fin.

For Now
Please log in to read the full chapter

Melanie's phone buzzed and she felt the vibration that woke her. She sleepily picked up the mobile device and squinted at the bright screen to check the caller. It was an unknown number so she silenced the vibration and placed her phone face down again before trying to go back to bed. Unfortunately several seconds later Melanie's phone vibrated once again and she repeated her previous action. That was until she received a message notification that caught her attention. It was in English and Melanie knew all of her saved contacts that use English and this number was one she was not familiar with.

~Hey~

She read the simple message before another one came through.

~It's Jay~

She knew one Jay, but they haven't talked in a while. Before she could ponder on it some more the number sent another text.

~Please answer~

Just as she finished reading the text her phone vibrated a moment later and the same unknown caller appeared. Melanie was now wide awake, but still confused about what was going on. She decided to answer the phone a few seconds later.

"Hello?"

There was a pause before Melanie heard the male on the other line let out a sigh of relief, but she wasn't quite sure. Just as she was about to greet the male further and assume who she thought it was gonna be, Melanie paused when she heard the familiar voice she hadn't spoken to in months.

"Hey."

"Jay?" Melanie questioned in shock that her ex-boyfriend had somehow gotten a hold of her new number.

Despite not having spoken to one another in like two years, she couldn't forget his voice. There was a long pause before Jay responded.

"Yeah."

Silence fell on both ends. Melanie waited for Jay to speak as he was the one that initiated the whole thing, but the male continued to stay silent. Melanie cut to the chase to get this whole thing done and over with as she hated beating around the bush.

"How did you even get my number?"

"I asked Jake for it."

"You're ridiculous. Why?"

"Because I wanted to talk to you again."

"Oh, okay."

Silence fell on them once more as Melanie sighed.

"I know you wanted to talk, but you could've just messaged me or something. Or seen me on campus. Is there a particular reason why you're calling me all of a sudden like right now?"

Melanie glanced at the time on her phone before pressing it to her ear again.

"It's like a little after three, Jay. Kinda late, don't you think with classes later today and what not?"

"Yeah, I know, but..."

He trailed off after replying, but didn't answer her previous question. Melanie really wanted to return to her slumber, but Jay's voice broke her out of her thoughts.

"I was wondering..."

Jay trailed off once more, but Melanie probed further needing this to get situated.

"You were wondering about what, Jay?"

She could hear a deep sigh on his end before speaking.

"I was wondering if you and I could meet up in a bit."

"Like as in right now?"

"Yes."

"I don't think that's a good idea, Jay."

"I really wanna see you, Melanie."

Melanie didn't answer him right away. She processed his words and wondered if it was even a good idea to meet up at this hour and with the whole social distance thing going on that was supposed to still be intact as well. Melanie remembered the last time they met face to face was the day they broke up, but still why was she even hesitati

Please log in to read the full chapter