peace was never an option

ginger mishaps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

C H A P T E R  O N E

peace was never an option

-

"Have you seen the first year intakes, yet?"

 

Hyukjae rubs the towel vigorously against his damp hair to dry it. He groans when he notices the stains on his white towel, mentally cursing Heechul for convincing (threatening) him to dye his hair neon green. His excuse was the hair salon had a 2-for-1 deal, and if Hyukjae didn't join him he'd tell Leeteuk who actually broke the microwave in the common kitchen. 

 

That wasn't his fault either; Yesung had assured him it would be fine to microwave leftover kimchi stew in a metal bowl ("But hyung, it's metal." "So what?! There's metal in everything! There's even metal in the damn kimchi." "... If you say so."). They were lucky it was 3 am and not a single soul was awake to witness the pair freak out over getting front row seats to the fireworks show happening in the microwave. Heechul only found out because Yesung ratted them out by mistake, and ever since then he's been using the incident as leverage for anything he wanted. 

 

Yesung suddenly pops his head out of the showers after not receiving an answer from his friend, shampoo suds still in his hair. "Did you hear what I said?"

 

Hyukjae drapes the towel around his shoulders and picks up his toothbrush. "I did, I just chose to ignore you."

 

He narrowly misses the shampoo bottle aimed at his head, hitting the wall next to him instead. "I was joking, hyung! No, I haven't seen them." 

 

"They look like babies, bro. I swear one of them has to be a high school student."

 

Hyukjae doubted it, knowing Yesung has a tendency to exaggerate details. But as they walk down the hallway to their shared dorm room after their morning shower, Hyukjae can't help but agree. Especially when he notices two first-year students moving into the vacant room next to theirs as they approach closer. One was shorter, curly blonde hair framing his baby face cutely. If someone told him he was in junior high, he'd probably believe them no questions asked. The other looks slightly older, with long black hair almost touching his shoulders. They were busy moving cardboard boxes into the room, neither even noticing that in their mission they had blocked the hallway entirely with boxes. 

 

Hyukjae clears his throat politely. The dark-haired boy turns to him first, his big eyes widening in surprise. "Oh, so sorry about the mess." He immediately drops down to scoot some boxes away to make space.

 

Yesung waves him off. "No worries, we've all been there. Do you guys need help?"

 

The both of them look at each other for a bit, then nod in unison. Hyukjae and Yesung drop their shower supplies on the floor against the wall before grabbing some of the bigger boxes, carrying them into the room. The layout was nearly identical to theirs, except where Yesung's TV would be in their room, the younger pair opted for a bookshelf instead. Hyukjae silently judges the amount of Korean translated Shakespeare books he sees on the shelf as he puts the box down. 

 

"Sorry for troubling you guys," the blonde says. His voice was high, Hyukjae wonders for a second if he's even reached puberty. 

 

"It's fine, really. Hyukjae and I weren't busy anyways," his roommate drops another box right next to him. "I'm Yesung, by the way. Kim Yesung," he extends a small hand for a handshake. 

 

The blonde accepts followed by the brunette. "I'm Kim Ryeowook, this is Lee Donghae. He's 19, I'm 17."

 

Hyukjae does a double-take. "You're only 17?"

 

Ryeowook rubs the back of his neck shyly. "Yea, I skipped a couple of years."

 

The four students chit chat as they continue bringing boxes in. Hyukjae introduces himself then tells them they're 20-years-old, second-year students in performing arts. Ryeowook, in turn, informs them he's studying botany, and Hyukjae only realizes the absurd amount of potted plants in their dorm room when he hears that. The brunette, Donghae, says he's majoring in zoology. He was more reserved than Ryeowook. Hyukjae notices he only speaks when spoken to. Probably shy, Hyukjae thinks as they deposit the final box into the room.

 

The younger pair express their gratitude for the help as Yesung and Hyukjae make their exit. Ryeowook even insists to repay them for their kindness. Yesung once again tells them it's no big deal, but at Ryeowook's glare, he hesitantly agrees to take a family-size pack of chips from the other as thanks. They exchange goodbyes and come back into their dorm room, Yesung making a beeline to their snack pantry to drop off the chips bag.

 

"They were nice," Yesung says. "Ryeowook's a bit scary though."

 

"Agreed."

 

 

That evening, Heechul knocks on everyone's doors loudly, yelling at them to come out to the common room for ice breaking. Everyone that lives on the 3rd floor slowly trickles into the big room, most groggy from their midday nap. Yesung even brings his neck pillow along and clutches it like a lifeline. They take the two vacant beanbags on the floor in the corner of the room, Yesung immediately letting it consume him as he sinks in. Hyukjae notices Donghae and Ryeowook on the other side of the room, the former had tied his long locks in a small ponytail. Hyukjae feels his heart skip a beat at the sight.

 

Huh, that's weird.

 

Leeteuk's voice on the speakers cuts through his mind before he could dwell on what just happened. The man introduces himself as the resident advisor, RA for short, who's in charge of all 20 boys living on the 3rd floor of Seoul Uni dormitory. He then introduces Heechul as the vice RA, the blonde snatching the microphone out of Leeteuk's hands. 

 

"Only find me if Leeteuk's in the hospital, dead, alright?" He threatens. "As long as he's still breathing, don't look for me."

 

Leeteuk gingerly takes back the mic. "Thanks, Heechul. Before we start the ice-breaking session, can I get all the first years to come forward and introduce yourselves?"

 

Hyukjae watches as 5 boys, including Donghae and Ryeowook, shuffle their way to the front. Leeteuk hands the microphone to each person, and Hyukjae learns the 3 others that he hasn't met yet were Kim Kibum, Cho Kyuhyun and Henry Lau. The latter speaks with an accent as he explains he's a transfer from Canada, here to study music. Kibum is majoring in performing arts, Hyukjae makes a mental note to look out for the younger at campus tomorrow. Kyuhyun's voice was so soft anyone could barely hear him say he's majoring in maths. The mic is back in Leeteuk's hand and he asks the senior residents to applaud. He also reminds everyone to help the first years whenever possible, stressing on community and brotherhood. Hyukjae can feel Yesung's eye roll next to him. 

 

Heechul, bless his soul, grabs the mic from him once more. "Okay, thank you, Leeteuk. We'll move on to the ice-breaking session now. Everyone, grab a chair and bring it to the middle of the room."

 

Hyukjae stands up easily. Yesung, on the other hand, grunts as he lifts an arm up. Hyukjae sticks out his tongue at him cheekily. He acts shocked at Yesung's middle finger but grabs his hand anyway to pull him up. They grab a chair each and walk over to stand in between Shindong and Sungmin, the latter throwing him a friendly smile.

 

"What do you think about the newcomers?" Sungmin asks him as they sit on their respective chairs.

 

Hyukjae shrugs. "They seem nice enough. I talked to Donghae and Ryeowook this morning."

 

"Oh! Donghae's so sweet, he lent me his broom when Shindong broke our last remaining one today," Sungmin pointedly looks at the larger man. 

 

Shindong was too busy having an animated conversation with Yesung to notice. Leeteuk's voice comes back on the speakers, and Hyukjae pays attention as he explains the game they'll be playing. It was essentially musical chairs, but when you lose you have to share one fact about yourself. Leeteuk takes away Heechul's chair and walks over to his iPhone connected to the aux cord.

 

"Oh, and there is a prize. The last man standing will win 2 free tickets to Parasite coming out this week." The crowd

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter