Of Grumbling, Pouting and Ice Cream

Of Grumbling, Pouting and Ice Cream

“So we’re done now, aren’t we?”

“Yeah, we’re done…“

“Oh, thank god-“

“…with this half of the shopping list.”

“Why are you so cruel to me?” Kyuhyun’s head flopped back in defeat, his head hitting the handle bars of the trolley he sat in.

Every week. Every week Donghae went through this - it was a miracle that Kyuhyun was so cute or he’d of slaughtered the male years ago.

Donghae glanced down, praying that he stayed patient, and looked into Kyuhyun’s eyes. “You’re the one who always insists on coming, Kyuhyun.”

“Yeah, and it’s always so boring.”

Donghae sighed, rolling his eyes as he slowly pushed the trolley through the aisle, picking up avocados and strawberries first. “Then why do you insist on coming?”

A few people stopped and stared at the sight of the two Super Junior members, Donghae pushing Kyuhyun who sat in the trolley, but they ignored them, already used to the weekly staring

Kyuhyun grinned cheekily, still gazing up at Donghae from his upside down view. “You’d miss me if I wasn’t here, but anyway, you know what would be great with those strawberries?”

Donghae gritted his teeth, feeling like a parent looking after a child more than a person shopping with their lover. “What?”

“Whipped cream so I can it off you’re di-“

“Kyuhyun!” Donghae hissed, pulling the cart to a sudden halt to glare at Kyuhyun. “We are in the middle of a shop! The middle of a shop!”

“I know that, silly.” Kyuhyun giggled, a mischievous shimmer in his eyes – one that Donghae was unfortunately all too familiar with. Then again, it’s rare to ever see Kyuhyun do something that hasn’t stemmed from a mischievous thought.

Donghae’s grip on the trolley tightened as he slowly started pushing them through the aisle again, turning into the next one. “No more ual jokes, Kyuhyun, I’m serious.”

Kyuhyun laughs and it’s so bright and happy and beautiful that Donghae’s annoyance is almost calmed.

“Seriously babe, what do we need-“

But Donghae never gets to finish the sentence because as soon as it starts, Kyuhyun also starts because they’ve just entered one of Kyuhyun’s favourite aisles. The sweet aisle.

“Donghae let’s get some of those crisps, oh, and look! Let’s get those chocolate bars, they’re my faaavourite.”

Donghae sighs but moves to the desired products, letting Kyuhyun grab them and if the way he excitedly held them to his chest wasn’t so goddamn adorable, he would have just turned around and left the store right that second.

“Anything else?” He asks, trying to keep his voice the perfect mix of patient and strict.

“Oooh why don’t we get some sour sweets, oh, and marshmallows – we haaaave to get marshmallows!”

Of course they have to get marshmallows, it would be a sin to not.

Donghae left the cart to grab the marshmallows quickly himself, chucking them onto Kyuhyun’s lap with an amused huff. “No to the sour sweets, you know I’m terrible with them.”

Kyuhyun pouted immediately. “That’s the fun of it!”

“Maybe for you-“

“It is fun, don’t try to deny it-“

“But I don’t particularly like torture so it’s a no.”

Kyuhyun huffed but looked around, searching for anything else he wanted. “You used to be so fun, old man.”

Rolling his chocolate eyes, Donghae started moving them through the aisle again. “I’m literally two years older than you.”

“Yeah, exactly, you’re old, maybe we should ask Ryeowook to get you some hydrocodone for your aching joints.

“I thought that was for coughs?”

Kyuhyun paused his attack, looking up at Donghae curiously. “…is it?”

“I think so-“

“Well anyway, point is you’re boring and old now so I think I deserve a carton of ice cream for putting up with you.”

Donghae sighed, rolling his eyes. He should start keeping a record of how many times he rolls his eyes on these trips.  “That’s like three aisles away, tell me what’s actually next on the list.”

Sighing, Kyuhyun looked at the small piece of paper in his hands, the items on the list written in some sort of whiteboard pen.

“Fine…we need bread, get the good one!”

“I always get the good one.” Donghae grumbled as he grabbed their agreed favourite brand of bread.

“And then it says we need some sour sweets!”

Donghae simply glared down at him and Kyuhyun huffed, blowing a strand of brunette hair out of his eyes.

“So boring…we need some…” Kyuhyun squinted, trying to read a mass of scribbles. “What’s that say?”

Taking a peak, Donghae rolled his eyes. Fourth time that day. “That’s one of your weird doodles.”

Kyuhyun gasped. “I think you mean beautiful doodles!”

“You thought it was part of the shopping list!” Donghae grumbled, finally having enough and snatching the shopping list out of Kyuhyun’s hands, ignoring how Kyuhyun now looked like a child who had lost his favourite toy.

“You are not coming next week…”

Sighing exasperatedly – Donghae rolled his eyes (fifth time) because he should be the one sighing – Kyuhyun dramatically pouted, leaning against the side of the trolley.

“Don’t pout, Kyuhyun.”

“I can pout if I want to!”

“It’s not gonna make me give in.”

“Fine.” And Kyuhyun actually fell silent for a few (worrying) seconds before: “Oh and Donghae?” Kyuhyun grinned up at him. “I still expect that ice cream.”

Donghae shook his head, resisting the urge to laugh.

Kyuhyun contrasted so differently to this store, looking so tiny and cute in the trolley with all of his favourite treats held against his chest, and although Donghae grumbled, Kyuhyun was the only thing that could actually make these shopping treats fun.

So although he would definitely make sure to grumble about how painful it was for a while, he would also make sure to always say ‘yes’ when Kyuhyun asked to go with him.

Donghae glanced down, eyes soft as he admired Kyuhyun's small form.

“I wouldn’t expect anything else.”