One

Written in Time

I felt like screaming as his haunting eyes bore into mine; pressing my body further into the covers of the bed that I wanted to protect from this scary soul. I was engulfed in darkness, and it was slowly closing in on me and all I wanted to do was escape; to make that terrifying face go so that I would be safe. It felt like I was trapped in a room with no doors, no way to get out and that horrible creature was staring; chasing after me with his eyes.


I forced my eyelids shut, as my face scrunched up and I could feel a scream escape the cage of my lips. The tears were streaming down my cheeks, flooding each skin cell, as the high pitched, yowl that I punched out ripped the blackness that surrounded me.
 

A sudden movement made my eyes, themselves, open, the flooding of tears causing my vision to blur, with a jewelled blind, protecting my sight from the horror world around me.
 

My voiced silenced as my small hand pushed the drops of salt water from my eyes, recovering courage. The face had disappeared, his haunting eyes no where to be seen.

A sudden, deep voice broke through my relief, “I’m sorry for scaring you, my princess.”

My eyes darted around in sudden anxiousness, trying to protect myself by seeing who had said such a thing. There was nothing there; no one there.


All I remembered hearing was a soft, muffled, “Power will hurt you, my princess. Don’t abuse it, okay?” 

 


 

Our hands hugged as we faced the dying sunset.
 

“Ready?” Mir asked, with that silly grin planted under his nose.


I was definitely ready to evade from that smelly barn yard. Who would’ve known bringing back a adolescent would involve farm work? “Yes, I want to get out of this joint.”


He nodded, and wrapped his strong fingers of his free hand around the blue locket that suspended from his masculine neck.


Smiling, I closed my eyes tightly, focusing hard on the time we were born into; the tall, metal buildings, the technological surroundings, the smells of busy people and smoke in the air, not of cow manure and hay.
As my eyes flickered, I watched as the world around us soaked into a spot in front of us, absorbing everything around it, and the world I had visualised just a few seconds previous, now en-caving around us instead.


“Agh, thank goodness,” I cried, dropping Mir’s hand and picking out long strands of hay from my long, crimson hair, looking at it disgustingly.
 

“Hated it that much, eh?” Mir laughed, stuffing his fists into the pockets of his perfectly, fitting jeans.
 

My nose cringed with a playful smile as I replied, “It smelled like cow .”


I heard Mir chuckle as he pressed a hand on my back, leading me forward, encouraging me to walk with him. I followed his orders and let him guide me.


“So then...Kimi,” I heard him mumble, a more serious tone to his voice. “Do you think that next time, we can maybe...” his voice trailed off once he had noticed the strained look on my face.


I sighed, stopping in my tracks as I felt a whole weight once again embrace my shoulders.


“I’m sorry, Mir, I don’t want to, it would be wrong,” I whispered, feeling my face drop.


I noticed then that Mir had maneuvered himself in front of me with a shocked expression on his face.
"AH! Kimi!! What’s wrong about it?? We do it all the time!”


I saw the hurt look on his face as his eyes bore into me. I didn’t want him to be upset or angry; I cared so much about him. He was my only real friend, and he had always been beside me. Still, there was something inside me telling me not to do as he wanted, no matter how much I wanted him to be happy.


I felt my body walk forward and push him aside, feeling my insides turn with guilt and hurt, knowing that he would hate me.
 

“I don’t want to talk about this,” I whispered to him behind me, knowing his eyes were just staring, bewildered, full of pain.
 

Still, I left him standing there as my feet kept on walking, uncontrollably, forward, away from someone I never wanted to let go.