fin.

Neighbor
Please log in to read the full chapter

"I in' hate stairs." Serena complained for the nth time today after climbing the same set of stairs all morning.

"Ah, this can't be real."

She and her sister, Melanie, were helping their friend, Katherine, move into Katherine's apartment on the second floor. Katherine had to deal with some apartment things and was speaking with the office. Melanie went to work due to some mismanagement and had to handle the issue as the owner was out of town and she was the next person in high rank to deal with it.

"Maybe I shouldn't have told them that I would take care of the rest."

Serena rang a hand through her hair as she went down the stairs and to Katherine's car to grab the rest of her things. Believing she could carry more than one item at a time, she decided to take as many things as possible. Serena secured a backpack onto her back, a tote bag on each shoulder, lifted a medium-sized laundry basket, and some smaller bags in each hand while using her hip to shut Katherine's car door. Her friend was parked in the guest area and for now it made it difficult to carry things as it was quite a distance. Anyways, with a determined breath Serena maneuvered her way to Katherine's apartment while ignoring how heavy the items were.

She soon regretted her decision when she came upon the stairs she had been complaining about earlier. She groaned in annoyance. She bit the inside of her cheek at her thoughtless idea and that she really needed to think things through. Serena inhaled and exhaled slowly before psyching herself up to deal with it as she was already here and it wasn't like she could ask someone for help. Serena took two steps when she heard a door above her open. Soon a Golden Retriever rushed out of the home, ran down the stairs, and brushed up against Serena while she leaned to the right of the railing to help balance herself from falling backwards.

"Rocky!"

A man yelled for the Golden Retriever just as the said dog ran back up the stairs while Serena was about to continued up the stairs, but felt the dog brushed by her once more. This time around Serena went stumbling backwards and crashed to the ground with a soft groan thanks to the cushion of the backpack as the clothes in the basket spread around her.

"Oh my. Ma'am, are you alright?"

The man rushed down the stairs to assist Serena as Rocky followed after wondering what was going on.

"Are you okay?"

He lifted the laundry basket of her and setting it to the side.

"Did you hit your head?"

He continued to ask about her well-being while helping her take off the tote bags from her arms.

"How many fingers am I holding up?"

Serena eyed the concern stranger before answering.

"Two."

"Correct. Let me help you up."

Serena took his offered hands and felt herself being pulled to her feet in an instant while feeling slightly lightheaded because of it causing her to wobbled a bit just as the male helped steadied her.

"Is your head fine?"

He asked a second later while observing the female for any physical harm to her.

"Yeah, it's fine. Thank you."

She cast him a small smile while backing up to give them space. Serena noticed Katherine's belonging on the ground and squatted to gather them into the basket with the stranger copying her movements.

"Moving in?"

"Yeah."

Serena didn't bother correcting him just wanting to get all the stuff inside for now and wanting to inspect that nothing was broken or destroyed.

"I'm Eric. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you, too. I'm Serena."

"Well, Serena, I'm sorry for Rocky here. He behaves and listens well, but I think he was just too excited to go for a walk."

Rocky heard his name as he moved around the pair. Serena smiled at the dog before facing Eric.

"It's okay. Rocky didn't mean any harm."

The smiled grew when the Golden Retriever barked as if to apologize.

"No worries, Rocky. You're still a good boy. Apology accepted."

"Here. Let me help you take these up to your place."

Eric lifted the basket and took the two tote bags in his hands. Serena didn't bother to correct him once again, appreciating the help to get it done faster before Katherine or Melanie came back.

"Thanks

Please log in to read the full chapter