Chapter 9

Love Is In The Air

(Several days later, at work)

“Luna, do you have a second?” Victoria walked towards my work station.

“What is it, Vic?” I looked up at her, ignoring my paperwork.

“I have to make lots of copies.. Think you can lend me a hand?” She leaned on my table.

“Oh? Sure thing!” I smiled, standing up.

 

“Hey. Have you heard from Jonghyun? It’s been almost a week now, right?” Victoria whispered to me as we started working by the copier.

“Umm..” Unsure what to say. Maybe I was wrong. It’s been several days since our misunderstanding.

“I mail and he doesn’t reply, call and he doesn’t answer. Not a thing.” I said, keeping my eyes away from her gaze and minding my own business.

“After sending all those mails, it’s hard to believe he’s laying low! Looks like your roles have reversed now.” Victoria had said in a slightly irritated voice.

“I guess...” I nodded and sighed.

“H-hey! Come on.” She lightly hit me on the back.

“Don’t keep looking down like that... You’ll keep all the good guys away!” She had her lips pursed and her eyes gazed upon me, as I looked at her.

“I know, I know. Us ladies gotta look out for ourselves. I remember you saying that.” I turned back to work on the copier.

“I really gave it all I had this time.” I lightly shook my head.

“Ne, and isn’t wallowing in regret only going to ‘cause you more pain?” Vic put her hand on my shoulder and made me turn to her.

“So come on, chin up! Look forward!” She gave a cheerful smile and lightly squeezed my shoulder.

“Oh, but.. Don’t you think it’s a little hard for me to move on because I can’t get a hold of him?” I laughed under my breath. Though I was in a tough time, Vic had ways of lightening up my mood.

“Hmmm...” Vic bit her lower lip in thought.

“Oh, I know! I’m going to the next matchmaking party, right?” She said once again.

“Let me guess. You want me to go, don’t you? You want me to shake things up a bit?” I raised an eyebrow at her.

“You read my mind! I’m telling you... With Jonghyun doting on you, you forgot all about the other guys, right? Maybe we should spend some time on someone else.” She shrugged.

“If you decide that he’s the one, we’ll figure out a way to find him. And don’t worry; I’ll be there to help you!” Vic grinned.

 “Maybe you’re right. Okay, let’s do it! Gomawo, Vic.” I smiled at her before turning to the copier. I guess I’ll give her idea a shot. It should give me the chance to think about the way I feel, too.

 

(At the Matchmaking Party)

“Wow, Luna. We haven’t been here in ages!” Victoria chuckled. I nodded and looked around.

“I guess some of the people are different but everything else is the sa-“ I was cut off.

“Bwoh?!” Vic suddenly let out.

“H-hey, Luna. Don’t look surprised but turn around and look slowly.” She looked on in awe at the entrance behind me. I did as she told me.

“No way.” I gaped. Jonghyun?

“My eyes aren’t lying, right? That was Jonghyun, right? Not a twin or something?” Vic blabbered.

 “A-aniyo, it was him.” I bit my lip and nodded.

“B-bwoh? Wae is he here? Don’t tell me he had the same idea.”  She puffed her cheeks.

“Maybe he wants to see other girls, and think about his feelings, too.” I said plainly.

“At least let’s hope so.” I pursed my lips.

 

Jonghyun was standing there, looking down. Maybe that was why, but it seemed he hadn’t notice me.

“So what should we do? I definitely never expected this to happen.” I shook my head.

“Then again, this could be your chance. Come on, Luna. Do something!” Vic furrowed her eyebrows. She’s right... I have to run over there. I sighed at the idea, but I had to.

“Annyeong, Jonghyun...?” I said.

“Yeah...” Jonghyun was a bit wide-eyed as he realized it was me. He took a step towards me. I ran as fast as I could, but stopped as soon as I saw her.

“Jonghyun. Where are you off to all in a hurry?” The girl had said.

“Didn’t you promise to spend today with me?” She tilted her head at him.

“Huh?” Jonghyun turned to her, a bit confused.

“Oh, yeah... right. Mianhae, Soo Yun. Do your feet hurt? Those are some high heels.” He cleared his throat.

“That’s very kind of you, Jonghyun. My feet are fine, thank you.” She gave him an eye smile.

“However, I had no idea you’d be called on so soon after arriving, Jonghyun. I remember when I called on you and you showed no interest...” She pouted.

“Don’t you know it hurt my feelings?” She wore a sad expression.

“Mianhae... I just had something else on my mind at the time.” Jonghyun sighed and looked down.

“Oh, aniyo. I certainly don’t blame you.” He ran his fingers through his hair and rubbed his nape.

“But, I wonder what you were thinking about..?” I could tell Soo Yun’s curiosity was piqued.

“Nothing. Nothing worth mentioning, anyway.” He crossed his arms and frowned.

“Is that so. Actually, I was wondering if I’d ever see you at a party again.” Soo Yun grinned.

“What do you mean?” Jonghyun kept his expression.

“I mean recently you’ve been rather friendly with – Oh! Isn’t that her?” She had contempt written all over her face as she looked at me.

“But, I mean, I didn’t hear from you for so long..” She quickly turned back to Jonghyun.

“I guess an average girl like that just wasn’t suited for you at all!” Soo Yun chortled.

 

I was left speechless and unmoving from all that I’ve witnessed.

“Ah! The nerve of that woman!” Vic suddenly appeared beside me, clearly irritated.

“Carrying on like she’s some queen of the world.” She grunted.

“And purposefully loud enough for us to hear...” I added, sighing.

 

I’d seen Jonghyun talking to Soo Yun before... But that time, Jonghyun kept glancing over at me.

This time, he didn’t even look at me; not even once. He acted like he had no feelings for me at all anymore.

“To be honest, I had a little hunch as to what might be going on.” Soo Yun had started again.

“That you might be seeing that... Ahem, Miss Sunyoung. Don’t you think your values are just too different?” She questioned him.

“Come now, Jonghyun. You don’t think I’m wrong now, do you?” She tilted her head sideways and watched Jonghyun’s eyes drop once again.

“Excuse me?” His eyes shot up to her as her words reached him.

“I said, you and Miss Park, it’d never work out. You’re too different. Of course a girl like that would be no good for you.” Soo Yun crossed her arms, grinning.

“I... I guess you’re right.” Jonghyun nodded.

“Guess for a rich guy like me, my lady should be rich, too. A better balance..” He smiled slightly.

“Ne, isn’t that the truth. Don’t you think I can understand that?” Soo Yun was obviously satisfied with his words.

“I mean, I eat so much expensive food, I sometimes crave for a frugal meal. I bet that happen to you, too. Right, Jonghyun?” She had a smug smile on her face.

“Maybe...” Jonghyun didn’t look too happy about it, though. His expression is just too... glum.

“Of course. For people like us, that happens all the time. Well, at least it’s a good way of killing time, I suppose.” She nodded.

“Sure...” He said plainly.

“Oh, I know. This is rather sudden, but what do you think? Let’s cancel our reservations at this party and got to a restaurant?” Soo Yun beamed.

“I’m starting to feel bothered by all the other girls staring at me.” She huffed.

“I know a place with excellent wine nearby. I’d love to go together.” She motioned Jonghyun to come with her.

“Sure...” He said again.

“I’m so happy! They have a bottle saved for me there that I know you’ll like.” She clasped her hands.

“After that... Shall we go somewhere more quiet? I’d love to get to know you.” Soo Yun smiled widely.

“I see... Ara. Today, I’ll follow you anywhere you wanna go.” Jonghyun grinned.

“After we eat, I’ll go with you wherever you want. Somewhere with a scenic view or maybe even a hotel room...” He added.

“Splendid.” Soo Yun smiled, twining her arms around Jonghyun’s.

 

“... Who – Just who does he think he is?!” Vic blurted out.

“He knows how you feel, Luna. Acting like that is just unforgivable!” She continued to rant.

“Aigoo.. Why did I just sit back and watch? I feel so...” I cringed.

“It would have been perfectly fine to throw a glass or two of water at him!” Vic nodded furiously.

Victoria was mad, but I didn’t have the energy anymore to be angry.

 

I just stared as they withdrew their reservations, to leave that party.

“Miss Sunyoung? Excuse me, but you look a bit pale.” Hyun Ki approached me.

“Shall I get you a cold drink, or perhaps a towel...” He looked at me with worry.

“Perhaps you’d like to rest in an adjacent room for a while?” He continued.

“Oh, would that be okay? Or perhaps we should just go home?” I looked at Vic.

“I just don’t feel like being here anymore.” Vic sighed.

“I don’t think Luna will be able to enjoy the party either.” She said as I stood there saying nothing.

“Miss Sunyoung? Are you really alright? I could call a doctor for you..” Hyun Ki offered some more.

“Oh... kamsahamnida, but I’m alright.” I bowed to him. Only my heart is broken.

 

If only I was able to speak to Jonghyun, I might feel better. But we couldn’t exchange even a word. That was my only chance. Maybe Jonghyun has moved on.

As if he could hear my prayers, Jonghyun looked back one last time, his expression was sad again.

“Miss Sunyoung. Please don’t push yourself too hard. I can you somewhere myself if need be.” Hyun Ki smiled.

“Kamsahamnida, Mister Ree. But I think I’m going to be okay now..” I gave him a reassuring smile.

 

Noticing Mister Ree and I conversing, Jonghyun started walking this way, but...

“Jonghyun, where are you off to? We’re done with this place, are we not?” Soo Yun reached out for him.

“Uh, aniyo. I...” He looked at Soo Yun and started.

“Goodness.. And it seems Miss Sunyoung is already talking to another man.” Soo Yun looked over us.

“But isn’t he the site admin? Well, whatever. Good for her.” She slightly rolled her eyes, and Jonghyun knitted his eyebrows together making it seem like he was angry.

“Oh, right. I’ve already told the restaurant we’re coming, Jonghyun. The reserved the best table for us by the window. We should hurry.” Soo Yun grab hold of Jonghyun’s arm and tugged it lightly.

“Alright... Kaja.” Jonghyun left with Soo Yun tugging at him all the way. All I could do was watch on in silence.

 

(Same day, at home)

“I haven’t been to your place in ages, Luna. Clean as ever, I see.” Vic looked around and beamed. She was worried and saw me all the way home.

“Alright! Tonight let’s drink the night away – Just us girls!” She smiled.

“Just do everything to forget about that guy! And that girl, too!” She scoffed at the memory.

“I’m resigning from that dating site. I never want to see her again.” Vic huffed.

“I’m sure there are plenty of others out there. You could just switch.” I suggested.

“Great idea! You should, too. Right, Luna?” She said.

“Mollayo...” I played with my fingers.

“What are you worried about? What’s there to regret?” Vic asked. I really don’t know.

“Luna, open your eyes! No way Jonghyun’s ever going to change.” She took hold of my shoulders and shook me.

“If you try to chase after him now, you’ll just be even more depressed. Better you found out about that sooner rather than later, don’t you think?” She tilted her head. Vic was right... but I know a side of Jonghyun that Victoria doesn’t.

“Oh, come on. You’re making that face again.” Vic pouted.

“Okay... Why don’t you try contacting him one last time? Maybe this time, it will change your mind?” She sighed and smiled.

“Okay.. I’ll call. If I can talk to him, maybe Jonghyun will understand.” I nodded as I pulled out my phone.

 “Luna, you really are a kind soul.” Vic plopped down on my bed.

 

I called, but I wasn’t able to reach him.

‘The subscriber you wish to reach is out of range’

I’m sick of hearing that computerized voice.

 

(Same day, late at night)

“Uhh... I can’t drink anymore.” Vic was sprawled dead-drunk on the floor, but I wasn’t buzzing.

Where is Jonghyun now, and what is he doing?

I wonder if he’s still with Soo Yun. Maybe he’s with someone else or by himself. Even that I don’t know. Since he hasn’t contacted me, I had no way of knowing.

“It’s all just so tiring.” Those words escaped my lips. Just like Soo Yun said, Jonghyun and I live in totally different worlds.

I should just probably try and forget about Jonghyun already... If I can, then maybe I can finally move on.

I can’t look back, I can’t stay here, I have to keep moving forward...

 


End of Chapter