Rule 2: Sweet Lies

10 Rules
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♫ Jung Yeon Soo - Just One Bite


 

“If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor. ”

Eleanor Roosevelt


 

“Is there somewhere you’d like to go or something you’d like to eat? Since I’ve dragged you out with me, I should at least make sure you enjoy your food too and so that my treat won’t go to waste.” Sakura said as she looked at her phone for a good place nearby.

 

“It’s okay. You’re the one who’s hungry so you can choose. I probably won’t get anything anyway so don’t worry about me.” Chaeyeon replied. 

 

There she goes again, refusing my offer.

 

“Come on, don’t be like that.” Sakura said, trying to stick to her plan.

 

“There must be something around here that you’d like to eat.” 

 

The two girls wandered around the area for a bit, looking at the different food stalls. As they continued to search for a snack, Sakura found a stall that caught her attention.

 

“Crepes! Chaeyeon, let’s get Crepes.” Sakura said, excited.

 

The two walked over and began browsing the menu. 

 

“Ooh, they got all sorts. There are savory crepes too!” Sakura said, her eyes still glued to the menu.

 

“I’m feeling something sweet, so I think I’m gonna get the matcha chocolate one. But the mango one sounds good too. Hmm, I don’t know what to get now. Which one do you want, Chaeyeon?”

 

Sakura waited for a response, but there was none. She looked up from the menu, confused, but saw that Chaeyeon was gone from her side. She looked around her and saw Chaeyeon looking at another menu at another stall. Sakura quickly placed her order and told the guy making it that she’ll be back to get it once it was done. She rushed over to the stall that Chaeyeon was standing in front of and saw that it was a dango stand.

 

“You like dango?” Sakura asked from behind, spooking Chaeyeon a bit.

 

“Uh… yea.” Chaeyeon replied as she turned her attention back to the menu.

 

“Well, I like Korean rice cake, but dango is somewhat similar in texture.” Chaeyeon added.

 

“Is this really what you want?” Sakura asked, unsure.

 

Chaeyeon didn’t say anything but just nodded her head.

 

“You really don’t want anything, I don't know, a bit more expensive? I feel bad for treating you to something cheap.” Sakura asked again.

 

“Yea, this is fine.” Chaeyeon replied.

 

“Alright, dango it is then. They don’t seem to have much of a selection, but which one would you like? The colorful Hanami one? Or maybe something savory like the Mitarashi one?”

 

Chaeyeon placed a finger on her chin as she thought of what to get. She hesitated for a moment, but finally made her decision.

 

“I would like the Mitarashi one, please.”

 

“Cool. Here’s the cash. I think you’ll get yours first before I get mine so find us a seat nearby, okay? I’ll meet with you once I grab my crepe.” Sakura said as she handed Chaeyeon a 500 yen coin and rushed back to the crepe stall.

 

After receiving a small tray with her dango in it, Chaeyeon canvassed the area for a place to sit. Lucky for her, the stalls were near a park and a table nearby was empty. She walked to the table and brushed some of the debris off the seats before sitting. She didn’t have to wait long until Sakura joined her.

 

“You grabbed a good place.” Sakura said as she sat down. 

 

Before she could reply however, Chaeyeon was a little surprised upon seeing Sakura. Instead of just one crepe, Sakura had two in her hands.

 

“Are you that hungry?” Chaeyeon asked, somewhat amused.

 

“What? No. I couldn’t make up my mind so I ordered both.” Sakura replied, slightly embarrassed.

 

Sakura was about to dig in, but she was having a little trouble eating them since both of her hands were occupied. She tilted her head, but was still having problems. She then heard someone snickering. She looked away from her crepes and saw Chaeyeon covering , trying to suppress her laughter. 

 

“What? Are my struggles funny to you?” Sakura asked, slightly annoyed.

 

“N-no, I’m laughing at something else.” Chaeyeon replied, avoiding eye contact.

 

“Yea sure, laugh it up.” Sakura said, but ended up laughing at herself too.

 

She was just happy that she managed to make Chaeyeon laugh and that Chaeyeon was finally expressing herself in front of her now. After calming herself down though, Sakura noticed that Chaeyeon still hadn’t touched her dango yet.

 

“You should eat that before it cools down too much. It won’t be tasty by then.”

 

“Uh, right.” 

 

Chaeyeon picked up the stick and took a bite. She had a little trouble getting the first piece off the stick, but managed after tugging on it.

 

“Is it good?” Sakura asked, curious since Chaeyeon’s reaction seemed strange.

 

“Hmm, it’s ….okay.” Chaeyeon replied.

 

“Let me try.” Sakura suddenly said.

 

“W-what?” 

 

Chaeyeon was a bit surprised when Sakura leaned closer to her.

 

“You’re going to have to feed me since both of my hands are occupied.” Sakura said as she opened .

 

Chaeyeon seemed a bit weary, hesitant to feed Sakura but Sakura noticed.

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll let you have a bite of my crepes too.” Sakura reassured Chaeyeon in case she thought she was plotting to steal a bite.

 

Chaeyeon stalled for a moment but soon picked up the dango and placed it into Sakura’s mouth. Sakura tore a piece off and began chewing, but her expression soon turned disgruntled.

 

“It’s not that good.” Sakura said.

 

“It’s a bit hard to chew.” She added.

 

“It’s fine. It’s probably my fault for leaving it be for so long.” Chaeyeon replied.

 

“How much did you pay for this?” Sakura asked, but her tone became serious.

 

“Umm, 300 yen.” Chaeyeon said as she showed Sakura the leftover change.

 

“300?! They’re usually around 100 yen!”

 

“It’s fine Sakura.” Chaeyeon said, trying to calm her down.

 

“No it’s not. 300 yen isn’t much but it is for dango and yet it was that expensive for something not even good. I’m going to ask them to remake yours if they can.” 

 

Sakura got up from her seat and was about to head to the dango stall, but Chaeyeon called her back.

 

“Sakura!” 

 

Sakura turned around, surprised at Chaeyeon’s sudden loud voice.

 

“It’s fine. I told you it’s my fault already. Please, just sit down.” 

 

Chaeyeon had lowered her voice and sat back down. Sakura had also calmed down and sat in her seat. The atmosphere became a bit awkward as the two sat in silence.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to yell at you.” Chaeyeon spoke up.

 

“No, it’s not your fault. I just lost my cool for a moment.” Sakura said as she shook her head.

 

“It’s just that I said I’d treat you to something but then your food didn’t turn out so good.”

 

“I know you meant well, but it’s honestly not your fault. Really, don’t feel bad about it. I’ll pay you back the 300 yen if that makes you feel better.”

 

“No, it’s fine. I don’t care about the money. I just wanted to do something to make you happy.”

 

Chaeyeon was surprised at what Sakura had just said.

 

“Make me happy? Why?” Chaeyeon asked.

 

“Well, we’re friends now, but I feel like you act quite differently when you’re in front of me. You joke around and make fun of me when we text or talk on the phone, but when we meet in the library, you don’t even talk to me. I know you can’t force friendship and being friends is supposed to be effortless, but you still have to make some effort. Are you sure you even want to be my friend?” Sakura honestly replied.

 

Chaeyeon sighed as she saw Sakura hang her head low. She didn’t mean to make her feel that way so she felt guilty for doing that to her.

 

“I really do want to be your friend, it-it’s just….” Chaeyeon paused for a moment before continuing.

 

“....it’s just a bit difficult for me, that’s all. I’m sorry for making you feel that way. It wasn’t intentional. I just didn’t want to be a bother to you when you’re studying so hard.”

 

Sakura lifted her head, knowing fully well Chaeyeon meant no harm either. She smiled while softly calling for Chaeyeon.

 

“I figured that was the reason. I know you mean well, but I can take a break every once in a while too. In fact, I like it and talking to you has been fun. It relieves some of my stress, so it’s okay if we talk in person too instead of just late at night. Just treat me the same way you do as when we’re talking at night, okay.” 

 

Chaeyeon softly smiled and agreed. 

 

“Good. Now loosen up a bit. You don’t have to be so formal all the time, talk to me like a friend.” Sakura said.

 

“Okay.”

 

“Hmm… and t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter