- 1 - Part One

Interruptions

"Why does she have to be so difficult? All I did was call her by her name," Wendy exasperated as she entered the Room of Requirement with her Hufflepuff best friend, Seulgi.

"Why would Irene be mad that you called her-wait a second,” Seulgi frowned.

“C'mon Wen. You know Irene doesn't like it when people call her by her Korean name. It's very meaningful to her," Seulgi pointed out as they sat down at a nearby table. "I've known her all my life and it still feels weird for me to call her Joohyun because of how intimate it can be for her. Even Joy and Yeri know to never call her that."

Wendy began to wonder whether she took it too far as she recalled her dispute with Irene earlier that day.

**

Irene, Seulgi, Joy and Yeri were huddled together at their typical meeting spot in the courtyard talking when Wendy happily made her way over to them. Now, seeing Wendy smiling wasn’t a surprising sight as she is normally very bright and bubbly, however, Wendy smiling despite the snow around her definitely meant that something was up.

“Hello my beautiful ladies and Irene,” Wendy smirked as Joy and Yeri giggled. Irene rolled her eyes at the girl as she and the others began to say their hi’s and hello’s in return.

As they began to tell Wendy what they were talking about before she had arrived, Wendy couldn’t contain her excitement anymore.

“Who has two thumbs and put her name in the goblet of fire this morning? This girl!” She exclaimed while pointing her two thumbs towards herself.

“WHaT?!” “huh.” “No way!” 

Wendy did her best to take in how her friends had reacted to the news.

Seulgi was the only one who knew that Wendy had been planning on entering the Triwizard Tournament for a while, but didn’t think she’d enter so soon.

Yeri was jealous at the fact that she couldn’t participate due to her age, but kept ensuring Wendy that she’ll definitely win if chosen.

Joy began to massage Wendy’s shoulders as if she was about to fight, telling Wendy how they should start creating a workout schedule for her so she could be prepared since Joy is certain that Wendy will be the Hogwarts Champion.

And as for Irene, well, she had been quiet ever since the Ravenclaw’s sudden annoucement.

Everyone seemed to have noticed this at the same time as their conversations died down to hear what the older Slytherin had to say. And what Irene ended up saying was definitely not what Wendy had expected.

“Oh my...You, Wendy Son, are really as dumb as I thought you were. Actually, scratch that. Dumber,” Irene puffed with a sly smile. Seulgi, Joy and Yeri shared a look as if saying “Here we go again.” 

Feeling content with the dumbfounded (no pun intended) look on Wendy’s face, she stood up and began to make her way back into the school. Before she could make it far, however, a hand on her wrist kept her back and Wendy appeared in front of her.

“Woaah there Bae, care to explain my ‘dumbness’ exactly?”

“Well, in case you forgot, the tournament that you just entered is one where you could and probably would die if you were to compete. So, putting your name in the goblet was not one of your best moments. Which, by the way, you don’t have a lot of. Therefore, you are indeed dumb. Honestly, it’s truly a mystery as to how you got sorted into Ravenclaw,” Irene acted in shock.

”But, don’t worry Son, you’d never get picked even if you were able to submit your name a million times." A mocking smile was now plastered on Irene’s face. "You're not worthy."

Wendy was furious after hearing Irene's comments, but still had managed to keep her composure.

“Oh no no no, you’ve got it all wrong. I don’t think I’m the who’s worried here,” Wendy smirked. “It actually sounds like you’re scared that you could lose me and simply couldn’t bare the idea of it possibly coming true.”

Irene’s smile was quickly replaced with a scowl as Wendy moved to drape her right arm over the older girl’s shoulders. She leaned in to whisper in Irene’s ear.

“Isn’t that right... Joohyun?”

Irene gasped.

She shoved Wendy off of her in an instant and their eyes locked. Wendy expected to see a very angry Slytherin, but was instead met with a face of shock and... disappointment? When Wendy imagined using her 'secret weapon' for the first time, she expected the older girl to yell and get angry at her. That was the whole point in saying it. 

Instead, Irene stayed mute and moved passed Wendy, making sure to bump shoulders. Hard.

Wendy looked back unsure of what to do as she watched the older girl disappear into the school.

“Crap,” she muttered quietly as she looked up, feeling the snowflakes fall on her face.

**

Snapping back to the present, Wendy knew she had made a mistake, but her pride made her refuse to admit her fault outloud. How Slytherin of her.

“It’s gonna be fine. She’ll get over it like always, Seul. You already know our routine: tease, fight, apologize, repeat,” she tried to reason.

This routine, as Wendy likes to call it, has been around ever since Seulgi had introduced them to each other during their first year at Hogwarts. To be quite honest, neither of them could recall why their "friendship" (if they can really call it that) had been so rocky from the start.

Ever since their fateful meeting, the pair had become rivals in practically everything to the point in which the entire school was aware of their strange relationship. They'd often have arguments that ranged in seriousness and loudness, but had thankfully never turned physical. (Well.. unless you count the time when Wendy had suddenly sat next to Irene and playfully flicked the older girl on the forehead during class. Only to then be pushed off of her stool as a consequence. The Ravenclaw was too busy dying of laughter after seeing the shocked look on Irene’s face that she could care less at the fact that she was now lying on the floor.)

Honestly, if it weren’t for Seulgi being the main reason as to why they put up with each other during that initial year, they might have just avoided each other altogether. Then with Joy and Yeri joining the trio the year after, it just gave them more of a reason to try and be civil when one or all of the other girls wanted to hang out or study together.

So even though they fought often, it was their mutual friends who would always manage to talk some sense into both girls if a fight was really bad. Thus, the next day or two, one of them would mutter a quick “I’m sorry” with an equally quick “I’m sorry too” and all would go back to normal (or at least until their next fight). This had been their routine for five years now.

“I don’t know, Wen. Now I don’t think this was one of your typical arguments,” Seulgi sighed. “Just don’t call her Joohyun unless it truly seems right, okay?”

“Cross my heart,” Wendy said wholeheartedly before shifting the conversation. "Any updates with your crush?"

----- Two Weeks Later -----

So much for the routine.

“It’s been two weeks, Joy. Two weeks!”

“Well, have you apologized yet?”

“She hasn’t given me the chance,” Wendy said dejectly as she plopped down in a seat across from Joy in the Great Hall. She had lost count at how many times she had tried to approach Irene since their argument. Not even the other girls were able to get Irene to talk to Wendy since the older girl would change the subject whenever they tried to bring her up. Then, in the classes the two share, Irene acts as if Wendy wasn't even in the room.

“Oh my gosh, don’t tell me you care about how Irene treats you now after all these years,” Joy teased. "I've never seen you struggle this much after a fight with her."

“Don’t start Joy,” Wendy deadpanned.

“Okay, okay,” Joy raised her hands up in defense. “Anyways, speaking of Irene, I’ve got some news that might help your little situation.” Wendy looked up at the younger girl with confusion displayed on her face.

“Did you hear what happened a few days ago?” Wendy still looked oblivious so Joy continued, “Irene said yes to a date with one of the visiting Durmstrang boys who are here for the tournament. Apparently it’s the one and only, pause for effect, Jackson Wang!”

“HA! Good one, Joy,” Wendy started to laugh at the younger girl’s statement, but stopped once she realized that Joy was in fact telling the truth. “Hold on a sec, are you sure we’re talking about the same Irene right now? Our Irene? As in the one who has shown zero romantic interest in literally anyone, is going on a date?!”

Ever since they were allowed to go to Hogsmeade, every once and a while some boy or girl would build up the courage to ask Irene out. However, with every confession came a decline. So, hearing that Irene had finally said yes to someone had filled Wendy with emotions that she couldn’t describe.

“That’s right! Which means her mood might get better if you know what I mean?” Joy wiggled her eyebrows, “and she’ll finally let you talk to her. That way, she’ll no longer be stuck on your mind during our quidditch scrims! I mean, while I do find it funny that she’s got you really distraught with the whole silent treatment, the scrims are way more productive when all the players are focused and.. uh” Joy trails off as she realizes that Wendy wasn't paying attention anymore. 

This is exactly what I mean she thought as she began to wave her hands near Wendy’s face.

“Oh..uh-sorry,” Wendy shook her head and looked at Joy. “Yeah, o-of course! I’m estatic for her. I mean, it’s about time right? It’s great really.. yeah..” Wendy drifted off, now going back to thinking in silence.

With that, Joy simply raised her eyebrows, silently mouthed “Okay” and decided to not push the conversation any further. She let the silence settle in and pulled out her homework.

----- Later That Day -----

After a few hours of a light scrimmage between some Ravenclaw and Slytherin players at the quidditch pitch, Wendy, Joy, and Yeri began to make their way back to Hogwarts. 

“I love Nayeon and all, but captain gave us a real verbal beating, didn’t she?” Yeri panted out.

“We deserved it though.. we got our butts kicked out there by Wendy and her Ravens,” Joy replied.

Wendy listened in amusement as the young Slytherins complained about their scrim when suddenly, she stopped in her tracks. She turned towards a small huddle of students nearby and approached them. “I’m sorry to interrupt, but do you mind repeating what you just said?” 

Wendy didn’t mean to come off as serious or intimidating, however she wanted to make sure she correctly heard what one of the students had said.

A Griffyndor girl, who appeared to be in her fourth year, straightened up. “It’s just gossip really, but apparently Irene and Jackson’s date was a set up and not in a good way. I'm sure that makes you happy, right Wendy?”

It was then when Wendy heard Joy and Yeri snickering behind her. “What’s so funny?” Wendy turned to face the girls with her arms crossed and an eyebrow raised. “Irene’s getting messed with!”

“Oh, come on. It’s silly gossip,” Joy paused, questioning why Wendy still seemed so concerned. To be honest, she didn’t think Wendy would even care this much. Doesn't she hate the girl? Joy briefly squinted her eyes in suspcion before speaking up again. “It's not like this is the first time people have spread rumors about her. Hell! Even you have! People are just jealous that she finally agreed to go on a date. Not to mention that it’s with Wang of all people, that’s all.”

“Exactly,” Yeri added on. “Plus, their date started nearly an hour ago and she’s the Irene Bae. Don’t you think she’d be back by now if there was a problem? If you’re so hot and bothered, go out and check on her.”

To the duo's surprise, that was exactly what Wendy did.

-----

Fact: Wendy hates snow.

Yet, here she is, trudging her way through it.

To be quite honest, she doesn’t really know why she felt so determined to reach Irene. Wendy even broke a rule, something she has never done, and sneaked past Filch when students weren’t allowed to leave for Hogsmeade after a certain time. I mean, she’s doing this for Irene, her rival. The girl that somehow manages to get on her nerves almost everytime she speaks to her.

Wendy should be excited about this considering that the pair are supposed to be "enemies." So, why would she care if Irene was on a potentially fake date? Deep down, Wendy had a feeling she knew the answer to that question, but she isn’t sure if she’s ready to face it just yet. Instead, she tells herself that she would do this for any one because no one deserves to have a horrible first date, even Irene.

After a few minutes of pacing along the streets of Hogsmeade, Wendy had finally spotted the older girl sitting alone through the window of Madam Puddifoot’s Tea Shop. Nothing appeared to be odd.

See, Wendy thought to herself. She’s fine. He’s probably in the bathroom or something.

As she was about to leave, thinking she was an absolute idiot for being so concerned, a lauging couple had exited the shop.

“She really thought Jackson was going to come. As if he’d waste his time on a mudblood,” The couple continued to laugh as they walked away.

Wendy's blood ran cold. Holding herself back from jinxing the boy after his comment, Wendy looked back into the shop knowing that Irene was her priority once again. Following closer inspection, she barely caught the dejected look on the girl’s face and headed inside.

“That son of a-”

-----

Irene had become so lost in her thoughts of disappointment that she hadn’t realized that someone had entered the shop and caused all the customers to quiet down for the first time since she had arrived. Her hands were clasped tight in her lap and she had been staring down at them for quite some time.

She had never felt so small and vulnerable. Fortunately for her, she knew how to hide her emotions. It had become glaringly obvious that her supposed date was not coming and everyone around her knew it. She’s known around the school as the unattainable, cold-hearted and confident Slytherin, but now the not-so-quiet whispers and the not-so-subtle glances aimed towards her made her afraid to leave her seat. 

It wasn’t until a new hand had entered her field of vision when her train of thought had finally been broken.

Expecting to see Jackson, she looked up towards the owner of the hand. To her surprise, she was met with a familiar pair of soft, brown eyes and a trademark smirk that she normally found annoying, but had now given her an unexpected sense of relief. Before she could say anything though, Wendy had gestured towards her outreached hand.

“Let’s get out of here, yeah?”

Irene, who was still surprised to see the younger girl, only blinked at her and soon glanced back down towards Wendy’s hand. The lack of response began to concern the Ravenclaw.

“She’s still mad at me,” Wendy nearly frowned at the thought when she noticed that Irene was now looking around the shop. With her curiousity now piqued, she did the same and immediately regretted it. 

Everyone was watching them, whispering.

When her eyes fell back to Irene’s face, Wendy knew she had to hold back her reaction. The older girl, for the first time that Wendy had seen, looked as if she was about to have a break down. To others it may not look like it, but Wendy could tell.

She had to figure out how to get Irene's attention and fast. After a few seconds, Irene shifted her eyes back down to her clammy, clasped hands.

Irene was frozen in fear as the thoughts that had been racing through her mind throughout the past hour had just got worse. She’s used to the staring really, I mean have you seen her? But tonight, too many eyes were on her at once. She must look like a fool.

She had built and maintained her strong reputation for years and now it feels as if it’s hanging in the balance all because of some stupid boy. Irene can only begin to imagine what people were going to say. Who knows what kind of stories will be told about her failed first date and for how long. And now with Wendy’s unexpected appearence, the gossip was surely going to explode. Irene was going to explode.

It was then when Wendy knelt down and spoke softly, just above a whisper, to which only the two of them could hear. Her tone, now laced with care and reassurance. So unlike the last time they spoke. 

"Joohyun."   

Irene raised her head at the name and suddenly, it felt as if they were the only two in the shop as Irene’s eyes met Wendy’s again. There was something different about the way Wendy was looking at her too, but Irene couldn’t quite figure it out. Her trance was broken as Wendy offered her hand again.

“Shall we?“

The Slytherin was at a lost for words and could only nod in response. She gently placed her hand in Wendy's as they stood up.

As the pair left hand in hand, the shop had once again erupted into gossip.

-----

As they made their way back to Hogwarts, they walked in peaceful silence when the wind began to pick up and snow had started to fall. Wendy was grumbling in annoyance at the weather when she noticed the older girl was also shivering beside her. As if a light bulb went off in her head, she stopped them from taking another step and faced Irene. 

“Here,” Wendy said as she let go of Irene’s hand.

“What are you-oh,” Irene stopped as Wendy removed her blue Ravenclaw scarf and began to wrap it around Irene’s neck. After a few loops, Wendy’s hands lingered at the ends of the scarf and she looked up to see Irene frozen in place. Their faces were unexpectedly close. 

Wendy could only chuckle. “Better?” and the Slytherin nodded.

Wendy took a small step back and then offered her arm. Irene graciously took it in order to create more warmth between the two of them.

If there was one thing that Wendy knew, it was the fact that even though she hates the cold and snow, the older girl gets colder much easier. So, although she was suffering a bit more now with the dreadful snow landing on her exposed neck, it was completely worth it knowing that Irene would suffer less.

Comfortable silence fell between the two once again as they carried on. Irene thought the rest of the trip would continue in silence but she heard Wendy speak up.

“I’m sorry to keep you in the cold, but do you mind if we sit for a second?” she asked, pointing at a nearby bench.

Irene nodded and with their arms still linked, they sat down. The younger girl was relieved, this was her chance to apologize. After nervously thinking of ways on how to start the conversation, Wendy just blurted out what she had initially thought when she had first saw Irene at the tea shop.

“You look very beautiful tonight,” she said to her own surprise, but finished confidently. “That idiot has no idea what he missed out on.”

Wendy felt Irene tense up beside her, but continued. “I know I messed up really bad for calling you-uh you know a few weeks ago.” Wendy’s eyes widened, “and even a few minutes ago! Oh geez! Honestly... It just felt like the right thing to say at the time and I-... just know I'm sorry. I know it means a lot to you and I should’ve known better. So, I guess you were right. I am quite dumb, aren’t I?”

“Yes, you are,” Irene giggled and Wendy joined her. "And here I thought you'd never admit defeat." After their laughter died down and a few seconds of silence passed, Irene took a deep breath. 

“I should apologize too. I'm sorry for not giving us the chance to talk it through. When you called me Joohyun weeks ago, it caught me off guard. I... I was disappointed.”

Wendy watched her quietly.

“But, the worst part about it though, was that I wasn’t disappointed because you called me by my Korean name,” Irene looked away shyly, unable to meet the girl's eyes as she said the next sentence. “It’s because when I imagined you calling me Joohyun for the first time... it was in a completely different context.”

Silence enveloped them.

“Well, whatever that context is, I hope we’ll get there one day. It's not like we're going to fight each other forever, right?” Wendy admitted. 

Irene’s breath hitched and looked at Wendy. She wanted to see if the younger girl was truly aware of what she had meant. However, Wendy was now looking up towards the sky.

“Looks like the snow is getting worse,” Wendy groaned and motioned for them to stand. “Sorry again, guess we should start heading back.”

Irene knew the moment had passed and so the two fell into easy conversation as if it was natural. Wendy made Irene laugh as she shared stories and Irene, to the Ravenclaw’s surprise, gave her useful pointers about quidditch. At one point, Irene rested her head on Wendy’s shoulder and the Ravenclaw found herself not minding at all. From an outsider’s perspective, it’d be hard to believe that these two fought so often considering the way they were interacting now. ("Gosh, if the other girls saw us like this, they'd be freaking out right now." "We'd never hear the end of it.")

When they had finally arrived back at the school, one would think that the two would part ways as soon as they had reached the castle doors, but instead, they had remained in the same position as they walked silently through the halls. They were even met with shocked stares from the few fellow students who were still awake as they passed by, but for some reason, neither cared now. It wasn’t until they were in front of the entrance of the Slytherin common room when Irene finally lifted her head of off Wendy’s shoulder and unlinked their arms. They were now standing across from each other, both becoming awkward as they were unsure of what to do next.

“So-” 

“I’ll-”

“Oh sorry-go ahead,” Wendy said quickly.

Irene laughed quietly and then offered her hand towards the other girl, “Truce?"

"Truce," Wendy shook Irene's hand.

They stood in silence again until Irene finally spoke. 

"Thank you, Son. For tonight.”

Before Wendy could even realize what was happening, she felt a quick peck on her cheek and then the Slytherin was gone.

-----

When Irene walked into the common room, she was surprised to see Joy and Yeri waiting for her on a nearby couch.

“Omo-you guys scared me!” Her hand now clutching her chest. “Why are you two still awake?”

Joy and Yeri shared a look, a devilish smirk on their faces as they looked back at Irene.

“Why are you guys looking at me like that!?”

“You know, I want to say I’m disappointed at your lack of Slytherin pride right now, however, blue looks good on you,” Yeri teased. “Hmm, it does look awfully familiar though doesn’t it, Joy?“

Irene’s cheeks heated up as her hand reached up towards the Ravenclaw scarf around her neck, forgetting the fact that she was supposed to return it to Wendy.

“Shut up,” Irene said coldly. Not wanting to be teased any longer by the younger (or demonic as Irene refers to them as) duo, she rushed towards their room as they laughed behind her.

----- The Next Night -----

The time had come. After waiting all day in anticipation, the students were finally going to find out who will be representing each school for the Triwizard tournament. All five girls were now together in the Great Hall waiting for the announcement.

“Are my eyes deceiving me?” Seulgi whispered to Joy. 

Seulgi thought that she would be sitting next to Wendy since Irene, Joy and Yeri typically sat across from them. But before Seulgi had the chance, Irene sat down next to Wendy to the shock of apparently no one but the Hufflepuff.

Now sitting between the younger Slytherins, Seulgi looked at them with her eyebrows furrowed. “What do you two know that I don’t?” she whispered again as she glanced at Wendy and Irene who were sitting unbothered while sharing snacks.

Joy smiled at the Hufflepuff then looked to Wendy with a mischievous glint in her eyes. “Hey Wen, just out of curiosity, what happened to your scarf? I’ve never seen you without it during the winter.”

Wendy nearly choked on her food. She forgot she gave it to Irene last night.

“Oh-uh-you see-we-uh-”

Wendy looked over to Irene for some support, but Irene was biting her lip trying to suppress her laughter at Wendy’s nervous fumbling. Wendy couldn’t help but notice how cute the older girl looked.

She began to blush at the thought when she suddenly remembered that the other three girls were still watching them. Clearing , Wendy tried to play off her little slip up. She began to regain her composure when there was a loud commotion at the entrance of the Great Hall that caught the attention of all five girls. The Durmstrang boys had just entered with Jackson front and center next to his headmaster.

All the students began to murmur to one another.

Irene and Jackson’s eyes met for a moment and he gave her an upward nod and a smirk. Irene, now unfazed by the boy or the silly gossip, simply rolled her eyes and looked away.

She quickly got over her little slump last night (from the help of a certain someone) and had returned to her queen-like aura as soon as she woke up. Of course, throughout the day, she still noticed the glances people gave her and the whispers as she walked through the halls, but paid them no attention. Even now, she could hear the current murmurs that began when Jackson entered, but she knew their opinions didn’t matter.

At the same time, Yeri was staring daggers at him. “Who does this guy think he is looking at Irene after what he did last night? I just want to go over there and give him a piece of my mind.” Seulgi and Joy nodded in agreement.

When Wendy saw him, her hands turned into fists. She could sense the anger from her friends, but she had all the more reason to want to go over and punch that little rat in the face. 

If he actually played with Irene’s feelings just because she wasn’t a pureblood, Wendy hoped that Irene did not know about it.

(The older girl absolutely despised the derogatory term and rightfully so. The term had always been a sensitive topic for her ever since an older student had called her such a name during their second year.)

As of now, the rumor that Irene was stood-up because she was what some call a “mudblood” didn’t spread far or last very long.

Wendy had made sure of it. 

She had woken up a bit earlier than normal and went to as many people that she could find at the time to try and dissolve the rumor. Of course, she was given skeptical looks from time to time considering her and Irene's track record of being rivals, but Wendy being her charming self managed to make them believe her and to repeat the info to others. 

Still, the thought of the rumor made Wendy furious because even though it wasn’t confirmed, it also wasn’t denied. Starting to lose control of her anger, she made a move to stand from her seat when she felt a hand on her forearm. 

She turned her head and met Irene’s eyes. The older girl subtly shook her head causing Wendy to remain in her seat. As soon as she unclenched her fists, Irene slid her hand down Wendy’s forearm until she clasped her small hand around the Ravenclaw's slightly bigger one underneath the table. Wendy casted her eyes down to their connected hands, reminding her of the night before and how they seemed to fit quite well.

It's like our hands were made for each other...wait what?! Wendy shook her head, surprised at her thoughts. Just as she was about to question the Slytherin's actions, Dumbledore's voice distracted her.

“Attention everyone! It is time,” he announced as he approached the goblet in the center of the Great Hall. The room fell silent and soon after, a piece of paper flew up into the air from the goblet. He caught it elegantly as it glided down.

You could feel the anticipation in the room. 

“The first champion, from Beauxbatons Academy, Sana Minatozaki!” 

They all turned their heads and Wendy’s jaw dropped. Her eyes, as well as practically everyone else, followed the girl as she made her way to the front of the hall. 

“Whoaa,“ Wendy and Seulgi drawled out at the same time in amazement. The girl was stunning. Irene scoffed and let go of Wendy’s hand, catching the Ravenclaw’s attention. 

“Jealous are we?” Wendy whispered playfully and reached out to hold the older girl’s hand again. (To of course... not because she wanted to...) This time, she intertwined them under the table causing Irene’s face to turn red as Dumbledore read the next name.

“From Durmstrang Institute, Jackson Wang!” The Durmstrang tables hollered and cheered, patting Jackson on the back as he stood up and joined Sana. Now it was Wendy’s turn to scoff as some girls from Hogwarts and Beauxbatons started to swoon.

On the flip side though, Wendy also couldn’t help but join in with Joy, Yeri and the rest of the Slytherin House as they boo’d the guy who messed with one of their own.

Sure, the Slytherin Head of House was staring daggers at the impoliteness of his students and even Wendy, but they all knew it was worth it. 

The hall eventually quieted down when at last, the final paper drifted down to Dumbledore’s palm. This was it.

“Lastly, from Hogwarts,” Dumbledore paused. He smiled before reading the name outloud, “Wendy Son!”

Wait. Did Wendy hear him correctly? Did Dumbledore just say her name?! She could vaguely hear Seulgi, Joy and Yeri screaming their lungs out, but she was still in shock. Then, she heard a voice that stood out above everyone else’s.

“Wendy,” she turned and was met with a cute smile. “Kick his and win.”

Irene squeezed her hand for encouragement and let go as Wendy stood up confidently.

Wendy finally became aware of her surroundings and saw her fellow Ravenclaws celebrating and congratulating her. Seulgi was estatic and gave her a quick hug from across the table while Yeri and Joy started chanting her name and glared at those who weren’t cheering with them. Once Wendy stood next to Jackson, she looked at her friends with a proud grin.

As Dumbledore started to give a speech about the tournament, Jackson leaned sideways towards Wendy. 

“Wendy was it?” She nodded and Jackson continued. “You know, your little friend Irene over there is so hot, don’t you agree?” He followed up with a whistle. Wendy was disgusted with the way he talked about her Slytherin. “Man, the things I would’ve done to her.”

“Would’ve?” Wendy asks through gritted teeth, her smile now gone with her head still facing forward. Not wanting to spare the guy a glance, she looked back towards where her friends were sitting and noticed that they seemed to be having a serious conversation.

She wonders what they’re talking about when she hears Jackson answer her.

“Yeah, would’ve. It’s a shame really, she must be a sight in bed if you know what I mean,” Jackson smirked and elbowed her arm. “Oh c’mon, don’t tell me you’ve never thought about it?” 

She stiffened and quickly glanced at Sana, wondering if the Beauxbaton was able to hear their conversation. Jackson could only laugh, “Thought so.”

She wanted this conversation to end, but she had to make sure of something. “You still haven’t explained the ‘would’ve’ part,” she said coldly.

“Oh yeah. Well, like I said, it’s a real shame. She's smokin' hot, but,” Wendy's fists clenched as she had a bad feeling she knew what he was going to say next.

“I had to teach the girl a lesson after I found out that she's a mudblo-

-- Meanwhile --

As soon as Wendy was out of earshot, Joy looked to Irene.

“What is going on with you two?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about Joy.”

“Oh really? So, are we,“ Joy gestured to herself, Seulgi and Yeri, “supposed to ignore the fact that you two had a little moment when her name was called just now? What exactly happened last night? Apparently a few students saw you guys cozied up last night in the hallway.”

“We did not have a moment and who cares what others say. Nothing happened,” Irene looked away as she tries to hide her tinted cheeks and points at the window, “Oh would you look at that, it’s snowing!”

“Don’t try to change the subject!”

"Okay fine, we made a truce last night," Irene answered. "We're just... friends."

At that, the eyebrows of the three girls sitting opposite of her rose in response. 

Joy and Yeri shared a look before looking back at the older girl. Irene's eyes shifted back and forth between the pair, trying to figure out what question the two were silently trying to ask her. 

“You can be honest with us, you know?” Yeri stated. “She’s too far to even hear us.”

Then, Irene understood.

After what happened in the Slytherin common room last night and what had just happened when Wendy's name was called, the two youngest girls now believe that Irene and Wendy had skipped the friendship phase and were now something more. Not exactly a relationship, but not just a friendship either.

So, the pair is asking, but not outloud of course, if their suspicion is correct. 

Irene sighed, knowing she had been caught. She stole a quick glance at the Ravenclaw before turning back to the three girls, “Do I really have to say it?”

For a moment Irene believed she wouldn’t have to say it out loud seeing that Joy and Yeri were already looking like they already knew, but then her eyes landed on Seulgi.

The pure Hufflepuff still looked confused. Seulgi was aware that Wendy went out to Hogsmeade last night to find Irene, but didn’t know anything about the scarf or whatever the younger Slytherins were trying to pull out of her. The older girl released a shakey breath,  knowing what she had to do.

“I... I like her, okay?” Irene’s shoulders dropped as if the weight on them had finally been lifted. “Believe it or not, I’ve liked her ever since we met and last night was the first time it seemed like she might like me back. I thought it was wishful thinking because we always fight and that’s our thing. And that was enough for me because I never believed that she would like me back. But then she reached out to grab my hand just now so maybe she does? But who’s to say she’s just being nice because she feels bad for me after the whole date fiasco. So maybe she doesn’t-“

“Stop right there!” Seulgi said excitedly, cutting off Irene’s rambling. “Oh this is great! This is perfect! You don’t need to worry because Wendy lik-”

“DUDE WHAT THE IS YOUR PROBLEM?!“ Jackson yelled as he stood up from the floor, his hand holding the left side of his face. The girls’ attention as well as everyone else's shifted towards the pair at the front of the hall. They quickly noticed that not only was Jackson in pain, but Wendy was too.

“Holy crap that hurt way more than I thought it would,“ Wendy muttered to herself as she tries to shake off the pain in her right hand. As she looked back up towards Jackson, it was too late for her to react before she was tackled to the ground. All eyes were on them as they wrestled each other and it only took a few more seconds until some Durmstrang students and some of Wendy’s quidditch teammates came rushing to pull the two apart.

Irene, Seulgi, Joy and Yeri could only watch from afar. They were all about to go up and help Wendy, but the Hufflepuff, Slytherin and Griffyndor Head of Households and the prefects prevented them from doing so. The same went for Durmstrang and Beauxbatons.

The Ravenclaw Head of Household and the Durmstrang headmaster had only allowed a few of Wendy’s and Jackson’s teammates to go up and try to de-escalate the fight. 

“Let me go! Let me get one more hit!” Wendy yelled at her teammate Mina, who was holding onto Wendy for dear life trying to relax her. Irene’s eyes narrowed once she noticed that Sana, the Beauxbatons champion, had come over to try and calm Wendy down as well.

On the other side, Jackson was trying to break free from his friends too. “You’re gonna regret that, you little !” 

All the students in the hall were in shock. Some were cheering and yelling, while others stayed quiet and watched the fight unfold.

“Silence!” Dumbledore yelled. 

At last, the two were separated far enough and the chaos of the situation died down. Eventually, all of the students were ordered to go to their dorms while the three chosen champions and their fellow Headmasters began to make their way towards Dumbledore’s office. 

Instead of heading to their respective dorms, the remaining four girls decided to sit and wait outside near the staircase to the Ravenclaw dormitory until Wendy returned.

“What do you guys think happened?” Joy asked in disbelief. “I’ve never seen Wendy so aggressive like that before. I mean, I know we all want to beat him up, but she’s usually the one who always keeps her composure.”

“Well, knowing her, she must’ve had a pretty good reason to do it,” Seulgi commented. “They were able to stand next to each other for a while so I wonder what changed.”

Yeri was overjoyed. "If anything, at least one of us got a hit in! Who knew that she had such a right hook! Am I right?” Yeri nudged Irene’s shoulder.

“That Sana girl is really pretty,” Irene said out of the blue, catching the three younger girls off guard. “She’s pretty, most likely smart like Wendy, and she even got to help her out while we watched on helplessly. Plus, did you see the way Wendy was looking at her when her name was called first? She’s totally Wendy’s type.”

“Hey! I thought I told you not to worry,” Seulgi said as she place her hand on Irene's shoulder. “Didn’t I tell you that-OH! I was cut off earlier!” The Hufflepuff started to get excited again, smiling so wide that you could barely see her eyes. “Well, as I was saying, this couldn’t be more perfect because Wendy-”

“Because I what, Seul?”

The girls turned their heads to the sound of a familiar voice. There stood Wendy, a huge grin on her face despite her bandaged right hand. They were going to ask her if she was okay, but something, no, someone caught their attention.

“Oh my bad,” Wendy looked between the person next to her and her friends. “I’m sure you guys already know, but this is Sana from Beauxbatons. She’s actually the one who,” Wendy raised her injured hand, “healed me up. They were supposed to send me down to Pomfrey, but Sana offered to do it on the spot since it was already pretty late. It was ah-mazing!”

“Hi,” Sana gave them a friendly wave and giggled at Wendy. “She’s exaggerating. She just had some small bruising so there wasn’t much to heal.”

After learning the rest of the girls names, Sana became aware of just how late it really was and bid them goodnight. “Well, it was lovely to meet you all! Momo and Jihyo must be wondering where I’m at so I should get going.” Then, she turned back to Wendy, “So, I’ll see you around?”

“Of course and thanks again!” the Ravenclaw said and they shared a parting hug.

Once Sana turned at the corner and was out of view, Wendy was bombarded.

“You are a freaking badass!“

“What did Dumbledore say?“

“Are you still in the tournament?“

“Why were you with Sana?“

Wendy had to hold her hands up to stop eveyone from talking at the same time.

“Okay, okay, let me explain. First, hell yeah I’m badass,“ she chuckled at Yeri, giving her a high five. “Second, Dumbledore was so mad and almost pulled me from the tournament, but thankfully Sana defended me. Let’s just say she knew why Jackson had it coming. So, I’m still in!” 

Joy and Seulgi sighed in relief.

“And lastly,” Wendy faced Irene. “I was with Sana because we just so happened to be heading the same direction. The room where the Beauxbatons are staying isn’t too far from here. Plus, I wanted to get to know my new friend better, you know?”

Irene narrowed her eyes and wanted to question the girl further when they heard Seulgi yawn.

“Looks like we’re gonna have to call it a night unless we want to drag a sleeping Seul to the Hufflepuff dorms,” Joy laughed.

They all said goodnight and as the girls went to leave, Yeri noticed that Irene had yet to move. “Aren’t you coming?”

“I will in a bit, just go on. I won’t be long,“ Irene reassured her.

Yeri winked at her and Irene immediately shot a warning glare in return. Thankfully, Wendy was too busy waving bye to Joy and Seulgi to notice. 

When it was finally just the two of them in the hallway, Irene slapped Wendy on the arm.

“What were you thinking?!” The Slytherin half-yelled, half-whispered.

“Hey! What was that for?!” Wendy half yelled and half whispered back, now rubbing the skin that Irene hit.

“Because you’re an idiot!” 

“I am not!”

“Do you know how lucky you are that Dumbledore didn’t punish you after what you did! Jackson isn’t worth all the trouble,” Irene’s eyes shifted to Wendy’s injured hand and pouted. “Especially if you get hurt in the process.”

“I know, but he deserved it! I couldn’t stand there and let him-” Wendy cut herself off in frustration and then sighed. “It’s just... it’s worth all the trouble in the whole freaking world when someone hurts the people I care about, okay?”

“But, your hand-”

Irene’s voice was suddenly muffled by Wendy’s school robes as the younger girl had pulled her into a hug. It took a second for Irene to realize what happened before she tentatively wrapped her arms around Wendy as well.

Irene couldn’t help but notice how well they fit together.

“I’m okay, I promise,” Wendy said, hoping to comfort the girl in her arms. 

“Also, not to kill the mood, but you know that I’ll probably get worse injuries than this in the tournament so at least I’ll have some experience in that regard,” Wendy joked.

With her arms still wrapped around the younger’s body, Irene pulled back a little to see Wendy’s face and her eyebrows crinkled as a sign of worry, “That is so not funny!”

Wendy just continued to laugh as Irene kept calling her name to try and get her to stop. Once her laughter started to settle, Wendy looked at Irene with a smirk.

“I’m sorry, but...have I ever told you how cute you look when you crinkle your eyebrows?”

Wendy's mouth immediately shut, surprised at her own slip-up. On the flip side, it was Irene’s turn to become stuttering mess as her face began to heat up.

Before Irene could come up with a coherent sentence, she was left in even more shock as she felt a pair of lips kiss the space between her eyebrows causing them to flatten out.

By the time Irene came to, Wendy had pulled away completely and was already making her way up to the Ravenclaw dorm. 

“And that’s payback for last night,” Wendy said with one final toothy grin before disappearing up the staircase.