[1/7]

Ride to Being

The best part of the track was always the first jump. Baekhyun stood on deck of the quarter-pipe, looking out over the ring. It held several ramps, rails and a mean-looking channel. One foot on the paddle of his BMX, the other keeping him grounded in the quiet before the storm. He took a deep breath and let the audience’s sounds die as his vision focused on the clouds above him. A palpable tension shook through his core, he can’t let fear get the better of him. From the second his feet left the ground and the wheels took over, he felt alive.

 

The feeling didn’t last long and Baekhyun still bore the aftermath of his fall. A millimetre off and his bike missed the balance, causing it to slip and get stuck. Face first he launched over his own vehicle. Humiliating to say the least, the competition lost alongside his hope to win. A look in the mirror told him his skin had some issues recovering too. The scraped skin on his forehead and nose was still red and angry.

He had been a BMX rider since the age of 13. Only a few years later he started competing, though he never found success after reaching the adult competitions. Actually, he caught himself making stupid mistakes more often than not. He always imagined himself becoming a world champion. He did not give up his dream, like he had given up on college to pursue said dream.

 

It was Saturday and the ring was already buzzling with people. Living in a relatively small city meant only one ring, shared by riders, skaters and wheelers. It was not too bad, even though it would get a little dangerous with skateboards losing their owners and so many going flat-faced in the pit.

‘Looking good, baby. Going for red today?’ Chanyeol yelled from across the room. It took Baekhyun a moment longer to spot him.

‘Shut up, ,’ Baekhyun sneered back as he approached him.

‘I meant the make-up. But yeah, your face looks pretty beaten up too.’ He grinned devilishly.

‘Do you like it?’ Baekhyun put his fists on his chin and pouted his lips. With eyeliner and a smoky red on his eyelids, Baekhyun surely made a name out of himself over the years, both in the ring and in competitions. Chanyeol used to join him in the black and bright neon colours in dress and paints on his face, but he ‘grew out of it’. Whatever, let him be the goddamn hipster he wants to be, Baekhyun enjoyed the alternative style better.

‘You know I’d never tell you otherwise,’ Chanyeol replied and gave him a hug. When he retracted, he inspected Baekhyun’s scabs. ‘That must have hurt. Are you alright?’

Baekhyun sighed. ‘I’m fine, it’s just my ego that is hurt. I fell face flat at the second jump. I’m such a failure.’

Chanyeol’s hand that still rested on his shoulder rubbed soothing circles.

‘Don’t beat yourself up, you will do better next time.’

Baekhyun nodded a silent thank you. Even though they played around often, Chanyeol always knew the right things to say. Another familiar face joined their circle.

‘Hey guys-, wow, Baekhyun. Your face.’ The man stumbled over his words when he saw Baekhyun. ‘I take it you didn’t win the competition?’

‘Hey Jongin. Nope, Zitao won, which would have been the case even if I didn’t eat concrete.’ Baekhyun joked. Chanyeol had introduced him to Jongin, a few years his junior and avid skateboarder like Chanyeol.

‘Zitao is so talented,’ Jongin said without a thought. You could see the moment he realized his words with Baekhyun right next to him, a shock of horror quickly followed by soft compliments how talented he is too.

‘It’s okay, I know it’s true. It’s a good thing he’s a friend too. Have you seen him today?’

Chanyeol shook his head. ‘Not yet. Anyhow, it’s time to practice.’ He kicked the skateboard’s tail and caught it with his hand. They waved goodbye and all took their separate jumps into the ring.

 

Baekhyun went to train with some of the other BMXers. It was a shame Chanyeol left riding after a few years. He excused himself from the sport saying his legs were too long for those tiny bikes, yet Zitao had as much leg as him and managed just fine. On occasion, he would ride with him, and Baekhyun would take up the skateboard every once in a while too.

Nowadays, his days at the ring were purely training, not the fun lollygagging they used to do. He had to, if he wanted to become pro. Baekhyun promised his mom to eat home tonight, otherwise he would have pushed himself to train longer. At 5pm, he called it a day. Chanyeol spotted him trying to come over to him.

‘Meet you tonight?’ Chanyeol asked, looking as sweaty as Baekhyun felt. He had been trying to master a new trick, but it was more difficult than expected.

Baekhyun nodded. ‘See you at the bar.’

 

 

Around 3 days a week, Baekhyun and his friends met up at their local bar called Shinin’. They used to hang out at the Skating hall all evening, but nowadays they lock up early after some unsupervised accidents happened.  Luckily, they were of legal age when they fortified the rule, otherwise they’d be forced to hang on the streets like most young skaters do.

Since Chanyeol only lives a block away from Baekhyun, they met up at Baekhyun’s house to walk together. They were a little shocked to find over five burly motorcycles in front of the bar.

Chanyeol gaped at them, barely containing himself from touching.

‘These are so cool!’ He exclaimed.

‘Don’t say that, haven’t you heard about the Devil’s Desert from the town next to us?’ Baekhyun spat. The local news had been filled with their name.

‘One of them has a pink bike… They cannot be that bad, right? Should have called themselves Devil’s Dessert instead.’ Chanyeol scoffed at the sturdy Harley, elegant in shape, the pure prime of masculine pride, dyed candy cane pink.

‘Don’t let that fool you. They’ve been terrorizing neighbourhoods. Last week, the news was even covering a shooting.’ 

‘ eh, you think they’re onto the next town to ruin it? Didn’t they break down the city hall over there?’

Baekhyun shrugged. ‘Possibly. I don’t want any trouble, so let’s stay out of their way to be sure.’

Those words were short-lived. They entered the bar and found the supposed biker group sitting at their table. Theirs as in, they sat there every time since they first came here 4 years ago.

‘They’re on our spot,’ Chanyeol whispered. Baekhyun shushed him. They didn’t look as threatening as the news made them believe. Most of them were even their age, they couldn’t be the same gang that got the neighbourhood’s in a twist.

The bartender greeted Baekhyun and Chanyeol and then called out to the bikers for another beer.

‘Give the newcomers some too,’ one man said and pointed towards the pair. With charcoaled eyes and curled lips, all visible skin covered in tattoos, he caught Baekhyun’s attention right away.  

Before Baekhyun could speak, Chanyeol bowed down and thanked them. He dragged Baekhyun away to the table at the back, where Jongin was sitting with his back towards them.

‘What was that about?’ Baekhyun asked. He was about to initiate the conversation. Chanyeol gave him a ‘don’t fight with me now’ and only let him go when Baekhyun sat down.

‘Hey,’ Jongin said.

‘Those people stole our place!’ Baekhyun replied. He glanced back at the group, finding the same man staring back at him.

Jongin shrugged. ‘They probably didn’t know.’

‘I’m sure they’re just visiting. Let them have their night, we’ll have our spot back in no time.’ Chanyeol placed an arm around Baekhyun.

If only it was the last of them they saw.

 

 

The next weeks were much the same for Baekhyun, the evenings at the bar a small relief from his strenuous training.  

‘You look like ,’ Chanyeol practically screamed through the near-empty bar. The bikers, sitting at their spot again, gazed and laughed.

Baekhyun prowled to the table and dropped himself unceremoniously on the chair.

‘I’m so tired. I think I’m going to die.’ He dramatically added. With a competition in three weeks, his days saw him painstakingly driving his body to the limits. The laughter of his friends was welcomed by him, a great distraction from his internal struggles.

Jongin gave him a sympathetic half-smile, whereas Zitao patted his shoulder like he could slap the sleep out of Baekhyun.

‘You’re training very hard,’ He said, a little hesitant with his words. He couldn’t say Baekhyun was doing a good job, because the last three times they met in the ring he had only witnessed Baekhyun’s wipe-outs and seeing him grump as he cleaned up dried blood on the ramps.

In reply he nodded absently.

‘Some alcohol?’ Chanyeol raised his glass in emphasis.

Not much of a drinker, despite how tempting the mind-numbing alcohol could be, he declined.

‘Cola, please.’

The taller man nodded and walked to the bar. Before he reached it, he bumped into the tall biker who had stood up in such a quick manner, Chanyeol had not seen him coming. The ash-blonde guy showed his open palms, then placed a hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder. They both laughed and their interaction ended with the coke on the bar with the man paying for it.

Chanyeol returned to the table with a smile on his face.

‘It’s on Yifan,’ he said with sly smile.

Baekhyun raised his eyebrow and before he could make a snarky comment, Chanyeol already lifted his finger to shush him.

‘So you’re playing with the devil now, Chanyeol?’ Jongin asked quietly.

The others cocked his head towards the youngest.

‘I heard they’re part of the motor gang nearby. My mother heard a ruckus a few nights ago. And look at that guy,’ he nudged with his head towards the bikers’ table, ‘one of them has a black eye. He must have been involved in that fight.’

Baekhyun curiously turned around, but Jongin grabbed his hand and pulled him back again. He was met with a ‘don’t’ face. Each had heard of suspicious stories, whether it was second-hand from their families or first-hand finding the damage the alleged biker gang had done.

 

 

‘I can’t believe you’re fixing your make-up before your turn…’ Chanyeol said. His laughter boomed in the locker room.

‘I hope that if my skills won’t catch the public’s eye, at least the purple eyeshadow will.’ Baekhyun joked while he sprayed himself in a mist setting spray. Baekhyun had spent the last months training, finding no success in the previous two participated competitions. Now that Zitao was out of the run, some family matters he said, Baekhyun’s chances increased.

Chanyeol joined him as they walked on the upper ring to check out the competition ring. Smaller contests often held the competition in the same which they’d practice. Riders would practice to keep their muscles warm or kill the time, so the practice rings were always bustling before the competition started.

‘Looks like a good day to win, Baekhyun.’ Chanyeol gazed at their surroundings, from the deep diving pit to ramps and a half-pipe, with the stage prefixed to the ring.

‘Just because it’s a sunny day doesn’t mean it’ll shine for me. Let’s scope out the competition.’

As they reached the practice ring a loud rumble arose from the participants as they rushed to one corner of the practice area. Chanyeol and Baekhyun ran over.

‘Oh my God, it’s Kim Minseok!’ A person next to them screamed. The man in question stood next to the host of the contest, smiling at the small audience that had formed.

‘I’m judging from your face this is the guy you idolize so much,’ Chanyeol said, smiling amused at Baekhyun.

Kim Minseok, renowned BMXer by any respectable rider, one of the few that broke through internationally and continued to ace any competition he performed in. Despite his strong performances, he carried himself humbly with a coy smile as the host took questions from the audience for him to answer. Before long, he was already whisked away and the group dispersed.

‘Some extra motivation, eh,’ Chanyeol said with a chuckle.

 

When the announcer called out Baekhyun’s name, he parted ways with Chanyeol, receiving a big thumbs up from him as he went through the gate onto the ring. The crowd cheered and to his surprise he heard some of them chant his name. He wrote it off as probably the riders from their skate hall, these local competitions were usually filled with familiar faces.

 

He started off well with an aerial on the ramp, using the momentum for an extra 360 as he cycled to the bar. With one beat too late, and his speed too high, he missed the jump. He swerved his front wheel, but it was too late as it got stuck into the railing. He flung off the bike. Even with arm protections, he fell on them hard. A pain shot through the bone of his left hand. In that moment, he knew it was over.

He rolled over and got up on his feet in a reflex. A sigh escaped his mouth when he confirmed his suspicion.

‘-holding his wrist compromisingly, that looks like a broken bone. Is contestant number 14 out?’ The announcer’s voice rang through the loud speakers.

Baekhyun wanted to scream. This did not only up the competition, but his training and subsequent competitions for the next 6 weeks as well. That is, if his arm was only broken in one spot.

He zoned out while the medic looked him over and other staff removed his bike and guided him outside the ring. They placed him on a bench next to the first aid tent.

‘Hey,’ someone patted him on the shoulder and sat down next to him. Baekhyun turned to look at the man, knowing it was not one of his friends as he was sat down on the contestants-only area. He flinched when he came face to face with none other than Kim Minseok. The man noticed and chuckled.

‘You did well. You showed good potential during practice, you crashed, man.’

Baekhyun swooned, his heart raising like the adrenaline just started kicking in. He couldn’t help but stare at the slightly older man. He was extremely handsome. His eyes were big and almond shaped. Despite the usual lanky muscled bodies of riders, Minseok was buff with a protruding chest and strong arms. His arms and legs were covered in tattoos. He always wore them on display in a tank top and shorts while he rode.

‘I really love your tattoos.’ Baekhyun blurted out.

‘Thanks. I really love them too. Do you have any tattoos yourself?’

Baekhyun returned his eyes to the smiling man. ‘No, but I want to get one. When did you get your first?’

‘A real one? After I won my first competition. My best friend is a tattoo artist, so when I first qualified for one of the bigger competitions in the region, he tattooed my the night before I had to ride. One for good luck, he said. I regretted it dearly. You know how much your moves when you cycle?!’ He laughed.

‘Anyhow, I promised him he would be the first one to ink my body. He is still the only one I go to, but he’s is getting a bit too excited with it. He already has ink planned for every inch of my body.’

Baekhyun nodded. ‘That’s so cool.’

Minseok mimicked the movement, ‘so, do you have any tattoos?’ he asked.

‘No. I want them, though. Like you,’ Baekhyun stuttered. God, why did he have to be such a loser in front of his idol. It made the man laugh as he picked himself up and hit Baekhyun’s shoulder.

‘Get well and see you in the next competition, okay?’

‘Okay,’ he replied on auto pilot, falling on deaf ears as Minseok had already walked off.

 

The ride to the hospital was accompanied by Chanyeol and Jongin, the latter being unusually disappointed. ‘This was the first BMX tournament you bring me with, and I only got to see three contestants.’ He pouted as he reclined his head. It was his own fault for taking so long to get snacks that he missed the first 11 contestants. Chanyeol, on the other hand, was openly fanboying with Baekhyun about his encounter with Minseok. Of course he had seen it and even made a video of it.

‘The hell, Chanyeol. That is really creepy!’

Chanyeol shook his head. ‘Nu uh, once you’re a big star, I’ll leak these videos and entertain all your fans with your awkwardness.’

 

The reality of his broken arm hit him only when his friends left and he laid in bed. He didn’t even have any hobbies besides riding.

He met up with his friends at Shinin’ a week later. It was the same old as always, except they were a little kinder to Baekhyun.

‘I dare say, Baekhyun, you do look more well rested. How are you filling your days?’ Zitao asked.

‘You know, sleeping, watching BMX videos, helping my mom around the house. I might as well help old ladies cross the street. I’m so bored.’

Zitao gave him a sympathetic smile.

‘Why don’t you help around the ring? There is always to be fixed and I miss you,’ Chanyeol said, pouting as he spoke the last three words.

Baekhyun shrugged. ‘Might as well.’ He could use the extra exercise.

‘Next round?’ Jongin asked and in unison the rest replied with the same words. Baekhyun stood up and walked to the bar. The bartender never paid much attention to his loyal customers, so more often than not, they walked to the bar instead of raise their hand.

Three cold beers tapped and one coke later, Baekhyun was about to yell out for some help when a hand touched his back and someone appeared next to him.

‘Need some help?’ It was one of the bikers, the one that had given them a drink first time they came across them. Much like them, the bikers had become regulars. His eyes squinted as he smiled.

Baekhyun opened his mouth, but closed it after. The man was actually really hot. His fingers drummed on the edge of the bar, adorning more rings than Baekhyun had ever seen anyone wear, tattoos peaking underneath them and on his hands.  

‘What happened to your arm?’ The man asked.

‘I… Fell.’ Baekhyun replied.

‘Oh.’ he pouted. ‘That must have hurt.’

‘Yeah. I think the aftermath hurts more, though. ing , walking around with this .’

The man gave a sympathetic nod. He then turned to the bartender and took his order. The bartender in turn realized Baekhyun’s situation and handed him a splatter. While Baekhyun put the drinks on it, he felt the man’s glare. When Baekhyun looked up from his work, he smiled again.

‘I’m Jongdae, by the way.’

‘Baekhyun.’

Another pat on the back and he was back to his table.

 

 

The next day Baekhyun slept in before heading to the skating hall. He got scolded for bringing his skateboard, but was ‘allowed’ to use it only on ground floor for tricks, but also only when Chanyeol was nearby, and the tricks shouldn’t be too complicated. Baekhyun rolled his eyes when he agreed. It was not like he was going to ruin his chances of a fast recovery by being reckless. Yet, he tended to be a little impulsive and easily challenged, so he understood the implications Chanyeol was thinking off well. Other moments he would be aiding the youngsters with tricks, repairing small things around the hall for the owner or running around with a first aid kit for the umpteenth time.

 

 

The next evening in the bar, the topic of tattoos arose after Baekhyun spammed Chanyeol with pictures of Minseok’s tattoos he posted on social media.  

‘Do you ever want tattoos?’ Baekhyun asked Jongin. A look of appalment crossed his features.

‘No.’

‘Why not? They’re pretty. Even Chanyeol has some.’ He had some lettering and small scribbles. They were cute, but Baekhyun actually liked bigger pieces of art more.

‘I don’t think pretty is the word most people would use for black ink carved into your flesh,’ Chanyeol pitched in, ‘you always said you liked them, but never actually got one. What are you waiting for?’

Baekhyun gave it a moment’s thought. ‘Actually, I promised myself I would get one when, or if, I ever win. My parents would kill me if I used their money on it, so with the prize money I would be able to afford it on my own.’

‘Didn’t the one that keeps talking to you have a ton of tattoos?’ Jongin asked.

‘He did. His aren’t as pretty as those that Minseok has though.’ He opened one of Minseok’s social media on his phone and showed him some of his favourites.  

‘Do you think he’s gay? I’m starting to fall in love with this guy,’ Chanyeol said. Baekhyun could not figure out if he was joking or not.

‘, you stay away from him. If anything, I saw him first.’

Chanyeol pouted. ‘Not fair. I bet he is into tall guys.’

‘Sure, Mr. Pro rider would be into guys that hit their kneecaps on their bikes.’

‘Guys, I don’t think you’d either have a shot with him. You know, since he’s a celebrity and you are-’

‘Since we’re what, Jongin?’ Baekhyun stood up to .

‘Nothing!’ He relented when Baekhyun pinched the back of his neck.

 

They were distracted when a sudden commotion started at the biker table. Even the bartender was howling as Jongdae appeared at the front door with a quirky smile on his face. Various slurs of ‘Champion’, ‘prison breaker’ and ‘rebel’ were spouted. They watched on as the situation began to unfold. The one who introduced himself to Baekhyun, Jongdae, was embraced by his friends, them dragging him onto the extended rounded couch of the table. The bartender gave him a cold one. They clinked glasses and chugged their glasses all together.

 

‘What is that about?’ They asked the bartender when he came around for their order for once.

‘Oh, Jongdae spent a night in prison.’ He replied with a chuckle. His face went a little red when he noticed the scandalized faces of his guests. ‘I mean, it is not the first time.’ He said like that was supposed to be some sort of comfort. He scurried off quickly after that.

‘Damn, they really don’t play around, do they?’ Jongin asked.

‘And I was starting to think they were pretty alright,’ Chanyeol said.

 

 

 

Baekhyun was making his comeback, after three months of recovery and training. There were a few before this, but he had not been ready yet. Perhaps that was one of the issues. Always too eager to give it a shot, which made him reckless and desiring results he wouldn’t get overnight. This time was different though. The night before he stared at himself in the mirror, pepping himself for what was to come. His bathroom smelled like bleach, the roots of his hair matching the fried fuchsia purple locks below. It was ‘just’ a local tournament, but it was one big enough to attract the higher players in the game too. If he could win this, he would be ready for the next regional tournament next month too. He wasn’t bold enough to think that he could win that too, but just showing his face again and letting people view his new skills would provide him more platform the next time around.

 

The announcer called him and he appeared from the back onto the starting zone. He glanced around and spotted his friends. Chanyeol was jumping and flailing his arms, while the other BMXers of the hall supported various looks. From excited to supportive, from laughing at Chanyeol to facing away from Chanyeol. For the occasion, his parents were even there. They sat inconspicuous in the back, cheerful but probably worried too. They were supportive of his work, but they would be even more supportive if Baekhyun found a stable income and didn’t get himself injured as often as he did.

‘This rider is finally back in the scene after months of hiding, his hair as brightly purple as it has ever been. A broken arm doesn’t stop Byun Baekhyun!’ The announcer’s voice boomed through the area. He turned towards Baekhyun and patted him on the shoulder. ‘Do your best, kiddo.’

Baekhyun took one deep breath before he made his descend from the slope. With the speed accumulated, he barrelled to the ramp. He had his usual tricks practiced to perfection, focusing on fluid movements rather than the execution of as many as possible within the short frame of time had. The time alarm went off. With sweat on his forehead, he sank down on the bench outside the ring. A smile creeped up on his face, a euphoria of finishing his round exactly as planned. The previously performed contestant, who sat next to him, gave him a slap at his back.

‘You were so good, you’ll definitely win.’

And to his surprise, Baekhyun indeed won.

 

 

The very next day, Baekhyun headed to the tattoo parlour. Through social media he found out where Minseok gets his tattoos done. He also figured out his idol lived near his home town, as well as had affiliations with the local artist named Lay. Zhang Yixing, or Lay, had done most of the artwork around the skate hall. Famous for his legal street art, earning himself various exhibitions around the region.

Finding Jongdae in the shop was not entirely surprising, but still shocking nonetheless.

 ‘Will you look at that. Purple hair and all, finally relinquishing for some real pain?’ Jongdae smirked at him.

‘Oh, you here.’ Baekhyun acted nonchalant. He worked so hard on avoiding the bikers at the bar, only to be forced into conversation with one here. He ignored Jongdae’s stare and looked around, taking in all the artwork on the wall. He recognized some of the artists, some of the more renowned street artists around town seemed to have taken a liking to. He went to Lay’s work that popped out immediately. Could not cycle if his life depended on it, but the man sure could paint.

‘Lay, the owner knows him?’ Baekhyun asked, to no one in particular, but Jongdae chipped in regardless.

‘If by owner, you mean me, then yes.’ He placed the emphasis on ‘me’.

Baekhyun could feel the man’s eyes on him, prodding him for a clarification on why he was here. So he did what anyone else would do in that situation. Turn his back to him and take another gander around.

 

‘So, are you actually here to get some ink? It’s not a free museum, you know.’

Baekhyun snorted. ‘I changed my mind the moment I saw your face.’ He mimicked the smirk the other had so cockily displayed.

‘Your loss, sweetie. I’m the best in town, but sure go get a little heart tattoo on your wrist for 5 at the next best one. You know where to find me when you want the real deal.’

Baekhyun scowled. But maybe, he was a little intrigued too. Judging by the art on Minseok’s body, he could only assume how good some of his other work would be.

Unabashedly, he walked to the counter and grabbed the reference book. He seated himself on the red lounger, ignoring the laughter coming from across the room.

 

Baekhyun did not want to admit it, but Jongdae’s work was marvellous. His art style was exactly what Baekhyun liked. Even when he drew in a different style, it was still unquestionable his.

‘Like what you see?’ Jongdae loomed over him, his signature smile on. He handed him a steaming cup, before planting himself next to Baekhyun on the seat. He was also still, very, very handsome.

The sip he took made him scrunch his face. ‘What is this, did you put sugar in my tea?’

Jongdae shrugged. ‘I thought you’d like it. I’ve only seen you drink cola at the bar, so you’re probably still too young for coffee. Maybe in a few years you’ll grow to love it.’ He took Baekhyun’s punch to the shoulder with a laugh.

‘How old do you really think I am?’ He squinted his eyes.

‘Honestly, with the purple hair and striped gloves, I’d say you’re 16.’

He knew Jongdae was joking, but he barely could restrain himself from lashing back. ‘Well you look like you’re 60, who even rides lowriders anymore? Hanging out with old men, you’re halfway through your mid-life crisis already!’

Jongdae nearly toppled over with laughter. Not exactly the reaction he expected.

 

‘Anyway, I have a client in a bit. You can wait around or you can message me with the kind of design you want to see. I’ll draw it up and we can discuss the details on it after you make an appointment.’ His hand rested on Baekhyun’s shoulder for a moment, turning just in time for the door to open.

Baekhyun snapped a few pictures of the reference pictures, then returned the book and headed home. By the time he reached home, he had thought enough about the design to feel the jittery excitement of getting it on his skin. He texted Jongdae his idea, accompanied with various pictures online and his own sketch. The latter rewarded him with a crying-laughing emoji and a ‘please don’t become an artist’ reply.

 

His tattoo idea got mixed reactions from his friends when they met him at Shinin’. Chanyeol was excited after Baekhyun showed the sketch Jongdae had drawn, but Jongin’s face fell when he found out how big it’d be.

‘Are you sure about that? It’s like the majority of your lower leg!’

‘Yeah, it’s going to look wicked!’

Jongin bit his lip. ‘And you’re getting it done by some biker gang member?’

Baekhyun waved him off. ‘Minseok gets his tattoos from him too. Even Lay hangs out with him.’

‘You don’t even know either of them in person, you’d jump in a pool of fire if Minseok did it…’

Chanyeol chipped in before Baekhyun could reply, ‘I agree with Jongin, it’s a little weird you have a sudden change of heart the very next day you learn that this guy is a good tattoo artist. Don’t you remember he stayed in prison?!’

‘I know… I don’t want to be associated with him either, but I’ve admired his work before I learned it was this guy. But, if he has any work ethics, he won’t mutilate my body or sell me to a foreign country.’

‘Why don’t you think about it some more?’ Jongin said.

‘At least let me come with you, Baekhyun.’ Chanyeol requested.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

 

A week later, he returned to the parlour. Some R&B track was playing. When he walked in further, Jongdae popped his head out from behind the corner.

‘Oh hey, just preparing the last bits. Come on over.’

Jongdae pointed him to the chair. He was bent over a small expandable desk on wheels, with various equipment on top.

‘Are you excited? I’m excited.’ Jongdae asked while he prepared the pigments.

‘A little nervous…’

‘Are you afraid it’ll hurt? You took kind of a sensitive place to put it, but it’ll look good afterwards, trust me.’

Jongdae continued some small talk while he shaved Baekhyun’s leg around the part he’d be tattooing. Baekhyun had never had his legs shaven before, let alone by some half-stranger. It was a strangely sensual experience, the utter care the man took into shaving and cleaning/

‘So this is your first tattoo, right?’

Baekhyun nodded.

‘Nice. Nothing gets me more thrilled than tainting skin.’

‘I’m starting to regret this more and more.’

‘It could have been worse, I could have said that I’m marking you.’

‘My friend is a furry, but still you manage to creep me out more. Good job.’ Baekhyun rolled his eyes, earning another laughter from the artist.

 

They got acquainted with each other over heavy rock playing in the background with the presence buzzing of the needles. Baekhyun explained his passion for cycling, the struggles he faced getting towards his first decent achievement since he hit adulthood and his wish to become a world BMX star. It was strangely comfortable, the way Jongdae would nod or give little affirmations.

‘You’re a pretty good listener,’ he said.

‘And you’re a pretty good talker. Do you usually become chatty when you’re nervous?’

‘Not really.’

‘How’s the pain going? You’re doing very well, I’m surprised you’re not gritting your teeth more often.’

‘I’m not as weak as I might look.’

Jongdae chuckled. ‘I mean, shins are usually painful because you don’t have a lot of muscle protecting your bone.’

Baekhyun blinked. ‘So you’re saying I’m strong?’

‘I’ll charge extra if you keep making me compliment you.’

This time Baekhyun laughed. ‘I’ll need to win more to be able to afford that.’

After five hours, Jongdae finished up the tattoo and gave it a final cleaning, before making some photos and plastic wrapping the wound.

‘Is it to your liking?’

‘It’s perfect. Thank you so much.’ He was eager to share it with his friends.

‘Good luck with your next competitions, Baekhyun.’ Jongdae threw away the black surgeon gloves and ran his fingers through his hair. ‘I’ll see you at the bar? Or do we pretend this never happened?’

Baekhyun didn’t respond and left before he could glimpse a reaction. He still had to process this whole time.