volume 1.

Paint It All Red

Taeyong sips on his cold coffee, groaning at the realization that the now cold liquid is not holding its effect on his system anymore. He held a curse on the tip of his tongue as he tried to keep awake, pinching his sides to do so. It has been hours since he last responded to a call and that did not really satisfy his hunger for more action. More like, it just made Taeyong rip his hair in frustration as he remembered the events that took place just a few hours ago. 

An old lady calling 911, with the complaint that she saw her neighbour dragging a body from a car and towards their driveway in the middle of the night. Of course that made Taeyong sprang up in his seat, because finally, it just might be the action that he's looking for since he started his job four months ago. In his disappointment, though, the "body" that the old lady complaint about ended up being a mannequin, a freaking mannequin that the scared neighbour explained to be for his next project. 

Dejected, Taeyong assured the man that there is nothing to be scared of as he left the scene embarrassed. He thinks that maybe, the universe hates him for always getting his hopes up. But no one can really blame him. Taeyong wants to be like his father. A dedicated, hardworking police officer who saved countless of lives and brought many criminals into the light of justice. He did not sign up to run around chasing mannequines. 

Taeyong shook his head to get out of his thoughts, only to realize that he just took his last sip of coffee. He turned to his watch, seeing that he has three more hours in his shift. That means three more hours of doing rounds and wow, maybe chasing more mannequines. 

He laughed at the thought. 

He turned to his partner, Ten, who's currently typing away on his laptop, documenting the report about the call they got earlier. The Thai boy, who has been in the police force longer than Taeyong looked like a kid with his black hair thrown covering his forehead, his doe-eyes looking at the bright screen, full of life. Looking at his partner like this, Taeyong remembers just how beautiful Ten is, especially under the gleaming light of the moon. 

Taeyong bit his lip. He does not remember when he realized these sinful feelings but all he knows is that Ten can never find out. Having emotional feelings, romantic love to your partner is not professional at all. Especially when Ten is going out with his best friend, Johnny. 

Taeyong tried to ignore the pang in his heart as he continued to stare shamefully at the boy beside him. Ten must have sensed his stares because the Thai boy stopped typing, sparing Taeyong a confused glance. 

"What's up, Tae?" 

Taeyong shrugged, trying not to look shy that his partner caught him staring. He tried to think of an excuse. "Just wondering if you wanna get coffee?" 

Ten chuckled, his eyes crinkling with that look of his that always gets Taeyong's stomach tingle with weird sensations. "Are you serious? This is like, what? Your sixth coffee of the day?" 

"Don't make fun of me," Taeyong pouted. "I need more to keep me awake during these painful hours." 

Ten just laughed some more but when Taeyong threw him an angry glare, Ten shut his mouth, keeping his laughters inside. Finally, Ten just raised his hands up in surrender, making Taeyong smile in triumph because even though Ten likes to , he can never say no to his partner. 

And that just makes Taeyong fall deeper with the boy. 

After searching the area for a few minutes, the two finally found a cafe that Taeyong wanted to try for a while. After parking their patrol car, Taeyong notices many students sitting inside, their laptops open and drinks forgotten on their side as they typed away in their electronics. Taeyong remembered all those sleepless nights where he would stay the whole night inside the library or a cafe, a cup of coffee accompanying him through those difficult times. 

He misses it. Even if it was hard, even when he felt like giving up, he misses the days where his only concern is to pass his exams with flying colours. 

Taeyong shut the engine off, looking at his partner who's still writing the report, his fingers dancing fluidly on top of the keyboard. He knew he shouldn't stare, knew that the longer he does, Ten will see through his eyes. 

See just how painfully his heart is beating for his name. 

Taeyong grimaced, shaking his head to get out of his thoughts. He ruffled his brown hair frustratingly before speaking, "You want anything, Ten?" 

The said name didn't stop typing as he shook his head, muttering a soft no. "I think I've had enough caffeine for the day, Tae. I wouldn't be able to sleep if I drank any more." 

Taeyong chuckled. "What a baby."

"Johnny's baby," Ten playfully winked at the other and Taeyong just tried to throw him back a smile even though he wanted to frown at what his partner said. "Go now before it starts to get busy!" 

Taeyong got out of their patrol car, fixing his uniform quickly. He tried to ignore the giggles that girls tend to do when he's around. Tried to ignore the amused stares that they give him when he walks past them. He never really enjoyed the attention, unlike Ten who actually converses with them with delight. 

"Just enjoy the attention, Tae." Ten told him once when he saw Taeyong frown when a girl shyly placed a drink in front of him, a carefully folded paper sitting beside it. "Get used to it because someone as handsome as you will for sure get more in the future." 

Taeyong tried not to turn bright red at the thought that Ten, a beautiful human being called him handsome. It will never amount to the flirty gestures any girls can give him, he thought. 

"What can I get for you, sir?" 

Taeyong looked in front of him, a barista patiently waiting for his response. Taeyong cleared his throat before speaking. "An Iced Americano, please." 

The barista nodded, smiling once again. Taeyong took his wallet out of his pocket to pay for his drink but the barista just shook his head. "That guy in front of you actually paid for whatever drink you'd get." he explained to Taeyong, walking away to get the espresso for his drink. 

"Who?" Taeyong asked. 

Taeyong looked around and notices a tall, young man not too far away from him, also waiting for his order. The two made eye contact and Taeyong tried not to let out a surprise gasp when he took in the image of the man. He was wearing a light brown checkered jacket, a black turtleneck hiding his creamy, white skin. But what Taeyong notices more is his dimples, because damn, that guy could kill just with one smile. 

"Thank you." Taeyong finally muttered, looking away from the man because for some reason, staring more at those eyes gives Taeyong the chills. 

The man just gave him a small smile, his dimples showing once again as he nods his head and with an abrasive, yet mellow voice, he replied,  "My pleasure." 

"Jaehyun?" the barista called, interrupting the staring contest of the two. He placed the man's order on the counter and when the man moved forwards to take the drink, Taeyong realizes that the man's name is Jaehyun. 

"Jaehyun." Taeyong tried the name under his breath and Taeyong thought that it suits the man. He smiled but when he notices the man, now named Jaehyun looking at him expectantly, Taeyong realizes that he just called his name loudly. 

Taeyong tried not to shrink on the spot. God damn, he's a police officer and yet, this man makes him feel small with just one look. He cleared his throat to seem more tougher but he knows that the other can see through the act because Jaehyun smiled knowingly. 

"Yes?" 

"Thank you for the drink." 

His dimple showed its presence again and Taeyong thought bitterly about how good it looks on the other. It shouldn't look that good on someone, right? Taeyong thought. 

"No problem, Taeyong." 

As if on cue, he sees his drink being placed on the counter and the barista sending him a friendly smile as he announces, "For the police officer!" 

Taeyong gratefully took the drink and as he was about to take a sip of the bitter drink, he stops, hearing Ten's voice on his radio. "Code 8. We've been called for back up," Taeyong scrunched his nose in confusion because hearing Ten's voice so panicked makes him dread to question what's wrong. "Seems like the Trench Killer strike again."

Taeyong froze, horror flooding his face. He made eye contact with Jaehyun and saw the other frowning at his expression, clearly worried about him. Taeyong just tried to flash a reassuring smile, trying to ease the terror he's feeling at the moment. 

With a quick swipe of his radio from his pocket, Taeyong asks, "Who's the RP?"

Not even a moment later, Ten spoke again. "The father."

"How sure are we that it's the Trench Killer?" 

"Affirmative. Dispatch got called first, 10-23. They confirmed that it is him." 

Taeyong sighs, closing his eyes in frustration. This is the third victim this month and every second that the Trench Killer is loose is a chance for him to kill again. 

To take a life.

"Copy that." Taeyong began walking towards the exit, stopping midway and glancing back towards Jaehyun. The police officer caught him staring intensely at him and Taeyong tried not to shiver. 

"Everything okay?" Jaehyun asks, stepping slowly towards Taeyong. "You seem very terrified."

"Yeah, everything's fine," Taeyong assured. "Just work stuff."

Jaehyun nodded and before he could reply, Taeyong cut him off. "I really gotta go. But thank you again for the drink." 

Jaehyun smiles cooly, his eyes not leaving Taeyong's for even one second. With that, Taeyong took it as his sign to take off, leaving Jaehyun behind. 

As soon as he got back to the patrol car, Ten scowled at him and it just made Taeyong chuckle because of the cute sight. "Hey, what took you so long to get your back here?!" 

"I'm sorry I was waiting for my drink!" Taeyong excuses. "I wasn't even gone for five minutes. Calm down!" 

Ten continued pouting but let the issue go as he mumbled, "You're lucky you're my favourite, Lee Taeyong." 

Taeyong just laughed and as he was about to put the key in the ignition, he stops midway, remembering something.

He was so caught up with Jaehyun's stares and with the news about the third victim that he didn't realize it sooner.  

Something that Jaehyun said to him. 

No problem, Taeyong.

Taeyong froze. He never introduced himself to the other, much less giving his name so how did Jaehyun know his name in the first place? 

With this realization, Taeyong felt the chills from earlier crashing through his sytem again. 

 

---

 

 

hello everyone! thank you for tuning in for the first chapter of my newest story :) I hope you liked it, enough for you to crave for more hehe 

 

leave a comment and tell me what u guys think! I would really appreciate your feedback/critiques! 

 

see you next chap <3 

 

stay safe!!

 

*RP= reporting person

*10-23= arrived on the scene