knowing but content, and stepped through the entrance. They’ve got many years left with their family, there’s no point in thinking about the end.

 

---

 

 

“Yul look at me.” Yoona gently calls to Yuri’s slumped form on the chair beside her. Yoona knows that her time is limited to these final few minutes with her wife. Her departure had always been a sensitive topic for the both of them and was rather hidden away in the deepest and darkest parts of their minds. They knew that it was unavoidable. Yoona had already slowly come to understand that it was only natural that a human could not surpass the life expectancy of a vampire, born or made.

 

“I won’t tell you to not cry. It’s okay to let the tears out. Let the pain out for as long as you need, until the pain is only a small reminder of the time that we had spent together.” Yuri slowly lifts her eyes as Yoona’s usually lively voice weakly flutters into her ears. Her fingers intertwining with Yoona’s reaching out for her- trembling, as if the action alone drained all of her energy.

 

“I know I promised that I would never hurt you.” Yoona chokes back the sob that threatens to spill out. She was supposed to be strong today. She can’t break down now when Yuri is barely holding herself together.

 

”I’m sorry that I will cause you pain and that I won’t be there to ease your sorrows. This is the one thing that I can’t prevent.” She flashes Yuri a watery smile, barely hiding the quivering of her bottom lip.

 

“It will hurt.” Gods the pain that she’ll put Yuri through breaks her heart all over again. “I know it will, I wouldn’t be able to cope knowing you’re gone.” She squeezes her wife’s hand. The wedding band that she’s worn for millennia catches the bleak light of the room and tugs her lips into a smile. Brief memories of the same band in different lifetimes flash into her mind reminding her if brighter days.

 

“But remember this Yul, I have lived for three millennia by your side and I had no regrets with every passing day spent with you. I was able to do everything that no normal person could do- the travelling, the adventures, the thrills of living life on the edge. I was able to live the extravagant life that normal people could only dream of living.” She closes her eyes as she once again lives through a time when all she had to worry was living her day-to-day life with a newly turned vampire. Now a different memory from a different part of her lifer brings out a soft smile on her paling face.

 

“Yet, I mostly cherish and will forever keep with me the time when we were able to start a family, together. A dream that would have been impossible at the very beginning of our lives.” Her smile widens as she squeezes the hand in hers with all her remaining strength. She feels warm despite knowing that her body temperature is slowly declining, her heart beat slowing with every second spent.

 

She should be scared. But she isn’t. The warmth from the memories of her loved ones keeping the cold away. Especially the memories of the woman in front of her.

 

“Yul, I’ve lived a long life with you. And I will always want to have you in my life until our souls cease to exist. If you will have me, will you spend the rest of eternity with me? In the next life and the rest?” She shouldn’t be worried. Shouldn’t be nervous of her answer. But there she is, hands growing clammy with every second that ticks by. The ball in getting harder to swallow as dries.

 

“Of course!” Yuri bursts out in a watery laugh, cradling Yoona’s hand as she brings it to her lips. “To the next life and the rest I will always be with you. Whether if it’s fate or destiny, I’ll always find you.”

 

“That’s great. I- I love you Kwon Yuri.” Yoona breathes out the limited air from her lungs as relief overcomes the creeping fear of not having Yuri by her side in the next life.

 

“I love you too, Im Yoona.” Her eyes blur but no tears fall from her eyes.

 

“Now rest, close your eyes and be at peace. For I will be right beside you forever and always.” She rests her hand on Yoona’s pale cheek and cups it tenderly as she slowly leans down to place a kiss on her forehead, a kiss for each of her eyelids, her cheeks, her chin, and finally to Yoona’s lips as her final farewell.

 

It pains her to watch the larboured breathing of her beloved, but she refuses to take her eyes away from her beautiful face even when she’s so close to breathing her last. She holds onto Yoona’s hand a little tighter as if to once more plead her to stay, but Yoona gently smiles, her eyes closing as her remaining strength diminishes.

 

Yoona wasn’t afraid of dying. She had already embraced the idea of passing on, but the idea of leaving Yuri had always been a painful reality that she wished wouldn’t occur. She prays that Yuri will find the strength to move on from the pain that she will go through and begs to whoever’s listening that she and Yuri would find their way back to each other. She laces her fingers with Yuri’s one last time as she feels herself weakening more, and although she can’t see her, she knows that Yuri’s trying her best to keep herself together.

 

Yuri feels a soft squeeze in her hands before her eyes widen. The tears blur her vision as she leans her forehead to Yoona’s. She pleads and pleads despite knowing that nothing else can be done. So instead she begs for more time with her. Please not yet. Please.

 

It hurts to say goodbye. She hopes that Yuri receives her I love yous that she repeats in her thoughts. She’s fading fast, she cries out in relief as she hears Yuri’s I love you as she floats away into darkness.

 

She knew that Yoona was gone. She could tell just by how limp Yoona’s hands were. How she could no longer feel her breath or the pulse on her wrist. Or how Yoona had looked so at peace as she lied there so close, yet so far away from her. Her eyes water as she caresses Yoona’s face one last time and cry she did.

 

Her tears spilling over her cheeks and on to crumpled bed sheets. Her wails echoing around the cold bedroom, and for a while she didn’t move- the pain in her chest rendering her helpless.

 

She had known all this time that it was going to be painful once Yoona leaves her. Known how the loss of a loved one will never get easier with each passing year. Known how the grief will circle around her as she tries to live on without her friends, her goddaughters, her daughter, and now without her. Oh, how sorrow will tightly hold on to her aching heart as she now walks the earth alone.

 

She knows, and yet, the pain thrums and radiates throughout her whole body, as she desperately clutches her chest trying to ease a smidgen of the pain away.

 

She cries and cries until there are no tears left, until all she could do was haggardly breathe in and out, fighting to get precious air back into her lungs.

 

Week after week she mourned. Tears continuously pouring out of red-rimmed eyes, as memories of the past continuously water them. The pain comes next as she realises that she will never see them in this life ever again, and that she is once again alone in the world.

 

She lies on her bed when nothing else can be let out, when even her own voice refuses to come out. So she sleeps, often dreamless, but during rare times she sees her smiling face again accompanied with her family and she wakes up with tears on her pillow before the cycle is once again repeated.

 

There had been one point of her grieving that she had almost slipped and let her pain take over- when she had nothing else to give and just wanted to take. Take away the only thing that was stopping her from seeing her loved ones again, but as she sank into her covers and snuggled into one of Yoona’s favourite hoodies and flipped through endless pages filled with pictures of her long life. She realised she didn’t want to lose her long uphill battle with her grief and sorrow.

 

Yes, she wanted to see them again. Yes, she constantly missed them and longed for their presence. Yes, she could take the shortest path to see them. But she wouldn’t be able to heal all of her hurts. She wouldn’t be able to tell her daughter, her goddaughters, her friends, and her wife stories of how she was able to over come her greatest challenge yet. She wanted them to be proud of her, and she wanted to be proud of herself.

 

For the last time she mourned.

 

She mourned for the loss of not only her love, but for her child that she raised and loved greatly as a mother.

 

For her nieces whom she had loved as her own daughters.

 

Her friends that she had called her own family- friends that had recently passed and those she had made over the years.

 

She even mourned for her grandchildren and their grandchildren, the only remaining proof of what she and Yoona had started through Seulgi.

 

Finally, she mourned for herself. For her human self before she was turned against her will, so that that part of herself can finally find peace and rest.

 

Once the tears had dried and the painful wrenching had subsided to a small tug tucked away into the deepest corner of her heart. She stood up, washed herself and stepped out of her home.

 

Her heart finally beating freely without the weight of her sorrow weighing it down. The breath in her lungs coming out smoothly as she didn’t have to heave through her tears. She was finally free to move on, and as she closed the door to her home, she closed the door to the sadness and fear of losing those she loved. Loss was inevitable, but she wasn’t going to stop it from living her life as she waits to be with Yoona again.

.

 

.
 

.

 

.

 

Yuri died a quiet and lonesome death one hundred and twenty-five years later. As a vampire not born the natural way, her powers had weakened over the state of time after her prime. Knowing that it was finally her last day on earth, she had hobbled up to her final resting place. A bench that she would always occupy during the lonelier times to watch the night lights of her city and watch the dim twinkling of the stars above, and closed her eyes as the first rays of the morning light warmed her skin.

 

Without her resistance to the sun her skin burned and disintegrated into fine dust. She felt nothing but pain. Gods did it hurt. The process was so painfully slow, as slow as the sun rising. It brought tears to her eyes at first, but as the sun rose higher her tears rolled down her cheeks as she heard the faint call of her name.

 

“Yuri.”

 

“Love.”

 

“I missed you.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Hello again!

So, how was it? I'm not going to lie writing the end felt like being stabbed by a million knives, and then re-reading it just gutted me. I hope you guys are faring better than me after reading this haha.

So this idea first came to a few years ago when I saw a twitter post about vampire Yuri. I started writing this sometime around 2020 and forgot about it until I started re-reading a few of my unfinished stories. This was the most interesting one that I was confident I could finish. Back then I had no idea where this was all going, but I'm happy with how well it turned out.

It's also my first time writing the red velvet girlies in my stories, so I hope I did them some justice as I adore the group and their dynamics 

Well, I hope you enjoyed this newest addition. Let me know what you think! As always thank you for spending time to read it. Thank you to those who subscribe, comment, and upvote. I really appreciate it!

Here's to a better year ahead of us and I'll see you next time!

;)