[fin.]

Hide and Seek
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wiping her sweaty forehead, Seulgi trudged along the sidewalk in a painstaking pace.

"Summer weren't as hot back then." She whispered to herself, clutching on to her bag strap tightly. She continued to walk towards her dreaded place.

After seeing the front gate of the school, she froze on her spot. She hasn't been here for months now, maybe even years, she lost track of time since that day. She didn't even know what day today is. Grasping her bag, she walked away, not sparing a glance back.

Seulgi mindlessly wondered around, finally stopping at what seems like a quiet place. She sat on an unoccupied bench and just laid there. She sagged down the seat, her head lazily hanging on the back rest of the wooden bench. 

Her eyes laid upon leaves that were full of life, swaying rythmically with the hot wind of summer. She sighed. What a contrast to her own life.

She stayed for that spot until her limbs went numb, until it hurt to move, her own body stinging itself with great numbness. The sun had already set, leaving her upset at how beautiful it looked, painting the horizon with majestic hues.

She once loved sunsets, but she now dreaded its reminder of having another tomorrow.

Seulgi managed to not get late to her night shift by running at the store in full speed. She bowed down to her manager, who checked his wristwatch before nodding his head towards the back room.

With an apron around her usual work clothes, she began arranging video games on each aisle.

She didn't know why she chose this job since it reminded her of her past, but anything that would distract her mind from thinking too much is better than being cooed up in her house and drowning in regret.

"Welcome to VidGame Wonderland, how can I help you?" Her monotone voice greeted the boy who's currently in front of the cash register.

"Ah yes, do you have the new game?" He gruffly replied, his voice cracking at the middle of his question. Seulgi didn't even bother to laugh, seeing his reddening face. Sighing deeply, she went back to the back room to collect the new game the boy was asking about.

"Is this the one? This is the newest installment." She informed him. And when he nodded, she quickly scanned the item under the red light of the scanner. She placed it inside a bag before handing it to the awaiting boy.

"That will be 10 dollars." Voice still void of emotions, she took the money from his hand before handing him the receipt. Waving him off, she looked back at the game he was holding before asking for the newer game. She immediately took it off from the counter and tossed it aside, not liking the effect it had on her and how it made her buried emotions resurface.

Hearing the doors chime, she readied herself to say the usual greeting. But her lips stayed still as she gazed back at her friend. Or is she an ex-friend?

"S-seulgi?" The girl in front of her muttered, clearly baffled at Seulgi's presence.

"Yeri." Seulgi said, voice low and indistinguishable. She looked down at her apron before gazing back up at the girl's eyes.

"I haven't seen you for a long time," Yeri paused, a smile slowly forming on her lips. "Who knew video games would bring us back together huh?" 

Seulgi rolled her eyes, but a small smile painted her thin lips. She admits, she had missed the younger girl.

"What do you want?" She asked, a playful harshness evident in her voice. Yeri laughed at the bear, clearly amused with her antics.

"Is that how you treat a costumer?" She gasped, playing along, but instead it earned her a look from the manager. He walked towards Seulgi and asked what was wrong.

"I was hoping to buy a video game, but your cashier was talking rudely to me!" She exclaimed, using exaggerated hand gestures to emhpasize her point. Yeri held back her laugh when Seulgi's eyes widened, forming an "O" shape, obviously forming her defense statement.

But before she can say anything, her manager shook his head and asked her to retire for the night, knowing that she was having trouble all through out her work hours.

Sighing heavily, she went to the back room to take off her pale uniform. She headed outside, just to see Yeri waving an ice cream stick to her direction.

They walked beside each other, the dim streetlights guiding their path. 

"What happened to you Seul? You haven't gone to any classes since..." Yeri trailed off, looking at the taller girl beside her, who only looked back at the moon. They stopped walking for a moment, the glow of the moon taking Seulgi by surprise. She hasn't seen it glow so brightly before.

"I don't know Yerm, I don't know." And with her answer they continue to walk towards Seulgi house, occasionally eating their respective ice cream pop until it was gone.

Reaching Seulgi's dark house, Yeri smiled. It hasn't change, still the same old boring but cozy house. She looked at the older girl, who shifted on her feet.

"Nice meeting you again Yerm, take care." Seulgi said, turning her back against Yeri to enter her house. But before she does, Yeri held her back, a tight grip enveloping her arm.

"Please Seul, it's been months already. You can't continue to miss school because of what happened." Yeri said, eyes begging. Seulgi stared at her, already crawling back to the shell she had made. Shutting everyone out was an advantage for her, especially at times like this. 

"Stop it Yerim, you don't have any right to say that. Did you even mourn?" She said, her eyes sending fiery glares at Yeri's face.

"All of us mourned, but you can't live on with the past Seul. Seungwan unnie is dead!" Yeri shouted, emotions already overflowing. She leaned closer to the statue girl, pointing an accusing finger on her chest.

"You can't always shut everyone out just because of what happened. You're not the only one who suffered, who continues to suffer. We all did, and we're all here Seul. You can't shut us out." Her voice gradually toning down, breaking at each word. She held back the tears as she continued to stare at Seulgi's stoic face.

"You can't put all the blame on yourself." Her last statement finally pulled a reaction out of the girl, but a loudly closed door on her face isn't the one she was expecting. Sighing, she looked at the popsicle stick on her hand.

"Friendship." It read.

---

Her morning alarm blared, successfully waking the sleepy Seulgi up. She reached an arm out to hit the alarm's snooze button, but a soft feeling stopped her arm from wandering further. Furrowing her eyebrows with eyes still closed, she continued to poke on to the soft object.

"Seul." A familiar voice whispered, and it made her eyes flutter open.

Bright blue eyes that resembled the fiesty ocean greeted her. Seulgi smiled, it was her favorite pair of eyes that brought calmness to wash over her. But the calmness soon turned into confusion then to horror when the figure leaned back, her body still hovering on top of Seulgi.

Seulgi scampered to the farthest corner of her bed, still staring at the familiar girl that's currently rubbing her in pain.

"You didn't have to do that Seul." She said with the same voice as Seulgi remembered. She had her lips in a pout, still rubbing the sore spot on her bottom.

Seulgi sat on her bed, wide eyed. She was scared less, who wouldn't be if you saw your dead friend sitting on the floor of your bedroom?

"S-seungwan?" She uttered, voice shaky and unsure. The shorter girl just looked at her, confused at her weird behavior, it was just her, Seungwan, Seulgi's best friend.

Seungwan stood up from her sitting position and went nearer to Seulgi's bed, sitting beside the still bewildered girl.

"Are you okey Seul?" She asked, placing her hand on Seulgi's forehead to check her temperature. Her touch sent tingles down Seulgi's spine, and just like that everything turned black.

Fluttering her eyes open, she was relieved when no blue orbs stared back, but her relief turned into something worse when she heard the sweet voice again.

"Oh Seul, you're awake already. I tried to cook, but you didn't have anything." Seulgi stared at the younger girl beside her, whose hands rested on her lap respectfully. She looked at Seulgi with a pair of innocent dazed eyes and it almost made Seulgi cry.

"Seungwan, what are you doing here?" Seulgi asked, finally having the courage to ask her a question. Seungwan tilted her head, confused at the question.

'Maybe she doesn't know.' Seulgi thought, scratching her head.

"I don't know why I'm here Seul. I think I left some business to take care of." Seungwan admitted, fidgeting with her dainty fingers. She looked small at the moment, it made Seulgi's heart melt. Clearing , she got off her bed and went to the kitchen to prepare herself some snacks.

Silence enveloped the best friends as Seulgi slurped her ramen. Her eyes remained on the familiar yet unfamiliar girl, trying to take her all in. Her features haven't changed much, except for the chiseled jaw and the hollowness of her cheeks. She watched how Seungwan roamed the living space, hands touching the furnitures. She stopped at a dresser that contained a picture frame, it was a picture of them all together.

"Aren't you dead, Wan?" Seulgi carefully asked, hoping that it wasn't a sensitive topic to reach. 

Seungwan smiled, she caressed the picture frame, her finger stopping on her own face.

"I know I am." She replied, a sad smile blooming on . She looked back at the taller girl and walked towards her.

"That's why you're gonna help me be in peace!" She exclaimed, the sad smile being replaced with her usual bright and charming grin. It made Seulgi smile as well.

"But for you to do that, all of you needs to work together." Seungwan added, her face full of determination and her fists clenched. Seulgi gulped at the favor, clearly scared of the thought of all four of them finally talking to each other.

"We haven't been in contact since," Seulgi said, not adding much detail after. She fidgeted with her chopsticks when Seungwan leaned forward to her face,

"Please Seul." And that made Seulgi crumble, how can she ever resist Seungwan anyway?

---

Yeri fanned herself with the fan made for the dried fishes. It was a scorching hot day and she doesn't even care about the smelly fan, she just wanted cold air. 

A loud smack of the door being opened caught her off guard.

"Yeri." Seulgi muttered, seeing the distraught and surprised Yeri lounging on the cashier register. 

The younger girl widened her eyes at Seulgi's sudden entrance, but what surprised her the most is the audacity, the audacity of the girl to barge in without any notice or warning.

"You really like smacking doors huh?" Yeri said, smirking at the annoyed expression present on Seulgi's face.

Seungwan looked at Seulgi before her eyes landed on Yeri, and without any second thoughts she went towards the younger girl to hug her, but her figure just passed by her body. This made Seungwan upset.

Seulgi watched, amazed and slightly worried after Seungwan tried to hug Yeri. 

"Seungwan..." She accidentally muttered, earning her a sigh from the shorter girl in front of her. Yeri shook her head, wiping sweat away from her forehead.

"Unnie," Yeri replied, seeing the look Seulgi had on her face. She went to the latter and hugged her tightly, rubbing her back to comfort her.

"Yeri, Seungwan needs us." Seulgi finally said, having enough of the sad eyes Seungwan casted on them.

Yeri looked at her before bursting out into laughter. She held her stomach, it was hurting with the loudness of her laugh. But because of the stoic expression that was still painted on Seulgi's face, she knew that the girl wasn't kidding, and so she sighed. 

Anything for a restored friendship.

"Okay then what do you want me to do?" She asked, smiling too brightly.

All this while, Seungwan's eyes continued to watch them, a smile permanently resting on her face. Even with the unsuccessful hug, she was happy that the two finally talked. She placed her hand on her clothed chest and breathed deeply. Right, she was the reason why the two seperated.

Her self blaming was cut off when Seulgi whispered her name, she looked back to find two curious eyes staring at her.

"She's there?" Yeri asked, putting up an act and still not believing the taller girl. Seulgi nodded eagerly, beckoning Seungwan to come closer. 

However, before Seulgi could prove herself, Yeri's mother interrupted them.

"Sorry Seul, I'll drop by tomorrow okay?" Yeri said, resting her hand on Seulgi's shoulder before completing the task her mother just ordered her to do.

They walked home, side by side. Seungwan never uttered a word even after their visit to Yeri's place and it made Seulgi worried.

"Are you okay Wan?" She asked, kicking small stones along their way. The sunset still looked beautiful in Seulgi's eyes, and this time, it didn't make her upset. She smiled.

"Do you think we'll be able to talk with Joohyun unnie and Sooyoung?" Seungwan said, not answering the question directed at her. Just like Seulgi, she kicked some rocks littering the path.

"After that day, they were insperable. They're even in the same school now, it wouldn't be hard to talk to the both of them since they're always together." Seulgi explained, her hands resting inside her pockets. Seungwan hummed, satisfied at her explanation.

They continued to walk side by side, admiring the colors of the sky until they finally got home.

"Hey Seul, do you have pockies?" Seungwan asked, lips forming a small pout with her request. Seulgi shook her he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter