end*

Codes

A/N: Hello, I hope you guys enjoy it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wheein woke up with a groan. It took her a few seconds to open her eyes because of how heavy they felt. When she opened her eyes, that’s when she felt the headache. She winced and immediately put a hand to massage the side of her aching head.

 

As she slowly sat up from her bed, a drop of sweat glided down her neck giving a short shiver, and that’s when she noticed she was drenched in sweat. She looked for her phone around the bed while still holding her head and when she opened her phone and looked at the time, it was a few minutes after 4. She had been looking at her laptop screen until 6 AM, this the headache.

 

She gulped and realized was dry. She then stood up and went straight to her kitchen to grab a glass of water. After downing the cold liquid, she decided to take a quick shower and change into clothes lighter than her pajamas.

 

After getting out of the bathroom and changing into her clothes, she saw her phone light up from her bed to a notification. While drying her hair, she opened the message notification first. It was one of her block mates in a programming class.

 

Wheein would be lying if she said that she wasn’t happy to receive a message from her block mate who coincidentally is her crush.

 

From: Kim Yongsun (DST185) | 4:38 PM

-- Wheein! Are you busy? Can you help me with my codes? Please, I beg of you TT

 

Wheein is an I.T Major at S University. She doesn’t want to brag but she’s one of the smart kids that other students come to seek for help. She’s always happy to help them because everyone needs support every now and then, but she also knows when to set limitations. She always told them that she would help them, but they would need to do the effort to learn something, and not just rely on being helped. Everyone understood her and made efforts in understanding further the lessons that they don’t understand with Wheein’s help.

 

She got the nickname of ‘Savior’ during her freshman year, as corny as it sounds, she liked knowing that she had helped a lot and now she’s in the middle of her sophomore year.

 

Kim Yongsun is one of her block mates, they have the same class together, DTS185, a programming class. That would also mean that Yongsun is also an I.T Major. Almost everyone in her friend group is an I.T Major.

 

To: Kim Yongsun (DST185) | 5:03 PM

-- Hey, Yong. Sorry for the late reply, just got out of the shower. Sure, what kind of help do you need? :)

 

The moment Wheein sent back her reply, it was seen and read by the recipient and was already typing a reply.

 

From: Kim Yongsun (DST185) | 5:03 PM

-- OMG YES! Thank you! You’re a grade savior! I’ll send you my codes. Can you look them over? I keep getting the same error and I don’t know what’s wrong TT

 

To: Kim Yongsun (DST185) | 5:04 PM

-- Alright. Lemme just open my laptop. Mail them over to me. Attach the error message too so I could see

 

From: Kim Yongsun (DST185) | 5:05 PM

-- I can never thank you enough, Wheein TT you truly are an angel <3

 

Wheein could only chuckle at Yongsun’s last message. It gave her stomach small butterflies.

 

“Anything for you, Yongsun.” She whispered to herself as she went out of her bedroom to her laptop that was on the dining table. She went to her medicine cabinet as her headache let itself known again. ‘I guess it’s not the heat then.’ She thought.

 

After drinking medicine and getting a tumbler of water, she sat in front of her laptop and booted it up. Her phone lit up again from a message notification from Yongsun.

 

From: Kim Yongsun (DST185) | 5:11 PM

-- I’ve already sent the codes and screenshots to your email Wheeinie~

 

To: Kim Yongsun (DST185) | 5:12 PM

-- Okay. I’ll check them out right now. Wait for a while

 

When Wheein was reading the lines of codes that Yongsun sent her, her phone rang signaling that someone was calling her. It was Yongsun. Her eyes widened for a moment when she realized it was a video call and fixed her hair to appear presentable. She was only in an oversized muscle tee and her long black hair was a bit disheveled from not being able to comb through it earlier. When she thought she looked presentable enough, she accepted Yongsun’s video call.

 

Wheein leaned her phone on her laptop’s screen, front camera facing her. There was shuffling on the other end and moments later was showing the caller’s face. Sporting a short black hair and a megawatt smile that showed both of the caller’s dimples.

 

“Hey, Wheein-ah” the girl smiles impossibly wider. This made Wheein smile also, showing off her dimple.

 

“Hey, Yongsunnie.” Wheein replied, glancing over the phone then continued reading the code in front of her.

 

“I hope I’m not interrupting while you’re helping me.” A small chuckle.

 

“You’re not. It’s actually good that you called. I—”

 

“Missed me already?” Wheein could only blink in surprise with what Yongsun said. It took a few seconds of silence for Yongsun to break it with laughter. “I’m kidding, Wheein.”

 

“Uh, yeah.”

 

“What were you going to say earlier?”

 

Wheein cleared . “Ah, yeah. I said that it’s good that you called so you could explain better what the problem was and what you want the code to do.” Wheein’s heart was racing, a good thing that Yongsun couldn’t hear nor feel her right now.

 

“Right, right. So the problem is that the state variable is not being read correctly. That’s on line 65.” Yongsun frowned. Frustrated, since she had been working on the codes for the past hour and she couldn’t wrap her head around what was wrong. Adding to the fact that she is also doing a lot of requirements from other classes. It was a big load off her shoulders when Wheein accepted her plea for help.

 

“Okay. Let me see.” Wheein said as she scrolled to line 65 and studied the code. It didn’t take her long to find out what was the problem.

 

“Ah. I see. It’s just a simple wrong use of variable. It should’ve been the variable stateChange instead of just state. I’ll send you the revised version of that block.” Wheein started typing. She could hear words of admiration from the other girl and can’t suppress a smile that was forming on her lips.

 

“I sent you the revised one. Try it and tell me what happens.” She watched Yongsun nod and face her laptop. Wheein grabbed her tumbler and took a couple of sips. Wincing slightly from her ever so present headache. When Yongsun spoke again, she looked at her phone screen again.

 

“It works!” Yongsun exclaimed, earning a smile from Wheein. “—but this showed up in the log.” Yongsun’s eyebrows furrowed in confusion mixed with frustration. “Show me.”

 

Remember when Wheein said that “she always told them that she would help them, but they would need to do the effort to actually learn something, and not just rely on being helped”? Well, apparently this isn’t applicable with Yongsun. She didn’t care if she’d do her codes for her. Heck, if Yongsun asked to recreate her codes for her she would in a snap even in her present state.

 

Wheein was able to resolve every problem Yongsun’s code had, and now it was working perfectly.

 

“Wheein-ah, I can’t thank you enough.” Yongsun gave Wheein a pout. Wheein could only smile, hiding the fact that her heart was swelling from Yongsun’s adorable face. “I just can’t believe that the errors were so basic. Ugh! I’m so sorry!”

 

“It’s no problem, Yongsun. I know you’re swamped with requirements. I’m happy I could help unload some weight off your shoulders. Oh, I also added some lines of code for prompts for the user, if you don’t mind. There are also comments so you know what they do. Do you have other problems that needs help?” Wheein asked, closing some tabs in her browser.

 

“Uhm, actually there is one. Since the class is all about structure… I was kind of trying to create one with defs, but it’s botched, and I’m embarrassed to ask since you’ve done so much already.”

 

“Send it to me.”

 

“No, it’s oka—”

 

“Just send it, Yongsun.” Wheein insisted, even if her headache protested. But she didn’t let it show.

 

“Okay. I’m really sorry about this.”

 

“It’s okay, Yongsun. Anything for you.” The last part slipped out naturally that it caught Wheein off guard. She just stared at her laptop screen, pretending to do something in the hopes that Yongsun didn’t hear the last part. She heard a small chuckle from the other line.

 

“You’re sweet, Wheein. Thank you so much. Let me treat you for lunch on Tuesday? As a real thank you for helping me.”

 

“You got me at your treat. Now, let me see the botched-up code.” Yongsun laughed, making Wheein laugh too.

 

Wheein was working on the other version of the code when she noticed Yongsun just staring at her phone. “What are you doing?” Inquired the long-haired girl. “Nothing, really. Just watching you code. Has anyone told you that you look adorable while concentrating?”

 

Wheein was taken aback from the question. She got flustered and fumbled for her tumbler to hide the growing blush on her cheeks. This earned a laugh from Yongsun. “I’m kidding. I should let you concentrate with what you are doing. Go code, I’ll just stare at your cute face.”

 

“Yah! Yongsun, stop that.” Wheein pouted and continued working on Yongsun’s code. She started humming a random song while typing.

 

After an hour or so of staring at her laptop screen, Wheein could hear soft snores from her phone. When she looked at the screen, she saw the top of Yongsun’s head. “Cute. She fell asleep. Probably tired with doing her requirements.”

 

Half an hour later, she was done coding. She was proud of her work because it was clean, and it worked perfectly. “She’s going to get an A with this. A+ even.” Wheein thought to herself. After doing a once-over on the code, she saved the file as text and attached it to an email and typed in Yongsun’s email. She still hasn’t sent it, deciding that she’ll do it when Yongsun wakes up.

 

It’s not creepy. Just watching her sleep. I can’t even see her face. Wheein reasoned to herself. But she knows deep down that it was a bit creepy. She took a screenshot and smiled a little.

 

She stood up and took her phone with her. It was almost 7PM and it’s about time to make a quick dinner. While preparing, she saw from her peripheral vision that something moved. Yongsun was awake. Wheein made her way to her phone and held it up. “Hey, you’re awake. Sorry, did I wake you up?” Yongsun was rubbing the sleep away from her eyes and yawned a little. “Hi, sorry. Did I fell asleep?” Wheein chuckled, “You did.”

 

Yongsun gave a small smile. “I’m done with your code. Want me to send it to you now?” Wheein went towards her laptop. “Yes, thank you.” Wheein hit Send on the mail and waited a success prompt. Once it showed, she told Yongsun that she had sent the email.

 

“Thank you again, Whee. I don’t know what I would’ve done without you. You’re literally a godsent.” Wheein coughed to hide her embarrassment. “It’s a small thing, Yong. You should eat dinner now and rest up. I know you’ve done a lot today.”

 

“Thank you again. I’m going to hang up now. My phone battery is at 3%, yikes.” Both girls laughed as Wheein agreed that her battery’s percentage was also dangerously low. “Bye, Whee. See you at uni.” Yongsun gave Wheein a dimpled smile and Wheein reciprocated.

 

When Yongsun hung up, Wheein still had her smile plastered on her lips. It was a good day for Wheein, even though her headache keeps pestering her, she was happy that she was able to talk to Yongsun and help her with her troubles.

 

She started humming a happy tune and moments later broke into a small happy/victory dance.

 

Wheein was going to have a great sleep later. She just knows it.

 

 

--