Maybe, Just Maybe

Maybe... It's Because of the Pandemic

 

“We’re recruiting a summer associate this year.”

 

It was Joohyun’s first time hearing something about the intern. Joohyun and Sooyoung were eating their lunch at the cafeteria.

 

“Oh really?”

 

“Some kind of a high-achiever I might say.”

 

“How could you say that?” Joohyun asked.

 

“I've looked at her CV. She’s now taking her MBA in Canada. This one here also got her CFA level II. Plus she has worked in J. P. Morgan Canada as an Investment banker for a good 3 years," responded Sooyoung.

 

"Wow."

 

"Yes wow. I don't even know why she even bothered to go back and apply for a summer position here," Sooyoung shook her head as she munched her lunch.

 

"And for the salary? Is she okay? I mean being the summer intern—"

 

"She didn’t even negotiate."

 

"Wow."

 

"Yeah another wow. Maybe she has her own reasons."

 

"Maybe. Perhaps she wants to grasp the taste of working in a Korean private equity? We’ll never know. Not our problems anyway," Joohyun said as she cut the steak. "Say… how're you doing with Seulgi?"

 

"Oh," Sooyoung closed with cheeks reddened. "We're doing good. Real good."

 

"Define real good."

 

Sooyoung couldn’t hide her smile and continued to eat her tomato soup, “Taeyeon-ssi just told us to cool it down when we're in the office because we're practically breaking the company rules.”

 

"Good to hear,” Joohyun giggled knowing her two co-workers were practically dating backstreet because their company wasn’t a suitable place to have such a relationship due to risks of conflict of interest.

 

"Both Seulgi and I were already preparing the worst just in case….. you know….. resign."

 

Joohyun beamed a smile, "But thank goodness no."

 

"Exactly. That's why it's really good. I love how Taeyeon-ssi trusts us," Sooyoung smiled even wider.

 

“Can’t help it, you and Seulgi have been there since the beginning of Kim Capital. You two were even there when Taeyeon unnie and I started this venture from that rented apartment.”

 

“Exactly,” Sooyoung chuckled. "Why did you suddenly ask about me and Seulgi?"

 

"I just wanna know your life update. Been awhile since we had lunch like this,” Joohyun said without looking at Sooyoung and put the steak into .

 

Sooyoung brought out a warm smile. She looked radiant that day, “You miss me, don’t you?”

 

“Gee…” Joohyun rolled her eyes. Joohyun indeed missed having a mundane conversation with Sooyoung. After all, she had been working together with the HRD manager in the past two years. All of Sooyoung’s lively and cheeky nature could make Joohyun forget about any work problems during the day.

 

“I know the past few months have been hard for you. Lots of clients and investors are backing-off… withdrawing their funds. I can’t imagine.”

 

“Yeah,” Joohyun smiled weakly remembering what she had done in the past few months. “That’s just the risk of being in the investment industry, isn’t it? We’re lucky we can still have our monthly salary and keep our job.”

 

“Wise unnie as always,” Sooyoung smiled. “You’re indeed too good for any men in the whole country.”

 

“Now now…”

 

“Wouldn’t you…” Joohyun knew very well where this conversation was going. She munched her steak and tried to avert Sooyoung’s gaze. “Be interested… Y’know unnie….. To try the ladies’ night session?”

 

“There we go,” Joohyun wiped with tissue. “I’m not interested.”

 

“Why unnie?” Sooyoung asked. “Going out doesn’t mean something serious, no?”

 

“I’m way too old for that.”

 

“Nonsense.”

 

“Why don’t we just go back to the office?” Joohyun finished her lunch and packed her lunchbox. “Lunch time’s almost over.”

 

“Unnie, you’re no fun!” Sooyoung said. Joohyun just gave a teasing smile.

 

It’s been more than ten times Sooyoung persuaded Joohyun to go to the ladies’ night session in a bar near the office. Especially after the pandemic’s extreme measures have been lifted. At times, Joohyun was actually interested in going there. But eventually she thought it was a waste of time. For the most part, because the ultimate reason was looking for a “date” to fulfill Joohyun’s long single life. And she would rather not find someone to be her partner for life in a bar.

 

In the past, she was exclusively dating men. Especially back at university. She was a prima donna (note: she still is). Everyone was hovering around her. There was one time when she had a boyfriend for two years. Once upon a sunny day, that boyfriend of her asked her for , she rejected. The boy could not take the rejection, got violent and even slapped Joohyun’s face. She ultimately got disgusted and quite traumatic to start dating again. Ultimate red light even after years.

 

She had no experience of dating women just because she lost interest with dating entirely. Thus, after university she decided to focus on her career, friendship, and of course, her family. In short, the ones who were always there for her. For sure, as a human being, she still got mesmerized with other people. Be it a man or a woman. Tried lots of “hangouts” but mostly they just bored her. She acknowledged that she was reaching 30 in no time. She was now 29. At 25, she thought she would slowly walk her way to married life but eventually life just passed her by.

 

She had a good career, supportive friends, and family. All of those were enough for her.

 

 


 

Knocks were heard on Joohyun’s office door.

 

“Come in…”

 

“Hi unnie,” Sooyoung greeted her. She brought someone that Joohyun hadn’t seen before. That day was the first time Joohyun met her. “Please meet Seungwan, the new summer associate that I told you yesterday.”

 

“Ah I thought she was going to be here starting next Monday.”

 

“Nah... ASAP is better, right Seungwan?” Sooyoung turned to Seungwan. The latter nodded and smiled. Joohyun turned to look at the new intern. She looked nice, doesn’t seem like the ambitious type Sooyoung mentioned to me. But looks can be deceiving, right?

 

“Hi I’m Son Seungwan. Nice to meet you,” were the first words she said to Joohyun. Seungwan opened her mask to show herself smiling. Joohyun responded to her and did the same. The new intern had short brown hair with a set of cream blazer and pants. Both ears pierced in many spots. Left ear, two piercings and right, four piercings. She smelled cedar. Quite a classy first impression. Even the piercings were located in delicate places.

 

“Bae Irene, it’s a pleasure to meet you too.” At work, Joohyun would always introduce herself with her English name as it sounded tough in an industry where men dominated.

 

Seungwan smiled, “Looking forward to working together with you.” Joohyun smiled back. They were putting back their masks.

 

“You will mostly work with the associate team but yeah looking forward to working with you too.”

 

“Ah…” Seungwan scratched her head. “I didn’t know that. I’m sorry.”

 

Sooyoung smiled, “Bae Irene is our current VP corporate development. She’s the epitome of an Asian tigress.”

 

“Don’t listen to her, Sooyoung here just loves to blabber,” Joohyun smiled. “I hope you can enjoy your time here for… 2 months?”

 

“Seungwan’s going to be with us for 3 months,” Sooyoung responded and turned to Seungwan. “You have to go back to Canada around the end of August, right?”

 

“Yeah I have to,” Seungwan answered. “The new term’s going to start early in September.”

 

“Well, I hope you can enjoy your three months here." Joohyun said. "You’re aware that Kim Capital is a boutique private equity firm, aren’t you?”

 

“I’m very aware of that, Irene sunbae-nim.”

 

“And you’re also aware that our company is a small firm, despite having the capacity to rent in one of the busiest office towers in the capital?”

 

“That’s a great achievement,” Seungwan smiled. “Yes I’m aware.”

 

“May I know the reasons why you’d like to work here?" Joohyun asked. "I know you have told Sooyoung or Seulgi or maybe Taeyeon unnie. However I’d like to know your goal coming from your own mouth.”

 

“I want to learn and situate myself in an arising Korean private equity firm like Kim Capital. 2x returns of invested capital only in the first three years with less than 15 employees is magnificent.”

 

"You’ve done your research, huh?” Joohyun smiled besumedly. Seungwan shyly nodded. “Very well Seungwan. I wish you all the best for the next 3 months.”

 

“I will. Thank you so much Irene sunbae-nim.”

 

“Okay unnie, I’ll walk Seungwan around again,” Sooyoung said.

 

“Go ahead.”

 

Seungwan worked on the same floor but in a different room. Joohyun as the VP in her own room, and Seungwan as the summer associate in the associates’ cubicle. She got enticed a little with Seungwan's first impression but that’s just that. Nothing truly special.

 

It was 9 PM on a Thursday night. Joohyun still had some work to finish that day. She even planned to take the day off the next day, as she knew she was going to have a proper rest after pulling an all-nighter. Out of sudden, she needed to go to the toilet. The office was half empty. Probably only four to five employees including her. She was feeling a bit afraid but she needed the toilet. When she opened the door, she was surprised to see the new intern washing her hands.

 

“You haven’t gone back yet?” Joohyun asked.

 

“I could ask the same question to you, Irene sunbae-nim.” Before Seungwan answered the question further, Joohyun walked fast to the toilet room and did her thing.

 

“Do you want me to wait for you or can I just go back and leave you?” Seungwan asked as she dried her hands.

 

It was never a problem for Joohyun to go to the office toilet at times like this. However, if someone offered to accompany then why not? “Please wait if you don’t mind.”

 

“Sure.”

 

Joohyun finished her thing and washed her hands.

 

“Thanks for waiting,” Joohyun said as she dried her hands.

 

“No problem,” Seungwan responded. “Still got a lot of work to do?”

 

“You can say so. Gotta finish everything before the weekend. And you?” Joohyun raised her eyebrow slightly.

 

“I’m studying for my CFA level III. It’s nice to learn here after work, especially when I know it closes at midnight. I’d actually prefer the cafe but with the current situation I think it’s best to avoid them.”

 

“That’s cool. When are you planning to take the test? And I agree that Kim Capital can be a nice place to study especially when your loud colleagues have gone home already,” The loud colleagues that Joohyun meant were the other associates, Seulgi and Yeri.

 

Seungwan laughed at Joohyun’s remarks, “They’re loud yeah, but when they got serious… Whoop! It’s like being inside a court. Anyhow, I’ll take the test after I get back from Canada. About three months from now.”

 

“Good luck with your test. Hope you’ll ace it.”

 

“Thank you,” Seungwan smiled.

 

“Shall we go back now?”

 

“Sure,” Seungwan responded. They walked back to the office because the toilet was located outside the office. “Are you working alone now?”

 

“Yeah, my staff are already home.”

 

“If you don’t mind, can I perhaps help you with your work? Maybe I can give you a hand.”

 

Joohyun slightly raised her eyebrow, “You sure?”

 

“I don’t see why not. Besides, tomorrow’s already Friday and then it's the weekend already.”

 

Joohyun was taken aback with such a bold offer from the new intern but decided, “Thank you for the offer. But I think I’m good for today.”

 

“Okay then,” Seungwan smiled and nodded slightly.

 

“Well...” Joohyun said as she was thinking of something. “If you want to, you can study in my room. I passed level III last year. Maybe I can give you some help with your studies.”

 

“Really?” Seungwan blinked her eyes. “That’s such a nice offer, Irene sunbae-nim.”

 

“Don’t you live in Canada for years?” Joohyun asked. “It must be kinda weird for you to call someone around the same age with such honorific.”

 

Seungwan reddened, “To be honest, you’re not entirely wrong. It does indeed feel kinda weird.”

 

“Call me by my name,” Joohyun said. “And you’re Seungwan, right? Son Seungwan?”

 

Seungwan smiled and nodded.

 

“Okay, if you want to, just bring your things to my room and study there.”

 

“Ah, I can’t thank you enough, sunbae-nim.”

 

Joohyun raised her eyebrows and gave a playful glassy stare.

 

“Oops… Sorry Irene.”

 

They both just laughed it all out. Seungwan moved her things to Joohyun’s desk.

 

“Thank you so much once again, Irene.” Seungwan said. “I’m so thankful that everyone’s really nice and all on my first week.”

 

“No problem at all,” Joohyun said. “But if you want to listen to music, please use the earphones. I can stand people typing and writing but please don’t be loud.”

 

“Sure I will,” Seungwan responded. “I can’t stand the same as well.”

 

“Good.”

 

Seungwan asked out of nowhere, “Can I ask you another thing, Irene?”

 

“Shoot.”

 

“Have you eaten dinner?”

 

Joohyun just remembered that the last time she ate was during lunch time. And she was only eating salad on her desk.

 

“Uhm… Not yet,” Joohyun said. “Why?”

 

“It’s just that I bought sandwiches as I haven’t actually eaten dinner yet. Perhaps you want some?”

 

Joohyun hesitated. However, she was indeed hungry and needed something to fill her stomach.

 

Seungwan added, “Or maybe you don’t like sandwiches?”

 

“No it’s not that…”

 

“Then what’s the matter? Please take it,” Seungwan offered the sandwich.

 

Joohyun took the sandwich, thanked Seungwan and ate it.

 

“When was the last time you ate?” Seungwan asked.

 

“Lunch I think. I ate some salad.”

 

“Oh no… Please eat more, Irene. I mean you’re gonna pull an all-nighter.”

 

“Yeah… I should’ve done that,” Joohyun said as she munched the sandwich. “But things just happen, right?”

 

“I gotta disagree with that.”

 

“And why is that?”

 

“Well... You simply just gotta take care of your health.”

 

Joohyun smiled, “You’re kinda the blunt type, aren’t you?”

 

“Perks of living in Canada I think,” Seungwan cackled. “Or does that actually bother you?”

 

“Not at all… I like it,” Joohyun muttered. Seungwan said nothing. Joohyun quickly realized that the words she said might be too personal for a professional setting. Especially with a new intern. “It’s good for the business, don’t you think?”

 

“Yeah...” Seungwan nodded slowly.

 

“But thanks Seungwan. For the sandwich and accompanying me, although we literally haven’t started doing our things.”

 

Seungwan beamed a smile, “My pleasure, Irene.”

 

They ate the sandwiches in silence and got back to their own businesses. Joohyun continued doing her sales planning for the next month. Seungwan got busy with her iPad for the CFA course. They were all doing their heavy things and both didn’t feel burdened. For Joohyun, it was actually nice to have someone accompanying her “usual” lonely nights. She didn’t mind being alone, but to actually have someone by your side, especially someone who was nice enough to feed you, was not a bad idea. Somehow it gave her some kind of assurance and additional calm.

 

After being focused for around 1 hour, Joohyun decided to have a little break. She put her laptop to sleep and stretched up her hands. She peeked toward Seungwan who was still focused on her thing. She absorbed her CFA materials like a piece of cake. It was already 8 o’clock but Seungwan radiated a strong energy like it was morning. And Joohyun could even see that Seungwan got excited at times whenever she had some gotcha moment. Cute.

 

Seungwan suddenly stopped and looked at Joohyun, “Are you done already?”

 

“Not yet. I’m just taking a break but I can finish in 30 mins.”

 

Seungwan nodded and said, “Can I ask you something though?”

 

“Shoot.”

 

“Is there something wrong with my face?”

 

“What?”

 

“I didn’t see you but I could feel being stared at…”

 

“Oh…” Joohyun didn’t realize that she stared long at Seungwan. “I was just curious about what you were listening to since you were in total focus with your materials.”

 

“Ah… I was just listening to some kind of ASMR. The one I listened to was a train ride. It helped my distracted body and soul so much.”

 

“For real? Can I try to listen?”

 

“Sure… Here you go,” Seungwan gave her one of the airpod.

 

Joohyun plugged the airpod and listened to the sound. It was a soothing sound of a train ride. No wonder Seungwan got very focused with her materials. It was like being in your own world.

 

“Thank you for that, I’ll probably try your method next time.”

 

“My pleasure, Irene.” Seungwan said. “May I know the things that you still need to do?”

 

“To recheck and evaluate my drafts.”

 

“Are those some kind of reports or planning?”

 

“More like planning yes,” Joohyun said. “Gotta be extra careful in depressing times like this, don’t you think?”

 

“I agree,” Seungwan said. “Especially with the investors’ fund management. We have to manage the risks very carefully. So deep planning is a must.”

 

“Precisely.”

 

“Want me to help you with that? I mean, perhaps I can help? We can possibly save 15 mins so you can get home earlier,” Seungwan said.

 

This woman right here is indeed blunt or perhaps just a helpful type, Joohyun thought to herself. Nevertheless, it was indeed a good proposition. Also, Seungwan here had quite a neat professional and academic experience. PLUS, she was the summer associate so why on earth not?

 

“You sure?”

 

“Positive,” Seungwan replied.

 

“Okay then,” Joohyun took her laptop and re-positioned it so Seungwan could see the screen. She told Seungwan what the latter got to do. They exchanged numerous QnA as Seungwan was a very detailed person. True, the planning documents got finished earlier than Joohyun presumed. Also, she loved seeing the intern being focused with the documents. She thought Seungwan looked very charismatic and cute at the same time. And don’t ask about the cedar perfume, Joohyun could get used to it. Screamed classy and comfy.

 

“Very well, Seungwan.” Joohyun skimmed the document on the laptop and saw a lot of interesting judgments of opinion. “These are very doable and would probably entice both our prospects and current investors”

 

“I gotta thank you for your clear guidance. Ideas were popping around easily because of that.”

 

“Gee… You sweet talker,” a flush crept across Joohyun’s cheeks.

 

“I would definitely take that as a compliment,” Seungwan grimaced, she turned and stood up to look at the view on Joohyun’s window. Lights illuminating from tall buildings and empty roads. Crowded yet calming at the same time. “You got a pretty view here.”

 

“Indeed. I’m so lucky,” Joohyun moved to stand beside Seungwan.

 

“You are… I mean when I’m bored I can just look at the window and all my problems will seemingly vanish although in reality they won’t,” Seungwan giggled.

 

“Very true. Although it can get quite lonely being here all the time alone,” Joohyun replied without any further response from Seungwan. “Don’t take it wrong, I mean I love it here. But you just can’t help having the solitary feeling ‘till night, most of the time only with your works, and accompanied by silent lights of the city.”

 

Seungwan gave a warm smile, “Did you just say that I ease your loneliness for tonight?”

 

Joohyun smiled as she rolled her eyes, “I think I didn’t say that.”

 

“My honour it is then, your majesty.”

 

“Shut up,” Joohyun hit Seungwan’s shoulder lightly. They both laughed at each other. “Say… I know it’s still Thursday but would you mind a bit of whiskey now that I’m having a company? Just a bit.”

 

“I don’t see why not. Bring it on, I have high tolerance,” Seungwan smirked.

 

“Stop giving that look. I can hate you because of that,” Joohyun once again rolled her eyes and put out a bottle of whiskey from her cabinet.

 

“Quite an achievement to be hated by the VP on the first day, don’t you think?” Seungwan brought another smirk. And Joohyun hated it. She hated that smirk because the smirk felt lovely.

 

“You like playing with fire huh?”

 

“I never said anything about fire,” Seungwan giggled.

 

“Shut up talkie. Let’s just drink, shall we?” Irene poured the whiskey to both her and Seungwan’s shot glasses.

 

“I’d very much love to be your guest, Ms. VP”

 

Joohyun shook her head and couldn’t help to smile. She gave the glass shot to Seungwan. “Cheers to your first day!” Joohyun initiated the toast, followed with other cheers from the other woman. Both gulped the whiskey in one shot. Joohyun never thought that she would mingle with the cedary-yet-talkative intern. She loved hearing the intern rambled here and there. Maybe it’s because of the pandemic.

 

“Do you want to continue studying after the drink?” Joohyun asked. “If so then I’ll tell the janitor that you’re going to be here. Because my work’s all done.”

 

“Nah, I’ve finished mine too.”

 

“Great, let’s go home then,” Joohyun said. “Do you bring your car, Uber, or you take the subway?”

 

“No, I don’t have a car here. This morning I used the taxi.”

 

“Oh right I forgot you live in Canada. Where do you stay now, if I may ask?”

 

“Correct me if I’m wrong but it was probably around 6 to 7 metro stations from here. Near a university.”

 

“Chongsin?”

 

“Yes! That one!”

 

“We’re on the same line there. I stopped after Chongsin.”

 

“You take the subway, Irene?”

 

“Yes I do. Almost every day.”

 

“That’s great then. We can go back together,” Seungwan said. “If you don’t have anything else to do…”

 

“You’re sober enough to take the subway, aren’t you?” Joohyun raised her eyebrow.

 

Seungwan rolled her eyes, “I think I said I have a high tolerance Ms. Bae Irene.” Joohyun just laughed it off. It took only around 10 minutes before the two reached the subway station. It was not crowded because there were a lot of companies assigning work-from-home for their employees. Plus it was almost 9 PM. They each got a seat beside each other in the subway train.

 

Seungwan typed something on her phone and gave it to Joohyun. She gestured for the latter to read what’s on screen. Joohyun picked it up. It had a note, Let’s talk via phone shall we?

 

Joohyun couldn’t help but to smile looking at the message and typed a reply note, My my you’re quite a talker aren't you? Why don’t we use the chat messenger?

 

If I don’t talk, I could be asleep. It’s a good idea. Please put your number, Seungwan replied.

 

Joohyun had quite some thoughts going inside her mind after reading the last text. If Seungwan was not her workmate, she would take it as a step of courting her.

 

Sure. Joohyun typed her contact number and gave the phone to Seungwan. Seungwan nodded and gave a thumb-up to Joohyun. Joohyun put out the phone. Didn’t take long before her phone vibrated.

 

Unknown number, gotta be Seungwan, sent her a message, This is much better.

 

Joohyun typed back, It is. So, what do you want to talk about?

 

Uhm… Tbh it’s hard to initiate a topic here. I mean when you talk with your own mouth you can just let it out freely. After sending the chat, Seungwan looked to Joohyun. The intern slowly shook her head. Grasping Seungwan’s confusion, Joohyun giggled and replied, let’s just get out at the next station and take a taxi.

 

When Seungwan received the message, her eyes widened. But before she asked anything further, Joohyun already stood up and went close to the door. She didn’t even look at Seungwan. Seungwan followed her. Not long afterwards, they got out from the subway train.

 

“You said it’s hard to make a topic so why not take the taxi here? Our places are not far anyway.” Joohyun said.

 

“Uhm yeah…” Seungwan responded. “But I think you won’t take that seriously…”

 

“Gotta do something with your nice idea. Action speaks louder than words,” Joohyun said. What Joohyun actually meant to say was, I like talking to you. “Let’s go.”

 

They both got out from quite a crowded subway station so finding a taxi wasn’t hard.

 

After saying the destinations to the driver, Joohyun turned to Seungwan, “So… What are you going to talk about?”

 

“I’m still amazed with what you did actually. The epitome of talk less, do more.”

 

“I don’t get appointed as VP for no reason.”

 

“You have a good point there…” Seungwan said. “I have a question for you but I think it’s quite silly.”

 

“No such thing as silly questions. Shoot.”

 

Seungwan looked around like she wanted to gain inspiration, “Is your name really Irene? Is it just an English name or it really is your name? Because I have my English name too in Canada.”

 

Joohyun covered from laughing as she heard the intern’s curiosity, “Really? What’s your English name?”

 

“Sorry senior… But I believe you haven’t answered my answer.”

 

Joohyun giggled, “Right…”

 

“So?”

 

“Why do you want to know so much?”

 

Seungwan scratched her head, “Um… I’m sorry if I asked too much.”

 

“No problem at all,” Joohyun got a brilliant idea. “How about I’ll let you know after two weeks?”

 

“Is your Korean name full of secrets?” Seungwan frowned. “Are you a public figure or something?”

 

Joohyun just gave a hearty laugh. “Well… People will usually know my Korean name after two weeks.”

 

“And why is that?”

 

“No special reason or you can just find it yourself from anyone’s mouth.”

 

“Okay,” Seungwan squealed. “I’ll take the challenge.”

 

After that day, they spent their time together even more in the next week. Evening sessions inside Joohyun’s office room, going home togethereach already knew each other's home, and at least a phone call each day just to talk. Joohyun felt terribly happy and comfortable. Once again, maybe it’s because of the pandemic.

 


 

“You’re gonna have a sandwich?” Sooyoung prepared her lunch box which contained bibimbap. “For lunch?”

 

“I am,” Joohyun answered as she hummed a little.

 

“Quite unusual.”

 

“Well... Seungwan promised to bring me her homemade sandwich.”

 

“Pardon me... She what?” Sooyoung looked surprised.

 

“Why do you act like it’s a big deal?”

 

Sooyoung giggled, “It’s nothing. The rumours are true then.”

 

“What rumour?”

 

“Unnie… It’s a public secret that you’re getting quite close with our new intern.”

 

“Please elaborate.”

 

“Come on. I heard from the janitor that last week Seungwan and you spent every evening ‘til late in the office.”

 

“We gotta do some tasks,” Joohyun replied calmly.

 

“Huh? What tasks?”

 

“Not everyday indeed but Seungwan needed to take CFA.”

 

“And...?” Sooyoung eyed suspiciously.

 

“I agreed to teach her some. The best way to learn is to teach, right? I could retain my CFA knowledge better.”

 

“Oh don’t give me that,” Sooyoung sticked her tongue.

 

“Gee just eat, Park Sooyoung!” Joohyun took a bit of her sandwich. She instantly smiled after she munched the bite slowly.

 

“How’s the taste?” Sooyoung asked with a mocking face. “Must be delicious, it shows clearly on your face.”

 

“EAT OR YOU WON’T EVER STEP INSIDE MY OFFICE ANYMORE!” Sooyoung just laughed out loud seeing her pressed unnie.

 


 

It was finally reaching night on a Friday again. Joohyun and Seungwan decided to have some drinks inside Joohyun’s office. Seungwan opened the red wine bottle and poured it to both respective glasses.

 

“Quite a week, isn’t it?” Joohyun started the convo before sipping her wine.

 

Seungwan let out a breath of relief, “It is... Indeed. But the team’s really great. I'm very lucky.”

 

“Good to hear,” Joohyun responded. “Now, can I ask quite a personal question?”

 

“Go ahead.”

 

“Why don’t you take your summer internship in Canada? Canada’s got a lot of interesting opportunities, I believe,” Joohyun sipped her wine as she stood by her office window and looked to the quiet lights.

 

Seungwan walked to stand beside Joohyun, eyes also looking to the quiet streets, “May I know the purpose of your question, sunbae-nim?”

 

“Simply curious. You can even go to NYC easier.”

 

Seungwan giggled, “True. Wall street, right?” Joohyun nodded. “How about this? I’ll answer the reason at the same time when you told me your Korean name?”

 

“Oh... you’re getting braver to tease your senior.”

 

“Oh... you’re using the senior card now?”

 

Joohyun rolled her eyes. She took a used paper, crumpled it and threw to Seungwan.

 

“Whattt?”

 

Joohyun just laughed it off. However she got confused when Seungwan suddenly put their glasses to her desk and reached to her closer and closer, “Seungwan what are you--”

 

Seungwan tickled Joohyun everywhere and the latter couldn’t stop her laugh, “Geez just stop, intern!”

 

“This is what a demanding senior deserves,” Seungwan ticked her tongue. Joohyun tried to fight back. Although in reality, she just laughed it off and hit Seungwan lightly. As their bodies got even closer, she could smell Seungwan’s cedar perfume. Pleasant and woody-sweet. She felt very delightful at the moment. They eventually both got tired of laughing and all the tickling. Joohyun didn’t know why she and the intern did such a childish thing. Probably... Maybe... it’s because of the pandemic.

 

Seungwan let out a gasping breath, “Shall we go home now?”

 

“Yeah we should.”

 

Seungwan grabbed her wine and drank it thoroughly. Joohyun was shocked. She poured it again to have another one. Full. When she put her glass to , Joohyun grabbed her hand, “Stop Seungwan. It’s not good for your health.”

 

“I’m okay Irene. I think you know I have quite a high tolerance.”

 

“It’s red wine. And you’re drinking it a glass full.”

 

“I know.”

 

Joohyun let go of her hand and Seungwan drank it again thoroughly. She shook her head as she put the glass, “Let’s go back home.”

 

That day they decided to take the taxi because they were drinking. And Joohyun was worried about Seungwan because she drank quite a heavy amount of wine. In the past few days, when they got back home together, Seungwan always insisted on going to Joohyun’s apartment first. “Had to respect my senior,” were the key words whenever Joohyun tried to reject the offer. The drive back home was a very quiet one. Seungwan’s unusual silence added the quiet ambience.

 

It was almost becoming a habit for Seungwan to assist Joohyun until the latter reached her apartment door. When Joohyun looked for her door key, she peeked and realized that Seungwan looked very tired and pressed her forehead.

 

“Seungwan, are you okay?”

 

“Hm?” Seungwan blinked her eyes and stopped pressing her forehead. “I’m okay.”

 

“You’re definitely not okay.”

 

“Maybe I’m just being sleepy. I slept only mostly for three hours a day since I arrived here.”

 

Joohyun unlocked her apartment’s door, “Want to stay here until you get better?”

 

“Nah... It’s okay. Just a casual headache.”

 

“No headache is casual, Seungwan.”

 

“I’m okay really,” Seungwan said and bid goodbye. “See you soon sunbae-nim.”

 

The way Seungwan walked to the elevator was very not convincing to Joohyun. And it was past midnight. Joohyun reached Seungwan, “You’re staying.”

 

“I’m okay, Irene.”

 

“Don’t be stubborn,” Joohyun said. “Did you have dinner?”

 

Seungwan shook her head slowly.

 

“Figured.”

 

Joohyun made a simple egg drop soup for Seungwan to eat. Seungwan asked to help her but she just shushed the intern and told her to wait on the couch.

 

“How’s the soup?”

 

Seungwan took a slurp, “Magnum opus.”

 

Joohyun rolled her eyes, “Silly.”

 

Seungwan smiled, “It’s true, really. I love it. Thank you your highness sunbae-nim. I’m sorry to bother you. You actually don’t have to

 

“It’s freakin’ 1 am my head’s too tired for another yadda yadda.”

 

Seungwan laughed, “But I really mean it though. Thank you for the food.”

 

“No problem at all,” Joohyun replied. “I don’t mean to be an or something but can I ask something?”

 

“You can ask me anything. Shoot.”

 

“Do you actually drink as much as you did back in my office today?”

 

Seungwan looked at her bowl and slurped a bit of the soup, “Unfortunately, yes.” She darted her eyes and looked deep at Joohyun’s eyes. “There’s a reason for that… But I’m not yet ready to tell you.”

 

“VVPM?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Very Very Personal Matters?”

 

Seungwan smiled shyly, “That is cheesy, Ms. Bae. It is… Kind of. I wanted to tell you but I think not for now…”

 

“That’s alright. Your secrets, your rights to do anything with it.”

 

Seungwan said with a cutesy voice, “Irene unnie is so wise.”

 

“Stop!!!” Joohyun wouldn’t admit that the cutesy actually matched Seungwan. Seungwan just gave a hearty laugh but her hands would automatically move to massage her forehead. “You gotta stay here. I’m afraid you would pass out in the street.”

 

“But

 

“No buts,” Joohyun said, gave a sign to follow her into her bedroom.

 

“I can actually sleep on the couch, Irene. Please I’m okay--”

 

“Seungwan, either you sleep here or I sleep on the couch,” Joohyun prepared for the pillow. As much as Seungwan found discrepancy in Joohyun’s argument, her head was just way too heavy to fabricate even a simple response. “You have no coughs or flu right?” Seungwan shook her head slowly.

 

Joohyun added, “It’s also not good to sleep on the couch with your current condition.” She also put a water jug on the bedside table, “Please keep yourself hydrated. I don’t want to be nosy but you need to tone down the alcohol.”

 

“Indeed, I have to.” They both got inside the blanket and positioned themselves. “Thank you so much, Irene. I mean it. You’re really kind.”

 

“It all will mean nothing if you aren’t sleeping by now,” Joohyun said as she closed her eyes.

 

“SURE UNNIE! I’m sleeping now.”

 

Joohyun turned her position, her back facing Seungwan, and smiled.

 


 

“You look much better now,” Both Joohyun and Seungwan jogged at a park near Joohyun’s apartment. Seungwan’s feet were the same size as Joohyun’s so she borrowed the latter’s running shoes.

 

“Thank you. I’m feeling healthy as well,” Seungwan responded. “Guess my body lacked sunshine and a little jog.”

 

They kept running in silence and decided to stop when they reached 5K. The weather was cool and suitable for jogging so they felt energized instead.

 

“This is so lovely. Thank you for everything you’ve done, Irene.” Seungwan said as they walked back to the apartment.

 

“You’re sounding like a broken record now. It’s really no problem, Seungwan.”

 

“Really,” Seungwan said as she stretched her hands. “Thank you for being supportive since day 1 up until today. I’m glad I know you.”

 

“Don’t mention it, really.”

 

“Life’s been quite hard before I started interning,” Seungwan drank her mineral water. I deliberately avoided being an intern in Canada.”

 

“And why is that?”

 

“Well… Koreans’ working lifestyle is one of a kind. I just wanted to grasp the energy and the productivity. Stereotypically speaking, though it’s mostly true, let’s just say that Canadians are more relaxed at work than Koreans in the finance industry.”

 

“I didn’t know that.”

 

“It’s just my empirical assumptions. Based on some of my friends’ testimonies,” Seungwan said. “Also...”

 

“Yeah?”

 

Seungwan smiled and let out a sigh, “I wanted to leave someone. I guess I was too attached to this someone so when it’s time to stop, it’s indeed hard to live without her presence.”

 

Her... Joohyun thought to herself. Must be a girlfriend.

 

“I left my partner of the past five years,” Seungwan continued. “You’re totally okay with me being into girls, aren’t you?”

 

Five years… Partner… Joohyun felt her heart heavy. She wasn’t sure why, but knowing Seungwan had such a deep relationship made her mind stop working.

 

“W why shouldn’t I be okay?”

 

“Nah, I mean I was kinda afraid you were against same- relationship or not.”

 

“O- of course not! Geez… You really think of me that low, huh?” Joohyun rolled her eyes.

 

“No! Not like that. It’s just that…” Seungwan scratched her head. “Your presence has meant a lot to me… I mean you helped me a lot, we spent a lot of time together, you’re being kind to me 24/7.”

 

“The last sentence is indeed an exaggeration.”

 

Seungwan cackled, “The point is… I don’t want to lose someone with a kind heart from my life just because of my fluid uality. That’s all.”

 

“Aw... You love this senior of yours, don’t you?”

 

Seungwan rolled her eyes, “I’m taking back my words.”

 

Joohyun hit Seungwan’s shoulder lightly, “You silly.” Joohyun clung to Seungwan’s arms as they walked, because she just felt like it. Seungwan didn’t even budge. “Judging from the alcohol and the lack of sleep you had, it seemed like the thought of your ex still burdened you.”

 

“Can’t say no to that.”

 

“So... Have you actually tried to let go?” Joohyun asked slowly.

 

“Look at me now here, in Korea. Quite a start, no?”

 

“Well... You still lack sleep and take refuge in alcohol.”

 

Seungwan scratched her nape, “You think I should try Tinder?”

 

“I don’t see the reason for not trying,” Joohyun responded. She felt a bit heavy with her own answer and she didn’t know the reason why. “Wanna have some light post jogging meals somewhere?”

 

“Not a bad idea.”

 

They ended up going to a minimart that opened 24/7, bought bananas, and ate it on the way to Joohyun’s apartment. Once they arrived, Seungwan said she gotta go back soon because she’s got something to do. They took a bath and Joohyun insisted on taking Seungwan back to the apartment. Seungwan hesitated at first, but Joohyun was worried that Seungwan was not fit enough. Thus, once again Seungwan admitted to defeat.

 

“Look… It’s not that I don’t want you to come inside my flat,” Their taxi has arrived in front of Seungwan’s lobby. “But my room’s a mess.”

 

“So the thing you want to do is to clean up your room?”

 

“You can say so.”

 

“Geez... I can help you with that.”

 

“No, Joohyun. Really. Thanks. It’s okay. You’ve helped me a lot, okay?”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Very.”

 

“Okay then,” Joohyun said. “No alcohol. More water.”

 

“Yes, ma’am.” Seungwan said. “Call me when you’re home.”

 

“I will,” Joohyun responded.

 

“Oh and one thing...” Seungwan kissed Joohyun on the cheek. Softly. “Thank you for everything.”

 

Joohyun didn’t respond to Seungwan as she was mesmerized with what Seungwan did. Is it actually common to kiss someone on the cheek? Is it a Canadian thing? Why does her heart beat quite fast? It’s probably just a culture thing.

 

Seungwan opened the door and Joohyun held the short haired woman’s hand, “It’s Joohyun. My Korean name is Joohyun.”

 

Seungwan patted and Joohyun’s hand, “That suits your warm aura very much.”

 

“Stop teasing.”

 

Seungwan said, “Can’t help it.”

 

They bid each other goodbye. Joohyun was still confused. After she arrived back at her apartment, she decided to call Sooyoung.

 

“Unnie...” Sooyoung said with quite a heavy voice. “It’s still 10 am on a Saturday morning. What’s up?”

 

“Geez wake up Sooyoung, it’s 10 already.”

 

“Me and Seulgi stayed 'till late last night. Right babe?” Sooyoung asked her beloved girlfriend but no response from Seulgi. “My baby bear’s still asleep, unnie. She’s so cute.”

 

“Yeah... Yeah...”

 

“So? What do you want to talk about that you call me so early in the morning?”

 

“When someone suddenly kissed your cheek out of nowhere. What does it mean?”

 

“UNNIE WHO DID YOU JUST MEET? TELL ME.”

 

“I said, ‘WHEN SOMEONE’. Please answer.”

 

“That someone probably likes you? Or maybe this person is just being touchy? I don’t know. Please give more contexts. Who are these ‘someone’ and ‘you’.”

 

“So it’s not a cultural thing?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I mean French people kiss each other in the cheek when they meet, no?”

 

“Yeah just some quick pecks.”

 

“I see...”

 

“More contexts, please.”

 

“Nothing, that’s all.”

 

“Did this someone kiss the cheek quickly like a peck?”

 

“I wouldn’t say that...”

 

“SO?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“What do you mean you don’t know?”

 

“I’ll call you later.”

 

“UNNI” Joohyun hung up the phone. She gotta ask Seungwan as soon as possible about the “kiss”. She opened the contact and looked for Seungwan’s contact. Just before she reached the call button, Seungwan called her.

 

“Have you arrived?” Seungwan asked.

 

“I have. Thank you for asking.”

 

“I just wanna say thank you once again. And...” Seemed like Seungwan wanted to continue speaking but only silence entailed.

 

“Seungwan, are you there?”

 

“Ah yeah! Where was I... Oh right... And... Have a great weekend ahead, Joohyun. If you don’t mind me calling with your Korean name.”

 

“Oh...” Joohyun didn’t know what to answer. She felt giddy like a schoolgirl. Been awhile since someone called her with her Korean name without any honorifics. Pandemic has made everything seem crazy, huh? “Sure... I mean why not. It’s really up to you.”

 

“Cool... So talk to you later?”

 

“Certainly.”

 

They bid each other goodbyes. That was indeed a long Friday.

 


 

“Unnie, what do you think about this?” Sooyoung asked as she showed the baby jumpsuit. It was early evening and Sooyoung asked Joohyun to accompany her to buy a gift for an old friend who just gave birth as Seulgi still needed to finish some reports with the associate team. Joohyun was kind of free that day.

 

“Good,” Joohyun nodded slowly. She wasn’t actually too focused on what she looked and what she said.

 

“Or...” Sooyoung took back the jumpsuit and took another baby's clothes. “This cute pajama?”

 

“It’s good too.”

 

“Unnie! I know it’s all good but would you please give me more insights than a mere ‘good’?”

 

Joohyun shut her eyes and she just blurted something very out of context, “Seungwan’s gay.”

 

“And? What does that have to do with you?” Sooyoung took the baby’s pajama inside her shopping bag.

 

“Nothing, I just wanted to blurt it out. Sorry.”

 

Sooyoung sighed, “Don’t be sorry. Please wait a sec. I needed to finish the payment first.” Joohyun just gave a slight nod and off Sooyoung went to the cashier. Joohyun silently cursed herself for really not knowing what to say. She got convoluted. Over small things. Over small precious things. And someone. A co-worker. “Okay, so what does that Canadian intern’s ual orientation have to do with you?” They continued walking outside the store.

 

“Nothing... I don’t even know what I’m talking about.”

 

Sooyoung stopped walking, “If you want to tell me anything I’m all ears. Don’t pressure yourself okay? Whenever you’re ready.”

 

“Sure Sooyoung...”

 

Sooyoung bit her lower lip. “You know what? Ever since that intern arrived you’ve been acting kinda... Different.”

 

“Different how?”

 

“Like this...” Sooyoung stopped and pointed at Joohyun’s face. “I think I’ve never seen you like this before.”

 

“Maybe it’s just your opinion.”

 

Sooyoung rolled her eyes, “Come on. You may deny it all over but you’ve been really obvious.”

 

“Obvious how?”

 

“Still denying...” Sooyoung heaved another sigh. “Whenever you’re ready, okay? One thing though, Seungwan didn’t do anything inappropriate to you, did she?”

 

“Not at all! She’s a nice girl. Her sandwiches are delicious, lovely to talk with, very smart and...” Joohyun’s mind wandered back to when Seungwan kissed her on the cheek.

 

“And...?”

 

“I’m thirsty.”

 

Sooyoung had enough of her unnie and walked past her by, “I hate you, unnie.”

 

“Love you too.”

 


 

The past two weeks just passed by as Joohyun decided to avoid any interactions with Seungwan; from text chats and spending nights at her office. When she passed by Seungwan she decided to just walked straight without even stopping by to say hi. She wanted to have some perspective and clean air. Maybe Sooyoung’s right, that intern probably brought something different.

However, she kept on searching and lurking any Seungwan’s profile on the net. She found some of her academic journals (that intern is indeed a smartie) and some photos of her winning singers’ leagues during her university studies. Amazing. But nothing more about her private life. Truth to be told, she was confused with herself. For being borderline obsessed with knowing the intern’s life yet she chose to avoid any “real” interaction with the intern.

The last message she got from Seungwan was yesterday evening while she was working overtime like she did in the past two weeks.

 

Are you still working? I think I can see the light still on.

Have you eaten dinner?

 

But Joohyun chose not to reply. She just wanted to make sure with herself even if it could take weeks. It was 9 PM on a Friday night yet she still worked to finish the past 6 months’ sales report because Taeyeon needed it as a presentation material at a shareholders’ urgent meeting on Monday. She didn’t want to work at the weekend. She still needed some materials to fill the February report but she couldn’t find any. She decided to go to the archive room and looked for the documents. When she looked at the archive room’s PC, someone called her. Someone she’s been avoiding.

 

“Joohyun... You’re not back yet?”

 

Joohyun was very well aware that only one particular person dared to call her by her Korean name and without any honorifics in the office except for Taeyeon. She wanted to focus first to send the data to her e-mail. Then she stood to face and reply to the other person.

 

“Maybe at 10. Why aren’t you back yet, Seungwan?” It was apparent to Joohyun that Seungwan’s face looked very tired. The latter’s eyes looked heavy although overall she still looked sharp as ever.

 

“Well... It’s Friday and I just wanna spend some time studying the CFA after a heavy workload in the past two weeks.”

 

“Oh yeah I heard about the workload. Madness.”

 

“It is.”

 

“Okay then, good luck. I gotta go back and” Just when Joohyun gestured to go back to her office, Seungwan said, “I’m sorry if I have to ask this, Joohyun. But did I do something wrong?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You haven’t replied to my messages. And I think now’s the first time we talked after that ‘Friday night’.”

 

“Yes... I’m sorry,” Joohyun simply didn’t have anything to say. Pause entailed and seeped the air between the two co-workers. Seungwan just didn’t have anything else to reply than a simple, “Okay.” Off Joohyun went to her office, leaving Seungwan behind.

 

Joohyun finished her work earlier than she had thought. After she got out from her office room she could see that Seungwan’s desk lamp was still on. She decided to reach Seungwan’s cubicle, to have a simple conversation, just for politeness' sake.

 

“I’ve been fed up for the past two weeks. I’m so sorry. I really don’t know what to say.”

 

Seungwan gave a soft smile, “That’s alright, I totally understand.” That’s all? No other response? Joohyun muttered to herself.

 

“You haven’t finished your thing?”

 

“Not yet. I’ve still got something to do.”

 

Joohyun moved near Seungwan, “Is it work or CFA?”

 

“CFA. Still figuring out this study case about structuring a defaulted company.”

 

“Can I take a look?” Joohyun asked.

 

“Sure thing. Go ahead,” Seungwan showed her iPad to Joohyun. Joohyun looked at the pdf document and she smelled Seungwan’s usual perfume... cedar. It hit differently after not interacting for two weeks. She loved the perfume after all. She didn’t know actually whether she liked the perfume or the person wearing it. Or maybe… it’s because of the pandemic. You know, being at home for months and wearing masks everywhere.

 

“I think we have a similar case study in the archive room. It’s about using interest rate swaps to reduce the risk, no?”

 

“Yeah it is.”

 

“Let’s go check it there. I just remembered that we have many documents on CFA tests,” Joohyun facepalmed herself. “Sorry for not telling you earlier.”

 

“Not at all. Thank you so much, Joohyun.”

 

Both Joohyun and Seungwan made their way to the archive room. Joohyun the PC and looked for the documents. “ABC company decides to use a swap that has a modified duration of -2.40 years for the pay-fixed side to reduce his bond portfolio’s duration to the desired level... There we go. It even got the answer sheets,” Joohyun gave the mouse to Seungwan.

 

“Whoa. This is very great. Can I download the files and use it?”

 

“Go ahead. You can use all the documents here for any purposes except the encrypted ones.”

 

Seungwan smiled, “Sure. Thank you once again.”

 

“I’m sorry for not telling you about this earlier.”

 

“Don’t say that. Nothing to be sorry about... You’ve helped me a lot.”

 

“Are you going home now?” Joohyun asked.

 

“Aren’t you?”

 

“I am,” Joohyun responded. “Anyway, how’s your headache and anything? In fact, how are you doing?”

 

“Oh I’ve been doing... Let’s say... fine for now.”

 

Joohyun furrowed her eyebrows, “What do you mean for now? So previously you were not doing fine?”

 

Seungwan chuckled, “Of course I’m not doing fine. How could I be fine if someone who I love spending time with suddenly didn’t even reply to my messages.”

 

“That must hurt...” Joohyun felt a slight pang inside her heart. Seungwan never told her about this particular someone. So silent treatment has made Seungwan close to someone? “Is this someone I know?”

 

Seungwan shook her head, “Oh you know her. Very very well.”

 

“Would you give me some clues? Someone from the office?”

 

“You have a big brain. I think you can figure that one out.”

 

“It’s already 10 PM. I can’t think straight. I’m not like you whose brain’s still all-functioning the whole day.”

 

“Geez... Coming from you, can I take that as a compliment?”

 

Joohyun rolled her eyes, got her bag, and tried to leave Seungwan without saying anything else. She just lost interest to talk with the intern. However, before Joohyun walked any further, Seungwan stopped her by grabbing her shoulder gently. Joohyun turned back, “What do you want?”

 

Seungwan slowly released her hand from Joohyun and opened her mask fully, “Why are you so angry? So I was right... I did something wrong.”

 

“Please do not assume, Seungwan.” Joohyun couldn’t help not to open her mask when the other woman showed her full expression.

 

“And why are you being angry all of sudden, Joohyun? Did I offend you? Did I say something hurtful? Just tell me. I just want some clear answers.”

 

Joohyun closed her eyes and sighed, “Nothing.”

 

“I’m sorry but I’m really not into some kind of passive-aggressive attitude like you’re doing at the moment.”

 

Joohyun snapped, “Don’t assume anything!”

 

“So what then, Joohyun?” Seungwan walked closer to Joohyun, sighed, and half-whispered, “What is it?”

 

The intern from Canada couldn’t bear to look into Joohyun’s eyes. As much as Joohyun wanted to answer and let out the crumpled thoughts, she couldn’t. Seungwan waited, but Joohyun still didn’t speak anything. What if I’m just through some phase? Maybe I was lonely because of the pandemic? Or maybe I was afraid of being left far away? What-ifs were circling around Joohyun’s head. Seungwan couldn’t take it anymore and decided to leave Joohyun. But before Seungwan moved further, it was now Joohyun who stopped the cedar-y woman by grabbing her shoulder.

 

Seungwan turned back, “What now, Joohyun?” only to meet with Joohyun’s soft kiss on the lips. Seungwan was surprised but couldn’t help to melt her lips with her co-worker. Seungwan put her hand behind Joohyun’s head and deepened the kiss.

 

Joohyun thought of nothing but how intoxicating it was being on Seungwan’s arms and pair of lips. However, she realized it was the office so she slowly released herself from the kiss. The two looked at each other deep in the eyes without saying anything.

 

The archive room’s door creaked. Both co-workers were startled with the voice and slowly took a step back.

 

“Aren’t you two supposed to come home?”

 

“We are, unnie. Why are you still here anyway?”

 

Taeyeon shrugged her shoulder, “Well I just got back from a meeting and decided to look around the office. Time to go back. Be careful, will you?”

 

“You too unnie,” Joohyun responded. “Be careful. Safe trip!”

 

“Thanks Joohyun. So long Seungwan.” bid Taeyeon goodbye.

 

“So long Taeyeon sunbae-nim,” Seungwan slightly bowed. Off Taeyeon went as she closed the door, leaving the two clueless women inside.

 

“Y—You’re done already?” Joohyun asked with apparent hesitations.

 

“Umm... yes,” Seungwan responded with such similar hesitancy. “Shall we go back now?”

 

Joohyun nodded. They prepared, re-checked things, and decided to take a taxi together to get back home. The drive back home was a quiet one. Joohyun didn’t even want to check her phone. She just wanted to look outside the window. Looking around the streets which are quite packed as it was Friday night.

 

“Ah... so the karaoke rooms have already opened huh?” Seungwan said as she looked to the window on Joohyun’s side.

 

“Yes. Since two weeks ago I think?” Joohyun responded.

 

“That’s great news. Though I prefer not to take some risks for now.”

 

“Agreed. Better safe than sorry,” Joohyun nodded. “Speaking of pandemic, how are things going in your city in Canada?“

 

“Similar to here, I believe. It’s handled quite well.”

 

“Good to hear,” Joohyun responded. The drive back home rece again to a quiet one. No further talks until they arrived at Joohyun’s apartment. Joohyun said to Seungwan to not accompany her to her apartment room as usual but Seungwan, as she always did, insisted.

 

“You really don’t have to take me up all the way here,” Joohyun said as she looked for her keys.

 

“I just want to make sure you’re arriving safe and sound by looking at you open the door.”

 

“That’s it? That’s the sole reason?” Joohyun stopped looking for her keys and turned to Seungwan.

 

“Yes...” Seungwan nodded slowly. “And no...”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I mean yes I really wanna make sure that you arrived safe and sound but…” Seungwan bit her lip, scratching her cheek, and glancing around as if looking for the right words. She closed her eyes and did a slight headshake, “Why did you kiss me? I don’t wanna be bothered the whole night with circling thoughts.”

 

Joohyun gulped. She didn’t know the reason why she kissed Seungwan. She just felt like it. She really didn’t know the answer. She decided to ask back, “Why did you kiss me before? I know it’s only on the cheek but it all came so sudden.”

 

Seungwan let out her breath and covered her face, “Guess the night is still young, isn’t it?”

 

“It’s 11.30 PM...” Joohyun glimpsed on her phone and smiled slowly. “And it’s Friday... Shall we go inside to have a talk? I also prefer not to have assumptions circling in my head.”

“So do I.”

Joohyun unlocked the door and they went inside. When Seungwan opened her shoes, her phone rang. She hurriedly looked at her phone to look at the caller ID, “I’m sorry it’s urgent. Very urgent. Can’t I take this first? Won’t take long.”

 

“Go on.”

 

“Thank you Joohyun,” Seungwan looked worried. She answered the phone and walked a bit further. “Hi Jennie, what’s up? Everything’s okay?..... Oh my God. I thought something happened. Yes please, I want to see Lucas. But wait a sec…” She turned to Joohyun. “You don’t mind if I have a video call? With speakers on?”

 

“Not at all. Who are you calling, if I may know?”

 

Before Seungwan answered, her phone showed a little kid smiling and called her name from the phone speaker, “Hi-ya Mommie Wannie.” Joohyun couldn’t help but think of the kid’s voice. Mommie Wannie? She sat on the sofa and tried to relax her wandering thoughts.

 

“Hi-ya there Lucky Lucas. How you doin’?

 

“I missy you mommie…”

 

“I missy you everyday, baby. Would you wait a sec?”

 

“Suure!”

 

Seungwan paused the call and facepalmed herself. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and moved to be seated beside Joohyun. “Joohyun, look. I know you’ve heard my conversation and I haven’t even introduced them to you. I waited for the right time but turns out the right time is now. You remember the partner that I told you days ago?”

 

Joohyun nodded slowly.

 

“I have a kid with her. Practically it’s her nephew but you know... it’s kinda complicated and all.”

 

Joohyun nodded again. Her head’s full of trying to absorb everything that happened to her that day. She had a lot of questions both to herself and Seungwan but she tried to shake it off, “Lucas isn’t it?”

 

“Yeah… My lovely lucky Lucas,” Seungwan smiled as she opened the phone to continue the call.

 

“Mommie!!! What took you so long?” The little boy pouted.

 

“Sorry! I just had a talk with my friend...”

 

“Who’s your friend mommie? I wanna see her!”

 

“Ummm… Joohyun, he wants to see you.”

 

Joohyun, who was still in confusion, couldn’t help to put a smile after hearing such request. She moved closer to Seungwan to have her face on the screen and saw the tiny lucky Lucas.

 

“Hi there, lovely boy... You’re Lucas, aren’t you?” Joohyun smiled.

 

“I am, miss... You’re very very pretty.”

 

Joohyun laughed, “Oh dear thank you. You’re probably the most handsome kid I’ve ever seen in my life.” Seungwan raised an eyebrow responding to what Joohyun just said.

 

“Aren’t you supposed to have a class today? It’s around 10 AM at the moment, no?”

 

“I am but I missy you mommie! Also mommie Jennie said we’re going to go there next week.”

 

“What? Really?” Seungwan was surprised.

 

“Yeah!”

 

A woman suddenly popped into the screen hugging Lucas, “Don’t you want to see us, Wan?” Jennie looked amazed with the appearance of the woman. She looked cute and... y. Must’ve been Seungwan’s partner. Ex-partner. Joohyun wanted to move from the screen but Seungwan held her hand gently, signaling to stay.

 

“Jennie... Of course I miss y’all but a week from now is indeed a surprise.”

 

“Well... A bit of surprise won’t hurt, ain’t it?” Seungwan smiled and nodded. “Anyhoo, who’s that beautiful woman here with you?”

 

“Oh right. She’s Joohyun. My co-worker and a good friend of mine.”

 

“Glad to see you already met a good friend,” Jennie lifted an eyebrow playfully.

 

“Well...” Seungwan blinked her eyes. “I am. I am very glad to meet her.” She smiled and turned to Joohyun whose face was very close to hers.

 

“Pleased to meet you Joohyun, I’m Jennie,” Jennie said. “I don’t know if Seungwan has told you about me, but if so... Well... yeah it’s kinda complicated.”

 

“Pleased to meet you as well, Jennie. I’m Joohyun, like Seungwan has said,” Joohyun said. “Her co-worker.”

 

Jennie smiled as she patted Lucas’ head, “Lucas, isn’t it time for you to have a math class?”

 

“I don’t want to!”

 

“Oh no Lucas…” Seungwan said. “I think me and mommie Jennie never told you to skip school aren’t we?”

 

“I just want to talk to you mommie…” Lucas pouted. “I missy you.”

 

“I missy you too sweetheart,” Seungwan pouted as well. “But I’m gonna be very sad if you don’t attend school. You want your mommie sad?”

 

“NOO!”

 

“So pwease?” Seungwan asked him softly. “I promise to take you everywhere you want when you’re here. But not when I’m working okay?”

 

“Okay!” Lucas nodded. “See you soon mommie!!! See you soon mommie’s pretty friend.”

 

Joohyun was stunned and she felt happy looking at the little boy’s energetic aura, “See you lovely boy.”

 

“Bye bye sweetheart!” Seungwan gave him a flying kiss.

 

Off Lucas went to attend his online class. There left only Jennie on the other side, “Joohyun, as much as I want to have a talk with you, but can I talk only with Seungwan?”

 

“Of course, sure. Let’s have a chat later. Can’t wait to see you here.”

 

“Me too! Really can’t wait.”

 

“Well then, have a great day ahead, Jennie. I’m gonna take a shower and all. See you!” Joohyun smiled.

 

“See you too!” Jennie also responded with a smile. Seungwan muted her phone, “Joohyun, I know I have a lot of things to tell you. A lot... I promise I’ll tell you after the call or whenever you want.”

 

“Take your time, Seungwan. Don’t pressure yourself.”

 

Seungwan held Joohyun’s face and landed a kiss on her forehead, “Thank you. I mean it. Thank you.”

 

Joohyun smiled, “Stop making Jennie wait, talk to her.”

 

“You’re right.” Off Joohyun to her bedroom and Seungwan unmuted her phone, “Sorry to make you wait, Jennie.”

 

“That’s alright. I understand,” Jennie replied.

 

“How’re you doing?”

 

“Not bad at all. It’s been great,” Jennie responded. “How are you?”

 

“Good. Life’s good here.”

 

“Well... It’s apparent that Seoul brings you something good,” Jennie giggled. “You already live together with your co-worker or something?”

 

Seungwan felt a flush on her cheeks, “What do you mean?”

 

“It’s past midnight in Seoul and you’re still together.”

 

“Ah... We have something to talk to each other and end up in her place.”

 

“I see. End up in her place huh?” Jennie nodded playfully. “Anyway... I’ve mailed you the document that you need to sign.”

 

“Okay thanks,” Seungwan knows very well about the document that she needed to sign.

 

“Then you can give it to me when I’m in Seoul.”

 

“Sure Jennie...” Seungwan bit her lip and shut her eyes.

 

“You know what?” Jennie asked. “I asked everyday whether this was the right thing or not. But I guess we were too young back then. So many things weren’t put into consideration.”

 

“Yes... We were too young,” Seungwan responded with her eyes still shut.

 

“You’re okay, right?”

 

“Sure, of course. You’re okay too huh, Jen?”

 

“I am, Seungwan. Don’t worry,” Jennie responded. “Guess I’ll talk to you soon?”

 

“Yes... See you soon,” Seungwan gulped silently. “Tell me about your flight details.”

 

“I will,” Jennie said. “Good night, Seungwan.”

 

“Thanks. Have a good day, Jennie.” Jennie turned off the call. Seungwan took a deep breath and still shut her eyes. Her eyes were filled with hanging tears but she didn’t want to let it down, yet. She tried her best to repress her emotion after having that one simple call. She thought of the document. She thought about that one particular document. If she could, she did not want to sign it, ever. But she had to. She needed to. She continued to take a deep breath to calm herself down. She couldn’t. She found it hard to breathe even normally. Her body was shaking. She couldn’t handle her tears anymore. She cried uncontrollably.

 

“Breathe slowly, Seungwan... I’m here for you,” Joohyun went to sit beside Seungwan and soothe her hands. “I’m here if you want to talk. If there’s anything I can do, please let me know, Seungwan. Perhaps a glass of water?”

 

Seungwan nodded. Joohyun took a glass of water and brought that in front of Seungwan’s mouth slowly. Seungwan sipped the water and drank it thoroughly.

 

“Do you want to be alone? Or do you want me to stay?” Joohyun asked as she patted Seungwan’s back gently.

 

“Please stay, Joohyun.”

 


 

Joohyun could feel the rays of sunshine hitting her eyes through her curtain. She peeked to the other side of her bed and saw no one beside her.

 

She got up instantly and went outside of her bedroom. She heard hummings from the kitchen.

 

“Seungwan?”

 

“Oh my God, you scared me.” Seungwan said as she put her knife down. “I know I didn’t ask your permission to use this but I went outside to buy some fruits. You’re okay with eating salad as breakfast, no?”

 

Joohyun sighed a relief, she thought Seungwan ran away, “Not at all. I would even be more glad if you make your sandwich specialty.”

 

“I’ll take that as a compliment,” Seungwan said as she cut the fruits.

 

Joohyun grimaced, rolled her eyes as she took two bowls and glasses from the cupboard, “Whatever you like.” Seungwan just giggled hearing Joohyun’s response. She finished cutting the fruits and put them inside the bowls. Joohyun was filling up the water and they ate at the small woody dining-slash-working table.

 

“So... How do we start?” Seungwan said as she munched the apple.

 

“Whenever you’re ready, Seungwan. Please take it slow,” Joohyun responded.

 

“Nah...” Seungwan disagreed. “Like I said, I want to tell you everything.”

 

“I know. But please tell if you’re ready.”

 

“I am. I have to,” Seungwan smiled and put down her fork. “It all started when I moved to Canada for uni when I was 19...”

 

“Wait, how old are you now?”

 

“I’m now 26.”

 

“Seven years ago then...”

 

“Indeed.”

 

Seungwan met Jennie at a music club. They were both vocalists. And they fell in love instantly after spending a lot of singing practice together, having similar interests and all. Seungwan thought Jennie was the one. She believed that Jennie would be her last. Thus, she asked Jennie to be her girlfriend at 20, asked to move in together, and had a civil union when they were 21.

 

“I gotta say, you’re indeed the blunt type, aren’t you?” Joohyun giggled.

 

“I was young and dumb, Irene.”

 

“Young and dumb yet you worked in J.P. Morgan for three years.”

 

“How did you know that?” Seungwan yelped.

 

Joohyun laughed, “Do you forget that we work together? Of course I have to know your background. And I gotta say that’s very impressive.”

 

“Thank you, Joohyun.” Seungwan smiled, took again her fork and ate a slice of orange. “Although things kind of went downhill from there...”

 

After their 3rd anniversary, Seungwan got a job at J.P. Morgan. She worked like mad as an investment banker. Although they were living as a well-off couple, she typically worked for 90hr a week and that didn’t please Jennie who was working freelance in a boutique advertising agency with much less work time. They had arguments almost everyday. Jennie thought that bringing her nephew to their home to live together would change it all. They both loved Lucas but things just didn’t change, until Seungwan decided to move to Seoul and started anew.

 

“And here I am in Seoul...”

 

“So, all the the reason saying that you want to learn and situate yourself in an arising Korean private equity firm was just some kind of professional bullsh*t?”

 

“You caught me,” Seungwan laughed. “But no, really, of course I’ve done the research. Starting anew would be the ultimate reason of me being here and all that kind of professional bullsh*t came in second.”

 

“Okay talkie,” Joohyun beamed a smile. “Can I ask some questions?”

 

“Shoot...”

 

“Actually, I have many.”

 

“Go on. I’m free till Sunday.”

 

Joohyun flashed a smile, “You really enjoy spending the time with me, aren’t you?”

 

“Quite a bold question, don’t you think?”

 

“Can’t help it. Being with someone bold for the past few weeks influences me.”

 

Seungwan chuckled, “Okay boss. The questions please?”

 

“Let’s start with how the hell you wanted to work at J. P. Morgan?”

 

“Easy question. I need money and I know the intense working environment will bring me a lot of high-quality capacities.”

 

“And...?”

 

“I know I want to eventually start a business. So I’d like to know in the big picture of how company financing works.”

 

“Business in finance?”

 

Seungwan shook her head, “I want to build a music school. Or have some karaoke boxes in Canada. But I gotta rethink my plans because of the pandemic.”

 

“You’re indeed...” Joohyun paused as if absorbing something. “Special. I mean by how you knitted your career path.”

 

“My life motto is to not have a deathbed regret. I believe I only live once so I gotta make sure that I didn’t leave this life with things I was afraid or shy to try.”

 

Joohyun gave a crips nod, “I can see that actually. Your life showed it all. You have done a lot of things even at such a young age.”

 

“Not that I never failed though. I failed... A lot.” Seungwan went on. “Especially the separation with Jennie. That has taught me a lot. I thought I was all fine until she reminded me to sign the dissolution paper. Reminded me how I failed in having and managing a family. That was in the past though.”

 

“It’s okay Seungwan...” Joohyun said. “I've never been there but, knowing you I know it will eventually pass.”

 

“Hope so,” Seungwan finished the fruits in her bowl. “Say, you’ve asked me one question. I think it’s fair if I ask you one question before you ask another one.”

 

“Go on...”

 

Seungwan cleared and exhaled, “Why did you kiss me?”

 

Joohyun knew the question was going to be that particular one. Her stomach lurched, “You know what? I know we’re both professionals so at least things at work might still be run without any personal obstacles. I think I like you... I admire you to the point I want to kiss you.” She attempted to look directly at Seungwan’s eyes but instead she stared at her bowl playing with her fork. “I shouldn’t have done that. Especially knowing that you have a partner.”

 

“Ex-partner, Joohyun...”

 

“But still,” she wrinkled her nose. And stood up. “At least on paper...” She went to the kitchen and put the bowl in the sink. She couldn’t bear to look at Seungwan, after all she just confessed what she felt out loud. One thing she didn’t realize was how heaviness in her body felt like lifted after she said the words, despite any responses that Seungwan might give to her. She closed her eyes and nodded compulsively. Reassuring herself that at least she let that out from . She then continued to wash her bowl until she felt a touch of a soft hand patting her shoulder. The owner of the hand was none other than the Son Seungwan that had successfully made her feel like nothing she ever felt before. Maybe it’s because of the pandemic. Maybe it’s not. Maybe it’s just Seungwan. Maybe it’s just life. She put the washed bowl and turned off the tap.

 

“Joohyun...” Seungwan gently turned Joohyun’s body to face her. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you the details of my past.”

 

“Nothing to be sorry about, Seungwan. It’s my fault for acting impulsively... ”

 

“No... I wanted that kiss. I liked the fact how you initiated the kiss. And for Jennie, there’s literally nothing between us other than the document that I need to sign.”

 

“Then why haven’t you signed it?”

 

Seungwan said with a shaky voice, “It was hard to face the fact that I failed in this relationship. It was like the only thing I had. I loved her. I loved my relationship with her but I have to let her go... And I know I have to move forward, heck I even moved to Seoul even only for months.”

 

Joohyun hold Seungwan’s hands and moved to give her an embrace. Seungwan buried her face on Joohyun’s neck. “You’re doing great, Seungwan. It’s okay.”

 

“I hate that you see me crying two times in the span of 24 hours.”

 

Joohyun chuckled, “At times like this you’re still making a joke?”

 

“I’m serious!” Seungwan said as she shed her tears. “Okay, now let’s continue our conversation.”

 

“You sure? Take your time.”

 

“If I keep on taking my time, it will be full of endless crying sessions.”

 

“I didn’t know you’re such a softie.”

 

“Now you know.”

 

Joohyun Seungwan’s cheek, “I like you even more. Thank you for showing this humane part of yours.” She landed a kiss on Seungwan’s cheek, a long and soft kiss. “As much as I want to kiss that lips of yours again... I think it’s best if you sign the document first.”

 

“That’s definitely the reason why I kissed you first on the cheek weeks ago.”

 

“And thank you for answering my next question already.”

 

“I don’t know what state we are in,” Seungwan said. “But as much as I want to commit my life with you, I want to take it slow and steady. I’d also like to remind you that I’ve still got to finish my MBA... in Canada.”

 

“Take your time, Seungwan. I’m not rushing anything. I believe if we’re meant to be, then we’re meant to be.”

 

Seungwan suddenly gruntled, “Do you have a printer?”

 

“Um… yes. But for what?”

 

“I need it ASAP,” Seungwan walked fast to her bag and took her laptop. “Where can I use it?”

 

“Geez...” Joohyun rolled her eyes. She told Seungwan to go to her bedroom and set up the printer to Seungwan’s laptop. Seungwan opened a document and printed it without any hesitation.

 

“This is it,” Seungwan looked at the newly-printed set of papers titled “Application for Order Dissolving a Civil Union”. She breathed a relief and clicked her pen, “I have to sign it no?”

 

“Whenever you’re ready, Seungwan.”

 

Seungwan bit her lip, “Can I... Can I get a kiss after I sign this?”

 

“AREN’T YOU A BABY?” Joohyun flicked Seungwan’s head. “Look, I think you need some time alone whether to sign this now or later. Like I said, take your time. If we’re meant to be, then we’re meant to be.”

 

Seungwan closed her eyes and pressed a palm on her forehead, “You’re right. To be honest, I think it’s even best to sign the document in front of Jennie next week.”

 

“At least you got the document printed.”

 

“So what do we do now?”

 

“I think you haven’t told me about your past love life,” Seungwan said. “Don’t tell me you’ve been married?”

 

“No!” Joohyun replied. “My love life was almost non-existent until you came along.”

 

“What? Did you hear yourself? How could you sound so corny like that?”

 

Joohyun pinched Seungwan’s cheeks, “How about enjoying some flicks together?”

 

“That hurts, boss!” Seungwan patted her own cheek. “Your fingers are very strong.”

 

“Not as experienced as yours though,” Joohyun stuck her tongue out.

 

“Say what?!”

 

“Let’s just watch a flick.”

 

“In your bedroom? I think it feels warm.”

 

“Not as warm as my body.”

 

“WHY ARE YOU THE ONE TEASING NOW?”

 

Joohyun laughed and cringed silently at herself. She wondered to herself how the hell she could be in the state she was in. She gave no damn about her love life yet life gave her love in the form of Son Seungwan. She might not know her for a long time, she might be her co-worker, but who cares? Maybe... all of these happened because of the pandemic. But then again, maybe it’s not. One thing she knew, she felt glad. She felt... Happy. And that’s what mattered.