FIN

MEMORIES

Thunder storms were heard in a dark bedroom. It was past midnight, and he was alone on his bed observing how the rain fell hard on his windowpane near to his study table. The lights that were emitting from the streetlights outside made the raindrops visible. 

 

Ryeowook can't sleep –especially not in this kind of weather. He is also afraid to fall back to sleep as he keeps on having a nightmare. "Was it a nightmare? or a memory?" he thought. Either way, he doesn't know. 

 

Getting up on his bed, he walked towards his study table lighting his lamp; giving a small light on his dark room. Sitting on his chair, he looks in the gloomy weather infront of him as he watches the rain fall. 

 

Three months ago, it was raining like this when he got involved in an accident. He doesn't know what got into him, why did he go outside knowing that it is raining hard. When he open his eyes at the hospital, he can't remember everything... even the 2 years that had passed. 

 

He can't remember when did his friend Hyukjae started dating Donghae; Why is Heechul became clingy to Leeteuk knowing that Heechul hates the guy's guts, or When did he move out to his parent's house and decided to live alone to try to be independent. One thing that shocked him more is that he can't recall when he did stop feeling the butterflies that were flying on his stomach whenever he saw Jongwoon—his ultimate crush.  He can't process every information that his parents and his friends told him that day. He's getting afraid of what things he forgot. 

 

On the fourth day of his confinement, he started to ask questions on what he forgot but everyone seems to be afraid to touch the topic as it becomes one question one answer. He can feel the guards of his parents whenever he asks them and his friend's carefulness on the information they shared. Ryeowook might have an amnesia but he is not dumb. He can feel that they were hiding information from him so he did force himself to remember but it always leads him either nose bleeding or he will pass out. He was so frustrated that he confronted Heechul when he visited him on his 7th day in the hospital. 

 

"Hyung, can you all stop beating around the bush and please tell me all of the things that I forgot?" He beg. "I... I feel like I have lost something important and I don't have a fcking idea what it is. I... I feel so empty" Ryeowook said as he whispered the last sentence. 

 

Heechul stopped peeling the apple. He understands what Ryeowook feels but if only he could have the right to tell him that the 'thing' he forgot is actually a 'someone' that is special to him. He cannot say it as much as he wanted to but Ryeowook's parents forbid them to spill everything. 

 

"I am not in the place to tell you the details, Wook. If your memory comes, it comes. Don't push yourself to remember, '' Heechul said as he held Ryeowook's hand. Believing he will soon remember. 

 

"fck that hyung,"  Ryeowook said, tearing up. "What if I totally forgot everything? What if by the time I finally remember, it is already too late? Hyung, please tell me. I am not going to ask for more details but please tell me his name" 

 

"His name?! Do you remember him Wookie?!" Heechul excitedly asked 

 

"No, hyung. I... I just know that I was supposed to meet someone on the day of the accident" 

 

Heechul sighed. He still can't remember but he can recall what happened before his accident. Taking a deep breath he asked "do you wanna hear a fairytale? Leeteuk told me this last night and I want to share it with you" 

 

Ryeowook frustratingly looked at him "Hyung, I don't think it is time for a bedtime stories" 

 

"I know, but this one is not perfect for a bedtime story. as this one is a short story, actually" He expectantly waits for Ryeowook's agreement and the younger one just nods that makes him smile "Alright! so the story goes with... There was a young couple, both guys. a cute couple if I may use Teuk's description correctly..." Ryeowook just roll his eyes. "Ya! Ryeowook, don't roll your eyes on me. Anyway, going back to the story. They were so young and in love. but I don't think they were really that young. Is 28 young enough?" Heechul asked not to wait for Ryeowook to answer and he continued "No right? anyway, going back, Teuk said they were perfectly matched. The other one is so sweet while the other one is playful. They compliment each other but the other guy's parents don't like their relationship. They told him to break up with his partner. He can't do that as he loves him so much so he decided to move out to their parent's house and  live on his own. like, duh? He's already 28 at that time but his parents still controlled him. Anyway, moving forward to the story, His boyfriend helped him to look for an apartment. They were basically living together but the guy still has his own apartment. 

Ofcourse, there's always a storm in every relationship. there's no such 'perfect relationship' duuh. They  have fought and made up. Hell! much more of make out  if you ask me but anyway, it's their life. So, yeah... hmmm what more?" Heechul tries to recall the story that Leeteuk told him, snapping his fingers he continued  "Oh yeah! Teuk said they almost broke up" He looked straight into Ryeowook's eyes "They were in the middle of their relationship and the other one thinks that his boyfriend is cheating on him when he saw him hugging a girl and looked like a lovey-dovey. He was so heartbroken. One night, in his apartment, he drank beers to his heart's content. He was so drunk and made a stupid thing. He drove his car. Can you believe it?! He's drunk for fck sake! My gosh! he's so stupid!" Heechul nagged, releasing his frustration on the story. "I almost punched Teuk when he told me this story last night. tsk. mind you, it is also raining hard that time so, you can expect the ending. He got into an accident"  He said, ending the story. 

 

Ryeowook is speechless. "Yeah, I agree. It isn't nice for a bedtime story" is all that he can say. 

 

"Yeah, right?" Heechul said, continuing to peel the apples. 

 

"So what happened to them?" 

 

"I don't know. Teuk just told me the story until there. I'll ask him to continue later. I'll update you. I too also wants to know the ending though"

 

--- 

 

A lightning flash caused the electric power to be turned off. It was dark yet, memories flashes on him. He now remembered everything that happened in the two years. 


 

Ryeowook was alone in the cafeteria when someone approached him "Hi, sorry to bother you but, I heard you play the piano earlier and it was so good. I am Cho Kyuhyun from the IT Department..." He smiled at him and reached out his hand for a shake hand. 

 

"Ryeowook" He simply said ignoring the hand that the guy offered. 






 

"Ryeowook! Do you have plans tonight? let's go out?" Kyuhyun said, rushing to his office. 

 

"I can't. I still have a report to finish" he said typing on his computer. 

 

Kyuhyun pouts which made Ryeowook hide a smile. It's been months since they became friends and ever since then, Kyuhyun likes to hangout in his office which seems to be like an extension of Kyuhyun’s office since he is always there. 

 

"But it's Friday! we should be partying and drinking all night" Kyuhyun whined on his sofa 

 

"As much as I wanted to, I can't. Youngsun needs the file tomorrow morning and I am almost  half way on it. You can still go to a party without me, Kyu. I might take a while" 

 

Kyuhyun sighed "Fine" he said then left his office. 

 

Ryeowook stops typing when he hears his stomach growl. He looked at the clock and it was already 9:30pm. By this hour, for sure he is the only employee left on the floor. grabbing his phone, he scrolls online what food he'll order for delivery. He's almost finished with the report, why not take a break. 

 

While he was scrolling on his phone, he heard someone knock. There he saw Kyuhyun leaning on the doorframe showing him a plastic bag of takeout. "Let's eat dinner?" He then proceeded on the sofa placing all the food on the counter table. 

 

Standing up, He smiled following Kyuhyun. "I thought you'll be partying tonight?" 

 

"You know, I better stay here than to go without you Ryeong" Kyuhyun said as a matter of fact. He then hands the chopsticks and the takeout food to him. "here's your drink" 

 

"Thanks but I can do that myself, Kyu" 

 

"I know but I Knew you were hungry and tired. Let me just do it for you" 

 

Ryeowook just rolls his eyes then proceeds to eat his food. He never thought that Kyuhyun would return. This gesture really warms his heart. 

 

"Ryeong" He called 

 

"Hmmm?" He then looked at him. startled with how near Kyuhyun’s face was. "W-What" he stammered nervously but Kyuhyun still leaned towards him that made him stop breathing. 

 

"There you go. you have sauce on your face" He then wipes the sauce on Ryeowook's face and he goes back on his original position "You are such a messy eater Ryeong" 

 

"O-Oh, y-yeah. Thanks" The only words that he uttered. 

 

Ryeowook is not dumb to understand his feelings. He's starting to like Kyuhyun and he is worried that it will be one-sided –like always.


 

--- 

 

"Let's date" 

 

Ryeowook almost choked with Kyuhyun’s words. He doesn't think he heard it right. "W-what?" 

 

"I like you so much Ryeong, Let's date," Kyuhyun said holding his hand. 

 

They are currently in the Japanese restaurant where they always dine. 

 

"If this is a prank Cho Kyuhyun, you better stop before I punch you," he said, warning the younger one. 

 

"I am not pranking you Ryeong.  I am serious" He said looking on his eyes "You don't know how much nervousness I am feeling right now" 

 

"B-but Why? When... when did you feel it?" 

 

"Since day one Ryeonggu. I am liking you ever since day one" 

 

"No" Ryeowook said tearing up he can't believe what he felt about Kyuhyun is not one-sided 

 

His gestures made Kyuhyun start to panic. "N-No? Okay, I understand. You just see me as a friend" 

 

"No." Ryeowook repeated. "I mean.. No, this is so surreal. If you haven't noticed, I like you too " he said giving Kyuhyun a warm smile 

 

"Soooo... You will be my boyfriend now?" 

 

"Yes, boyfriend" 

 

--- 

 

Ryeowook was crying on the pavement. He ran away on his parent's house as he have an argument with them. They never agree on his uality. His parents always believes that he will change his mind. as if it is easy to go back straight but he was never been straight to begin with. They know it but they never accept the fact that their only son is gay. 

 

Tired from crying, he calls Kyuhyun. On the first ring, he picks up 

 

"Kyu," he said in a low voice. 

 

"Ryeonggu, where are you? I've been calling you but you were out of reach" 

 

"I'm sorry for worrying you. I am at the pavement near at the ice cream parlor" 

 

"okay. Don't go anywhere. I'll go there" 

 

"okay"



 

15 minutes later, Kyuhyun arrived and the first thing Ryeowook did is to hug him tight as he cry on his arms 

 

"Shh now. I am here.” He said, hugging Ryeowook. 

 

"I love you Kyu" 

 

"I love you more Ryeong"


 

------ 

 

Ryeowook is starting to get paranoid. He's been observing Kyuhyun lately but it seems that he's starting to get cold on their relationship. He's starting to see the signs and it worries him. Did he do something that leads Kyuhyun to fall out of love? Did he not love me anymore? There's a lot of questions in his mind. 

 

He was at the cafe waiting for Heechul but his eyes caught someone familiar –Kyuhyun. What is he doing outside the restaurant in front of the cafe? is he meeting someone? 

 

His suspicion was confirmed when he saw a girl approaching Kyuhyun. What shocks him most is that Kyuhyun kissed the girl and held her hand. The scene that he watched from his side of the cafe broke his heart. 

 

He's been spacing out that he did not notice Heechul to sit in front of him. "Ya, Kim Ryeowook'' 

 

"Hyung," He said as tears started to fall from his eyes. that makes Heechul stunned. 

 

"I should’ve read all the signs hyung. It's.. it's ing hurts"

Heechul panicked and rushed to his side comforting him. "Shh.. Wookie don't cry my dear"


 

Later that night,  Ryeowook doesn't know how he managed to get home after drinking a lot but whenever he remembered the scene earlier, he just automatically bottoms up the bottle of beer. As if he hasn't drunk enough, he opens his refrigerator to get the canned beers he stores. 

 

"Fck you Kim Ryeowook. how could you let yourself fall that hard" he said cursing himself. 

 

"This.. this is so fcking hurts"



 

Ryeowook woke up with the sound of the thunder. It's been raining hard outside. 

 

He searched his phone on the table. It has 3 missed calls and 1 message from Kyuhyun and 2 messages from Heechul. 

 

He opened Heechul's message first as it appears on the top of his inbox 

 

Wookie, call me when you get home –9:56pm 

 

"I called the lobby and said you are home. Why didn't you message me?. anyways, I hope you're okay wookie. Let's sort things out tomorrow okay?" –1:30am 

 

He open Kyuhyun’s message next 

 

"You're not answering my call. Let's talk Ryeowook tomorrow" –11:00pm 

 

Ryeowook. He did just call me by my name. something's really not right. He may be right. Kyuhyun falls out of love. 

 

He can't let that happen. He needs to confront Kyuhyun and he should tell him directly. He is tired from overthinking. 

 

Getting up on the sofa, he looked at the mess he made. empty cans are scattered on the floor, some are still on the table untouched and there's a can with half consumed. 

 

He walked towards the cabinet grabbing his keys. He almost lost his balance when he reached the door as technically, he is still drunk. 

 

Ryeowook feels the adrenaline while he’s driving. He knows he can talk to Kyuhyun first thing in the morning but he can't wait anymore as this matter needs to settle. He is tired from over-thinking and he needs an answer.  The urge to get to Kyuhyun's place ASAP, he pressed the gas pedal accelerating his speed. He did not notice that there was a truck crossing the intersection and colliding into his car. 

 

Then everything went blank.





 

Ryeowook grips his head as tears fall from his eyes. 

 

Kyuhyun. Cho Kyuhyun. 

 

Grabbing his phone, he calls Heechul. On the second ring, he answered. 

 

"Hyung, can you tell me what happens next to the couple?" Ryeowook asked. 

 

"Story? What couple? Wookie, do you know what time is it? it's ing 1:30 am! It's not time for tea stories" 

 

"Hyung, please" 

 

He heard him sighed on the other line. "okay. The boyfriend has been blaming himself for the guy's accident. He caused the misunderstanding but you cannot just blame him. He's been miserable ever since the guy got into weeks of coma and when he wake up—" 

 

"He forgot him and the 2 years of their memories together," Ryeowook said, cutting Heechul.


 

"What the actual fck Kim Ryeowook! Did you regain your memories?!" 

 

"Yes, Hyung. Do you know where Kyuhyun is?" 

 

"Oh My Gosh! Finally!" Heechul shrieked on the other line. "Look at your window" 

 

"Hyung, You probably know that it is raining outside" 

 

"Stupid. I know that. What I mean is that look at the house in front of your window. You are at your parents house right?" 

 

Confusingly, he looked at the house in front. "O-Okay hyung, I am looking at the house. what now?" 

 

"Aigoo. He's there Wookie. He's been near to you watching you from afar" 

 

Ryeowook hands felt cold. He immediately ends the call and runs outside. 

 

He did not care to grab an umbrella. He just let himself soak in the rain.



 

He hesitantly pressed the doorbell. He hope that Heechul is not playing pranks on him or else, he will face an angry giraffe when the sun shines 

 

He can hear his heartbeats and it is deafening as he waits for the owner to open the door. He's been thinking about what he should say, how he should react. Everything seems to stop when the door opens revealing a stunned Kyuhyun. 

 

"Ryeonggu" 

 

Ryeowook stares at him. scanning his facial features. His disheveled hair, his forehead, his round doe eyes, his nose, his mouth and the mole near his eyes. Yes. It is his Cho Kyuhyun that he loves. 

 

He ran to Kyuhyun and hugged him tight. "I missed you" 

 

"I love you," Kyuhyun replied.