Prologue

Tell Me About Tomorrow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The clear sky radiates the sunlight as it is adorning the packed city streets. Everyone gets way excessively eager to start their summer. The start of the summer was the right time for people to release their burdens. They might be planning to spend their time (and money, to be exact) just to be on vacation outside the country or stay. It was 9 in the morning, and clearly, the toll road was crowded. Many cars formed up in the march to take their chances for moving on. Cars honked high and low, interfering in anyone’s ear as they got lost in the hustle.

 

Unlike most people, Chou Tzuyu’s face is nowhere to be radiated the spirit of summer. The Taiwanese girl sat on the back seat, with her head leaning on the window. She saw the blue skylight with a few birds fleeing in a group. She counted how many smileys faces people made while reminiscing through their non-tinted windows and how many frustrated people looked on their seats.

 

On the passenger seat was seated her mother, alongside their longtime driver, who had been working approximately 15 years, Mr. Zhang. The older Taiwanese woman was quite busy engaging in an important phone call, which Tzuyu assumed was one of her mother's business talks. This is so typical of her mother, the businesswoman who can’t escape their work just a second, and even they couldn't get their own time to take a breath.

 

Sighed in boredom, Tzuyu wondered when they would arrive at their destination. They’ve been stuck and not moving any inches for almost an hour.

 

“Are you feeling nauseous?”. asked her mother. Tzuyu saw her mother eyed her through the rearview while still stuck her phone to her right ear.

 

Tzuyu shook her head as a confirmation, then she stated, “I’m fine.”

 

“If you feel any nauseous, you know where you can find the plastic bag to puke into.”

 

Her mother was referring to the thing she put in her bag just in case she’ll get any carsick on the trip. So, she nodded in understanding, although her mother couldn’t see it since she had already turned her attention to her discussion.

 

Tzuyu felt like this would take a lot of her time, so she decided to take a quick nap. She put out her earphone from her bag then plugged them into her phone. Her finger knocked onto the song’s app logo, and she determined to play her favorite ‘ballad-songs-compilation’ playlist to soothe her mind. 

 

Ballads are her comfort songs.

 

It didn’t take too long until her eyes felt heavy, and she closed them slowly. Minutes passed, her breathing seemed slowed down, Tzuyu didn't even hear her mother’s voice, the sound of the radio played by Mr. Zhang, nor the rowdiness by car’s air conditioner compete against her mother’s voice. The Taiwanese girl eventually falls into her dreamland.

 

Tzuyu didn’t remember the rest of their journey. It was until her mother’s soft voice roused her up by calling her name. Tzuyu then adjusted her eyes steadily when the brightness welcomed her. The girl also didn’t feel their car moving on, so she assumed they were there.

 

“We are here.”

 

Confirmed by her mother vocally, Tzuyu realized they were already at their destination. She gathered all her consciousness before getting out of the car. 

 

Mr. Zhang opened their trunk and took out two suitcases covered in silver gold and black colors- they belong to Tzuyu’s. The Taiwanese girl eyed the surroundings; she could witness how replete the airport parking lot was at that time. After all, it is summer.

 

Tzuyu walked along with her mother and Mr. Zhang. They were going toward the international departure gate. She could hear the noise around her, the airport intercom, people passing by to say goodbye to their loved ones. Mr. Zhang rolled down a cart to load both of Tzuyu's suitcases. Tzuyu then helped Mr. Zhang to load her belongings onto the cart. Then, she gave a heartwarming smile to the older man as she thanked him for taking them here. Mr. Zhang responded with her old man's authentically smile. Tzuyu surely would miss his smile a lot.

 

The Taiwanese then turned to face her mother, as she could see her mother had restrained tears on her eyes (presumably her mother tried hard not to break down). Tzuyu could feel the heat touch when her mother patted her cheeks as the older woman smiled at her. Tzuyu understood, even though how busy her mother always was, she would miss Tzuyu when she was not around.

 

“Don’t cry mom.”

 

Those words only ushered her mother on-hold tears to burst out. Tzuyu was then pulled into an embrace by her mother. Tzuyu hugged her as tightly. The youngest Taiwanese tried as hard as she could, so she couldn’t let her tears stream down. She reasoned that she didn’t want to showcase how fragile she was, at least not in a public place and front of her mother. Truth be told, some part of Tzuyu is not ready yet to say goodbye to her mother, to all of the memories she will leave in this hometown of hers.

 

“You know how proud I am of you, right? I’m going to miss you so much. I’m so sorry I can’t go with you now.”

 

As it seems, having a hardworking businesswoman mother is such a sacrifice. Tzuyu understands it very well. She was used to this occasion. Since she was a kid, she was left to be alone. Added to the fact she is also the only child of her family, it was ordinary to be independent. Yet, she was never once squawked whenever she had to celebrate her birthday with her nanny or be taken to school by Mr. Zhang. Tzuyu never hated her parents for this; they gave her the minimum time and attention. It’s like Tzuyu was trained to be more mature at a young age.

 

“I’ll be fine, mom. It’s not a big deal if I go there first.” Tzuyu gave her mother a soft pat on her back. “It’s okay, I promise. Just finish your task, then you can go there later.”

The older woman then pulled back from their embrace. She rubbed her one and only daughter’s cheek. Later on, she pecked the younger’s forehead. 

 

“Take care of yourself. I’ll be there when everything’s settled.” Stated her mother.

 

Tzuyu nodded in understatement as she grabbed her mother’s semi-wrinkle hand that still settled on her cheeks. Once again, the mother and daughter engage in a loving embrace. They will not be seeing each other in a long time, so this would be their temporary separation. Mr. Zhang, who stood a few meters apart, smiled while witnessing their warm moment.

 

Afterwards, Tzuyu pulled back from the hug and bowed to Mr Zhang for the last time. The young Taiwanese girl started to drive her cart and walked herself to the front gate. She gave the last wave for both older adults before she went in.

 

It is her first time flying alone, but it’s not the first time she has gone to the airport. Tzuyu checked her ticket in and proceeded to enter the waiting room. She was informed her flight would be boarding in approximately 20 minutes. She thought she still had time to make a phone call. There is someone she’d wished to call since they couldn’t come at the time.

 

Tzuyu scrolled through her contact on her phone. Then her finger pressed the green button when she finally found the receiver. The call rang to reach out for the other person on the other line. Seconds passed, Tzuyu still waited patiently for her call to be answered.

 

“Hello?”

 

The receiver’s voice was deep, slightly slumber. Tzuyu assumed that this person was not at their moral consciousness. 

 

“Hi, Dad, it’s me, Tzuyu. I- I just wanna tell you that I’m at the waiting room right now. My flight will be taking off soon, probably 15 or less.”

 

Tzuyu played with her bag’s zipper as she waited for any words from her father. There are no words uttered, yet Tzuyu could hear a faint breath on the other line. Tzuyu pondered maybe he was trying hard to be as sober as he could so that he could pay attention to what Tzuyu said. Nonetheless, the Taiwanese girl didn’t feel irked. Instead, she missed him very so.

 

“Dad, I won’t be seeing you a lot. But if I get any chance to come home, I’ll pay you a visit.” Tzuyu stated softly, hoping that her father could finally hear her this time. “I love you, Dad. Take care.”

 

Before she could end their call, Tzuyu heard her dad’s muttered, yet it was enough to be understood by Tzuyu. “I love you too, princess. Take care there.”

 

Princess, a sentimental nickname her father gave her a long time ago. It’s been decades since her father mentioned the handle. Tzuyu smiled bitterly to reminisce some faded memories passing by when he called her that. Subsequently, she ended their call by pressing the red button.

 

She continued to watch people passing by her. Her gaze settled on how most people who went past her were in a group. Ironically that makes her feel lonely in this crowded place. In the background, the airport intercom called passengers to inform the departure flight or arrival, non-stop. 

 

Tzuyu waited a couple of minutes more until her flight number was finally announced through the intercom. The information by the intercom told her to get in line, along with other passengers immediately, so they could proceed to board. Tzuyu stood up, took her bag by her shoulder, then followed the procedure. After she got her ticket checked and given permission by the guard in charge, Tzuyu walked herself into the plane. She ensured her seat number and placed her belongings into the cabin. After that, the Taiwanese made herself comfortable and pulled out her phone to play her favorite playlist — the same one she heard when she took a nap on the way — cause she was sure to resume her unfinished rest.

 

—-------------------------------------------

It’s been weeks since Tzuyu landed in Seoul. The Taiwanese tried to adjust herself to the foreign setting. She spent her time arranging her properties here and there, so they could look as presentable as it seems to be home. The girl also spared her time to polish her Korean — she took some courses back then in Taiwan — but this time, she practiced harder since she would communicate with the natives.

 

On the other hand, Tzuyu felt slightly worried about her own nutritional needs. Living alone in a foreign country was meant to be independent. That is why Tzuyu thought, aside from learning how to take care of herself independently (and practicing her Korean skills), Tzuyu needed to comprehend making a proper meal. All this time, she either brought home take-aways or made some instant ramen at her apartment.

 

That night, Tzuyu planned to have another instant ramen as her dinner. She didn’t feel the need to have a proper meal by takeaway; just an instant one is enough to save her energy and time. On the other hand, she was confident that she had already tasted almost all the ramen cup brands marketed in nearly every convenience store she went to in Seoul. 

 

The Taiwanese thought she wanted to taste the spiciness of instant ramen soup, then maybe added some tteokbokki much for her liking, with melted cheese on top of them. Just the thought of that was enough to make her drool. Thus, Tzuyu dressed comfortably in her sweatpants and grey hoodie, at the lowest part of her body, her feet, was wearing baby blue slippers. 

 

The cold night breeze greeted her covered-warmly body when she walked out of her apartment. Tzuyu felt shiver instantly. She presumed it was going to be raining later. Though it is strange, today had been bright and sunny; there was no trace of rain today. Tonight’s sky was oddly gloomy; the sky was filled with dark clouds that hid all the visible stars above.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter