Final

Little Bird Wish (WonHa AU)

The sound of the children’s laughter that surrounded her was the only sound that she could hear as she shivered in fear. It was really funny how when she’s up there in the trees, this sound is what makes her happy, but right now when she’s down here, surrounded by them, poking at every inch of her body, she can’t help but feel scared.

“Please stop…” she chirped softly in her shaking voice as the children’s laughter grew.

Her mom once told her how scary humans can be and yet she never paid any attention to it; she thought that her mom overreacted as she loved their laughter when she was safe in her small, comfy nest. Who ever thought that it only needed one strong wind to destroy everything she knew.

“Please…” she chirped once again, loudly this time hoping that they will hear her plead but just like before, her chirping went into deaf ears as the children keep laughing and poking at her.

At a time like this, she wished that she wasn't born as a little bird who was unable to do anything to defend herself. If only she was a dog or a cat, she probably could defend herself with the barking and hissing or even biting and clawing. But no, she was just a little bird who couldn’t do anything.

“Stop it!!! Leave her alone!!!” a loud trembling voice suddenly shouted, piercing through the children’s laughter, making them stop.

She looked up.

A small girl that she recognized as the shy quiet one who always sat under her tree and did nothing but read a book, standing a few feet away from where she and the other children were. Her dark brown eyes that was usually warm and unsure, reflected nothing but anger and fear as she kept her eyes on the other children.

“What do you want??” one of the children who had been poking her with a stick asked.

“Leave her alone,” the girl quietly said, her voice trembling and the bird was sure that the girl felt just as afraid she felt right now but the girl did not back down, instead she stood firmly as she looked straight at the boy’s eyes.

Both of the children held their stares, neither of them backing down while the other children looked at them both back and forth as if they are waiting for something to happen between the two. And finally after a long silence, the boy scoffed before he threw the stick in his hand to the ground, “It’s not worth it,” he mumbled as he walked away, leaving the place. Little by little the other children followed him, leaving the girl with the bird.

The girl let out a trembling sigh of relief before turning her attention towards her, giving a shaky small smile.

“Thank you,” she said in a small chirp to show her gratitude at the girl. The small smile on the girl’s face growing slightly bigger and more sincere than before as she walked towards her and slowly and softly as she was afraid that one wrong move will hurt her, gathered her in her soft and warm palms.

“It’s okay…” the girl softly said, offering her a smile once again as she brought picked her up slowly from the ground, making her let out another small chirp, “I will take care of you and I promise that they will never hurt you ever again.”

 

 

xxx

 

Eunha was randomly singing in boredom when she heard the sound of the house front door open, making her stop abruptly and look at the door in front of her with eyes big and full of excitement. She wants to jump in excitement, however she stopped herself and tried to stay silent, waiting to hear another sign that indeed the one who just slid the door is the one she’s been waiting for.

And soon enough her effort paid off when she heard a soft gentle voice coming from the front door, “I’m home.”

“Sowon!!!” Eunha chirped loudly, happy to hear the sounds of the girl she’s been waiting for the last few hours; she jumped around inside her cage, making it shake a little in her excitement. She was so happy that Sowon finally came home as she was already so bored without the girl around.

There’s a sound of footsteps before the door in front of Eunha pulled open, revealing Sowon’s smiling face. “Hello Eunha,” Sowon said, smiling happily at the bird.

Eunha quickly flapped her wings happily before she flew towards Sowon; Sowon always made sure that her cage door opened so she could fly if she wanted to. She circled the girl, making her let out a laugh when she saw Eunha’s antics.

“You really missed me, didn’t you?” Sowon asked, smiling at the bird who still kept flying above her head.

“Of course!! I am so bored, but it’s okay now since you are here!” Eunha chirped happily, “Why you do always stop me from following you to this school place?” Eunha continued to chirp but this time in disappointment. She really hated every time Sowon went to that places as she left Eunha alone, waiting in Sowon’s room. Sowon would usually let Eunha tag along with her anywhere she went expect school. It’s been that way ever since Sowon decided to take Eunha in, taking care of her when Eunha refused to leave the girl side years ago. That’s why Eunha really hated school as she was not accustomed to leaving Sowon side.

“Be careful Eunha, or you will hurt yourself,” Sowon said, shaking her head as she reached out her hands towards Eunha and smiled, “Come here.” Eunha, understanding what Sowon wanted her to do quickly stop her circling and landed on Sowon’s fingers. “Good girl, Eunha,” Sowon said as she petted Eunha’s head before kissing it, making Eunha let out a happy chirp. “I miss you too,” Sowon said, smiling at Eunha.

“Wait here for a second, Eunha,” Sowon said as she reached out her hands towards the cage. “Let me change my clothes first and then we will go help mom.”

“Okay!” Eunha chirped happily as she jumped down from Sowon’s fingers towards the perches as she waited patiently for Sowon to finish changing her clothes. It only took a few minutes for Sowon to change her clothes and as soon as she finished, she walked towards Eunha and offered her hand once again towards the little bird who happily jumped onto it. Sowon then put her fingers on her shoulder and Eunha walked to Sowon’s shoulder, standing firmly on it.

“Let’s go,” Sowon said as she walked out from her bedroom and towards the kitchen where her mom was preparing their dinner. “Did you need any help, mom?” Sowon asked as soon as she walked inside the kitchen, making the older woman stop whatever she is doing before she looked at Sowon and Eunha.

“Mom!” Eunha chirped happily when she saw Sowon’s mom; she is Eunha’s second favorite person in the house aside from Sowon as she always takes care of Eunha and gives her food.

“Yes, of course,” Sowon’s mom answered, smiling at them. “But you need to wash your hands first and put Eunha away from your shoulder because no matter how much we love her, I don’t think I like having my dinner with feathers on it. That and it is dangerous for her to get near the fire.”

“I understand,” Sowon answered as she took Eunha off from her shoulder and put the little bird on one of the kitchen counters away from where Sowon’s mom stood, petting her once and saying in a soft voice, “Wait here, okay?”

“Okay…” Eunha chirped dejectedly.

“Good girl,” Sowon smiled before she walked to the sink, washing her hands before going to her mom’s side to help the older woman. Eunha, having nothing to do, observed them from where she stood in silence, hoping that Sowon will soon finish helping her mom so they can play together.

“How’s school today?” Eunha heard Sowon’s mom asked as she handing Sowon a knife and a carrot. “It went fine,” Sowon answered, taking them from her mom’s hand and began to work with it. “I got Yuju as my lab partner today.”

“Oh??” Eunha chirped happily when she heard Yuju’s name. Yuju is Sowon’s best friend and Eunha really liked the energetic girl as she was always there for Sowon and her.

“Oh?”

“Yes, she begged me to be her lab partner actually,”

“And how did it go?”

Sowon let out a sigh, “Disaster,”

“I’m sure it’s not that bad, Sowon.”

“It is; she didn’t follow any steps that I told her to do and she tried to mix the chemicals that the teacher especially told us not to,” Sowon said, shaking her head, “In the end, I had to be the one who did everything while she only gave me her usual smiles.” Sowon rolled her eyes, clearly annoyed at the incident that happen to her.

“I’m sorry to heard that, dear,” the older woman said as she looked at Sowon.

“Oh well, it’s fine. I already scolded her.” Sowon said with a shrug, making Sowon’s mom laugh while Eunha can only chirp, feeling sorry for Yuju. Sowon can be really scary sometimes and Eunha had seen her fair share of it when Sowon scold Yuju in front of her.

“Give Yuju some slack, okay? She is still learning, just like you.”

“But still-” Sowon began. Unfortunately for her, she was too preoccupied with their conversation to pay attention to what she was doing, making her accidently cut her finger instead of the carrot.

“Ow!” Sowon shouted in surprise, alerting Eunha who quickly flew towards her while chirping anxiously, “Sowon!! Are you okay?!?!”

“Are you okay, Sowon?” The older woman asked worriedly as she looked at her daughter who quickly ran to the sink and put her hand under the running faucet. The anxious Eunha landed on her shoulder and jumped worriedly as her eyes kept looking at Sowon’s wounded finger.

“I’m fine, it was just a small cut,” Sowon said reassuringly to her mom and Eunha.

“You need to be careful, Sowon,” her mom said, sighing while Eunha chirped in agreement. “See? Even Eunha agrees with me.”

“I will,” Sowon said, nodding her head, “I’m sorry that I made you worry, mom, Eunha.” Sowon smiled gently as she petted Eunha’s head with her unwounded finger.

“It’s okay,” Eunha chirped as she nuzzled her head towards Sowon more.

“I can’t let you keep helping in the kitchen with a wounded finger,” Sowon’s mom said, shaking her head.

“It’s just a small cut,” Sowon argued.

“Even so, it still will be uncomfortable to work in the kitchen, Sowon,” the older woman said, making Sowon let out a small sigh as she looked down to the floor, feeling guilty.

“I’m sorry,” Sowon softly said.

“It’s fine,” The older woman answered with a smiled, “How about you wait there for a while until I finish preparing dinner for us? I will tell you if I need some help”

“Okay.” Sowon answered.

They fell into silence as the older woman focus on the tasked in her hands while Sowon playing with Eunha, who is really happy with Sowon’s attention to her for a few minutes before Sowon’s mom, break the silence.

“Sowon, I think we run out of salt.” The older woman said as she looked at Sowon and showed the girl the empty bottle of salt. “Can you please go and buy it for me?”

“Sure.” Sowon nodded her head, “I will go now.”

“Thank you, wait let me give you the money.”

“There’s no need, I can use my money first.” Sowon said smiling at her mom while Eunha let out a happy chirped on her shoulder.

“You will bring Eunha with you?”

“Yes,” Sowon nodded, petting the Eunha’s head softly, “I think she need some fresh air, I bet she’s a bit bore staying inside the house all day.”

“I am!” Eunha chirped in agreement.

“Okay, please be careful.”

“I will.” Sowon said, nodded her head towards her mom before excusing herself while Eunha chirped, “We’re off, mom!”

 

xxx

 

The entire walk from Sowon’s house to the store was filled with Sowon talking to Eunha about how her day went with Eunha occasionally replying with small happy chirps. This is one of many traits that Eunha loved about Sowon; she always without fail told Eunha everything that happened to her and as a result, Eunha always knew what happened to Sowon. She knew when Sowon fell on her face a few days ago because Yuju kept pushing her from behind or how Sowon got really nervous about her test but later found out she was actually doing well and so forth. It made Eunha feel special since Sowon never told her stories to anyone aside from her.

“E-excuse me?” a voice suddenly said, startling Sowon and Eunha who had been paying too much attention to Sowon’s story about Yuju and her crush Umji to even notice the woman who was standing behind Sowon and her.

“Yes?” Sowon asked the woman as she turned around; Eunha eyed the woman suspiciously, she always got wary if a stranger approached her and Sowon.

“I’m sorry to disturb you, but can you help me for a second?” she asked as she looked at Sowon pleadingly, “I’m supposed to bring those things back home but I accidently fell down and I hurt my arm so I can’t lift it up…” she continued as she pointed at a box that was placed in front of a store a few meters behind them before showing Sowon her bruised arm. “I know it is a lot to ask but I really need the stuff in it for work and I can’t really wait any longer or I won’t be able to meet my deadline. So, uhm what I want to ask is can you please help me bring it to my home?”

“Sure,” Sowon answered after a few seconds of silence, making the woman smile gratefully, “Thank you so much! You’re a really nice girl!!” she said happily before she walked towards the store with Sowon following behind.

“This is it, right?” Sowon asked as she grabbed the box with her hands and lifted it up when the woman nodded her head.

“Thank you, really,” the woman said once again, smiling “I wanted to ask my friends for help at first but my phone is out of battery so I can’t ask them…”

“It’s fine,” Sowon said, smiling reassuringly towards the woman to show that she didn’t mind at all. “So where I should take this?”

“Oh sorry, just follow me. It is not that far,” the woman said, smiling as she led the way to her house.

The woman and Sowon walked side by side with occasional small chat but most of the time their walked was filled with silence while Eunha couldn’t help herself but keep her eyes on the woman. There’s something about this woman that Eunha didn’t like, she reminded her of the children that used to bully her before Sowon came to save her life.

“What’s wrong Eunha?” Sowon asked when she felt the little bird fidgeting on her shoulder and once in a while let out a small chirp.

“There’s something weird with this woman!” Eunha chirped in answer, looking at Sowon pleading eyes, “I don’t think this is a good idea…” she chirped again as she look at her surrounding; they are now at some sort of dark and narrow alley as the woman said this is a short cut to her house. It made Eunha shiver.

“You don’t like being here?” Sowon asked, frowning, making Eunha quickly chirp in answer.

“Is your bird okay?” the woman asked, looking at Sowon and Eunha.

“I think she hates being here,” Sowon answered.

“Well, she is a bird after all; I think she is not used to being in alley,” the woman chuckled, “But don’t worry, we’re almost there. In fact we are already here.”

Eunha let out a panic chirp as she looked around at the dead end where two men suddenly came out from nowhere and grinning devilishly as they surrounded Sowon while the woman smiled at the now stiffened girl.

“Nice catch, Hyejin,” one of the men said, smiling at the woman before looking at Sowon who took one step back as she dropped the box in her hands.

“Well, she was too easy,” the woman said, shrugging.

Sowon looked at the men and the woman around her. “I don’t think you need help with the box after all…” Sowon mumbled as she glared at the woman who just chuckled.

“No, but you can help us with giving us some money you have there and the bird.”

Eunha could feel how Sowon body suddenly stiffened up when she heard the last word.

“Why you want that bird? It just a bird!” one of the men said, looking at the woman who glared back at the man, “Are you stupid? Look at that bird’s feathers, it’s golden! I’ve never seen any other bird who has feathers as beautiful as that one! It must be a rare breed and if we sold it, we’ll make a fortune!”

“Oh, you’re right!” the other man said, chuckling and then looking back at Sowon. “You heard the boss, so now come here and give us that bird and your money now, little missy.” He walked closer, alerting both Eunha and Sowon.

“Sowon …” Eunha chirped softly.

“Don’t worry, Eunha,” Sowon whispered as she looked at Eunha with her gentle and warm eyes, smiling the smile that she gave to Eunha the day she saved her, “I promise I will protect you.”

“Come on, just give us what we want and you can leave this place peacefully okay?” the man said again, reaching out his hand to touch Sowon but before he could, she avoided his hand, kicking him hard in the groin which making him let out a weird strangled voice.

“You will pay for that!!” the other man shouted angrily as he charged towards Sowon who had been anticipating it and avoided the attack.

It stayed like that for a few minutes with both men, trying to grab and attack Sowon while the girl kept avoiding the attack; when she saw an opening she would counterattack them either with a kick or a punch. However Eunha knew that Sowon couldn’t last much longer, the girl’s stamina is great but two men attacking her is just too much. Eunha could feel Sowon’s heavy breathing and sweat as seconds ticked by.

“I think the playtime is over,” the man who attacked Sowon first gritted his teeth as he pulled out a knife from his jeans’ back pocket and pointed the sharp object towards Sowon. “Now come on, just give us what we want, or we’ll hurt you really bad!”

“Don’t hurt Sowon!” Eunha chirped as she flew towards the man’s face, ignoring Sowon’s worried voice calling her name and began to peck at him; she won’t let this man hurt Sowon.

“Argh, stop it!!” the man shouted trying to swat Eunha away with his hand, “I said stop it!!!” he shouted one last time before his hand finally hit Eunha’s body hard, making her fall down and hit the ground hard.

“Eunha!!!!” she heard Sowon shout worriedly at her.

Her body and wings hurt badly that she almost fell unconscious but she continued fighting it; she needed to stay awake, she needed to make sure Sowon was safe. Her eyes searched for Sowon and when she saw her, she couldn’t help but let out a small happy chirp.

“She is safe…” Eunha said softly in rSinBef as she looked at the Sowon’s panicked and worried eyes.

Her happiness didn’t last long, everything happen as in a slow motion, she saw how Sowon run towards her but the man who is standing in front of her suddenly grabbed something from his pocket and stabbed Sowon right on her stomach with it, making the girl let out a small gasp as something red flowed down.

“Sowon!” Eunha chirped loudly, or tried to, when she saw the girl fall down on her knees, holding her stomach. She looked like she was in so much pain but even in her state, she still managed to give Eunha a warm and gentle look.

“Are you crazy?! Why’d you stab her?!?!” the woman shouted angrily at the man who looked as if he was also shocked.

“I-I didn’t mean to!! I panicked!! She ran to me so I thought she-“

“You-“ the woman quickly shook her head, “Come on, let’s just get out of here!”

“What about the bird?” the other man asked.

“Leave it, I think it’s dying,” the woman said, giving Eunha one last glance before she quickly ran out of the alley with the two men trailing closely behind her.

“S-Sowon …” Eunha softly chirped as she tried to move her wings.

“e-Eunha…” Sowon softly said as she looked at Eunha and to Eunha’s horror, the usual light in Sowon’s eyes seemed to begin to fade away. “Come here…” she reached out her hands to Eunha making her quickly flap her broken wings. Eunha ignored the pain she felt and flew towards Sowon’s reaching hand. “I-I’m sorry…”

“Sowon …” Eunha chirped sadly as she looked at the girl with her pleading eyes.

“I-I don’t think I can go home with you, Eunha…” Sowon said with a weak smile as she reached out her other hand towards Eunha and pet the little bird’s head, “You k-know how to get back right?”

“No…” Eunha chirped pleadingly.

“G-Good girl…” Sowon said, giving Eunha one last smile before she closed her eyes. Her hands fell down to the ground, making Eunha fly in reflex.

“S-Sowon?!” Eunha chirped loudly as she flew towards Sowon face to peck it lightly, wanting to wake up the girl. “Please… Sowon …” Eunha pleaded when she saw Sowon didn’t move at all. Eunha tried everything she could, pecking the girl face, ears, nose, even chirping loudly right in the girl’s ear but nothing. Sowon still didn’t show any sign of waking up, she didn’t even move at all.

“Sowon …” Eunha let out one small sad chirp as she landed down right beside Sowon’s hand before she tried to put her body right under Sowon’s hand; she wanted to think that everything that happened was just a nightmare. However she pleaded, she pleaded really hard that this is indeed just a nightmare and when she wakes up, it will be just like before.

That she will see Sowon’s smile and hear her voice once again.

 

xxx

 

When Eunha woke up, she realized that she was in a place she didn’t recognize at all. Everything around her was white and it was so bright, just like the sun but unlike that, this light didn’t hurt her eyes at all. She looked around, searching for any sign that could help her to know where she was but with no avail.

“Where am I?” Eunha softly chirped before her eyes widened in panic and she looked around the place frantically, “Sowon!!! Where are you, Sowon!?!?” she chirped loudly.

“Eunha…” a soft voice said, making her stop her loud chirping; she looked around confusedly, wanting to see who called her name. She was sure that it wasn’t Sowon who called her, Sowon’s voice wasn’t like that. This voice was much more lighter than Sowon’s.

“Who is it??” Eunha chirped after a few minutes of silence and seeing nothing.

“Here,” the voice said again, but this time much closer than before.

Eunha turn around.

A beautiful girl was standing right behind Eunha. She had black hair that she braided to the side and a pair of twinkling eyes as she looked at Eunha with a gentle smile. Standing right beside her legs was a beautiful cat who looked at Eunha with her piercing dark eyes, making Eunha flinched in fear.

“Don’t worry, SinB won’t eat you,” the girl said, giggling when she saw how Eunha flinched.

“Wh-Who are you?” Eunha softly asked as she looked at the girl in front of her.

“My name is Yerin,” the girl said, “and this is SinB.” She gestured at the cat who nodded her head slightly at Eunha.

“Hello,” the cat said.

“SinB and I are people you can call merchants,” Yerin said chuckling a little.

“Merchants?” Eunha asked as she looked at Yerin curiously.

Yerin nodded. “Yes, we’re here because we heard your plea.”

“My plea?” Eunha asked slowly but then suddenly chirped loudly, “Where’s Sowon?!”

“She’s not here,” Yerin answered.

“D-Did you know what happen to her?” Eunha asked worriedly.

Yerin mirthless smile at Eunha, “I’m sorry but your owner already died…”

“N-No!! Lie!! It’s a lie!!” Eunha chirped loudly as she shook her head, “Sowon is not dead! She can’t be!! It’s a lie!!”

“I’m sorry…”

“No…” Eunha shook her head once again, helplessly. “No, Sowon…. W-why…”

“I’m really sorry for your lost, Eunha.” Yerin said in a soft voice before she kneeled down in front of Eunha.

“Sowon…” Eunha softly said.

“We can help you if you want,” Yerin offered suddenly, making Eunha quickly look at the girl.

“H-How?”

“We are merchants of wishes.” This time SinB was the one who answered Eunha’s question. “We sell wishes.”

“W-Wishes?”

“Yes.”

“S-So if I wish for Sowon to be alive again-“

Yerin shook her head, “I’m afraid it is not that simple, we can’t bring back someone who is already dead.”

“B-But…”

“However, we can help you by creating a path.”

“Wh-what do you mean?” Eunha asked, confused.

“We can’t bring someone back to alive; that is against nature’s law but we can tweak some rules,” Yerin explained, smiling at Eunha. “We can bring you back to the time before Sowon died.”

“Re-Really?” Eunha looked at Yerin hopefully but then she looked down once again. “Bu-but even if I can go back to the time before it happen, I can’t do anything… I can’t help Sowon… I am just a little bird who can’t do anything.”

Yerin smiled, “What is your wish, Eunha?”

“I-I wish I can protect Sowon like how she always protected me…” Eunha softly chirped.

“Then I will grant that wish,” Yerin said before she looked at SinB, “Can you please give Eunha that thing?”

“Sure, Yerin,” SinB said as walked behind Yerin, rummaging a leather bag that Eunha didn’t see before and walked towards Eunha. She put some seeds in front of the little bird.

“What is it? Eunha asked looking at it curiously.

“It’s my invention. It’s a seed that can change you into a human,” Yerin said.

“H-Human?!” Eunha chirped loudly as her eyes went wide.

“Yes, if you are a human then you can protect your dear Sowon right?” Yerin said, smiling teasingly at the little bird.

“Th-Thank you…”

“Don’t thank me yet,” Yerin said, making the little bird look at her, “I’m not giving you these things free, you know. I am a merchant and that is why everything that I will give to you comes with a payment.”

“B-But I don’t have anything that I can give to you…” Eunha chirped nervously.

“You have,” Yerin said firmly, “I want your feathers and Sowon’s memories about you for the payment.”

“Wh-What?” Eunha blinked.

“You have really lovely feathers, Eunha; birds with golden feathers like you are really rare these days, especially in Korea.”

“I-I’m fine with my feathers color b-but Sowon’s memories…”

Yerin looked at Eunha sadly, “I am sorry but that is how it is. Your feathers are not enough for the payment, so I need Sowon’s memories too.”

“S-So Sowon won’t remember anything about me?”

“Sadly, yes.”

“B-But-“

“Stop whining,” SinB said suddenly, making Eunha look at the cat, “You want to protect this girl right? So why are you dwelling too much about it? It was just memories, compared to her life it’s nothing. Beside you will turn into a human, I don’t think her memories about you will do much aside from her becoming panic because she thinks you went missing or something.”

“SinB,” Yerin warned the cat who looked at Yerin.

“But Yerin…”

“I-It’s okay,” Eunha suddenly chirped, making Yerin and SinB look at her, “Wh-What SinB said is right: compared to her life it was nothing.”

“Are you sure about this?”

Eunha nodded, “Yes.”

Yerin smiled. “Okay, it’s a deal then,” Yerin said as she flicked her fingers and in the blink of her eyes, Eunha’s golden feathers suddenly change color into black.

“W-wow…” Eunha said in awe as she looked down at her body, inspecting it.

“Now eat the seeds,” Yerin said, “You will turn into a human once you wake up. I will turn you back to a week before Sowon’s death; it will give you plenty of time to spend with her and gain her trust.”

Eunha looked at the seeds in front of her before she looked at Yerin, “W-Will I be able to help Sowon?”

Yerin sighed as she shook her head. “There’s no guarantee about that. I can’t say for sure that you can help Sowon, since even with my help, there’s something that we can’t avoid no matter how much we want to; it’s called Fate. If Fate wants to something happen to Sowon then it will be hard for you to stop it.”

“Th-Then does that mean it’s meaningless?”

“No, I said it’s hard not impossible,” Yerin smiled at Eunha. “Let me tell you something about Fate, Eunha. Fate is just like me; she is a merchant. If you want to save Sowon, then you have to give something to Fate just like how you gave me your feathers and Sowon’s memories.”

“B-But I don’t know what I can give to her…” Eunha chirped sadly as she looked down.

“You will figure it out, Eunha,” Yerin said, smiling gently towards the little bird. “I am sure of it. Now go and eat the seeds.” Yerin gestured at the seeds and Eunha gave Yerin one more look before she looked down at the seeds and finally ate it.

 

xxx

 

When Eunha opened her eyes, the first thing she saw was the bright blue sky above her. She blinked her eyes as she tried to touch her head with her wings, trying to ease the pain she felt when suddenly she realized something was different. Instead of wings, what greeted her were hands, human hands that looked just like Sowon’s hands.

“N-No way…” Eunha said softly before closed with both of her hands in surprise, she can’t believe it, she’s not chirping; instead she let out a voice, a human voice and she can even talk in human language. “S-So it’s not a dream?” Eunha asked herself as she looked around, realizing that she was still in the alley where the accident happened. Eunha quickly stood up, staggering a bit as she was now standing with two human feet, and then walked out as fast as she could from the alley with only one destination in her mind.

“Sowon, I need to find her!” Eunha thought as she walked towards the direction that she remembered at the back of her mind: the direction of Sowon’s house. Eunha walked for a while before deciding that she was already good at it and decided to run, something that she usually saw Yuju do when Sowon wanted to scold the girl.

It was hard at first for Eunha to run as she keep stumbling upon nothing but after a few minutes she finally got used to it and she decided that running almost felt like flying with the wind hitting her face softly. She looked up at the sky and smiled, feeling lucky that although she could never fly again, she could still feel like she was.

“Yuju, watch out!” a voice that Eunha recognized really well suddenly came, making Eunha look away from the sky to her front but all she saw was dark hair before she felt her body crash, sending her to the ground painfully.

“Ouch…” Eunha mumbled with closed eyes as she tried to ease the pain on her back.

“I’m so sorry!”

Eunha looked up, and what she saw made her breath hitch. A pair of dark brown eyes that she always loved to see now looking straight at her with a hint of an apology in it, making Eunha smiled. She really missed looking at Sowon’s eyes.

“Are you okay?” Sowon asked softly as she reached out her hand towards Eunha.

Eunha looked away from Sowon’s eyes and towards the hand, her first instinct was to fly towards the hand like she always did, however she realized that she couldn’t do it anymore. She was a human now so with a small smile, she took Sowon’s hand with her own and held it tightly.

“Ye-Yes, I’m fine, Sowon,” Eunha said as Sowon pulled the girl up.

“Huh? I’m sorry but do I know you?” Sowon asked as she looked at Eunha confusedly.

The girl only smiled at Sowon as she silently vow, “This time I will be the one who protect you Sowon, I promise.”

 

xxx

 

“What are you thinking, Sowon?” a voice coming right from her left ear making Sowon jumped slightly from her chair she quickly turn her gaze away from the empty desk in front of her towards her childhood friend.

“Yuju,” Sowon scowled, “It’s not nice to do that.”

“I’m sorry. It just you look so deep in your thought.” Yuju said sheepishly with a small chuckled, “So what are you thinking of? You’ve been awfully quite this whole time and you didn’t even realize that it’s already the time for us to go home.”

“What?!” Sowon asked almost shouted in surprised, she doesn’t even hear the school bell rang at all.

“Yup, that’s why I kind of worried about you.” Yuju said, frowning, “Is something wrong?”

Sowon sighed, “No it just... I feel like I’m forgetting something but no matter how much I try to remember it, I just can’t.”

“Wow, that’s weird…” Yuju said, titling her head. “It’s unusual for you to forget something.”

“Yeah…” Sowon nodded, frowning.

“But if you really can’t remember it, it probably just your feelings or not really that important at all since you forget it.” Yuju said, beaming happily.

“I don’t think that is the case…” Sowon whispered. She still can’t stopped the nagging feeling she’s been having since this morning about forgetting something, not to mention that it’s has been intensified the moment she met that girl this morning.

The mysterious girl who seems to know her.

“I’m sorry but…” Sowon gaze at the girls chocolate eyes, “Have we met before?”

The girl smiled faltered when she heard Sowon’s question. There’s so many emotions that flashed on the girl’s eyes that Sowon barely register before she looked down, avoiding Sowon’s eyes. Her face was covered by her bangs and her shoulders scrunched up beside her ears as her arms came to encircle her stomach.

Sowon can feel how her stomach crunched in discomfort and guilt as she saw how fragile and sad the girl is from her question.

“Uhm I-“

 “…Eunha.” The girl said suddenly, stopping Sowon in the mid sentence. Her voice is really small, just slightly above a whispered that Sowon thought she misheard it first, “Eh?”

The girl looked up.

“My name is Eunha.” The girl said, this time more clearly as she gave Sowon a small smiled and in that second, Sowon’s breath hitched while her heart beating thunderously. Never ever in her life Sowon had seen a smile that looked so sad and so painful like that. As if the girl is hiding her sorrow and buried it deeply in her heart.

“Just who are you, Eunha-ssi…?” Sowon thought with a sighed.

 

xxx

 

 

Sowon looked at the sight in front of her in disbelieve as she tried to make sense the situation she sees right now. She thought that she will never meet Eunha again after the encounter they had this morning which quickly ended when Yuju grab her and run to the school claiming they will be late all and shouting her apologize towards the dark hair girl and yet she meet the girl again, right now standing a few meters ahead her, on her way to go home.

However that is not what surprised Sowon, no it was the fact that the girl Eunha is surrounded by birds, many many birds around her which makes Sowon thought that she is in some kind of a fairy tale books and by the looked from the girl face she looked really happy while talking and chatting with the birds.

As she walked closer to the girl, she heard Eunha said, “…Yeah, she’s the one I’m waiting for.” towards the bird on her shoulder which the bird replied with a chirp before the girl suddenly turned her head towards Sowon and smiled brightly.

“Hi Sowon!” Eunha said, there’s no trace of sadness and painfulness that Sowon saw this morning in Eunha’s smiled making Sowon wondering if what she saw before is just a trick of her mind.

“Hello, Eunha-ssi.” Sowon said while she looked at the bird around the girls. The birds weidly also stared at her which making Sowon feel uncomfortable.

“You don’t have to add ssi.”

Sowon turned away from her staring contest with this one bird when she heard Eunha talked,“I’m sorry what?”

“Just called me Eunha,” Eunha said with a pout and Sowon couldn’t help but to think how cute the girl is right now.

Sowon quickly shook her head.

Bad thoughts begone.

“Uhm… okay, then Eunha?” Sowon asked carefully and she let out a small chuckled when she saw Eunha beaming smiled, “Eunha, what are you doing here?”

“I’m talking to these nice birds.” Eunha answered happily as she gestured towards the birds around her and as if they understand they all chirping in unison startling Sowon who feel slightly frightened by the situation she is right now.

“…I see.” Sowon said slowly.

“They are really nice for accompanying me.” Eunha said, smiling towards the birds.

The bird on Eunha’s shoulder chirped suddenly gaining the two girls attention. While Sowon looked at the bird in lost, Eunha smiled towards it and nodded her head before saying “Yes, thank you.” And with that all birds suddenly fly away from there leaving Eunha together with Sowon who standing in awe and still in disbelieve with what she just saw.

“Are you going home, Sowon?” Eunha softly asked as pulling Sowon attention away from the birds towards her.

Sowon nodded her head, “Yes.”

“Can I accompany you? Just until you reach your home I mean.”

“Huh?” Sowon looked at Eunha warily, at one side she really want to say no towards the girl after all they just met this morning and trusting a stranger, a really weird stranger who seems to know her and talking with birds was not safe. But on the other side, there’s something about Eunha that Sowon feel like she can trust her, beside Sowon still feel curious about the girl. So in the end, Sowon nodded her head, “Sure.”

Eunha beamed a bright smiled towards Sowon, “Thank you! Let’s go then Sowon!”

Sowon nodded her head once again before she and Eunha began walk side by side. They walk in silence with Sowon occasionally steal a curious glance towards the smaller girl before Sowon decide to break the silence with the question she’s been dying to know the answer.

“Eunha, have we met before?” Sowon asked, making Eunha stop walking and looked at her. “I’ve asked you before but you didn’t answer my question.” Sowon explained, by now she also already stops walking and staring back at Eunha. “You seem to know me but no matter how hard I try to remember it, I can’t.”

“…Yes, we have.” Eunha answered startling Sowon.

“W-We have?”

“Yes, long long time before. But I am not blaming you for forgetting our meeting.” Eunha said as she resumed her walked making Sowon quickly followed her.

“I-“

“Even if you remember our meeting,” Eunha looked at Sowon successfully cutting the taller girl words as she offered a small smile, a smile that just like the one Sowon saw this morning. A sad and longing smiled that made Sowon’s heart beating hurtfully against her ribcages, “You won’t recognize me.” Eunha continued.

“Wh-Why? What makes you said so?” Sowon asked.

“Because that is the truth,” Eunha answered as she put her full attention now on Sowon and then gestured at the building beside her. “Here we are!”

Sowon blinked her eyes as she looked at the building beside her, she doesn’t even realize that they are already arrived at her house, “…Yes. Thank you for walking me home Eunha.”

Eunha chuckled, “I’m the one who should say thank you since I’m the one who asked for this and you allowed me.” Eunha then went silent for a second before she asked rather nervously, “I’ll see you later?”

Sowon smiled, “Yes, see you later Eunha.”

Eunha beamed happily with Sowon answered as she quickly nodded her head, “Okay, see you later Sowon!”

 

xxx

 

Sowon never thought that she is a creepy person, at least not until now when all she could think about from the moment she arrived at her home until now she is laying on her bed is the mysterious girl, Eunha.

Sowon can’t seem to erase her interaction with Eunha today, she keep remember how Eunha smiled happily like she got nothing to worry about but in a second that smiled can change into a sad pained smiled or how Eunha mysteriously can talked with birds, or Eunha’s words to her.

No matter what Sowon do, her mind keep coming back to Eunha.

“This is stupid, I shouldn’t keep thinking about her like this.” Sowon said frowning in displease of herself as she shook her head when she once again drown in her own thoughts about a certain smaller girl. “Get a grip of yourself, Sowon.” Sowon mumbled as she let out a small sighed and standing up from her bed.

Sowon walked towards her closet, grab her jacket and putting it on hastily. She really need to clear her mind or she won’t be able to function at all and right now, the only way that Sowon could think to clear her mind is to go jogging around the neighborhood.

“I’m going for a walk, mom.” Sowon shouted as she put on her shoes, knowing exactly that her mom will heard her from the kitchen.

“Don’t go out too late!” came her mom reply.

“Of course.” Sowon answered before she walked out from her house. She took a deep breath, feSinBng somehow already relax with the cold feeling the night air gave to her before she started her jog.

Sowon always like jogging, aside from being a good sport to train her lungs and fitness jogging also always help her feel relax and clear her mind. Unfortunately for her, the jogging now is not helping her at all. How can it help her when it doesn’t even take a few minutes of jogging when Sowon for the third time of this day saw the same girl that keep occupying her mind.

Eunha was there at the park near Sowon’s house but what made Sowon frowned is the state Eunha is in right now. Instead of sitting, she was laying on the bench looking at the night sky above her with her hand reached out as she wants to catch a star.

Concerned of the girl, Sowon slowly walked towards where Eunha is and softly called the girl name as she doesn’t want to startled the girl, “Eunha?”

Eunha looked towards Sowon, blinked slowly as if she just registered that Sowon was there standing beside her before she gave Sowon a bright smiled as she quickly get up from her laying position, “Sowon!”

“What are you doing here, Eunha?” Sowon asked, frowned still latched on her face, “It’s getting late.”

“I’m looking at the sky!” Eunha answered happily.

Sowon shook her head, “It’s dangerous to be in here at night, Eunha. You should go home, you can watch the night sky from your home too.”

Eunha looked away as she softly whispered, “I don’t have home anymore.”

“I’m sorry, what?!” Sowon asked almost shouted, shocked with what Eunha just said to her.

“I don’t have home anymore.”

“…How?”

“Something happen,” Eunha answered before she finally looked at Sowon again and gave Sowon her bright smiled, “But don’t worry, I’m okay! Beside it’s totally worth it.”

“What worth it?”

“Seeing you here is worth it.” Eunha bluntly said making Sowon blushed furiously. Just what in the world the girl mean? Is she implying that she lost her home because of Sowon? But how can that be possible?

“That doesn’t make any sense…” Sowon mumbled as she looked away from Eunha blinding smiled.

“Really?” Eunha asked, blinking innocently at Sowon. “I think it does make sense.”

Sowon let out an awkward coughed, “But if that is the case, then where are you staying Eunha?”

“Here.”

“…Here?”

“Yes.” Eunha nodded her head, “I used to live here before when I was a little, so I am sure I can adapt just well enough.”

Sowon frowned, she really want to ask what Eunha mean with she used to live in the park when she was just a kid but on the other hand Sowon thought that it was not really wise to asked Eunha about it. What if Sowon touched a sensitive spot and makes Eunha upset? She definitely doesn’t want that to happen especially not when Eunha seems in a need of help right now.

In the end Sowon let out a small sighed before she reached out her hand towards Eunha, “Come here.” Sowon said in a soft voice.

Eunha looked at Sowon’s reached out hand with wide eyes before she looked at Sowon’s eyes.

“It’s dangerous for a girl to be out here, especially at night like this. So if you don’t mind…” Sowon offered a small smiled towards Eunha, “Come with me, I have one spare room in my house so you can spend the night there.”

Sowon know that it’s dangerous to bring someone she barely know like Eunha to come with her and stay in her house but there’s no way Sowon can let Eunha to spend the night in the open like this, it’s too dangerous and beside Sowon’s consciousness won’t let her do that.

Eunha’s brown eyes sparkling in the dark as it was filled with unshed tears making Sowon gulped nervously, “Am I being too much?” Sowon thought.

Sowon’s thought was cut abruptly the moment a shaking yet warm hand wrapped around hers and a soft quivering voice said, “…Thank you.”

Sowon smiled gently as she pulled the girl to stand and then wiped the tears that finally flow down to Eunha’s cheeks, “You are welcome Eunha.”

 

xxx

 

It’s been a week since that night when Sowon brought Eunha to her house and told her parents about Eunha’s condition hoping that they will let Eunha to stay for the night there. At first she thought that her parents will probably just let the girl to stay there for a night but to her surprised, her parents not only let Eunha spend the night there, they also let Eunha to stay in their house as long as she needed making Eunha cried again that night and Sowon spend a long time to calm down the girl.

“Thank you…” Eunha softly mumbled inside Sowon’s embrace. Usually the girl won’t do something like this towards someone she just met but Eunha seems like she really need it and Sowon just didn’t have heart to let the girl crying there alone eventhough the tears was probably from the happiness she felt right now.

“It’s fine,” Sowon said softly as she patted the girl back, trying her best to ignored her parents who watched their interaction with a weird smiled on their face and put all of her attention towards Eunha, “Stop crying Eunha.”

Eunha looked up.

The way Eunha’s dark eyes twinkling brightly as she looked at Sowon, made Sowon’s heart skipped a beat.

“Thank you…”Eunha mumbled softly.

Sowon smiled, “You already said that before but you are welcome Eunha.”

Eversince that day, Eunha become her family member. Sowon’s parents treat the smaller girl as if she is their own daughter while Sowon and Eunha’s relationship grew stronger as day goes by. Everyday Sowon learn many new things about Eunha which while it never failed to amused her, it also makes her almost died from embarrassment.

Like that one time when Sowon offered Eunha to take a bath first,

“You can go and take a bath first.” Sowon said as she handed the girl the towel on her hands.

“Thank you …” Eunha said as she took the towel and looked at it, almost like examine it which made Sowon’s arched her eyebrows. The way Eunha reacted when Sowon hand her the towel almost like she never saw any towel before in her life which is actually quite impossible.

“You are welcome.” Sowon answered, “If you need help, please don’t hesitate to call me.”

Eunha nodded, “I will.”

“Okay, take your time.” Sowon said with a smiled before walked out from the bathroom, leaving the other girl alone to have her own time.

However, it doesn’t even take more than ten steps before Sowon heard Eunha shouted her name in almost helplessly shouted making Sowon quickly run towards the bathroom afraid that something bad happen towards the smaller girl.

“What’s wrong, Eunha?!” Sowon shouted as she slide opened the door in a rush.

The sight that greet Sowon however made Sowon’s widened her eyes with all of her blood rushed towards her face making her looked like a boiled crab.

There, standing right in front of her was Eunha wearing nothing but her undergarments which she’s seems having some difficulty with.

“Sowon!” Eunha shouted happily as she looked at the taller girl and beaming her bright happy smiled totally oblivious at the internal screaming Sowon did right now as the latter tried her best to looked at everywhere aside from Eunha almost body.

“Please help me?” Eunha pouted which Sowon saw from the corner of her eyes and making her face become redder if that is even possible.

“Wh-What d-do you need?” Sowon barely stuttered the words.

“I don’t know how to take off these things…” Eunha said as she gestured at her undergarments, “Can you please take it off?”

Needless to say, Sowon never called her mom as loud as she did that night while she run away from the bathroom.

Or when Sowon just simply watched two birds on the branch and yet Eunha found a way to make things become awkward,

“What are you doing?” Eunha asked as she sat beside Sowon.

“I’m just observing those two birds.” Sowon answered as she pointed towards two birds on the branch which are making some kind of weird sounds in Sowon opinion.

Eunha looked at where Sowon pointed and let out a loud gasped as her eyes went wide. She quickly closed her eyes with her two hands before suddenly shouted at the bewildered Sowon, “Sowon you ert!!”

“Wh-What ?” Sowon shouted confusedly as her face color now change into bright red with Eunha sudden accuse.

“How could you look at those two??” Eunha shouted again, eyes still closing before she suddenly stood up and run away from the confused and embarrassed Sowon all while shouting, “Sowon you ert!!!”

She can be really weird too like that one time when she suddenly told her to be aware of Yuju pushing and then came to Sowon’s school just to asked her if she fell down or not that day.

“So you didn’t fall today at all right Sowon?” Eunha asked with nervous smiled on her face.

“Yes,” Sowon nodded her head, she was confused at how Eunha act but she still answered it anyway, “I am not. I did what you told me to do, I didn’t let Yuju pushed me around.”

“That’s good…” Eunha said happily as let out a sighed of relief, “That’s really good.”

But after Sowon learn many things about Eunha, Sowon concluded that the girl in fact was still just like a kid, a kid who curious about many things. Just like right now where they were at the amusement park and Eunha keep pulling Sowon towards many rides here and there all while squealing joyfully.

Sowon couldn’t blame the girl for being this hyper though as she never went to amusement park in her life before.

Please?” Eunha pleaded as she looked at Sowon with her big teary eyes. “Just today, please accompany me to the amusement park.”

Sowon let out a sighed, she really didn’t have the heart to say no when the smaller girl looked at her like that.

“Okay,” Sowon said as she nodded and Eunha smiled brightly, “Thank you.”

“Sowon, I want to ride that!” Eunha shouted pulled Sowon out from her own thought. Eunha pointed at the biggest attraction in the park as she jumped a little earning a small chuckle from Sowon.

“The Ferris Wheel?” Sowon asked as she looked at the attraction.

Eunha nodded her head eagerly as she grabbed Sowon’s arm and began to drag the taller girl towards the attraction leaving Sowon with no choice but to just let the girl dragged her.

They walked inside the cart, sitting the opposite of each other as the Ferris Wheel slowly went up.

“This is amazing!” Eunha said happily while she looked out the window as they went up a little higher.

Sowon watched the delightful expression Eunha’s had with a small smiled on her face. Feeling happy as well when she saw Eunha like that, she always hate it when the smaller girl had that sad smiled she used to have.

“Hey Sowon.” Eunha called as she looked away from the window and stared at Sowon.

“What is it Eunha?”

“Uhm… what are they doing?” Eunha asked as she pointed towards the cart slightly below them.

Sowon titling her head in confusion before she walked to Eunha’s side and looked outside the window. At first Sowon couldn’t tell what she was looking at first but after a while, her eyes went wide and her face flushed. She quickly turned away from the scenery and sitting back on her seat before but this time with her back straightened while Eunha looked at her with her curious gaze.

“What are they doing?” Eunha asked once again making Sowon blushed deepened.

“Uhm…” Sowon gulped down nervously as her eyes looking at everywhere but Eunha,“T-They are kissing.”

“Kissing?” Eunha asked confusedly as she looked at the couple again with her curious eyes, “Why are they kissing each other?”

“Th-that’s uhm…” Sowon frowned deeply as she tried fight the blushed on her face and to find the right words to explain towards Eunha, she really wants to avoid this conversation but at the same time she know that she couldn’t. Not when Eunha seems to be really curious about it, “Th-that’s what people do to show how much t-they love each other.” Sowon said finally, hoping that Eunha at least will buy her poor explanation.

To her relief, Eunha was nod her head but that relief wasn’t last when suddenly Eunha walked towards Sowon side and sit right beside the blushing girl.

“Wh-What is it?” Sowon asked as she looked at Eunha who had been staring at her intensively.

“Uhm… well, you said people kiss each other to show how much they love each other right?”

“Uh… yes?”

“Then… should I kiss you too?”

“WHAT?!” Sowon shouted as she slide away from Eunha in reflex until her back hit the cart wall. Her eyes went wide as her face become much redder if that is even possible. “Wh-What are you talking about Eunha?!”

“I just want to show you how much I love you Sowon…”

“Wh-wh-what?”

Eunha smiled gently as she looked at Sowon’s dark brown eyes, “I love you.”

 

xxx

 

“I love you.”

Finally.

Finally Eunha can tell Sowon those three words.

Those three words are the words that Eunha always longing to tell Sowon, words that she couldn’t possibly said when she was just a bird.

Eunha held Sowon’s gaze as she leaned closer to Sowon, an action that she just learn a few second before when she watched those two human. She can feel her heart beating really fast and blood rushed to her face as she getting closer towards Sowon.

She wondered if that is just how human is as she never felt this way before when she was just a bird.

Eunha looked as Sowon slowly closed her eyes as their gapped become shortened and in response Eunha too tightly closed her eyes. It was such a weird feelings, Eunha concluded, she used to have her face this close with Sowon but then why now she it feels different? She feel scared, no scratch that instead of scare she was nervous. Really nervous. But then why she was nervous in the first place?

Eunha never found her answered.

As soon as her lips touched Sowon’s she forgot about everything and the only things that filled her thoughts was just how warm and soft her owner lips are. She never thought that human lips can be this soft and warm as not only but Eunha felt that her whole body was filled with warmth from the kiss she had.

The kiss was last for a few second before Eunha pulled away.

Their eyes met.

And in that moment Eunha felt a sudden rush to tell Sowon about her feelings.

So once again, Eunha says those three words.

“I love you, Sowon” Eunha whispered softly as she looked at the blushing Sowon, “I love you so much.”

 

xxx

 

Eunha was looking at the canned drink in her hands with a frown when Sowon finally said something after went silent from the moment they stepped out from the cart until now.

“L-Let me help you.” Sowon said softly as she offered her hand towards Eunha, gesturing the girl to gave her the canned drink.

Obediently, Eunha gave Sowon her drink and watched the girl in silent.

“E-Eunha, about the ki- Ow!!“ Sowon tried to opened the conversation but she was cut abruptly with when her finger was accidently cut by the can lid.

“Sowon?!” Eunha shouted in panic as she quickly grabbed Sowon’s hand and inspecting it closely.

Eunha’s eyes widened as she looked at Sowon’s bleeding finger.

“It’s okay, it just a small cut.” Sowon said reassuringly but her words fell into deaf ears.

Eunha expression change into a fearful expression as her hands that holding Sowon’s own hand were trembling greatly.

“N-No… this can’t be…” Eunha said as she shook her head. “I-I thought if I brought you here this won’t happen… b-but why?”

“Eunha?” Sowon asked confusedly as she looked at Eunha worriedly.

Eunha looked up from Sowon’s finger, “Sowon, tell me.” Eunha said pleadingly as she looked at Sowon’s eyes, “Th-that time when I told you to be careful around Yuju… y-you really didn’t fall right? Right??”

“Y-yes.”

“…Really?”

“Yes.” Sowon nodded her head firmly.

“Are you sure??”

“Yes I am, Eunha.” Sowon said, she was really confused at how Eunha behave right now. The girl acted really weird right now, weirder than she ever be. “It’s okay, Eunha. Really, it was just a small cut.”

“But-“

“Really, it’s okay. Now let’s go.” Sowon said as she offered her unwounded hand towards Eunha, gone all her embarrassment she felt from before as she right now just wanted to show Eunha that it was fine. She was okay and there’s nothing for the girl to feel afraid of, it’s not like she can die from a small cut like this.

“Okay…” Eunha softly said as she took Sowon’s hand. Her hand still trembling so Sowon’s squeezed the girl hand reassuringly and gave the girl a warm gentle smiled, “Let’s go home.”

 

xxx

 

“Are you okay?” Sowon asked as she looked at Eunha who hasn’t said anything yet eventhough they already arrived in front of their house.

The entire walked was filled with nothing but silent just just like before but this time it wasn’t an awkward silent but a heavy kind of silent that made Sowon become worrier as seconds passes.

Eunha nodded her head.

“Eunha looked, I-“

A loud singing voice suddenly came from Sowon’s jeans pocket, startling Sowon while Eunha beside her flinched.

“I’m sorry…” Sowon said apologetically to Eunha as she quickly pulled her phone outside from her pocket and read the text that her mom just send to her. “It’s mom,” Sowon said as she looked at Eunha, “Seems like she wants me to go and buy salt for her since we’re out of it. You can go inside the house first Eunha while I go to buy salt at the convenience store.”

 “….Don’t go.” Eunha softly said as she grabbed Sowon’s shirt when the girl turned around. “Please don’t go…”

“Eunha?” Sowon asked worriedly as she looked at Eunha.

“Please… don’t go.”

 “I will be fast, Eunha.” Sowon said softly as she patted Eunha’s head, “The convenience store was just a few minutes walk from here.”

Eunha shook her head, “Please…”

“Hey, it will be okay.” Sowon said, “Just take a rest inside the house and wait for me. I will be back before you know it okay?” Sowon then offered one last smiled towards Eunha before she softly pulled Eunha’s hand from her shirt and then run towards the convenience stores. She need to get there fast so Eunha won’t have to wait for her for a long time.

xxx

 

Eunha looked at the road where Sowon went as her tear finally fell down from her eyes.

“Let me tell you something about Fate, Eunha. Fate is just like me; she is a merchant. If you want to save Sowon, then you have to give something to Fate just like how you gave me your feathers and Sowon’s memories.”

That was what Yerin said before but that time she didn’t understand what it means.

“You will figure it out, Eunha,”

 Yerin was right, she did. She finally did figure it out.

”Sowon… you really not fall that day right?” Eunha asked once again, she was afraid. She was afraid that she got it wrong, she thought that if she is careful and brought Sowon to the amusement park on the day that accident happen, Sowon will be safe but it’s not like that.

No.

She forgot about what Yerin told her before that if Fate wants to something happen to Sowon then it will be hard for her to stop it.

But then why Sowon wasn’t fall that day? There must be something that Eunha missed.

“How many time I should tell you that I am not.” Sowon said as she squeezed Eunha’s hand once again, “I didn’t fall that day. But…” Sowon frowned.

“But?”

“But Yuju did.”

Eunha’s eyes widened in surprised, “What??”

“It’s not me, but Yuju. She fell down when I avoided her push that day.”

She hope there’s another way though as she still want to spend her time with Sowon, she still want to be with her.

But she knows it wasn’t possible.

She was running out of the time and if she want to safe Sowon she need to act fast now.

Eunha quickly wiped the tears from her eyes and ran towards where Sowon just went. She ran towards the familiar road she used to go with Sowon when she was just a bird as her mind keeps telling her to go faster and faster as she can’t be late.

She ran passed the store that Sowon usually bought some food for her there.

She ran passed the bench where Sowon and her used to sit down there for hours doing nothing and just watching clouds drifted by.

She ran passed the music store where Sowon used to play the flute inside while she sing on Sowon’s shoulder.

And she ran passed the park where she first met Sowon.

The park which hold two dear memories for her.

When Sowon took her in for the first time when she was just a little bird and the second time when she was a human.

Eunha ran and ran before she finally arrived at the front of the alley, the alley which hold a terrible memory for her. The day when she lost Sowon.

Eunha’s hand and legs trembling hard as she let out a short breath. She doesn’t know if it was from the run she just did or from the fear that she feel right now.

The fear of seeing the same thing she saw before.

Eunha took a shaky deep breath as she took a few steps towards the alley.

The fear of seeing her nightmare once again.

She could hear the shouting that came from deep inside the alley from where she stands right now and that makes her eyes widened.

The fear of being late.

She ran as fast as she could, as fast as her human legs allowed her.

The fear of losing life.

“Sowon!!” Eunha shouted loudly making the taller girl turned away from the man in front of her. Her dark brown eyes widened in surprised and fear.

“Eunha?!” Sowon shouted.

And in that split of second, Eunha saw that man. The same man that stabbed Sowon before run towards the taller girl, holding the same sharp object that killed Sowon.

“Sowon!!” Eunha shouted as she pushed herself once again to run.

 Yerin voice once again appearing in her mind, “Let me tell you something about Fate, Eunha. Fate is just like me; she is a merchant. If you want to save Sowon, then you have to give something to Fate just like how you gave me your feathers and Sowon’s memories.”

“If that is how it is, then I will pay it. I will give my payment to the Fate. Just like how Yuju was the one who fell down in Sowon’s place, let me be the one who also take Sowon place. Let me be the one who died in Sowon’s place.”

And with that thought, Eunha pushed Sowon away as the knife finally stabbed her stomach.

“Eunha!!!!” Sowon shouted loudly in fear.

The smaller girl fall down on her knees, holding her stomach. She was in so much pain but even in her state, she can’t help but feel happy, happy that she finally can protect Sowon.

“Are you crazy?! Why’d you stab her?!?!” the woman shouted angrily at the man who looked as if he was also shocked.

“I-I didn’t mean to!! I panicked!!”

“You-“ the woman quickly shook her head, “Come on, let’s just get out of here!” the woman said, giving Sowon one last glance before she quickly ran out of the alley with the two men trailing closely behind her.

“Eunha!” Sowon shouted as tears fell down from her eyes. She ran towards Eunha direction and cradled the girl inside her embrace making Eunha couldn’t help but smiled. Happy that she can feel Sowon’s warmth embrace one last time. “Please hold on a few minutes longer… I-I will call the ambulance to come!” Her eyes were franctically searching around the ground where her phone was fell down when she was avoiding those men attack.

“N-No need.” Eunha softly said as she grabbed Sowon’s hand, making the taller girl looked at her. “J-Just stay here with me Sowon…” Eunha weakly said as she coughed out blood making Sowon tightened her hold.

“Wh-What ae you talking about? Y-You need medical attention now Eunha, a-and my phone was ju-just around here, I just need to-“

“Pl-please…” Eunha smiled weakly, “Pl-please just st-stay with me? Just let me st-stay like this.”

“Eunha-“

“I’m so-sorry…” Eunha said between her heavy breath, “I-I’m so sorry Sowon.”

“Wh-Why are you saying sorry right now, Eunha?! I-I am the one who should say sorry to you!” Sowon said between her sobs. She buried her face on Eunha’s hair, “I-If only I-I didn’t follow th-that woman, i-if only I-“

“Pl-Please don’t cry Sowon…” Eunha said with a frowned she hate it when Sowon cry, she wants Sowon to smile. So with a thrembling hand she wiped Sowon’s tears just to replace it with her own blood.

“Please… please stay with me, Eunha…” Sowon whispered, holding Eunha’s hand.

“I-I’m always stay with you Sowon. Since long time before until now, I always st-stay with you… e-even when you didn’t see me, I will always be there.” Eunha softly said.

“Don’t say that! Please… please don’t say that…”

“I-I want you to live yo-your life happily Sowon. I-I want to see you ke-keep smiling…”

“If you want that then please don’t go… I’m begging you…” Sowon said as she tightened her hold.

Eunha closed her eyes, instead of the pain she feel right now on her stomach the pain from her heart when she saw Sowon cried is greater. It really hurt her to see Sowon cried like that.

“I-It should be me! It should be me who-“ Sowon’s eyes widened as a flash of memory flashed in her mind. “I-It’s not you…” Sowon softly said as she put her hand on her stomach. Her eyes looked unfocus. “I-It’s me… I-I am the one who should be lying here with that wound.”

Eunha’s eyes widened in surprised, did Sowon remembered it? But why? Why from all the time she need to remember it now? She wasn’t supposed to remember it.

Sowon looked at Eunha.

She remember it now.

It should be her who was lying there with that wound on her stomach and not Eunha.

She remember the pain that she felt when the knife stabbed her and how she can feel her own heart beating slowly and almost painfully against her ribcage before it finally stopped.

But if her memories was right, then why… why she even still here?

Why she still alive in the first place?

“S-Sowon…?” Eunha asked worriedly.

“Eunha…” Sowon softly said as her dark brown eyes looked straightly at Eunha’s brown one, searching desperately for an answer, “Wh-Who are you, Eunha…?”

Hearing Sowon’s question made Eunha forget all about her pain. She was afraid. What should she say to Sowon? The truth? But then is that the right choice to say?

“I…I…” Eunha gave Sowon a pleading looked. Wishing that Sowon wouldn’t force her to answer the question.

Sowon’s eyes widened.

She remember that she saw the same looked that time.

 “I..I’m sorry… I-I don’t think I can go home with you.”

That’s right, that time when Sowon was dying she remembered someone was there with her. Giving her that same pleading looked. She wasn’t alone.

No…

In fact she never was alone.

There’s always someone with her.

“…N-No way.” Sowon’s hand trembling as her tears keeps flowing down from her eyes. She looked at Eunha in disbelief.

Sowon didn’t want to believe it. But no matter how hard she wants to deny it, she couldn’t. Not when this made everything make sense.

The nagging feeling about her forgetting something important.

The sad smiled on Eunha’s face.

The weird action Eunha did.

And all Eunha’s words made sense now.

“Eunha, have we met before? You seem to know me but no matter how hard I try to remember it, I can’t.”

“…Yes, we have.”

“W-We have?”

“Yes, long long time before. But I am not blaming you for forgetting our meeting.”

“I-“

“Even if you remember our meeting, you won’t recognize me.”

“Wh-Why? What makes you said so?”

“Because that is the truth.”

 “N-No way…” She whispered once again.

 “I don’t have home anymore.”

“…How?”

“Something happen, but don’t worry, I’m okay! Beside it’s totally worth it.”

“What worth it?”

“Seeing you here is worth it.”

“E-Eunha?” Sowon softly whispered calling Eunha name as her trembling hands cupped Eunha’s face. “I-is this really you?” The moment those words leave Sowon’s mouth and how Sowon looked at her lovingly as the same way she used to looked at her when she was a bird, Eunha realize that Sowon finally remember.

She finally remember her.

“S-Sowon…”

Sowon let out a small shallow chuckled, “H-How stupid am I… H-How could I forgot you? I-I…”

“I-It’s not your fault, Sowon…” Eunha weakly said as she grab Sowon’s hand and gently squeezing it.

“Bu-But how did you-“ Sowon shook her head, “No, it doesn’t matter right now. Eunha… wh-Why?” Sowon asked softly as she finally understood everything, “Why you did this? T-This should be my wound… “ Sowon said as she put her hand on Eunha’s stomach. “I-I am the one who supposed to be i-in this state, not you!”

“I-I’m sorry…”

“W-Why…?” Sowon sobbed as she brought her head on Eunha’s chest and cried, “W-Why you did this…? I… I…”

“Sowon….” Eunha softly called Sowon. She could feel that her strength left her as it become harder and harder for her to stay awake and to talked but even so she need to tell Sowon everything, she doesn’t want to have any regret, “Th-thank you, for always protecting me Sowon…”

“E-Eunha…”

“Th-thank you for giving me a house, thank you for giving me a name, thank you for giving me a family… and thank you for giving me love.” Eunha said with a small gentle smiled.  “I-I love you Sowon.”

Sowon’s body stiffened as cried harder. Her hands clung onto Eunha’s dress tightly as she let out a small whimpered voice.

Their eyes meet each other as Sowon leaned closer to Eunha, giving the girl a kiss. A kiss that was just like the kiss they shared before in Ferris Wheel. The sweet and soft kiss but this time the kiss was tasted like tears and blood unlike before, the taste that makes Sowon cried harder.

The moment Sowon leaned away, a bright light was surrounding Eunha forcing Sowon once again closed her eyes and when finally can opened her eyes, instead of a pair of Eunha’s eyes, another pair of familiar eyes looked at her.

A pair of bird eyes gazing at her gently before it let out a small chirped of voice and then just like how it suddenly appear, the bird was gone leaving just a golden feather on Sowon’s lap.

Sowon clutched the bird feather on her hands tightly as if her life was depended on it before she too softly whispered between her sobs, “I-I love you too Eunha… I love you… so much.”

 

xxx

 

“So in the end she did it.” A girl with blonde hair said softly as she looked at the crying Sowon’s back. She’s been watching the whole scene from the start and she can’t help but feel sorry for both of the girls. If only there’s a way to save them both.

“Yes, she did SinB.”

“Hey Yerin.” SinB called, “Will she be fine?”

“Who? Sowon?”

“Yes…”

Yerin nodded her head, “It will take time but she eventually will.”

“That bird really love her owner, isn’t she?”

“She is, not as a pet for her owner but as a girl towards another girl and her owner is also in love with her. That’s why in the end despite me taking her memories away she still manages to remember Eunha. Too bad they couldn’t be together.” Yerin said with a sad smiled as she looked at SinB’s  eyes.

“…I feel sorry for them.”

“And yet you were so harsh towards Eunha before.” Yerin teasingly said.

SinB blushed, “Th-that’s-“

“It’s okay, I understand.” Yerin said, chuckling softly before she gave one last sad glance towards Sowon’s back and turned away, “Let’s go SinB, we still have work to do.”

 SinB nodded her head before she transformed back to her cat form.

They walked side by side, looking for another soul who in need for their help.

 


A/N: Thank you for reading this really long one shot story. I hope you guys enjoy it ^^;

PS: I still have many past fics that I want to change in WonHa AU... Seriously I need to stop this... T^T. Someone please tell WonHa to stop pulling me deeper...