Chapter One

Kingka High

 

     Seungri made sure he had everything before he ran out of his house. Keys, books, notebook, wallet, lunch, all accounted for. Everyday this week he forgot something, too. He wanted today to be different. He had everything he needed in his bag, but he was late to school again. Seungri felt frazzled after a night of studying into the morning; with two hours of sleep, he had a rough day ahead of him. The high schooler started to run, before realizing he wouldn’t make it, forgotten things or no. He felt the cool air blow past his legs and realized it was colder than he expected it to be. It was really freezing, colder than it ever was. He should have worn thermals underneath his clothes. Seungri began to grumble to himself about the horrors of winter when he saw him. Him. It had been the first day of classes when he heard his sister whispering about him as he walked her to her middle school. 

     “You should get to know him,” she had said.

     “Why, what’s so special about him?” Seungri had asked as they stared at the back of the other boy's head. He was tall but from behind he had just looked like any other guy; there was nothing spectacular, no aura of light or anything.

     “He’s the cutest guy in your school. Choi Seung Hyun. The only guy at your school that was admitted with no declared arts interest, he’s that cool. The pupil every school wanted.”

     “That’s retarded and probably not true.”

     “Whatever. All the guys want to be him, and all the girls want to date him.”

     “I’m sure you’re included in that rule.”

     “Of course,” his sister shot him one of her famous looks, one dedicated to letting him now how much she thought he was an idiot. “Anyway, he’s the only one in your school of age. He’s nineteen.”

     “DAMN, HE’S OLD!” Seungri exclaimed before becoming aware of his proximity to the student in question.

     “Shut up,” his dongsaeng hissed. 

     “What is he, dumb?” Seungri laughed.

     “No. His test scores rank him second in his class every time. He started late. That’s what Minji told me,” his sister bit back.

     “Whatever. I’m not impressed,” Seungri muttered. Although, few things impressed Seungri more than himself.

     “Anyway,” she continued, rolling her eyes, “Since you’re nowhere near cool enough to become friends with him, you need to watch out for him. I heard he has a really bad temper towards male underclassmen.”

      Their footsteps halted as the taller student stopped in front of him. He turned around to face Seungri, a scowl plastered on his face. His thick eyebrows fixated downward, just as his mouth was. Seungri felt his heart beat quickly and his jaw hung slightly open.

     “Could you talk about me when I’m not around?” The other male's voice was deep and even. Choi Seunghyun rolled his eyes before turning back and continuing his pace. 

     That had been a couple months ago, but the feeling of his heart beating quickly whenever he saw Seunghyun’s face hadn’t gone away, and as he walked to school this day, Seungri saw the older student off in the distance and quickened his pace, staring at his goal, the other male. He began to think of ways he could start a conversation. Maybe, I’ll be seen walking to school with him. Lee Seunghyun is friends with Choi Seunghyun. Hyung and dongsaeng. I could start with that. What a coincidence, we both have the same name, Seunghyun. How about we-

Seungri’s thoughts were interrupted with a groan as he ran into a solid body that stood about a quarter of an inch shorter than he.


     “Ugh,” was the simple and quiet interjection as the boy turned around.
     “Oh, Youngbae. I’m sorry.”

     The older student brushed his jacket off before stopping his eyesight at Seungri’s legs, his eyebrow raised.

     “You-” he started before looking up at Seungri, who was standing on the balls of his feet, looking over Youngbae at Seung Hyun who was walking off into the distance, which was growing by the second. Can’t he just move? He’s such a slacker, Seungri thought to himself, angered by Youngbae’s infamous easy going presence. Youngbae shook his head as he saw the object of Seungri’s attention. He turned around and started walking before calling back to Seungri, “You should probably go put on some pants.”

     Seungri looked down in horror.

     Dammit. I always forget something, he thought as he ran back to his house, growing red with embarrassment.

*****
     Seungri went to a school of arts, and unfortunately, it time for exams. Despite having to study hard for the exams testing them on one of the toughest curriculums in the country, all students also had to show a standard level of improvement in their art courses. It was something just as important as exams, and most students were fretting over it. In addition, classes were ranked in art fields by the faculty. The rankings were revealed on the day of the Da Vinci Festival, the biggest school festival of the year. Most students worried about the festival just as much as anything else that week. Seungri was an exception to the statement. To be honest, Seungri was only turning out as average in both academics and arts, and his parents were not exactly thrilled.

      “Seungri, you need to actually try this festival,” Chaerin, their class president huffed. “You’ll be painting our banners.”

      “No way. Not even. I have too much to worry about. Exams. My level audition. And-”

      “If you don’t try...I will kill you,” Chaerin whispered in his ear menacingly before addressing the whole classroom.

      “Listen up. The class with the best booth in the school will get extra studio time for every student. And I want my studio time.”

      “You’re supposed to lead us to victory. Not threaten us,” Seungri whined, invoking groans of agreement.

     “Just do your best,” Chaerin’s personality did a one-eighty as the teacher walked in, a smile stretching across her face and her voice becoming sweet and small. The only hint of her true nature was the glint of malice in her eyes.

     Seungri spent the rest of the class worrying instead of actually paying attention to the lesson. He really did need to score well on both academics and arts placement, he couldn’t afford to get any lower in class rank. His father was already ashamed to take him places because he was in the 40th percentile. It wasn’t until the class was dismissed that he realized he hadn’t listened to a word the teacher had said.

       Dammit. 'I don’t even know what the hell happened,' He thought. Seungri gathered his things dejectedly and walked out just in time to bump into Youngbae once again.

     “Ugh,” he was greeted with for the second time today. 

     “Sorry… again.”
   “I’m just glad you’re wearing pants.” Youngbae said with a straight face before he continued walking, his hands in pockets. Whenever he saw Youngbae at school, the senior looked like his mind was somewhere else completely. Seungri couldn’t fathom how he could be at the top of his class, let alone one of the most popular students in school.

     “I mean, he’s so boring,” he muttered to himself before feeling Chaerin’s icy fingers on his shoulder.

       “You talk to Dong Youngbae?” Chaerin exclaimed as her grip on his shoulder tightened and her nails dug into his skin.

       “Not really. Why?”

       “Why? Why? He’s only the king of the school.”

       Seungri could swear he could see the hearts in Chaerin’s eyes, and scoffed aloud in response.

       “I don’t even think he reaches the height requirement,” Seungri laughed at his own joke despite knowing it wasn’t exactly funny.

      “Ha ha. Listen, don’t talk to him. He doesn’t need to be seen talking to the likes of you, got it?”

     The question was rhetorical, but Seungri was going to answer it anyway, before he was left completely alone. Chaerin was already scuttling down the hallway, trying to catch up to Youngbae. Of the three kings of the school, Youngbae was the only one Seungri didn’t see the big deal about. Youngbae was barely even there when he showed up. He was really just completely boring. The freshman rolled his eyes as he continued down the hallway, kicking a random bag over that had been let in the middle of the hallway.

There were three kings of the school, each in a different arts department. Dong Youngbae was in the music department, and had been playing Beethoven pieces since the age of seven. Naturally, he was top of his class. It was an even bigger deal because Youngbae never studied a day in his life. He didn’t keep any real close friends to speak of with one exception. That exception was the second king, Kwon Ji Yong of the theatrical department, ranked third in his class. The lady-killer of the school knew everyone (Except Seungri, since no one knew him) and everyone knew Ji Yong. Ji Yong had already starred in professional musical productions and it was rumored he had received three marriage proposals from grown women. Which lead to the third king, Choi Seunghyun. The star of the school was second in his class and in the literary department, which most students were unaware of. It was rumored he didn't even talk to his parents and lived alone. It was also rumored that he used to be friends with the other two kings, but after a big blow up between them, he hadn't spoken to them since freshman year. 

     All the kings were known to have really bad tempers when their buttons were pushed, Jiyong being the biggest hot head in the school. The only one that Seungri had actually exchanged words with was Youngbae, who seemed to always be around to witness his most embarrassing moments while wearing a straight face, which seemed to make matters worse.

     Seungri sighed. Chaerin had nothing to worry about, he was two steps away from hating Youngbae anyway. He continued walking down the hall before hearing a voice boom down the corridor.

     “Yah.”

      Seungri continued walking.

     “You, with the dorky haircut.” 

     Seungri turned around and saw none other than Kwon Jiyong who was seething with anger holding a book bag up in the air.

      “Yah, did you just kick my bag?”

     Seungri rewound the last few minutes in his head. Yes, he had. He had kicked Kwon Ji Yong’s book bag. Kwon Ji Yong. His life started   to flash before his eyes. Ji Yong’s steps were swift and silent as he came up rearing his hand back, winding it as if the length it were pulled back was relative to the force it would bring to Seungri’s face. 

      “No one touches my things,” Ji Yong yelled angrily.

      Seungri closed his eyes and readied himself for the blow. After a few moments, when the blow hadn't come, he opened one eye to find a long hand gripping Ji Yong’s slim wrists. His eyes trailed along the long arm that the hand belonged to, seeing who Ji Yong stared wildly at, shocked at the force that opposed his.

      “Don’t touch my freshman.”

      Seungri had to replay the words over and over again. Did Choi Seunghyun just call him…his freshman?
 

I was going to post this as-is straight from the original text, but ended up editing it quite a bit. Mm, oh well. Enjoy, comment, subscribe. ^^ Love you all~