fin.

Fool

Chaewon’s a fool. A fool for befriending her best friend’s friend. A fool for spending all her free time with her best friend’s friend. A fool for dropping everything just for her best friend’s friend. A fool for setting her feelings aside for her best friend’s friend. A fool for falling in love with her best friend’s friend.

Chaewon is a fool for Yena.

Chaewon remembers how Yuri had dragged her to their lunch table, the same table as to where the person who Chaewon wished she had avoided from the beginning, Choi Yena.

It was awkward. It goes unnoticed by Yuri and Minjoo. Both unaware as to how awkward the other two were. They’ve never met before, so the table was pretty awkward. Minjoo first notices it as she nudges Yuri. “Right uhm, sorry about that. Yen, this is my friend Chaewon. Chaewon this is Minjoo’s friend, Yena.” Both lock eyes before shaking hands. “It’s nice meeting you even though we both haven’t said a thing for the past few minutes.” Yena jokes as she smiles.

Chaewon smiles back before nodding her head. “It’s nice meeting you too.”

It starts off really well as the awkward atmosphere soon dissolves and now their lunch table is full of laughter and fun as they told stories. Chaewon just doesn’t understand as to why her eyes would mostly be trained on Yena.

Although Yena was the oldest, Chaewon would often take care of her. Chaewon always finds herself with Yena. She’s always there to remind Yena to eat well, to remind Yena to drink lots of water, to remind Yena to not overwork herself. Yena always repays Chaewon with a hug.

Chaewon would always melt when Yena’s arms enveloped her, but this time Chaewon is stiff as she feels Yena crying silently. “Chaewon, what should I do?” She sobbed as her hold on Chaewon’s shoulder tighten. Chaewon is this time the one who enveloped Yena in her arms as she pats Yena’s head.

Chaewon till this day never really knew the reason as to why Yena had cried that hard, but she had made sure that she would always be there, beside Yena.

Chaewon is indeed a fool for Yena.

It was already late. Chaewon should be asleep right now, considering how they still have classes. So why was she pushing herself to run as to where Yena was? She ignores how out of breath she was; she ignores how she felt dizzy, she ignores everything that would risk her life as she eventually stops in front a building. Catching her breath as she enters the place, there Yena is sitting with her head resting on the table, bottles of alcohol, piling up her table. She walks towards Yena, before shaking her. “Yena, let’s go home.”

“Yul, please not now.” She slurred her words as she lifts up her head only to see Chaewon instead. Her eyes widen. “Chae? What are you doing here?” Yena feels as though she had been splashed with water as Chaewon stays quiet. “Come on, let’s go.” Chaewon ignores how Yena had said Yuri’s nickname instead of hers, she ignores the stinging pain as she helps Yena get home safely. “I thought I called Yuri..” Yena whispers to herself but because of how quiet it was on their way home, Chaewon had heard it. “You called me Yena. You didn’t call Yuri.” It was true. Chaewon was so lost when she was about to head bed but then noticed that Yena was calling her.

“What’s wrong?” Chaewon asks by the time the tax halts which meant they had already arrived at Yena’s house. “I got rejected.” Yena blurts out, Chaewon’s breath hitches as she stayed quiet. They both stay quiet as they walked. “By who?” Chaewon ignores how she feels as though someone had squeezed her heart as she looks at Yena who was starting to sober up. “Oh please, you know her.” Yena doesn’t look at her, her gazed fixated on the concrete. Chaewon feels bad as to how lifeless Yena had looked.

“But what if I don’t?” It merely comes of as a whisper as Chaewon looks away from the older. Chaewon knows who it is, but she continues to pretend that she doesn’t have a single clue. Yena breathes out a sigh before looking up and ruffling her own hair. “Yuri.” She says, Chaewon wanted to show some reaction, but instead she nods her head, wrap her arms around Yena and pulls her closer. Chaewon doesn’t say anything as they walk to Yena’s place quietly.

Chaewon knows she’s a fool for Yena.

It was no surprise that Chaewon would eventually come to a realization that she was falling for the older, however she just doesn’t know when it happened. Was it when Yena had given up her umbrella and gave it to Chaewon before running in the rain? Or was it when Yena brought her snacks when she was exhausted with classes? Perhaps it was that time when Yena was the first one to congratulate her for getting the highest score? Yena had done so many things for Chaewon that she never realizes that she was already falling.

But what if, Chaewon had already fallen for her ever since they first locked eyes?

Chaewon knew what she was getting herself into the moment she had realized that she had fallen for the older, she knew the consequences of falling in love with the older. She saw through Yena and found out who the older truly liked, but what did she do instead?

She continued to dive even deeper into the ocean of her own emotions.

She ignores the side of her that’s begging her to stop herself from falling even more. She ignores the way her heart feels like it would stop beating at the sight of Yena with the person she likes. Chaewon knew what to do, but instead she ran away from those thoughts.

She faces Yena who turns out to be staring at her “Are you okay?” She asks, this was when Chaewon was reminded that they were inside Yena’s room, Yena was on her study table while Chaewon was on Yena’s bed. Chaewon could’ve swore that Yena was on sitting on the chair.

Since when was the older in front of her? Since when did the older place her hand on her cheeks?

“Chaewon, you’re crying.”

Chaewon blinks and it was then she feels the warm liquid pouring down her face. Chaewon was quick to wipe her tears and let out a shaky breath. And so, she lies. “Sorry, it’s nothing.” Yena doesn’t buy it but she knows that she shouldn’t push the younger to tell her, so instead she hugs Chaewon. “What ever is bothering I do hope you’ll feel better.”

Chaewon breaks. She holds onto Yena as if the older would disappear. Her cries were louder now. It was then all the emotions that she had chose to set aside had come rushing in.

Chaewon felt overwhelmed. Yena continues to hug her and stays quiet.

Chaewon doesn’t blame Yena for all the pain she is experiencing right now. It wasn’t Yena’s fault in the first place. She saw all the signs, all the reasons to stop herself from falling for her.

She did the opposite. She then went on and jumped, knowing that there was no one to catch her.

Kim Chaewon is truly a fool for Choi Yena.