1.2: Death of A Good Man

Of Demons & Blades
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Seulgi, can I talk with you about something?” Hanbin asked troubledly.

 


“Sure, what do you wanna talk about?” Sensing the worry written on his face, Seulgi asked Joohyun to bring Heejin to another room through telepathy.

 


“So, what is it?”

 


“I don’t think I should stay here.” 

 


“Are you saying my place isn’t comfy enough? Beggars can’t be choosers, Hanbin.” Seulgi teased, trying to lighten up the mood.

 


“No no, that’s not what I meant. It’s just I don’t think it’s safe for me to be with Heejin.” Waving both his hands frantically to deny Seulgi, Hanbin reasoned out his words.

 


“What’s not safe, you’re a strong demon and I’m a demon lord. Worst that could come is six Knights jumping on us.”

 

 

“Lord Jiyong's targeting my life too, and what if you’re not there? I don’t want an innocent child to be dragged into this mess. Her parents dying is already enough for her to deal with.”

 


“Then what do you want to do then? You can’t just leave her alone right?” 

 


“Can the church take her in?”

 


“Hmm, both her parents were high ranked demon slayers. I supposed the church would, if I remember correctly, the church has a home for orphans who lost their parents to demons.” Rubbing her chin, Seulgi recalled what she remembered of the church. While Seulgi thought that Hanbin would be capable enough to keep Heejin safe, she respected his choice.

 


“What about you then? What are you gonna do when you leave?” 

 


“I'll like to go back to Inferno and remain hidden but the Gates of Pride wouldn’t open for me.”

 


“That wouldn’t be a problem, I can let you use mine.”

 


“Really? I can use your gate?”

 


Entering and leaving the Inferno is not an easy task as there are only seven Gates of Inferno. Each gate is owned by each of the seven Demon Lords and the names of each gate would be named after their respective mortal sins. Of course, there are other means to enter the Inferno without having to go through the Seven Gates of Inferno but they are too risky, too dangerous. It is only through the Seven Gates of Inferno that you are guaranteed to return or exit in one piece.

 


With all the seven gates being owned by the Demon Lords, no demon would be able to open the gates unless they have permission and with permission comes a contract. Demons who would like to pass through the gates would be forced to sign life bound contracts with Demon Lords swearing their loyalty. This ensured that no demon would serve under two Demon Lords at once and any betrayal will result in being banished from either the Inferno or the human world. 

 


No Demon Lord would usually sign a contract with an exiled in order to avoid conflict with other Demon Lords unless the certain exiled would be able to be put to good use.

 


“You can use it Hanbin, it hasn’t been opened for more than centuries though. Don’t know if it still works.”

 


“Thank you, Seulgi” He may not look it, but Hanbin was really grateful Seulgi was willing to lend a helping hand.

 


“No need to thank me, no one even uses it anyways. But, I need a favour from you, Hanbin.”

 


“What is it?” 

 


“When you get back into the Inferno, I need you to gather as much information as you can about what the other Demon Lords are doing right now.”

 


“Why? Any particular reason?”

 


“Something doesn’t feel right. I mean, from what I know, Jiyong doesn’t really come out doesn’t he? He only comes to the human world for important things.”

 


Ever since Jiyong had been injured and weakened, he had found himself a demon who would represent him for matters regarding the human world since his body would not be able to pass through the gates. 

 


Having his body weakened, Jiyong would need to feed on more human souls and sins but normal human souls would not be enough. He would need the likes of demon slayers who have strong souls or Knights who have links with the seven virtue as this provides a strong life force for them.

 


Taeyong had been chosen as Jiyong’s right hand man, the one who would represent him and collect souls and sins from the human world for him to feed on. But, that does not mean Jiyong does not appear on Earth. He only comes out of the Inferno -through possession of strong human bodies- when there are serious matters.

 


“I know a bit about this matter, Seulgi.” Hearing this, Seulgi's eyebrows had perked up.

 


“What do you know then?”

 


“I think he’s preparing for his return, it’s been almost half a millennium since he had stepped foot on Earth.” This piece of news definitely would not sit well with the church.

 


“So he's finally well enough to pass through the gates again huh, well I guess it makes sense. It's been almost five hundreds already.” 

 


“What are you gonna do, Seulgi?”

 


“What do you mean what? You think I’m going to interfere?”

 


“I mean, you are helping a demon slayer are you not?”

 


“I’m only teaching her, I’m never going to do anything for that church. They can all burn in hell for all I care.”

 

 

 

 

 

*****

 

 

 

 


Seulgi had told Joohyun about what she just talked about with Hanbin -minus Jiyong’s plans. Joohyun may not have liked Hanbin but she knew he and the human child had a strong relationship. So, she couldn’t bare to see such a beautiful relationship between a demon and a human child become broken.

 


Seulgi had suggested that they let Hanbin spent his final moments in this human world without worries and that is why, they were at a park enjoying ice cream that evening. Joohyun and Seulgi both stood at the side watching Hanbin playing tag with Heejin. 

 


“Hard for you to imagine isn’t it?”

 


“Imagine what?”

 


“That a demon and a human could actually coexist and be nice with each other.”

 


“Of course, I’ve been avoiding them all my life knowing they harm humans.”

 


“Not all of them are like this, Joohyun. Look at Hanbin, he couldn’t even bring himself to kill the people trying to kill him when he clearly overpowers them.” 

 


“It doesn’t change the fact that demons are still harmful to us humans.” Joohyun's counter was right. In fact, too right that Seulgi could only sigh. 

 


When Heejin was finally tired and stopped playing with Hanbin, Seulgi had decided she and Hanbin should take a picture together for remembrance. And so, a polaroid card with the picture of an awkward Hanbin holding the hand of a cute young Heejin was taken.

 


As beautiful as the moment was, Seulgi just could not let go of an opportunity to tease Joohyun. So, she sneaked up on her and kiss her cheeks while she took the photo with the polaroid camera she had pulled out from her dimensional pocket. 

 


“What the hell, Seulgi!” Blushing madly was quite the understatement at that moment for Joohyun as she pushed Seulgi away and slapped her forearm.

 


“Ouch! You’ve hurt me, Joo Joo! I demand a kiss!” She feigned hurt which was responded with cusses and slaps from Joohyun.

 


It did not take a genius, to know that Seulgi had a special relationship with the human girl. Hanbin thought it was just a simple teacher-student relationship like Seulgi had said but things definitely did not look and sound convincing looking at how they both interacted.

 


‘Maybe you don’t hate the humans as much as they say, Lord Seulgi.’ 

 


After a while, they had decided that Hanbin would make his departure back into the Inferno. They even had everything planned out, after Hanbin returns to the Inferno, they were going to wipe Heejin's memories of the time she spent with him.

 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter