14th January

Fourteen

Sowon gets ready to meet her best friend at a cafe. She is excited to tell Yerin what her new year's resolution and also asks the girl for help. Last night when she was celebrating the new year with her family, she is determine to put a stop to her loneliness. She will celebrate the 14th of every month with the girl she has been in love with every since middle school. From the first time she saw the petite girl, she already knew that her heart belongs to the girl. She didn't make a move because she was afraid, she didn't know if Eunha is into girls or not. The girl is treating everyone the same, Sowon didn't see Eunha favours one gender over the other. Eunha didn't date any of the boys who asked her out though, so, Sowon knows she still has a chance. Hence, the determination she just found last night. 

"Finally!," exclaims Yerin once Sowon finished telling her the real reason they are here today.

Sowon shoots a quizzical stares at Yerin, demanding an explanation. "You've been doting on her for how many years now? Three? Four? It's about time that you make a move."

Sowon puts four fingers up, slurping the hot coffee she ordered. The drinks the cafe serves are delicious, and the ambiance is soothing, and the people here, Sowon's eyes that were wandering around the cafe fixed on a person. 

"This place will be our place to hang out, okay? And I have a good feeling that I will be having coffee with Eunha next month on Valentine's." 

"Attagirl! That's the confidence we need. But, that's a tad too cocksure, Sowon ah," Yerin takes another bite of the cake that is also really delicious, that happened to be freshly baked in the cafe every day according to what is written on the cafe's glass window.

"I'm serious Yerin. Looks like the God of Love is blessing me. Look who's here in the cafe. And by the look of it, she is working here." 

"Who's here?" Yerin asks, following the direction of Sowon's finger to a petite girl who is reading books to children at the reading corner.

The cafe is a book cafe, and unlike most of the book cafe, they have a reading corner for children. It wasn't the reason why Sowon likes the cafe, but it just becomes the reason. Sowon's eyes glued to Eunha, her lips automatically quirk when the girl glances at her. Probably the girl feels someone is staring at her, that's why she looks at Sowon's direction. 

"Yah! stop staring at her, you are looking like a psycho," Yerin snaps her finger in front of Sowon's face, getting the girl's attention off Eunha.

Sowon grins cheerfully. She then tells Yerin everything she plans to do to get the girl she has been in love with for four years. The plan to get Eunha starts with shopping for the best 2020 diary that is still left. She only came up with the plan last night. Oh yes, she stayed up late last night figuring out a plan to woo Eunha and she came across these 14th day celebration each month. It starts with 'Diary Day' on 14th of January.

The two final year high school girls walk to the shopping mall near the cafe in a mission to find the perfect 2020 diary or whatever is left on the shelf. It's the first day of the year, and only a few people buy diary for the current year. If someone uses diary, they must have bought them before new year. People who use diary will plan ahead, that's why they bought them early. 

"You do know that this is like the third store we go, so stop being picky, just take one. There will be no decent diary left on new year, they have all been picked up by those who plan ahead. And why are you so worked up to get one with dates, you are giving her a diary, not a planner. Pick up one of those cute books," Yerin pointed at the books or some called it journals.

Sowon sighs and gives Yerin the eye. Her best friend's ignorance of the dates' importance is really testing her patience, as much as Yerin's. Of course it's important for the diary she is going to give Eunha has dates in them. Why one might asks? Because she is going to mark the important dates that they will be celebrating together. Of course all the 14's in the calendar will be marked because those are the important milestones in their relationship. Yes, this diary will be a planner and a reminder at the same time. This diary plays the important key and witness to their newly build relationship. 

"Hurry up already, the staff is looking at us for quite some time now, like we are going to steal something," urged Yerin, shaking Sowon's body.

"Okay, okay. You can't rush the process of love. And they are right, I was going to ask you to cover for me while I slipped one of these in my bag," says Sowon, standing up from squatting on the floor.

"Are you kidding me? You are going to start a relationship that way? Starts a relationship with honesty, Sowon-ah..." Yerin looks at Sowon disbelievingly.

"Fine...oh well look at here, someone grabs a diary as well," Sowon jeers, unsatisfied with what Yerin suggested.

When Sowon sees what Yerin is holding onto, Yerin gets flustered, trying to hide the diary behind her. Sowon laughs. For someone who was just ridiculed her for wanting to give a diary to girl, saying how it's old fashion, Yerin had already picked out one. If she has to guess, Yerin will be giving that to the girl she is getting close with, SinB.

"Tch, you said it like you don't have any money to pay for things. I think I know why are we failing in school, it's because you like stealing. You stole our books, pens, pencils and all sorts of things," says Yerin, trying to bring the conversation away from what she is holding and the plan comes with it.

"You mean us. And serves the corporate world right!" 

"That's our fathers' source of income, the money they use to feed us, you idiot! And just so you know, I quit doing that long time ago, when I started seeing SinB," Yerin rebutted.

Sowon stares into Yerin's eyes without saying anything or even move. 

"I look at her when we meet, so that counts as seeing. Right?" 

"Yeah...right. That is what we call, one-sided seeing, hahahaha. You and I, we are the same. Let's hope we will end our single time this year. And this diary will be witnessing our blooming love relationship," says Sowon enthusiastically, lifting the diary high up before holding it close to her chest.

"I'm a step nearer than you, my one-sided seeing will be seeing and dating. I hope yours will be too by the end of this year. If not, we can always buy a diary again or should you just buy two today?" Yerin smiles when Sowon was taken aback. She purposely friend.

"Okay, I'll buy two to give one to SinB. Just to be sure that I will end my single life this year."

Sowon proceeds to get a diary from the shelf but Yerin was quick with her hand, blocks her from doing so. Sowon just grins at her best friend, and they laugh. They have been friends since kindergarten. Their fathers are friends, both of them are doing business and that's how they become neighbours as well. It seems that Sowon's mother asked Yerin's to move in when a house that is a few doors next to them are open for sale almost ten years ago. Since then, they have attended the same kindergarten, elementary school, middle school and now high school. Most of the time, they were in the same class, regardless of it, they have always been partner in crime.

Sowon, unbelievably have this habit of stealing, and Yerin has always been the one on the look out for her. Although the tall girl always justifies her action of not really stealing because she only does it in one of her father's stores, Yerin still tries to bring her back to the right path. Not that Yerin is so righteous, she is naughty as well, but, stealing is not something she wanted to be listed in her skills. Yerin sighs and smiles all by herself. It is like Sowon said, ever since she started hanging around SinB more, she changed. Not by a lot, but she admits that she has changed to be a better one. She still cuts classes, but it has lessened. SinB didn't really say it out loud that she should change, but the girl sometimes asked questions about her behaviour and actions. She figured it out the meaning behind those questions and decided to stop doing things she shouldn't been doing as a soon-to-be high school senior.

"You are embarrassing me. Stop smiling like an idiot and pay. You were the one who wanted to pay," Sowon smacks Yerin on the girl's shoulder, bringing her back from her trance. Yerin smiles at the cashier and starts paying for the journal that she bought for SinB, heavily influenced by Sowon.

***

It's only the second day of January, but Sowon is already eager to wait for the 14th day of January. She smiles from cheek to cheek when she looks at the diary on her study. The diary is ready to go to her rightful owner, Eunha, in twelve days. Last night, she already marked all the important dates in the diary. She wrote down all her contact details to make it easier for Eunha to contact her. Her mobile phone number, all her SNS accounts, her email which she has not once checked, but will be checked every hour after this. And not to forget, her house address, in case Eunha wants to write letters to her like an old school lover. She did have to ask her house's helper the address seeing that she never care about it and she wasn't allowed to buy things online, so the address is no importance for her.

Surprisingly, the helper also didn't know, so, they ended up searching for an old bill for the address. Technological world sometimes make people out of touch with the world. Nowadays everything are being communicated paperless, via email. They were lucky that they found a very old electrical bill with the address printed on it that has faded. Sowon just hoped that the address is correct while praying that Eunha doesn't decide to write her a letter.

In the diary, Sowon already marked their important dates such as her birthday, Eunha's birthday, their anniversary as well as the 14th day of each month. Although they are yet to be officially dating, Sowon already pick a date to be their anniversary and planned to propose to Eunha on that day. She was contemplating on the date though. Originally, she thought her birthday would be a good date, but then she has to wait till the end of the year, and she knows she could not wait that long to make Eunha her's. Then, she thought of Eunha's birthday could be the girl's and their's special date, but decided that was especially disadvantageous for her.

Her naughty, wild thought swayed her to change the date, thinking that if they have more special occasions, she would get special treatments more. She could get new year's kiss, Valentine's Day's kiss, birthday kiss, anniversary kiss, Chuseok's kiss, Christmas's kiss, and end of year's kiss. See how many kissess she would get if all special occasions are separated? That's how she came to a decision to mark a date in early April for their anniversary. Why? Because setting it in January, seems to be impossible to achieve. In February will make her look overzealous and she doesn't want to overwhelm Eunha.

There is another two Tuesdays before Sowon could give the diary to Eunha. She already know that she will have two weeks of sleepless night and she will spend these precious time planning how to present the diary to Eunha, how to propose (it is too soon, but there is nothing wrong with planning and early preparation) and what gifts should she give Eunha on their anniversary. Sowon fell asleep smiling while busy planning her future with Eunha. 

***

"Wake up! You are going to be late for school!" Yerin's high pitch screaming piercing Sowon's eardrum.

She wanted to yell back at Yerin, but she glances over to check the time and realized she is super late. She and Yerin both have set the same goal for 2020, that they will not be late to school anymore. There are two reasons why did they decide on that, one is because they are going to end their single lives and being bad girls for years, have never done them any good especially the girls they are into are smart girls who takes skipping clasess seriously. Two, they are in their senior years and being the bad girls would only lower their chances of getting accepted into colleges that they wanted to go to. And, if they still want to live with their parents' supports, financially, that is, they need to improve their grades. Both of them have received a warning from their fathers seeing that they are amongst students with low performance.

Sowon looks at Eunha from afar and thought that new year has made the girl even more beautiful than she was in 2019. Sowon really didn't know that Eunha could get even prettier than she already is. And, right there and then, her heart melted for the nth time since she first saw Eunha years ago. By the time she comes back to her senses, Eunha is already out of her reach. Sowon jogs forwards hoping that she could get to Eunha before the girl enters her class. Thanks to her long legs, she managed to catch up to Eunha.

"Eunha-ssi, can I talk to you for a minute?" asks Sowon, panting heavily from her light jog. That's a sign for her to get back into shape after laying around and eating whatever she wanted to for the whole school holidays.

"Em, yes, sure." Eunha agrees although she is a bit reluctant because today is her first day in high school and a senior already calls to meet her.

Eunha stood there waiting for Sowon to say something, anything, but the taller girl just look through her without blinking. Sowon starts to moves her lips but nothing comes out of . No sound at all. She clears as if that's the problem causing her to stand in front of the love of her life like a fool.

"Can we go somewhere quieter?" asks Sowon, stuttering.

Once again, Eunha agrees. Only this time, she flags her friends to tell them to go to class first without her. She, somehow is the one leading the way to a corner of the nearest building with Sowon on tow. Eunha is feeling weirder with what has happened and what is entails. 

Sowon takes a breather, mustering her courage to give Eunha with the diary she has specially prepared for the girl. She fishes out the diary from her bag and hand it to Eunha shakily like she was being pressured to do so at gunpoint.

Eunha although bewildered by the sudden gift giving takes the wrapped object. She just stares at it with no intention of doing anything to the object. Her eyes alternately staring at the gift and Sowon, asking for some sort of explanation.

Once again, Sowon mustered all her courage and say "happy 14th of January, I hope you can write everything about you and me, us, in this diary. Let's marked our journey in here."

Eunha is taken aback by what she just heard and witness. She froze as she does not know how to respond. Luckily, the bell rings and that gives her an excuse to leave without responding to the tall girl's hopeful's request. Yes. Sowon said it with much enthusiasm and full of hope that it was expressed through her voice and sparkling eyes. 

"Sorry," utters Eunha when Sowon does not seem to hear her the first time. She would not want to leave Sowon just like that although she really wanted to.

"Ah, yes. Okay. I'll see you around, right?" Sowon finally get back to her senses responded to Eunha parting bid, but the last part might have been too low as the girl doesn't respond to her.

Eunha walks away without responding any further to Sowon. She walks straight to her class where her friends are waiting. Her mind is flooded with questions such as what is the 14th January being celebrated for? what's with the diary? why does she have to write about her, the girl and them in the diary? and what journey is she talking about? Eunha knew the senior by her name and reputation, it's Kim Sowon. That's because they went to the same middle school. Sowon is quite famous for her mischievous behaviour and her athletic skills. But, that is all she knew about her.

***
"Yah! What are you doing?" asks Yerin while slapping Sowon who is standing frozen at the corner of the building.

Sowon, for the nth time this morning comes back to her senses after losing it because of Eunha. She looks at her best friend and tell her briefly what she had done a few minutes ago.

"What?! Why did you do that? Today is the 6th, you were supposed to give her on the 14th. That is next week!" Yerin slaps Sowon's head and her forehead.

"Well... I kept the diary in my bag. And I was listening to GFriend's song on my way to school-"

"Wait, let me guess, Navillera?" asks Yerin, bopping her head as she sings the song.

'saeropge sijakhae bollae neo geurigo na
sarangeul donggyeonghae apeurodo jal butakhae
moadun maeumeul jugesseo
geurigo na manyang gidarijin anheullae'

"Yes. And when I reach school, there she was. And I got carried away, I asked her if we can talk and she said yes. I gave her the diary and if I remember correctly, I told her to write about her and me, about us. About our journey..." 

"You didn't..." Yerin ask, couldn't believe what she just heard. Sowon nods her head weakly. Yerin couldn't say anything but to let out a whimper. 

"But she didn't respond..." says Sowon at an attempt to positively turn the awkward situation into something that is more awkward.

"And you think that is a good sign?" Yerin shakes her head, frustrated with her friend and her lack of socio cognitive skills pertaining to wooing girls.

"Let's just hope for the best, okay?" 

Yerin side-hugs Sowon, dragging her to their class before they got scolded on the first day of school. 

"Cheer up Sowon-ah. At least you get to see her once again today. Look at how cute she is laughing with her friends. Hey, look at her friend too. No offence, in my eyes, her friend, SinB is prettier than Eunha."

Sowon and Yerin both had their eyes glued to the two new girls in the school standing in line, laughing with some other girls as they wait for the welcoming ceremony to begin. They both never spoken a word afterward as they are enjoying the beautiful faces of their crushes.