Spring . . .

Days Gone By

 

----x 

The country bus ground its way to the winding road. Leaves from the trees were founding its way to the slim branches. Some shrubs revealing their small flowers at this moment and the mist covered the pine trees below. It was a bright morning for Suzy, in her cream sweater and jeans, holding her situated on her lap. The bus halted at a bus stop and two passengers with their baggage went down the bus. Before that, the conductor collected their fare. 

It's been years since she'd go back to the small town which part of her childhood and innocence. Suzy is a staff in a boutique store in the city, having her apartment and living alone in it. Seeing the rolling hills, green fields, the familiar scent of pine trees and the view of the mist below brought back nostalgia in her. The familiar feeling of being back to where it all started. 

Kilometers has passed by and Suzy's eyes found the small town. The faraway houses made of blocks and stones. The wide green fields and rice paddies as well as the mountainsides embraced by the mist. She told the conductor that she'll stop there. 

"Have a nice day, Miss." The conductor said as he helped her got down on the bus and collected the fare. The last thing he heard was the sound of the leaving bus. The road was a bit damp and has some puddles on the sides. The medium cut grass were swaying with the wind and she  saw the old post office. 

She remembered when her family took their vacation there. She would play with her brothers on the river until the sun sets and their parents would scold them. She would spent her mornings on a green clearing, looking for grasshoppers or even butterflies. Then, she would help in milking the cow and gave it to Grandma Lorena. 

Ah. Grandma Lorena. Her hair has its white streaks, has wrinkles in her eyes yet still it's bright. Eyes that witnesses the joys and sacrifices of life through the  years. She always found herself listening to Grandma Lorena's stories about fairytales, folktales, legends and fables that she always love to hear. 

She remembered Grandma Lorena's only grandson. The boy who has the sunny smile, the one who carried her on his back and kept on balancing himself on the paddy until they laughed their heart out after they slumped on the palay. And got scolded by some farmers. And they would ran away and cleaned themselves on the river. 

Suzy visited there with no exact reasons. She was there because she missed the place. She missed the green things and the simple life. It was spring now in her city, the temperate zone while here, a tropical all throughout. 

Spring was Suzy's favorite season because it's refreshing when she saw how flowers blossomed, leaves appearing and the last chills of winter thrilled her everyday. 

She passed by some small houses that she remembered that was there when she was young. Even the fields, now a vegetable farm of lettuce at the back of the houses made her smile. The house that were their had been bought by a family and no way she would stay there. They were strangers. 

Hoping that she could stay in Grandma Lorena's house, for a while and see her as well. 

The house, a combination of wood in the upper floor and cement on lower located at the farthermost of a rice paddies. Beside it were a series of bamboos she used to go to if she wants some peace. For a while. 

She walked down the side of the road, trailing the direction to the house. There were some people who passed by her and didn't know her yet polite enough to greet her. They didn't seem to pry why a city girl would be there in their province. Suzy admired the violet trumpets flower beside the road and a yellow butterfly were hovering over it. Faraway, the mist were disappearing now that the sun shone brightly. The clouds were parting to and Suzanne could only sigh at how the good the weather was. 

She stopped on her tracks when she's in front of the house. There were no pocket-fence, instead, a space were some low cut grass with small white flowers on it strived. 

"I wonder where is Grandma Lorena." she whispered to herself and traveled down the stone steps. Her eyes were looking for someone. That maybe, she'll found someone familiar to her. She was still a child when she's there, every spring with her family until life began to be busy when she reached college. 

When Suzy reached the front porch, she stepped in near the door and knocked it three times. "Good afternoon, Grandma Lorena. It's me, Suzy. One of Myungsoo's friend way back childhood." 

There was no answer yet and Suzy waited for a moment. 

"Come in." came in the soft voice of an erderly woman. There was a slight fast pace of her heart, the anticipation she felt of seeing the old lady that impacted her life when she's only a little girl. 

The interior of the house were still the same. The old davenport desk were still near a counter with some dried flowers on a vase and jars of herbs. Grandma Lorena loves to collect some plants to make it some medicinal herbs useful for health, even for cooking.

An erderly woman was seated on a rocking chair. There was a knitted cloth, a color of beige, on her lap. Her wrinkled hands placed on her lap and her soft eyes landed on her, recognizing her. Suzy clutched her bag, hoping that Grandma Lorena would recognize her. The old woman looked at her, from her pretty face down to her ballet shoes. 

"Suzy, my dear." A smile of happiness spread on the old woman's face and spread also her welcoming arms to her which she instantly enveloped herself. She was a bit touch of this kind of gesture. Grandma Lorena was soft beneath her, a fragile person yet still has the warmest hug. "My, you've grown into a beautiful lady! I missed you, Su. It's been years. Oh, feel comfortable at my house. As always." 

"I missed you too, Grandma. Been years since I last visited the town. How are you?" she asked and settled on a one-seater sofa near Grandma 
Lorena. She felt at ease there and at home, like the new beginnings of springtime.

"Not so much going on here." she said, still smiling and admiring her face. "How are you, my dear?"

"I'm fine living in the city, Grandma but still it is much better here. The fresh air, how slow the time was and the green surroundings. A refreshing sight. And oh, it's spring season." she told her. 

They were having their conversation when the door opened up. Together, they looked at the new person who came inside and Suzy was surprised that it was Myungsoo, in her pleated polo shirt and trousers. He was shocked too when he see her there. 

"Suzy."

"Myungsoo." 

"I'll make you some tea." Grandma Lorena said and stood up from her rocking chair. She could walk though, in slow pace and Myungsoo guided her to the kitchen to get them some tea. Suzy's eyes scanned Myungsoo. He got more handsome and manly yet there's still his sunny aura. The bright smile and that familiar dimple. This was so nostalgic for her and for Myungsoo too. 


---x

"Remember when a pup died and you cried for its death that it took three days for me to comfort you?" Myungsoo chuckled upon remembering that innocent memory of them. They were both on the front porch, having catching up with their life while staring at the vast fields filled of crops and dancing trees with the warm wind. 

"I'm lucky though because you have to gave me a fresh milk from the cow you've milked early in the morning." she smiled and savored the aroma of the jasmine tea. 

"Had to wake up in the morning. It's tough when you're a child." he joked and sighed, feeling calm at the sight in front of them.

"You don't have to think about the insurance or your due bills that time. We were busy dancing reels under the moonlight or caught some fireflies out there in the woods. Got ourselves scolded by the elders for staying late. I missed those times and then we grew up apart and it felt like yesterday still." she exclaimed and leaned on her wooden chair. Benjamin stole a glance from her, still smiling and reached her. He let her pat her hair as if they were like before.

"You used to believe in fairytales and the creatures that you even roamed the forest to see one."

"And at a young age. You didn't believe it cause you thought that those stories were only made up." Suzy added. Myungsoo shook
his head lightly.

"I was the rational child back then. You even said that if you believe that those fantasy creatures, they will show themselves to you." 

"A child is full of ideals, Myungsoo. That's a part of me that I'm grateful 'cause I grew up having those innocent dreams."

They kept on conversing about their childhood, the memories they remembered and even their present self. Myungsoo was there because he
missed the town, even said that he also missed her as much and Suzy was happy for having Myungsoo for a short period of time. It felt like yesterdays. 

The sun was setting. The skies were a color of purple and orange which dyed the simple and quiet town. She decided to went back to the city where she currently lives and Myungsoo walked her to the bus stop. 

"This is not goodbye. I'll see you soon, Su." he said. His eyes were hopeful and Suzy reached for his face and tapped it lightly. Assuring him that they will cross paths again. "Take care, okay. I am not sounded final, right?"

She chuckled. The bus is nearing on the street and Suzy warmly smiled at him. She would miss him. "It doesn't. This is not goodbye."

"This is not goodbye." She didn't expect that he will came near hear and lightly kissed her lips. It was a feather touch. A kiss of promise. And Suzy was taken aback. 

Finally, the bus stop in front of them, opening its door. Myungsoo walked backwards, waving at her who's in pause for seconds and then smiled. 

'This is not goodbye.' she whispered to herself while watching the trees passing by the misty window of the country bus. There were still new beginnings and it would be another experience again, smelling the newly bloom flowers and the minimal leaves upon the tree.

Just like they had with each other, there's a promise of tomorrow. A springtime for each other. 


xoxo