001

Dark Night, Rose Knight

Fastening the chains tying her scabbard over her shoulder, Seungwan races her horse through the dense thicket. It's dark tonight—very much so. The ongoing moon eclipse creates a seemingly infinite darkness within the forest. Guided only by the dim light from her lantern, Seungwan cuts through the darkness without as much as a stop.

Behind her, another girl follows, busying herself by mumbling a string of curses. At one point, her endless lamentation irks Seungwan, causing her to stop her horse and turn.

"Kim Yerim! Can't you keep your mouth shut?"

"What? Oh, come on, sis!" Yerim, the girl who follows Seungwan on her own horse, groans loudly. She grumbles as she scratches her head. Yerim pouts when she sees Seungwan crossing her arms. "You know I hate going to the forest! Ugh, I shouldn't have accepted Princess Joohyun's order to come with you."

Seungwan sighs. Typical of Yerim. While it's true that they both are the knights of the Red Velvet Kingdom, it is also true that Yerim has never been the most enthusiastic if she has to exit the castle grounds. Seungwan knows that her childhood partner would rather stay than to ride her horse around like how Seungwan is.

Usually, it's not a problem. Yerim is also the Princess' personal guard, so she's not required to go out as much as Seungwan does. But this time, Yerim has to step outside, in the middle of the night, all because of the crown Princess' request. Seungwan understands if Yerim's in an eternal bad mood as of now. It's just, the more she complains, the more her words mess with Seungwan's already jumbled up thoughts.

"If you don't like it, go back. I'll continue on my own. I'd rather be alone than have you grumbling all the way there," Seungwan says calmly.

"And how should I answer Princess Joohyun if she asks me where the hell did you go?" Yerim snorts. "Sis, I don't like it here. But I also can't let your run on your own to the devil's—SEUNGWAN LOOK OUT!"

Just as Seungwan snaps her horse away from their spot, a grotesque monster jumps from the bushes, trying to maul her. Yerim quickly withdraws her crossbow and shoots the darkness incarnate. A whisk of arrow passes by Seungwan's ears followed by a scream of agony from the bird-like beast.

The two knights shudder at the sight of the beast jerking around in pain. Not long after, it grows still, then it vanishes into the shadows. Seungwan and Yerim haven't been able to move on from the weird creature when caws of madness echo from their surroundings.

"Heh, I guess what you manifested earlier is getting real." her lower lip, Yerim readies her crossbow and checks her arrow slots. She turns to Seungwan and her chin. "Go. I'll take care of them."

Seungwan pauses. This isn't what she wants. "No.. I can't leave you, Rim..."

"You have to. Before the eclipse comes to an end. Or we'll never be able to find her," says the younger girl as she looks upon the moon. She winks at Seungwan, taps the other knight's white stallion and pushes it away. "Come on, go. Only you have the right... aand the skill, to find her. Go on your way, Rose Knight."

Ah, Rose Knight. A particular nickname Yerim knows will ignite Seungwan's sentiment. The short-haired girl huffs softly before nodding. "You don't have to chase me. Once you're done, go home. Tell Princess Joohyun I'll be the one continuing the chase. Be careful, Yerim."

"Don't worry, sis." Yerim grins. "Just think of it as a way for me to channel the dormant sniper soul in me."

Yerim's sentence makes way for a smile to appear on Seungwan's face. Her best friend really never changes. Not sparing Yerim another glance, Seungwan spurs her horse to continue their run. She ignores the bird-like beasts jumping towards her, knowing full well that Yerim will protect her.

The sapphire-eyed ring around Seungwan's left middle finger, somehow, feels like it burns. But she ignores the feelings and keeps on running through the forest, leaving Yerim with dozens of darkness incarnates that falls one by one.

The eclipse is starting to move.

.

.

.

Seungwan's steed gives up not far from their destination. The white stallion refuses to move no matter what Seungwan does to him. It seems that her beloved horse isn't courageous enough to step into the evil dark that surrounds a shrine in the middle of the forest.

A stray ray of moonlight illuminates Seungwan as she enters the shrine. Once, this shrine is one of the most famous worshipping spots for the Gods of old. Now, the shrine is no more than just a formation of bricks ridden by nature. A place nearly untouched. A place where the devils come to play once night settles.

And in this place, Seungwan finds her.

A ravenette woman wearing an obsidian crown. Her black dress hugs her beautiful body, high slit showing the expanse of her smooth legs. The woman sits atop a massive beast with an eagle head, who leans over the stairs to the shrine. Around the woman and her pet is a legion of bird-like atrocities—not unlike the one Seungwan and Yerim fought beforehand—dancing under the dim moonlight with crooked and inhumane movements.

When Seungwan emerges from the thicket, the woman opens her eyes.

"Is that you, my Rose Knight?" the woman giggles softly. Her laugh is carried by the wind, caressing Seungwan's face, prompting her to tighten her grip around her sword's grip. The woman's acknowledgement causes the darkness incarnates to turn towards Seungwan, hissing. The woman smiles and sits a tad bit straighter. "You've found me..."

"Princess Seulgi." Seungwan bows. No matter what, this woman is still one of the Kingdom's Crown Princesses. She is the younger sister of Princess Joohyun, who disappeared without a trace over a year ago, back when the blood moon takes place. The princess, who was also the one giving Seungwan her most treasured nickname.

.

"From now on, I'll call you Rose Knight. Seungwan, my Rose Knight?"

"What is that? And why is it Rose Knight?"

"I don't know.. why do you always bring me roses every time we meet?"

".."

"Hah! You won't answer? So will I not."

.

Seungwan shakes her head, erasing the sudden surge of one of her fondest memories. She can't believe; how come this once warm-hearted, loving girl, had turned into a devilish lady who thrives in the dark. Seungwan had suspected that Seulgi turned into a devil due to the time of her disappearance, and the sudden surge of deaths around the Kingdom, yet still she's surprised the moment her suspicion comes true. Saddened by how she can only find Seulgi in her utmost manifestation at the moon eclipse.

Young devils can't manifest every night. Seulgi simply shows her existence through her pets' bloody work, while she herself hides beneath the shadows.

Until the eclipse.

"Princess, why would you do this?" asks Seungwan carefully. Seulgi's dark eyes and her troop's weird noises give no dent to Seungwan's will. "The Kingdom misses you. Why did you leave us only to join... them?"

One of the beasts near Seungwan roars. What an unsettling sound, a screech so ugly it pushes Seungwan to unsheathes her sword.

But Seulgi only shrugs and smiles. "I don't know… I'm just a little bored with life. Wouldn't this be more fun, my Rose Knight? Playing under the moonlight and watching the frightened faces of those humans as they were on the verge of death. Interesting, isn't it?"

Seungwan took a deep breath. Damn, looks like Seulgi has fallen too deep. This vile woman in front of him was not the warm-hearted woman he remembered. She readies her stance and watches each darkness incarnate closely.

"Come with me, Seungwan." Suddenly, Seulgi sighs. The incarnations around them stop moving, giving Seulgi a chance to speak. "Stay with me. Here. We can enjoy the night, just the two of us, forever."

Seulgi looks deeply at Seungwan with mixed emotions contained within her dark eyes. Seungwan thought she could see a flash of longing in Seulgi's eyes. She stares back at Seulgi, firm, still with her sword drawn and ready to spring into any attack.

"Your soul is bound by the darkness, Princess. This isn't the place for you. You don't belong in the dark. Instead of staying here, come home with me. Return to your rightful place under the sunlight."

"What for?" Seulgi frowns. Her previously melancholic expression turns frozen. "I have no place in the kingdom. They all belong to my sister. I was nothing more than just a pest for her to get rid of, once she claims the throne. Only in this place will I prosper. I can get anything I want, Seungwan."

Seungwan grits her teeth. "Princess Joohyun had never thought of that! You're wrong, and now you've murdered so many of your people, Princess!"

"So you don't want to? What a shame."

With that, Seulgi waves her hand, and the dozens of creatures she led charge towards Seungwan. Seulgi watches in her pet demon's lap as Seungwan dances with her sword. Slashing all her enemies until there is none left. One by one, the minor demons droops, staining the temple floor with black blood that soon evaporated into the air.

Seulgi glances at the sky. The eclipse is still halfway through. She stepped down from the lap of her strongest pet, giving way for the eagle beast to approach Seungwan. The knight is already kneeling, supported by her blade, breathing heavily in fatigue. A thought occurs to her to let Seungwan go. But apparently, the knight still hasn't given up, as Seungwan stands up shakily and draws her sword again.

With an exhale, Seulgi turns. Not quite interested to see her beloved knight being trampled to death. "Stubborn. Kill her, ReVe."

ReVe's roar resounds through the sky. But as loud as it is, Seulgi hears a crack. Like a crystal being broken. Less than a split second later, black flame rages, burning her pet demon until only his painful cry remains. It is only when ReVe's giant body completely burned that Seulgi could see a figure standing in the middle of the inferno.

Seungwan, her Rose Knight, who is now looking back at her with two bizarre shining blue eyes. The rosey armor and cape she always wears had been scorched, replaced by a simple black dress matching Seulgi's own. There are carvings of ancient symbols on Seungwan's exposed right shoulder, also radiating light similar to her eyes. Meanwhile, Seungwan's blade had turned black, alight with the same black embers that burns the surrounding air.

"You're not the only one who brings darkness within you, Princess," Seungwan mumbles. Deep, slow, as she watches Seulgi stumbling in her surprise. "So listen and obey me; darkness isn't a place for you. You deserve to thrive under the sun, along with your family and the humans who adore you."

"That's—the Lucifer's mark?!" It seems like Seulgi is focused on the wrong thing. "H-How are you—Seungwan, you...—?"

Consumed by fear, Seulgi throws Seungwan a blade of shadow. The blade is caught by Seungwan's flame, even without as much as moving her arm.

"Princess, this isn't your place. Leave, and life in light," says Seungwan once again.

Seulgi kept stepping back, afraid, until her back hits the shrine's wall. Making it easier for Seungwan to corner her with a sudden surge of black fire that traps her in a heated circle. The demon gulps when Seungwan puts her hands on the sides of Seulgi's head, cutting any means of escape.

"Are you going to kill me?" Seulgi asks quietly.

Seungwan shakes her head. "No. I just want you go back to where you belong."

Swallowing, Seulgi forces herself to steadily return Seungwan's calm gaze. Rather than turning her gaze to Seungwan's soft lips that look scandalously attractive. "And if I don't want to?"

"I know your intention, Seulgi."

How dare she; calling Seulgi without her title? Yet Seulgi can't bring herself to care. Not when Seungwan brings her face closer.

"I know you want to run, want to escape your sister's shadow and the stifling kingdom. But this is not the way, princess. You fit more to live under the sun, and you deserve that too. Let go of your darkness. There are so many ways of you to be free, without having to hurt others."

"I've been here too long." A sigh. "I don't know how to get back."

"I can cleanse your soul—if you will let me."

Seulgi pauses, searching Seungwan's eyes. She could see nothing else other than determination and care within Seungwan's blazing blue orbs. The same eyes that always gaze upon her lovingly, of the girl who Seulgi had come to love. Seulgi gulps, feeling her heart beats harder inside her chest.

Darn, why did she have to fall in love with her knight? It grieves her so much knowing her parents and sister will definitely frown upon her feelings. Saddens her how even if her love is reciprocated, they will never be allowed to be together. That very same grief pushed her to accept the invitation from the dark, if only it gives her the chance to love her knight freely.

Yet, if Seungwan is the one who asks her to return to the light, she'll accept her hands still.

"Tell me how." Driven by emotion, Seulgi moves to grip at Seungwan's dress. Her other hand touches the knight's exposed shoulder, caressing the ancient rune glowing on her skin. "Do it."

Seungwan nods, and brings their lips together. Seungwan's lips felt smooth even though they're dry, and there are small healed cuts, as she gently kisses Seulgi. Seungwan's tongue prod Seulgi's lips, asking for an entrance to be granted. As she swallows the devil's small moan, her power flows into Seulgi's body. The tendrils of darkness that had penetrated her soul gradually burns, scorches and vanishes, leaving a soul that was clean from the grip of shadows.

After confirming that she has completely cleansed Seulgi's soul, Seungwan lets go of their lips, letting Seulgi's unconscious body fall into her arms. She closely looks upon her princess' beautiful face, before she glances over her shoulder.

"Come out, you bastard."

A fit of laughter explodes from behind the bushes. A tall, slender lady steps into the open space, showcasing a pair of emerald eyes shining under the moonlight. The lady wears a white dress adorned with swan feathers. She chuckles lightly, playing with the diamond ring on her right middle finger.

"You found me, sissy~"

"Since the very first time I saw that avian incarnations, I know it was all you, Sooyoung."

Sooyoung laughs again at hearing Seungwan's cold words. She bites her lip when Seungwan turns around. She notices Seulgi's limp body carried by Seungwan's arms, slightly grumbling as she feels that there are no longer any remnants of darkness in Seulgi's soul. "Why are you mad at me? I was just trying to help my beloved sister."

Seungwan's jaw tightened, but she makes no sound. Allowing Sooyoung to continue her speech.

"You know that your life would be a lot easier if that woman of yours was a demon," Sooyoung says flatly. "You're a coward, you hear me? I know you've loved each other for years, but you'd rather keep your demon side locked up than show her around. Even though you must've understand, that you won't be able to marry or claim her fully, if she wasn't a demon like you."

"Seulgi is a human. She deserves to live under the light."

"I was going to say she can live under the light if she's strong enough, but I remember that only you and dad can do that." Sooyoung exhales, looking up at the eclipse that is almost at its end. She shrugs and crosses her arms in front of her chest. "Speaking of dad, he's looking for his eldest daughter to ascend the throne. You better go down there before he himself ascends and drags you back to hell."

Seungwan spat. "I care not what he wants. You can take the throne, I don't care."

"Eh... at least he doesn't think of you as a threat to him anymore. Also, I don't want the throne." Rolling her eyes, Sooyoung turns around and steps into the grove. "Whatever, none of my business either. By the way, your little archer friend is kinda cute. What's her name?"

The vicious growl coming out of Seungwan's mouth makes Sooyoung raise her arms. "Whoa, whoa, relax. I don't like noisy girls. Maybe. I'll go first, sis, I think I'll see you again tomorrow night."

With that, Sooyoung disappears, merging with the darkness. Seungwan waits until she's sure that Sooyoung is gone before turning to look at Seulgi. The princess looks so serene in her sleep, so Seungwan leans in and kisses her forehead.

"I'm so sorry, my princess. This time, you have to go back to your house. Let me think about what I can do next, okay?"

Staring at the eclipse that is already in its final phase, Seungwan takes a deep breath, letting the black flames engulf them. When the fire is extinguished, all that is left is a burnt yellow feather, lying on the temple floor.

They're going home.

 

 

 

Fin