A Bit Closer

The Moment My Heart Flinched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MARCH

 

    Kyuhyun opened the door to the cafe, eyes immediately searching for his object of affection. He immediately lit up when he saw Ryeowook sitting at his usual table at the corner of the cafe. He proceeded to the counter to order his coffee, all the time sneaking glances to Ryeowook who seems to have not noticed him yet, focused on typing away at his laptop. Once he got his coffee, he walked his way towards his usual table - the one beside Ryeowook’s. 

    It has been a month since he first saw Ryeowook here. Since then, he’s frequented the cafe, going there almost everyday, hoping to see the cute guy. Thankfully, Ryeowook seems to be a regular here and Kyuhyun gets to see him almost all the time. He hasn’t had the courage yet to approach and talk to Ryeowook, despite being enamored with him from the very first time. He just knew the man’s name from looking at the name on his coffee cup.

    Suddenly feeling a surge of courage, Kyuhyun took a deep breath and turned towards Ryeowook’s table instead. He stood there, heart beating loudly against his chest, waiting for Ryeowook to look at him. Ryeowook looked up, surprised. Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows, gesturing at the seat in front of Ryeowook, asking permission wordlessly. Ryeowook smiled shyly and nodded, pink tinge evidently coloring his cute cheeks. Kyuhyun smiled back and sat down, nervous and excited. Of course it’s obvious, right? There are plenty of available tables. But Kyuhyun couldn’t help himself. He feels this pull from Ryeowook, wanting to be closer despite being afraid of what may or may not happen.

    Seeing Ryeowook closer like this seems to make Kyuhyun fall for him even more. He was speechless the entire night, and just kept watching Ryeowook working. The little guy seems to be having a bad day working on something. Odd, because usually, Ryeowook just sits leisurely at the cafe, sipping coffee and browsing his phone, or hanging out with some friends. Sometimes Kyuhyun would catch Ryeowook looking at him too. But tonight, Ryeowook seems to be a bit stressed. Kyuhyun wants to say something, maybe comfort him or cheer him up, because Ryeowook’s laugh is music to his ears, and his smiles are a wonderful sight to him. Although they were never directed at him, he’s always enjoyed seeing Ryeowook have fun when he comes here with friends, or even those cute little smiles Ryeowook sometimes does when browsing his phone. But up close, even the way Ryeowook’s eyelids flutters, the way he frowns a little on something, the way he purses his lips drawing out dimples on the sides of his chin, the way he absent-mindedly pouts, the way he misses the straw of his iced coffee as he concentrates on work - all of these are too adorable and cute for Kyuhyun. Suffice to say, he’s smitten and whipped. 

    As he tries his best to not be very obvious with his staring, he remembers the first time he saw Ryeowook at this very cafe. How Ryeowook suddenly brought light in his life during his darkest days.

 

*** Four weeks ago: FEBRUARY ***

    Kyuhyun struggled to push the door open while supporting a drunk Heechul. He successfully made it past the door and seated Heechul on the nearest vacant seat. 

    “Why is it that you’re the one who’s drunker, when it’s me who’s depressed?” he muttered and eyed Heechul disdainfully.

    “So? Does that mean you’re the only one who can get drunk?” Heechul retorted with a slur. If Kyuhyun is being honest with himself, maybe Heechul got drunker than usual tonight so that for a change he can pass up on taking care of a drunk Kyuhyun, which he’s been doing for several weeks already.

    Kyuhyun heard a chuckle behind him and saw their two other friends following behind them. Shindong seated himself beside Heechul, while Leeteuk stood beside Kyuhyun, eyeing him with worry.

    “I’ll get coffee for everyone.” Leeteuk said

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter