Final

Sick and Tired
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Okay, kids," Chaeyoung began to as he walked back and forth in front of the living room couch, hand clasped behind her back. "What are the rules for when Mommy is sick?" 

"Um," Ella, her youngest, hummed. "No eating things that aren't food." 

Yejun, her eldest, only blew his blonde hair out of his eyes with a giggle. "That there are no rules!" 

"Wrong," Chaeyoung said, coming to a stop to stare at them. "They are definitely rules. And Ella, you don't eat things whether I'm in charge or Jen is. Or hell, even if the dog was in charge, you don't eat things! We've gone over this!" Huffing, the Aussie thought for a moment before saying, "Any other guesses?" 

No. Not from those two. If she was going to be rude about it, then they didn't wanna play with her. 

Jihun, however, the eldest of the three, only sat there on the other side of the couch, glaring at Chaeyoung. He knew the rules of Jennie being sick and knew them well. The first and most important was, of course, that they weren't allowed to bother her. In the new house, that meant that they weren't even allowed to go into her room and wake her up. Short of one of them cutting their arms off or something, Jennie was to be left alone so she could rest. 

Jihun hated that rule. A lot! How could Jennie get better if he wasn't there nursing her back to health? If you ask Jennie, she'd tell you that very much and so wanted her kids there, but mean ol'Chaeyoung didn't see it that way. Something about they'd only stress her more or some other stupid garb like that. 

 

Bah!

 

No one could make Jennie feel as great as Jihun could. No one. 

She was his mother, and he was her favorite. No doubt about either of those. Jennie needed him.

"No?" Chaeyoung was still prompting. "No guesses? Alright, I'll tell you. The one and only rule is that I am in charge. Which means no one is going to bother Mommy or whining because I'm mean or-"

"Chaeyoung, What are you doing? Because I know it's not bothering the children."

"Dad," she complained. "I'm talking to my kids right now, so if you would kindl-"

"When you were little," Her dad went on the three kids, at the sound of his voice, jumped up to go use the man for protection, "I couldn't get you to behave for anything. Did you know, Jihun, that your daddy used to-"

"We brought you here for your own good," Chaeyoung growled. "But you interrupting me is about to make it to your detriment." 

"Chaeyoung is being mean," Jihun told his grandfather who only patted him on the head. "We don't like her as much as Mommy."

"Don't call me by my first name, you brat," Chaeyoung complained as Ella only wrapped her arms around her grandfather with a giggle. "And you better stop undermining me, dad." 

"I'm not undermining you," Her dad defended. "At all. If Jennie is sick, they shouldn't bother her. But they don't need you acting so rudely to them about it. And besides, if you really wanted to do your wife some good, you'd take them out of the house for a bit so she could truly get some peace and quiet." 

Chaeyoung blinked. Then she glared. "You don't think I was already planning that?" 

No. But the man only hummed before patting each boy on the head and saying, "How about you go and get ready for the day. You don't think you can go out in your n nightclothes, do you?" 

 

~~~

 

It took some time for them all to get ready. Chaeyoung had to change too, doing as quietly as possible as she entered her and Jennie's bedroom. She was in there, of course, with her faithful Kuma sleeping at her side, and didn't stir in the slightest as Chaeyoung moved around. The kids were very busy as well, trying hard not to wake her up. 

Except for that argument over the bathroom where Jihun wanted to take a shower and Ella was trying to brush her teeth and Yejun had to pee. That argument went on for a good ten minutes until Chaeyoung came to break them the hell up. And shut them the hell up as well.

 

Those three...

 

Chaeyoung went to go wake Jennie up before they left though, to inform her of what they were doing.

"I'm gonna take the kids out to the supermarket," She told her as Jennie only blinked sleepily at her. "Alright? And I set some water on your nightstand. Right here. See?" 

"I'm not five, Chaeyoung." She whispered, voice extremely hoarse, "Thank you though." 

 Nodding, she said, "We'll go out and get some stuff to make soup." 

"You don't have t-"

"I do have to," She insisted. "And besides, I have to make them something for dinner anyway." 

"I guess that's right."

"Dad is still here,"  She added as she turned to head for the door. "In case you need anything."

Jennie snuggled down into the bed with a sigh. "Like I would ever bother Da-"

"I know," She said, grinning over at her. "But he made me say that."

"I won't be gone long," The Aussie assured her. "And if the dog's bothering you-"

"Hubby, leave us alone." She shut her eyes as her Kuma didn't move from his spot, well, Chaeyoung's spot. But really, it was her spot. She just lets him keep it warm sometimes. 

"For you? Anything." 

"Mmmm." 

It wasn't hard for Jennie to drift off after that. She did hear Chaeyoung's dad mucking around the place though and only wished she didn't have such a severe headache so that she could use her headphones to block the noise out. All of her ached, however, and the only relief was sleep.

The next time she awoke, some time had passed and she was lying there, on her side, staring over at where Ella was standing, at the side of her bed. 

"Hi," Jennie whispered softly as Ella only stood there.

"Hi."

"What are you doing?"

"Waiting for you to wake up," She told her. The girl had recently gotten a hair cut. Her hands were clasped behind her back and she almost looked nervous. Jennie had no doubt that her wife had threatened them that if they got caught bothering her, they'd be in big trouble.

"Why, baby? Are you okay?"

She nodded before moving to hold something out to her. It was a card, from the looks of it, and with a groan, Jennie sat up to look at it.

"Wow," She complimented as Ella lost some of her anxiousness and bouned in place, clearly excited. "This is really...something, baby."

"Uh-huh," It definitely was. Reaching out, she pointed at the face of the card. "I wrote that."

"I can tell."

"I didn't even ask Hun and Jun on how to spell it." 

Considering it said, "Git well Son" she wasn't too shocked by that admission.

"It's beautiful." She said.

"Open it!" Another bounce. "Mommy."

"I am," She told her with a slight grin. The dog had woken up then and only shifted in bed with a loud breath. He wasn't feeling well either, but that was more his usual pains than anything special. "Wow Ella, Did you draw this, honey?" 

"Uh-huh. All 'lone." She leaned over the side of the bed to stare at it with her. "You like it?"

"I love it. Is this me? And you? And there's daddy, Jihun, and Yejun, and... What is this, Ella?" Jennie pointed to the stick figure that looked like it was going crazy. 

"That's Lisa," She said.

"Why's she different from the others?" 

"Why wouldn't she be?"

And they both just stared at one another for a moment and, with a shake of her head, Jennie gave in. Then they went through the other stick figures that were there, rounding out Ella's family with her Aunt Jisoo, Aunt Joohyun, Uncle BamBam, and of course, Uncle Seokjin. Not to mention Chaeyoung's dad and Kuma. For some reason, Ella had given her grandfather yellow atop his head for his hair, which Jennie found odd at first, but figured that the old man had probably instructed him to do so.

Sounded extremely likely.

"Ella," they heard someone yelling about then. It was Chaeyoung. "Where are you?"

"Uh-oh." Ella patted her Mommy's arm and blew her doggy a kiss before hightailing it outta there.

Jennie only giggled though, spending another few moments staring at the card, before moving to set it up on her nightstand where it would remain a few days until she finally put it in the drawer with all the other kids 'artworks'. 

Just as quickly though, she was diving back under the covers as the shivers set in and tried to sleep some more. It wasn't easy, however, and she mostly just laid around in bed miserable for a good hour before she must have passed out. That was the only explanation as the next time she opened her eyes, the sun was setting outside it seemed. What had woken her up thou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter