one

champagne problems
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One...

Two...

And then three. Byulyi was three minutes late; unusual for her behavior, she was frequently the first one to get here.

It was a blazing afternoon that scorched through Yongsun's bomber jacket while she waited for Byulyi under the bleachers of their high school in Bucheon. She clicked her tongue in her impatience, the weather making it more unbearable to wait for her secret lover. Hearing panted and gasping breaths from behind her, she turned to look at Byulyi, palms on her knees in exhaustion. 

"Hey, I'm sorry! I was trying to get away from the hall monitor—what's her name, I don't know." Yongsun raised an eyebrow at her lengthy ramble of an excuse, making the junior catch her breath before finally settling on, "I'm really sorry for making you wait, is all."

"It's fine. You just know I hate the heat." They were supposed to be in Calculus and Geography, but they had no time else to be meeting with some bit of privacy—away from the prying eyes, that would eventually turn into the speaking mouths, and they couldn't have that. At least, Yongsun couldn't. 

Byulyi laughed and loosely hung her arms on her senior's shoulders, thumbs tucked under her jacket. "You could've taken this off, you know that?" Yongsun puffed out her cheeks in defiance. "Fashion over comfort, you amateur." 

That might be true, because it was Yongsun. But she doubted her just as much, for the same reason.  Yongsun fought against Byulyi's attempt to remove her jacket, just to catch sight of her bare arm, the jacket finally slipping off of her shoulders. 

"It's... It's fine. Don't worry about it." Her definition of fine was far-fetched from Byulyi's; her right arm was covered in black and blue bruises. 

"Next you'll say you only fell down the stairs." Byulyi spoke in a low tone, staring at Yongsun through her eyebrows. The senior's face fell and she looked to the side. Quickly, she wiped at her eye and laughed it off.

"Yeah. Down the stairs. Silly me."  They could only stare at each for a few passing moments before Byulyi pulled her into a tight hug, Yongsun's head nuzzling against her chest. Byulyi's chin rested on the top of her head and kissed it softly. 

"We don't have to talk about it now." That's what Byulyi always assured her. But the day where they did talk about it has yet to come. Yongsun made it a habit to always keep it in, to bottle her emotions in fear they would be a burden to others.

"Yeah. I'd rather you kiss me than talk about anything else." Yongsun quirked her eyebrow, Byulyi chuckled at her mischief. Of course, that was what they came her for so often.

Their lips melted onto each other, sparks flying. Just like how it felt everytime; gold rushing through their veins as they held one another.

They would laugh and make jokes in between their soft, tender kisses; it was the only place they could. Forever felt so short within this time frame for the two of them, and they would have to go back to their classes to avoid suspicion.

For Yongsun's sake.

The tiny, little forevers they shared under the bleachers made all the hiding worth it. The laugh that Byulyi could get drunk on, the eyes she could drown in for eternity made it worth it.

Love worked so silly, so absurd between two young souls.

It was a little past 3 pm. After class, it was routine for Yongsun and Byulyi to be over at the Kims', the door open with a one inch gap, so her mother would be able to see them from across the hall.

Yongsun laid on her stomach on the single bed, flipping through the pages of an Avon magazine.

The two "best friends" spent their time in Yongsun's house, wasting it, mostly, by scratching the pages printed with perfume and asking the other to sniff the scent.

Other times, they would spend it like this. As soon as she finished browsing the magazines for inspiration, Yongsun would immediately try the experimental makeup looks on her lover. With her eyebrows knitted in concentration, she focused on getting the right amount of lip gloss on Byulyi's small lips.

"There. It looks nice." The girly girl shifted on the bed and pushed Byulyi to lay down, who smirked. Yongsun rolled her eyes at the incoming dirty joke.

"Come on, this is not the first time." She reached for the cup of makeup brushes on her desk and the eyeshadow palettes nearby.

Yongsun straddled the younger girl,  making sure she would be able to do at least a decent job on her eye makeup. The fluffy brush patted on a decent amount of a muted brown on Byulyi's eyelid, which slowly opened. "Not the first time you're doing God knows what on my face or...?"

The senior's face flushed in embarrassment, pink dusted on her cheeks. She shushed Byulyi with an angry expression. "Keep it down, you idiot."

Yongsun got the shorter end of the stick when it came to understanding parents. Her mother barely tolerated her and Byulyi's friendship, which was already under suspicion.

Byulyi would occasionally try to convince her to hang out at hers, but she was never allowed where her mother couldn't see. She would say what Yongsun had to suffer just to keep her wasn't worth it. Yongsun begged to differ, and it showed on the bruises that stained her otherwise perfect skin. Neither of them tried to fight their troubling circumstances, but the afternoons they stole kisses from each other spoke for themselves.

Dinner was always the most challenging part of staying over at the Kim's for Byulyi. Mrs. Kim was highly religious, and would always stare at her like she was a monster. She could never escape the fact that Yongsun's mother despised her this much. 

"Lord, we thank you for the food you have put on our table, we thank you for the family you have gathered here today. Amen." Yongsun peeked at Byulyi with one eye open, watching her mutter awkwardly to the same words. She observed how her body stiffened up whenever they were around family... or around her mother, anyway. Yongsun shared the same sentiment, always flinching at her mention or when she would step in front of her.

The meal was eaten with a painfully awkward silence, just like it always was when Byulyi was there with them. After the junior finished, she stood up to excuse herself, Mrs. Kim close behind her. Yongsun followed to eavesdrop, but her face painted a hurt expression as soon as she caught glimpse of the conversation.

"Don't come near my daughter again, you filthy creature." Hatred flared in Mrs. Kim's eyes, and Byulyi flinched. She was disgusted, evident in how the insult rolled off her tongue with no hesitation. "I can't have your kind stirring up all sorts of trouble to my family. Do you understand?"

From the corner of her vision, she spotted Yongsun's head peeked through the doorway, the same pain reflected in her glassy eyes. 

Byulyi managed to squeak out a response, "Yes, ma'am. I'm sorry. Thank you for dinner." Shame ran through her entire body as she was dismissed. When she passed Yongsun on the hallway before sulking back home, fear radiated from her. 

The next day, she couldn't bring herself to ask why Yongsun walked with a limp. Byulyi couldn't accept that this was the price she had to pay for their relationship. They did try to keep it a secret best as they could; but what secret could stay hidden for four years? 

It was only a matter of time before Yongsun could get away from the cursed house when she graduated, but prom was another subject of concern for the two of them. Yongsun was immediately excited when she found out Byulyi begrudgingly agreed to go, only if she would come with her. The night of prom, Byulyi avoided Mrs. Kim at all costs, her dress bundled up in her left arm as she ran up the stairs to Yongsun's room. An arm instantly pulled her in, her saving her fall to the floor.

"You know we're not really going, right?" Yongsun whispered to her and Byulyi nodded right away. That was always the plan. 

"We have no reason to anyway," she agreed. Her girlfriend's hair was already twisted in intricate knots and curls, her makeup half-finished. Yongsun sighed and her face fell. "You wait there for me, go get changed." 

She did as she was told and shifted in discomfort over her attire. Yongsun only complied because of her mother's never-ending pageant schemes, and for the same reason, she chose to piss her off by pretending to go and actually skipping. 

The junior sat down in silence on Yongsun's bed and fiddled with her fingers. "Here," Yongsun spoke and Byulyi was able to get a good look at her. She was wearing a simple makeup look that brought out her soft cheeks and glistening eyes. 

Byulyi's lips parted open as soon as Yongsun whipped out her lipstick and she giggled at how concentrated she was over a single application. "I love you," she told her in a mumble, afraid there was someone listening in. 

Yongsun instantly smiled and stole a quick kiss on her lips, stifling a laugh right after. "You're too sappy. We have to go as soon as we can." Byulyi grabbed her hand and stood up. The two of them tiptoed to the living room with their shoes in hand. 

The junior started to drive the moment they stepped foot outside with their heels already strapped on. "Where are we even going to go?" The realization dawned on Yongsun. Byulyi snickered and shook her head. "I've got that part covered."

They drove around Bucheon for only a few minutes, until Byulyi stopped driving at a remote location Yongsun had never been. Byulyi's gown was bunched up in her left hand, while her right reached for Yongsun. Hesitantly, she followed Byulyi deeper into wherever they were. Then, there was the comforting sound of nature. "Hey, you're not going to actually murder me, are you?"

"If I was going to do that, it wouldn't have taken me four years into our relationship. Come now."

Yongsun scoffed and sat herself down on the edge of the river, listening in to the running water. Byulyi sat down near the edge, her toes dipped into the cold water. After a few moments of no words shared, Yongsun began to talk. "I always wanted to be a singer. I'm going to do it once I turn 20. Just you wait and see, Moon Byulyi!" The ambitious woman stood and grabbed a flat rock, and flicked her wrist to watch it plop straight down the river.

"I wasn't challenging your dreams, but okay." She stifled a laugh at her lover's failed attempt. Wearing a dark green dress that awkwardly hugged her body, Byulyi couldn't be more uncomfortable for prom night, which they rightfully skipped. Like Yongsun wasn't supposed to hear her say it, she whispered, "I really believe you can do it."

"What was that?" She smiled, amused at Byulyi's vulnerability when it came to her. The taller girl scoffed and shook her head, refusing to repeat herself. 

"You're doing it wrong."

"What wrong?" With a huff, Byulyi stood from where she sat and leaned her body against Yongsun's back. 

Panicked, Yongsun flushed and stammered. "Hey, what are you doing!" It was more of a threat than a question, really.

"Skipping rocks. That's not how you're supposed to do it." Her voice was rich, coming from her chest and down to a low tone. Their close proximity made Yongsun giggle, tickled by Byulyi's breath behind her ear. 

Her hand was soon cupped by Byulyi's, guiding her wrist on how to "skip rocks properly". 

One, two, three. That was the key apparently, to flick your wrist in practice before the actual attempt. 

"Go ahead, try it on your own." Byulyi stepped a foot back, allowing Yongsun to skip a rock by herself. 

One, two, three.

The rock skipped four times before plummeting into the water. She gasped in surprise and jumped on her bare feet in celebration. 

"Careful!" Byulyi cried out, catching Yongsun in her arms. The rocks they were sat at weren't particularly dry enough to avoid accidents.

"My savior! What would I do without you?" She acted out dramatically, the back of her hand pressed to her forehead. The taller girl burst out in laughter, helping the wannabe thespian get back to her feet.

"You could easily get rid of me if you wanted. Like how your mother does." By this time, Yongsun had her arms wrapped loosely around Byulyi's neck. The junior refused to look her in the eye, head hung low.  Yongsun softly caressed her cheek, their foreheads pressed together. "I would never want that." 

She closed her eyes, and there was those soft, pretty lips she could melt into, the lips that made her knees weak. Byulyi held her closer by the hand that rested on her lower back, and there was a night sparkling brighter than whatever was happening at prom night.

Yongsun leaned in deeper to the kiss, lightly pushing Byulyi's body. A small tumble was all it took for the two of them to fall into the freezing waters of the river. 

"It's..." Eyes opened now, her teeth chattered, "cold as ." Both laughed at the absurdity of it all. Surely, neither of them would regret this night when they grew older. Who cared about getting wasted and dancing under studio lights; this was what mattered now. 

Being the more athletic one, Byulyi hoisted herself back up to dry land, sitting down on a damp rock where her dress pooled below her feet. She extended an arm out to Yongsun, whose palm slipped against hers, sinking back into the water. 

"C'mon up now. Your gown will dry easier this way... And my arm is getting tired." Byulyi heaved a breath, and Yongsun was convinced. 

They sat next to each other in comfortable silence, Byulyi looking up at the stars. Yongsun rested her head on her shoulder; their cold, wet hands sticking together. 

Mrs. Kim would be fuming mad once Yongsun stepped foot home, but the senior couldn't care less of what her mother thought right now. In the cold, winter night, she had Byulyi. She could kiss her under the stars and not care what other people would think. That was what's important, what they would look back on a few years from now.

Byulyi didn't question her absence on graduation that winter. Only a few days after had she received the news that Mrs. Kim passed away the day Yongsun would graduate. 

Just as she expected, Yongsun bounced back like nothing happened after a few weeks of ignoring her best friend and girlfriend. To some extent, it was good riddance, yet she felt sorry for Yongsun's loss. While she suffered a great deal because of her mother's heavy hand, there must have still been some good memories deep down. 

Deep deep... deep down.

Yongsun walked with a skip in her step, Byulyi being dragged by the hand across the streets of Bucheon for a snack. 

"Slow down, Yong. My knees are about to give up." She was short of breath, and Yongsun still hadn't decided where they would eat. It was just a corndog!

That's right. It was just a corndog; why was it taking so long? "Yongsun-ah. You can talk to me, you know?" 

The older of the two stopped in her tracks and looked behind her. Was she finally going to confront a difficult situation or choose to evade it over and over? 

"I'm going to Seoul for an audition." Yongsun looked genuinely happy to tell her that. Byulyi was conflicted; relief over her joy, pain over her distrust, but she beamed at the girl she adored. 

She was at a loss for words, her lips parted open. "Seriously!?" Yongsun firmly nodded, and the air between them was suddenly lighter. "Wow... That's great news, Yong. I'm glad." 

It seemed that Yongsun was glad too. Things were working out in her favor, maybe. Byulyi prayed she would get accepted and finally start her path towards her goals.

"I'm proud of you, ddun." Their fingers were intertwined, and Byulyi peppered Yongsun's fingers with soft kisses. "Don't forget about me when you become famous."

"If I become famous."

"You will." Yongsun evidently still doubted her abilities and assets, but Byulyi knew what she was capable of, and more. "Trust me, you will."

Like she had manifested it, that weekend, Yongsun called her to say she needed to move to Seoul. Yongsun passed the audition right away. Byulyi wasn't the least surprised to see the future that lied ahead for Yongsun. 

The weekends stretched on like eternity while Byulyi helped Yongsun to pack the only stuff she would need in Seoul, and Christmas came just as quickly. 

The younger girl stood outside the Kim household, a strawberry cake warming her freezing fingers. This would be the fourth Christmas they would spend in a row, and quite possibly the last. Yongsun walked out with a bright red scarf around her neck and her eyes smiling brightly.

"It's for you," Byulyi referred to the cake, implying that she should take it inside the house before they continued on for the night. She waited again, for Yongsun to come back after. Her lover instantly searched for her hand to hold while they strolled into the lively night of Bucheon. 

Byulyi became crestfallen as soon as she knew this would be the last date they could go on before Yongsun became famous as a singer. But the hand in hers squeezed so tightly, afraid she would let go. She looked up at Yongsun with adoration, but there was a pain that pinched in her chest. 

"This doesn't have to be goodbye." After watching the local fireworks and eating snacks from the bazaar stalls, they stopped in front of Yongsun's house. Byulyi waited for Yongsun's reply, but the girl only laughed, like she had told a joke.

"It isn't goodbye, you worrywart. I'd never say goodbye to you." She held Byulyi's shoulder with a gloved hand, giving her a warm smile. "It's not forever."

"It's going to feel like it." Byulyi frowned, and the tears streamed down her face. Yongsun reached her hand to wipe her cheek and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter