NetFriends

Truth and Lies

Hey guys!! This is just an idea I've had floating in my head for a little while. Chapter one is short, to see if anyone likes it and if I should continue.....comment and sub!

 

 

Seoul, South Korea

 

Jiyong sat crossed legged on a hotel room bed, door locked. He vaguely heard someone outside knocking on the other side, but he really didn’t care at this point. It wasn’t uncommon for him to spend the entire day holed up in his room when he didn’t have anything to do. Not having anything to do was a rarity in itself, and he enjoyed it. Ther knocking was getting on his nerves but he knew it would eventually stop. People always got the hint in time.

He scrolled his phone, and popped open Kakao Talk, pressing Seunghyun’s contact and tapping in a quick message:

I’ll see everyone tomorrow.

He figured the rapper would spread the message and finally get whoever was at the door off his .

Back to scrolling, he flipped through random webpages, news, Instagram, and finally to NetFriends. That had become his newest obsession, it was a way to people watch without stepping out in public. He spent far too much time reading people’s profiles and seeing how they interacted with each other on the forum and chat server. It was a way to have a piece of freedom he hadn’t felt in years, and yes, he chatted with random people on the site as well. He figured it was harmless enough to tell a few lies about his “job” and his name, and use a fake photo for the sake of not always feeling trapped in a lonely hellhole.

 

 

Dallas, Texas

 

Evelyn folded her arms and laid her head on them, sighing loud enough that everyone around her could hear. She was tired, too tired.

“Sleepy again, Vee?” Christine asked, as she sat a cup of coffee down in front of her and dropped into the chair beside her. Evelyn just shook her head against her arms and waited a few seconds before sitting up and rubbing her face.

“Thanks for this,” she said as she took a sip, feeling life come back into her body slowly, “I just haven’t slept well since I went on night shift. It .”

“You’ll get used to it.” Christine replied as she scrolled away on her phone, smiling as it flashed back at her.

Evelyn leaned over and squinted, but Christine pulled away, telling her not to be nosey all while smiling more. “It’s called NetFriends. Its pretty cool, you can chat with people from all over the world.”

Right. She was too old for those things and told her friend this. She was 25, not 15. She told Christine this who just shrugged and stuck her phone into her uniform pocket, and began typing furiously at the computer in front of her.

“Room 7, patient’s mother said he swallowed a coin. This one’s yours, Dr. Smith is handling rooms one through 10 tonight. Enjoy!” With that Christine shoved some paperwork into her hands and waved her away. Evelyn screwed her eyes shut and walked away. Dr. Smith was such an …..this was going to be a long night!

 

6 hours later Evelyn found the nearest empty room and locked herself in it, setting a timer for exactly fifty five minutes. She hated Christine for putting the seed of that stupid NetFriends trash into her head, but she was going to check it out. How bad could it be? She could kill time on break and at home when she couldn’t sleep.

 

 

 

Seoul, South Korea

 

 

Jiyong navigated back to the NetFriends home page, “New Users!” was always broadcast in bold up front. Now, whether this was true or not he didn’t know.

New User: Vee

He glanced at her photo. She was cute in this…..not Asian way, was all he could think. She had messy, curly brown hair and big, green eyes with a shy smile and freckles. Her profile said that she had no idea what all the hype was about NetFriends, but she was here to find out. She also was listed as living in Texas. Jiyong cringed, instantly thinking of cowboys, but put that thought away. He double tapped Vee’s profile and hit ‘Send Message’

Hi Vee, looks like you’re new here…..what do you think about NF so far?

 

 

 

Dallas, Texas

 

Evelyn Jumped as the ping of her phone echoed in the empty room. She had a new message.

“Ok, I guess people don’t waste time.” She mumbled as she tapped it open and read it. What did she think of NetFriends so far? Well, she hadn’t had a chance to think anything yet. It seemed ok. Evelyn clicked the sender’s profile and it expanded across her screen.

 

Jay, 32, Seoul

Businessman. Introvert. Always up for a good convo.

 

She peeked at the photo. A clean cut, handsome Asian man with dark hair smiled back at her. He wasn’t bad looking, she thought.

 

Five minute judgement, it seems OK so far. Korea? How are things there?

 

Her phone pinged her again. Damn. She looked down.

 

Not bad, it’s cold here this time of year. Texas, somewhere I haven’t been…. What’s it like?

Oh man, hahaha, you don’t want to hear me complain about Texas.

So don’t complain, just tell me. Maybe I’ll visit someday. You never know.

Well, for starters it isn’t too cold here. Its crowded. The traffic is terrible. My job is killing me. But I guess not like Seoul. I don’t actually know much about Korea so sorry in advance for that.

You don’t like city life?

Not really. I only moved to Dallas for work. I used to live on the edge of the city when I was in college. I prefer quiet places.

I get it. Me too. I just don’t get to have peace and quiet very often thanks to my job also. I guess we have that in common.

                          Your profile says you’re a businessman? What’s your business?

The type that overtakes your life, lol. What about you?

                          Nurse. And speaking of job, I have to go. I’m actually at work right now….

 

 

Evelyn wasn’t really going back to work just yet, but the idea of getting in a nap sounded a lot better than texting a random Korean guy at midnight. She yanked a blanket over her head and curled up on the empty hospital bed.

 

 

 

Seoul, South Korea

 

Jiyong was a little disappointed that Vee ended the chat so soon, but it was whatever. He did want to talk to her more, though. He half wondered if she would message him again, or if he should message her. He probably would, but later. She said she was at work. And he barely slept anyway. Odds are he would be awake.