Racebending in 2021?!

Applyfic Rants

I cannot believe that I have to say this in 2021 but please just stop with the racebending! If you are going to make a biracial OC, just use a biracial FC. You cannot just say that your OC is half-Korean and half-White and use a full Korean FC. That is literally contradicting what it means to be biracial—that you have to be more than one race. Please go back to math and biology class if you are confused. :) If you are going to insist on using a monoracial FC, then you should be making your character monoracial as well.

I feel the same about ethnicity-bending as well! For example, having a full Korean FC for a half-Korean, half-South East Asian (like Vietnamese, Thai, Filipino, etc.) character is just as bad as racebending, especially when you consider the fact that East Asian features are considered a beauty standard in many South East Asian countries. It takes seconds, maybe minutes to Google a celebrity with the ethnicity you want your OC to be, especially with all the Kpop-inspired groups blowing up in various South East Asian countries.

Considering that the Asian diaspora is sick and tired of people thinking all Asians look the same, racebending and ethnicity-bending does more harm than good because it sets this narrative that certain features are idealized or standard for an Asian person. So if you are Asian and doing this ridiculous bull, you should do some self-reflection of your own self-prejudices and have some sympathy towards your Asian diaspora. If you are non-Asian and doing this bull, you need to check your yellow fever and be a little less racist. :)

Also colorism is a big issue in the applyfic community. Even when there is a chance to use all types of races as FCs, why are you all choosing the waifish models that are all the same shade of light beige despite being different races. I just do not understand.

Last thing, when you are setting in a western country with a large multicultural population, I do not understand why you limit it to just Asian FCs? Why not set it in Asia then? It does not change anything really and it would make more sense, would it not?

Long story short, you all need to stop racebending and ethnicity-bending because it is offensive and unnecessary. I mean, I read all these applications and their convoluted ethnic makeup does not even affect their background! Your character is not ANY MORE special if you made their race and ethnicity not match their FC. You should just match it.