Chapter 1

Calamity for Who?: From Homeworld to Beach City, Etheria to Japan

The Nephrites, Jaspers, Peridots, Citrines, Carnelians, Amethysts, and other Gems stood in straight, neat rows. Each battalion would be commanded by Rose Quartzes un-bubbled from the Human Zoo. The Nephrites would fly the Marquise Chippers, within the Pear Shimmer, also piloted by their likeness. The squadron of Destiny Destroyers would be led by Emerald, the Trilliant Splitters by Hessonite, the Sun Incinerators by a crew of Agates, staffed by Carnelians and Amethysts. Admiral Jack, the mind-controlled version of a man formerly known as Samurai Jack, piloting his Asscher Slasher, served as the supreme commander of the Great Diamond Armada (GDA). In the fleet’s last engagement against the Horde, some ships and Gems had been lost. Now, the GDA was many times stronger, expanding its forces.

For this mission, the Pear Shimmer would carry, apart from the starfighters, huge transport ships consisting of Diamond drills and Esperanzas, a bit like tanks. The Jaspers, Peridots, and Citrines, also on the ship, would be part of the ground assault force, assisted by Lapis Lazulis and Aquamarines. Pink Pearl would serve as the ground commander, showing her loyalty to the cause of the Diamonds. When Yellow and White Diamond approached, the Gems remained at attention. Blue did not attend as she did not want any part in this scheme, faithful to Steven and the Gems on Earth, unlike Yellow and White, a decision these Diamonds accepted. White and Yellow saw her action as duplicitous since Blue Pearl had drawn up the invasion and blockade plans of this new planet, but neither mentioned it to her directly, only thinking it privately.

Standing by White’s side, Yellow examined assembled Gems. Everything seemed in order, so she smiled in glee. White addressed those before her, dubbing them the Great Diamond Military (GDM), with the GDA as a subsidiary.

“I am White Diamond, matriarch of the Diamond Authority. I see eager Gems, in front of me, ready to defeat the enemy and restore honor to Gemkind. I am confident you will all fight the enemy with dignity. Make us proud! Fight for Homeworld! Remember those killed in the Battle of Horde Prime! Some of you will not return. Stand by your compatriots in this glorious fight and move forward to victory. We battle for the empire! Long live the Great Diamond Authority!”

The Gems cheered, caught up in the fervor, with the action by Steven and the Crystal Gems to challenge White, Blue, and Yellow four years ago fading into the background. This was part of the reason an invasion of another planet would serve as a distraction, allowing the Diamonds to consolidate control. Aquamarines led the departing Gems into their respective ships, while the others got into their starfighters and spaceships. Sometime later, Yellow Diamond blew the warp whistle, signifying that the Gems could leave Homeworld’s orbit and warp to a planet called “Earth” but not the one that Steven, Carmen Sandiego, Adora, and others lived on. This planet had a hyper-corporate society and advanced civilization with space travel technology. For this reason, the White and Yellow saw it as a threat. The ships warped away, disappearing into space one by one. Snickering and grinning like a Cheshire cat, White stared up in delight. Everything was going according to plan and the Gems on Earth could do nothing about it!

Back on Earth, Julia sighed. Apart from Yuri coming to the museum with their girlfriend, Anna Suehiro, and enjoying the company of Carmen, her day had been dull. Some days she dreamed of burning the whole museum down, angry at what had become of her life, but then remembered the care that had gone into assembling all the artifacts and records. Locking up the museum, she walked out the front door, Carmen at her side, and looked glum.

“What’s the matter, Jules?

‘Oh, life. I like being a curator and all, but the excitement I once had is gone. Although Chase Devineaux was a jerk, I really enjoyed going to other places…I miss traveling the world.

‘I can’t solve all that…but maybe some people I know might make you feel better!

‘Really? Where are they? In some far-off land like Cuba, the Mexican Islands, or Persia?

‘No, right here in Japan.

‘Oh, drat.

‘Don’t fret! They are some of the nicest people I know. Now, hold on tight. We’re gonna try and fly there. I hope this will work well with two people…

‘Carm, if you’re not comfortable with it, I can call Mimi or Rin, who can drive us there.

‘No…thanks.

Jumping off the roof, she held Jules tightly in her arms. Due to the weight, the hang glider didn’t have as much control as usual. She had installed little rocket jets on the side, making it fly at a hypersonic speed, making it uncontrollable. Before they took off in such a burst of energy, one person on the ground snapped a picture of the scene: Yukari “Caroline” Hayasaka. Since professional modeling in Tokyo had been her life’s work for the last 13 years, Carmen’s appearance interested her, as she thought Carmen might be a model like her! She texted the photo to one of her younger friends in the industry, Anna Suehiro, only age 21, asking if she knew the woman. Her response made her heart skip a beat:

“Hai! Sore wa watashi to watashi no joifurendodearu Yuki ga V. I. L. E de deatta waruna on'nadesu gogo no hakubutsukan to ākaibu. Kanojo no namae wa karumen Sandiego de, kanojo ga motte iru hito wa Juria ājento to iu kyurētādesu. Karera wa gārufurendo ka nanika, watashi wa shiranai. Yuri wa motto te iru kamo shirenai. Sore ijō shirimasen, gomen'nasai.”

(“Yes! That’s the badass woman me and my joyfriend, Yuri, met at the V.I.L.E. Museum and Archives this afternoon. Her name is Carmen Sandiego and the person she’s holding is the curator there named Julia Argent, I think. They are girlfriends or something, I dunno. Yuki might know more. I don’t know any more than that, sorry.”)

Texting back, she thanked Anna and promised to meet her sometime for tea so they could catch up. She was once married to Hiroyuki Tokumori, the same age as her, 31, it didn’t last long because her rebellious and independent free spirit couldn’t mesh with his straight and narrow ideals. Since he had now become a physician working at a hospital named after his family, he was Yuki’s friends, although Caroline wasn’t aware of it. About to call Miwako, her bubbly pink-haired friend, now an established designer at Happy Berry, a brand still headed by her sister, Mikako, she saw Carmen and Jules spiraling out of control, crashing into a building, beginning to fall. She gazed in utter shock. Rather than freezing in place, she ran toward the site. Carmen and Jules had flown straight into the large skyscraper emblazed with the logo of Sarashina Incorporated (SRI), the Soba restaurant chain run by the parents of Chizuru “Chi” Sarashina, another friend of Yuri. Quickly running through the streets of Tokyo, she tried to catch her breath after reaching the high-rise building. She saw two women dragging an injured Carmen and Jules into an establishment named Yuki No Geibā. Throwing open the door, she demanded they stop their “reckless action,” threatening to call the police.

“Anata wa nani o e iru to omoimasu ka? Sorera no josei wa soko de fushō shimaa!

(“What the hell do you think you are doing? Those women were injured out there!)

‘Karera wa wataachi no yōna rezubiandesu... Dakara wataachi wa karera o tasukete imasu. Ki ni shinai baai wa, taoreta dōshi ni igaku-teki ni shusseki suru hitsuyō ga arimasu.

(‘They are lesbians like us…so we’re helping them. If you don’t mind, we need to medically attend to our fallen comrades.)

‘Wakarimaa… dansei to josei ga sukina dezainā no yūjin ga imaa. Kare wa mada yūjin to Pari ni ite, soko no kaisha no tame ni arayuru shurui no fasshonaburuna fuku o tsukutte imasu…

(‘I get it…I had a designer friend once, who liked men and women. He’s still in Paris with his friend, producing all sorts of fashionable clothing for companies there…)

‘Ā! Kare no onamae wa?

(‘Ooh! What’s his name?)

‘Sore wa jōshi ‘jōji' Koizumidesu. Kare to issho ni fuku o dezain suru kare no josei no yūjin wa, toransujendā no josei, izabera Yamamotodesu.

(‘It’s Jōji "George" Koizumi. His lady friend, who designs clothes with him, is Isabella Yamamoto, a transgender woman.)

‘Watashi wa kare o shirimasen…happīberī no Miwako o te imasuga.

(‘I don’t know him…although I know of Miwako of Happy Berry.)

‘E e, kanojo wa watashi no mottomo furui yūjin no hitoridesu!

(‘Yeah, she’s one of my oldest friends!)

'Wao! Nani ga anata o koko ni otosu nodesu ka…kega no genba e?

(‘Wow! What brings you down here…to the site of an injury?)

`Watashi wa, karumen Sandiego to iu namae no kono akai josei ga moderu ni naru koto o nozonde imaa. Watashi wa puro no moderu de, kanojo no fasshon sensu ga sukidesu.

(‘I was hoping this lady in red, named Carmen Sandiego, might be a model. I’m a professional model and I like her fashion sense.)

Carmen lay unconscious on the floor, badly hurt. Although Jules also sustained extensive wounds, she had enough strength to pull a pen out of her pocket, clicking it. It flew and landed on the ground, upright, standing on its point. While she wasn’t a member of A.C.M.E. anymore, the pen served as a keepsake and a last-ditch emergency help line. A hologram of The Chief projected across the room, surprising everyone. Surveying the scene, she could see an unconscious Carmen and a weakened Julia, who mouthed the words “hospital. We need to go to the hospital…hurt badly…please help.” Nodding, she spoke to everyone in the bar, who knew they would all have to speak English to this holographic figure.

“I’m not sure who you all are, but I thank you for aiding her in this time of need. Don’t worry about expenses. She is being taken to Tokumori Hospital, as is Carmen.

‘Ma’am, these women are strangers to us, but we’d like to stay with them as they go the hospital, if that’s possible.

‘Very well, that goes for all of you…and you Miss…

‘Yukari Hayasaka, ma’am. I’m a professional model here in Tokyo.

‘Thank you, Ms. Hayasaka and everyone here. We appreciate your efforts.

The pen fell to the ground as the message ceased. The fellow bar goers were angry at The Chief, feeling she was patronizing them. The loud clacking of high heels made everyone, especially the bar goers, tense up. A 35-year-old woman, Yuki, stepped out of the shadows and walked into the room. They wore professional business attire and a lime green tie. Yuki angrily shouted at the patrons for their disrespect.

“Kanojo ni tsuite dō yatte sore o iu koto ga dekimasu ka? Kanojo wa wataachi o tasuketakatta dakedesu. Kanojo wa kono shisetsu no josei o hontōni shinpai e imaa. Wataachi wa maemukide, ōpunmaindodeari tsudzuke, taoreta nakama no hitori o tasukete kureru hitonara dare demo ukeirenakereba narimasen.

(“How can you say that about her? She just wanted to help us. She was genuinely concerned about the women in this establishment. We should remain positive, open-minded, and accept anyone helping one of our fallen comrades.)

‘Yuki, watashi wa anata no tachiba o rikai e imasuga, koko de keisatsu no shūgeki o suru yoyū wa arimasen. Kanojo wa akiraka ni keikan ka nanrakano katachidesu... Watashi wa man'nenhitsu kara detekuru josei o shin'yō e imasen!

(‘Yuki, I understand your position, but we can't afford a police raid here. She's clearly a cop or some form of one...I don't trust a woman who comes out of a fountain pen!)

‘Fain. Watashi wa ryōhō o soto ni motte iki, tokumori byōin made kuruma o matsu koto ni dōi shimasu. Yuka kara hodō ni idō suru no o tetsudatte kudasai.

 (‘Fine. I'll agree to take both outside, to await vehicles to Tokumori Hospital. Please help me move them from the floor to the sidewalk.)

Grumbling, the bar’s patrons helped carry Carmen and Julia outside. Caroline also lent a hand since she still wanted to ask Carmen, a mysterious woman for her, if she was a model. If she wasn’t, perhaps she could encourage her to join the modeling business. The more friends she had in this tough industry the better.

The vans arrived on Dōseiai Street. Chi, otherwise known as Chizuru Sarashina, watched the scene on the street below from her fourth-floor office in the SRI skyscraper. Although only 22 years old, one year older than Yuri, she served as a middle manager in the company. Shaking her head, she groused about the damage to the window caused by Carmen and Julia smashing into it, accidentally. Moving her hands wildly, her long hair blowing in the wind as air entered cracks in the windowpane, she shouted.

'Tsk, tsk, tsk. Mendōna kodomo-tachi. Karera wa sekinin o shiranaide kudasai! Saikin wa daremoga kiraku ni sugoseru wake ni wa ikimasen. Anata o zenshin sa seru yuiitsu no koto wa, kinben-sa to kenshindesu... Wataachi zen'in ga mawari ni atsumaru koto wa dekimasen! Korera no toraburumēkā wa, hōritsu no zenryoku o tsukatte taisho suru hitsuyō ga arimasu. Korera no tōri ni wa gēmu no basho wa arimasen.'

(“Tsk, tsk, tsk. Those meddlesome kids. Don’t they know responsibility! No one can afford to be carefree these days. The only thing that moves you forward is hard work and dedication…we can’t all be galivanting around! Those troublemakers should be dealt with using the full force of the law. There’s no place for games on these streets.”)

This sentiment stood in stark contrast to her personality eight years before in junior high school. Back then, she acted as a free spirit, often outrageously, impulsively, and unconventionally. Through this change, Momoko, often called Momo, a childhood friend, had stayed by her side, defending her from anyone deemed to be “bullying” her, whether true or false. The only aspect of herself that had remained, apart from her long hair, was her stylish clothes.

Carmen and Julia arrived at Tokumori Hospital. They had been lucky. A fall of 50 to 60 feet would prove fatal to most. After hitting the glass both slid down the side of the building to the ground. They moved at such a fast speed it caused bruising, leading to a concussion for Carmen, since she took the brunt of the impact onto the pavement, with Jules left dazed, but weak. Awaking, almost like she had a bad dream, a hand of the patient in the bed next to her, Jules, grasped her hand lovingly. Unfortunately, this didn’t ease her pain.

Peri and Lapis entered the room with a smile, sitting down next to her bed, putting red roses in a vase on a nearby table. Peri cried. It seemed like the only logical response to seeing Carmen in casts and all sorts of IVs flowing into her body to keep her stabilized. On the other hand, Lapis expressed hope that Carmen would get better.

“Carmen, are you ok? We came as fast as we could after hearing what happened.

‘I feel like there are thousands of little needles sticking into my body and I feel unable to do anything. Who said I was here?

‘Oh, the physician. Julia told the woman we were good friends of yours who could comfort you in this time of need. She seemed excited to see you here.

‘Is Jules ok?

‘I think so. She sustained a lot less injury than you did… What were you doing flying through Tokyo on the hang glider anyway? Isn’t it meant for one person?

‘Yes, it is. After Jules confided to me that she lacked excitement in her life, I thought bringing her to visit you both would raise her spirits. This isn’t the way I wanted you to meet my girlfriend, in a hospital, but we’ve been dating for almost two weeks now.

‘Congrats! Best of luck to you. If you need anything, please contact me or Peri. We’re here for you, down the road, as to speak, from Tokyo.

‘Thanks, Lapis.

Lapis hugged Carmen and kissed her on the forehead, showing she cared about her as a friend. Peri embraced her as well. Carmen was glad she had such caring friends. Both left the room and promising to return for future visits to check up on her. The physician, serving as a nurse today, entered. Carmen’s face had an expression of shock. She hadn’t expected to see Yuri ever again. Her cheeks turned as red as raspberries in embarrassment.

“I…didn’t think I’d see you again, Yuri, and so soon after our first meeting. I’m too tired to speak in Japanese right now. If we could speak in English, that would be best.

‘Of course. Ms. Sandiego, it is a pleasure to help you. How are you feeling?

‘Better than before. I banged my head badly and it’s throbbing. Every part of my body feels like its sore. The pain is everywhere.

‘That’s to be expected after your accident. You are lucky it wasn’t more than four stories.

‘What about Jules?

‘Ms. Argent is fine. She didn’t get hurt as badly as you did. She’s resting now, apparently in a coma from what we can tell.

‘I’ll have to repay you for this someday...maybe me and Jules can go on a double date with you and your partner, Anna Suehiro.

‘I’d like that very much! I really want to become friends with you. I love your fashion sense. I’ll be back later to check on you.

Utena and Anthy came in, solemnly, Anthy praying for good fortune. Utena proceeded to put sunflowers into the nearby vase and walked toward Carmen. She clasped her hand tight and bowed, gazing directly into her gray-blue eyes, beginning to cry.

“Rapisu to peri ga wataachi ni itta koto no nochi ni…wataachi wa anata ni awanakereba narimasendea. Atte inai koto wa te imasuga, watashi wa tenjō-sandesu. Kore ga watashi no pātonā de, 22-nenkan Himemiya-sandesu.

(“After what Lapis and Peri told us…we had to see you. I know we haven’t met, but I am Ms. Tenjou and this is my partner, for 22 years, Ms. Himemiya.)

‘Oaidekiteureshīdesu. Eigo de hanasu koto ga dekitara, Amaki-san, sore wa watashi ga ima nihongo o hanasu tsumori wanainode, watashi no gengo nōryoku wa mada sukoshi sabite irunode konoma remasu.

(‘It’s a delight to meet you both. If we could speak in English, Ms. Tenjou, that would be preferred because I’m not up to speaking Japanese right now and my language skills are still a bit rusty.)

‘Sorry! I should have asked you sooner. I hope you get well soon. Me and Anthy will be praying for you, praying to Ebisu, a god of fortune, and Kotoamatsukami, the primary kami trinity.

‘While I’m not religious myself, I appreciate your gesture. Thank you, Ms. Tenjou and Ms. Himemiya. I’m glad you came.

‘Ms. Sandiego, we wish you good fortune in the days to come.

After saying this, Anthy cried, Utena comforting her, both leaving the room in tears. Sitting in the hospital bed, Carmen began contemplating everything, her life, her relationship with Jules, and all that revolved around it. She tried to grab her phone, but her arms were in casts, as were her legs. She shouted out the name “Yuri!” No one came. She pressed the “Assistance” button on her bed, in hopes that would work instead. Running in, they apologized for not coming sooner, having to catch their breath.

“Ms. Sandiego, is there anything you’d like help with?

‘Yes! I’m in these casts so I can’t reach my phone. I wanted to call my friend and tell him I am OK, so he doesn’t get worried.

‘I can do that. Who would you like me to call?

‘Its under the name “Player.” Click the button for “video call” and it will auto-dial the number.

The phone began ringing. Carmen hoped he would pick up. Fortunately, he did, stunned to see her in casts and in a hospital. He let out a gasp.

“Red! What…happened to you?

‘I crashed into a building in my hang glider. The weight of Jules caused it to go out of control. After sliding down the side of the building and onto the hard concrete below, the next thing I remember was waking up in this hospital bed. Peri, Lapis, Utena, and Anthy have already come to see me. I’m so grateful for that.

‘Is everything OK?

‘I mean, I’m conscious now. I suffered a concussion and my head hurts a bit. I have casts covering all parts of my body, while my legs and arms are elevated.

‘So…who is holding the phone, then?

‘Oh, it’s the physician here, Yuri. She…they…I mean, have been so kind to me. I’m surprised you weren’t aware of my injury sooner. Aren’t you and Peri friends or something?

‘We are…but she hasn’t contacted me in a while. I’m not sure what happened.

‘She probably has a lot going on. She moved in with Utena and Anthy’s country house south of Yokohama, so she’s living in Japan now.

‘I bet that’s the reason she hasn’t talked to me for some time.

‘Yup. I’ll keep you posted on my recovery.

‘Feel better soon, Red!

The video chat ended. Yuri put the phone on the bedside table. Approaching Carmen, they asked if they could do anything else. Nodding her head side-to-side, they took the hint and departed. Laying in the bed, she dozed off, happy that Lapis, Peri, Utena, and Anthy had come to visit her. Caroline continued to sit in the waiting room and asked Yuri if she could visit Ms. Sandiego, to which she nodded a no, telling her the patient had gone to sleep. Annoyed, she relaxed in the waiting room, texting Miwako, asking her to come to the hospital.

Meanwhile in Beach City, Steven, Connie, Bih, Garnet, Pearl, Adora, and Amethyst were relaxing in the Beach House, hoping that tomorrow’s meeting would be productive. Steven, Connie, Bih, and Garnet were playing a game together, Cartel, with each player acquiring new properties on which they could charge rent, increasing if they had “houses” or “hotels.” One person served as the “banker.” All the players chose from the stack of cards organized into the “Communal Chest” and “Wild Cards,” rolling two dice every turn to go a certain number of spaces on the board. Pearl received a call from someone unexpected (Peri) and began crying, dashing out of the room, Adora running after her.

“Pearl, is something wrong?

‘Yes! Carmen’s in a Japanese hospital.

‘That’s awful! How are we gonna visit her?

‘Well…I didn’t think about that!

‘You could call Lapis and tell her to fly us there.

‘No, no, no. I don’t want to inconvenience her like that.

Hopelessly sighing, Pearl walked into the Beach House, dejected. Adora held her hand, doing her best to comfort her partner. Letting out a loud groan, she fell to the floor and shouted “WHYYYYY!” while sobbing. Steven took notice. He knew Pearl could have low self-esteem at times. He came down to her level and tried to get her out of her funk.

“Pearl, what’s wrong? Why are you so sad?

‘Carmen is in the hospital in Tokyo…and I can’t visit her…it’s not right!

‘What do you mean you can’t?...Lapis could easily get you there…she has water wings after all.

‘I’m aware of that…but I don’t want to disturb her…

‘Ok. Remember Uncle Andy?...my cousin who came to the barn and went to Garnet’s wedding…he still has a biplane...he could fly all three of us to Japan…

‘Great! I forgot about him.

‘I just have to talk to my dad first…

Steven promised to return soon, giving Amethyst permission to play his turn. Beaming, she told him she’d do anything for “Steve-O,” giving him a high-five. Pearl and Adora waved goodbye to everyone, following Steven over to Greg’s carwash. They found Greg sleeping in a beach chair. Steven softly spoke, announcing himself.

“Dad, it’s me.

‘Hey…Schtu-ball!...Pearl…and…

‘Adora. I’m Pearl’s partner…

‘Thanks for reminding me…I haven’t seen you that many times, but your name rings a bell. So, Steven, why’d you and your friends stop by here today?

‘We were hoping you’d be able to help us get to…Japan.

‘But…I don’t have any form of transportation other than my van…

‘No, not with your van but with Uncle Andy’s biplane.

‘Right! I’ll call him up. He’s in Miami right now, on vacation at some of their beautiful beaches.

Andy answered almost immediately. Steven, Pearl, and Adora could only hear Greg’s words during the short conversation. Getting off the phone, Greg put up his fists and yelled “YES! HE AGREED TO IT!” Steven embraced him and whispered “Thanks, Dad!” In Miami, sitting on Florida Island, in the Floridan Archipelago, Andy stepped into his biplane and gestured toward the fellow beach combers.

With a maximum speed of 200 mph at 5,500 feet, a usual range of 400 miles, and able to climb 900 feet a minute, his plane differed from typical biplanes. Even so, some could doubt that he would be able to travel all the way to Beach City. However, he had flown from Beach City to southern Korea in the past, a 6,922-mile distance (11,480 KM), so he could easily make this 979-mile trip (about 1,575.5 KM), especially with extra fuel tanks. It would take him about 4 hours and 45 minutes, at minimum, to get to Beach City. Due to the range of his plane, he had to refuel in Jacksonville, on Jacksonville Island, also in the Archipelago, then to Wilmington, in Mipsia, and finally to Beach City, a total of 979 miles. Since the biplane served as his normal form of transportation, he had friends across the worldwide biplane community who helped him out when he made long trips.

After being informed it would take Andy a while to arrive in Beach City, Pearl grimaced. Adora soothed her so much that she drifted off to “sleep” in her arms, something Steven described as “cute.” The day wore on, everyone tired from the summer sun. Suddenly, the sound of the biplane’s motor could be heard nearby, Steven hollering, “Uncle Andy!” The plane touched down on a nearby grassy field, the former site of the barn where Lapis and Peri had lived. Steven and Greg ran, with Adora following behind, holding Pearl in her arms, as light as ever. They soon reached the plane, its motor humming. Unlike most biplanes, there were three seats, one for the pilot and two for passengers, the last seat added during the time Steven and the Gems spent in Etheria. Stepping out of his plane, Andy welcomed everyone. Although he warned them that his plane could only handle three people, Adora refused to let Pearl go. He agreed to let Pearl come along on the condition she hold onto her tightly during their flight to Japan, passing through many different sovereign states, republics, and whatnot.

After 2 hours and 20 minutes, a 440 mile-distance, straining the engine, they arrived in Columbus, one of the biggest cities in the ia-Ohio Confederation, using their battery-powered lights to see through the dark. Andy refueled the biplane, helped by Steven, while Adora and Pearl slept. About 2 hours and 396 miles later, arriving at St. Louis, one of the big hubs in the Midwestern Republic, 396 miles, during the late night. Steven again aided in fueling the plane. As the night wore on, the biplane arrived at Wichita, Kansas; Colorado Springs in the Kingdom of Utco; Salt Lake City in the same Kingdom; and Boise in the Republic of Midacat. Next up on their northward trajectory was Seattle, in the state of Tagonishi.

Andy decided to stop in Seattle, having traveled for 11 hours and 30 minutes, a total of 2,448 miles from Beach City! Leaving Beach City at 8:00 PM, 23 minutes before sunset, beginning in the Delmarva Standard Time (DST) zone, they had passed through six time zones since each state had their own time zone: ia-Ohio Standard Time (VOST), Midwestern Standard Time (MST), Kansas Standard Time (KST), Utco Standard Time (UST), Midadat Standard Time (MIST), and Tagonishi Standard Time (TST). This meant that while it would have been 7:30 A.M. in the morning, since their biplane had passed through that many time zones, it was actually 1:30 PM the next day!

The plane landed near the Super Sparkling Plant, a diner like those created many years ago, from a long-forgotten traditionalist time. Sitting in a booth, a waitress asked Adora, Pearl, Andy, and Steven what each would like to order. Pearl passed on any food, only wanting a glass of water, while Andy ordered a cheeseburger and fries, Steven a personal pizza, and Adora a sprout burger, wanting to be “experimental.” Chowing through their food, Andy asked how everyone was doing, trying to be more understanding.

“So, how’s everyone feeling?

‘Tired from the trip so far, Uncle Andy, but it will be worth it when we get to Japan!

‘I’m sorry to hear about your friend. What happened to her?

‘Oh, she slammed into a skyscraper while riding a hang glider with her girlfriend.

‘Ok, then. You are all weird, but I like it…at least more than I used to. What’s the story of you, blonde-haired lady?

‘It’s Adora. I’m from another planet, light-years away, but I came to Earth because of Pearl. I wanted to start a new life here, have new memories and new friends. The place I lived before had become toxic. The person I trusted wanted to destroy all the planets in the known universe, making them a genocidal monster. I wanted to be free from that and the responsibility to “save” everyone from some sort of “evil.”

‘I get that. I’ve never traveled off this planet, but I’ve seen families fall from nastiness and distrust time and time again, whether directly drawn into the fray or from afar. In that way, I can recognize what you are going through. I know it’s not much consolation…

‘It’s okay. I love Pearl now and she’s glad to have me. Right, P?

‘Yes, sweetie…and I’m just peachy.

Adora laughed so hard that water almost came out her nose. Finishing their food, Andy paid with his Biplane Credit Card (BCC), valid across the world, for a total cost of 40 Tagonishi Dollars. Knowing there wasn’t a fueling station nearby, he put the extra fuel he had stored up into the tank, while everyone else got in, feeling jazzed up for the rest of the day. The biplane took off, all prepared for their next destination, traveling through the great Republic of Alaxsxax, going into another time zone, Alaxsxax Standard Time (AST). The biplane stopped in the city of Courtenay on Vancouver Island, then Gilford Island, Denny Island, Prince Rupert Island, and Ketchikan Island, a trip of 667 miles. This took 3 hours and 30 minutes. The journey continued north, through Catherine Island, Kanataak Island, Boswell Bay, and Anchorage, having traveled for another 4 hours, a total of 393 miles. They had a pitstop in Anchorage, the capital of the Republic of Alaxsxax, at 10 P.M. AST, having a quick (and late) dinner and buying some fur-lined coats, hats, and gloves, before refueling, traveling in a northernly direction. From airport to airport, adding more fuel as needed, for the next 3 hours, the biplane went closer to the polar ice cap of Earth, across the vast land of Alaxsxax, before going westward, for 622 miles. Andy prepared to cross the Bering Strait into the Republic of Eastern Russia. While traversing the strait was easy, getting to Tokyo would take some work.

The biplane sped along, Andy at the helm and Steven as navigator, Pearl and Adora often sleeping, missing many of the beautiful sights. In Eastern Russia, their route was a southernly one, with longer periods between stops than before. After flying over Eastern Russia for 1,906 miles, a total of 9 hours and 30 minutes, they finally reached the upper islands of the State of Japan, stocking up with lots of fuel at Okhotsk, as the islands were mostly uninhabited by humans. The plane stopped at occasional islands to add extra fuel into the fuel tank, allowing them to continue flying. 3 hours and 40 minutes later, journeying 760 miles, everyone cheered when landing in Hokkaido, the northern island of Japan, at 2:10 JST (Japan Standard Time). Despite such excitement, there were clearly many miles left to go. Another 667 miles, and 3 hours and 30 minutes later, passing through cities like Aomori and Sendai, the plane finally landed outside Tokyo. Andy reminded Steven that if any of them needed a ride somewhere, he would be happy to assist. As Steven, Pearl, and Adora left, he rested a bit after all the flying, sleeping in the cockpit. At 5:50 JST, on June 11, Steven, Pearl, and Adora entered Tokumori Hospital, having trekked (through the air) for 7,463 miles, taking 37 1/2 hours. Rushing into the Carmen’s hospital room, they all embraced her, with Julia in a coma. She appreciated their love, although annoyed at their “late” arrival to the hospital.

“I’ve been in the hospital for over two and a half days now…where’ve you been?

‘Sorry we couldn’t be here sooner but…we rode in a biplane the whole way…a wild adventure with my Uncle Andy…

‘A sleepless flight of over 37 hours if you ask me.

‘Wow…what dedication! Thanks so much for coming! I apologize for being snappy before. Why didn’t one of you tell me?

‘We wanted it to be a surprise…

‘Our phones didn’t get much service…I tried to text you, but it never went through.

‘I appreciate that, Adora…you are my dearest friend. Speaking of friends, I’d like you to meet Ms. Hayasaka, who calls herself “Caroline.” She helped me and Jules after the accident.

‘Glad to meet you all. I saw Carmen flying through the sky, then witnessed her crash into that building. I felt I had to do something…

‘Caroline, what do you do in Tokyo?

‘I’m a professional model. I have been for 13 years now.

‘Amazing. Do you think Carmen has any potential?

‘Adora…don’t ask that!

‘Pearl…shhh!

‘She does. I already signed her up for some gigs here in Tokyo later this year.

‘Carmen, congrats!

‘It’s the least I can do since I’m retired from spy work.

Annoyed by this conversation, Pearl spotted a white envelope in the nearby flower vase, which had the name “Carmen” on the front. Kneeling to her bedside, Pearl asked Carmen if she’d like it opened. She consented and Pearl read it aloud.

“Dear Carmen,

Get well soon! Best wishes for you and Jules.

Love and Kisses,

Lapis, Utena, Peri, and Anthy (LUPA)

P.S. We need workers to help grow hemp plants at Utena & Anthy’s farm. Could we use the V.I.L.E. members in that Siberian base? Your help would be appreciated. – L + P

P.P.S. Chu-Chu and Pumpkin also send their love!”

The letter touched Carmen deeply. Lapis and Peri’s comment puzzled her a bit, although she thought it would be worth a gander because of her continued access to the Siberian base. Unable to reach the phone, she requested Pearl contact Lapis and Peri, telling them that “she’ll do what she can.” Steven nor Adora listened, as both had stepped out, needing a breath of fresh air. Pearl left, meeting up with Steven and Adora, walking out of the hospital, feeling great about themselves. Shadowsan walked into Carmen’s hospital room, coming to her side. She whispered in his ear, entreating one favor from him: get the former V.I.L.E. members out of Siberia by “any means necessary.” Astonished by this, he demanded to know why she would want such a thing, considering the evil V.I.L.E. was capable of. She responded that it would be her “gift” to her friends Lapis and Peri. She suggested he steal the hypnosis gun from the V.I.L.E. Museum and Archives, allowing him to control the former V.I.L.E. members. Despite his reservations, he agreed to undertake her mission, dashing into the night.

Ready to leave Japan, Steven began punching in the numbers for Andy’s phone number. A portal opened in front of them, with Connie riding atop Lion. She ushered everyone to come back with her, scolding them on missing the meeting where the Gems, Adora, Steven, and Connie would plan on how to help the world. All three had completely forgotten about it. Steven called Andy before leaving, thanking him for flying them there but explained he had another “ride” back to Beach City. Andy called him a “good kid” and promised to see him on the “flip side.” Breathing a sigh of relief, not wanting the same long trip back to Beach City, he decided to stop in Busan, in the United Republic of Korea (UKR), to meet some old flying buddies, about a 600 mile journey, stopping in Shimane, Tottori, or Mikata, to refuel. From there, he might go through the Social State of China, the Afghani-Pakistani Soviet, and end up in the Revolutionary State of Persia. He wanted to explore the world, enjoy all it had to offer.

Back in Beach City, Amethyst, Garnet, Connie, and Bih glared at Steven, Pearl, and Adora, annoyed at their absence from the planned meeting on June 10. Steven apologized on their behalf. He inquired about what all four had discussed a few days prior. Connie admitted that nothing had been decided, especially since none of them were good at organization, missing Adora and Pearl as possible facilitators. However, she noted that the idea of a worldwide organization had been floated. Steven blurted out “like a legislature?” Connie bobbed her head “yes” while Pearl added “there are these human legislative bodies…called parliaments…they seem effective from what I’ve read in Human Issues magazine!” Everyone continued squabbling. Adora bellowed at the top of her lungs the word “STOP!”

“If we keep arguing among ourselves, what chance do we have to unite this whole planet together? Everyone needs to be on the same page. I say we push for a world government, a world legislature of some type.

‘A World Parliamentary Assembly! We can call it WPA, which will unite all the countries of the world together to face any external threat. Every country gets one vote in order to create an equal playing field. That’s at least something to start with.

‘Great ideas Adora and Pearl! Let’s write them down…

June 12, 2019, due to the fact Lion had warped them through various time zones, would come to be known as WPA Creation Day. It would be celebrated as the day that this concept, which would bring together the world, came into existence. This meeting wasn’t the only thing that happened that day. On his own authority, and without asking any of the Crystal Gems, Steven requested a favor of his friend Lars Barriga, captain of the Off Colors (O.C.): go to Homeworld and investigate the voracity of the message he had received from the Diamonds. Fluorite, slowly talking, thanked Steven for the mission, while Rhodonite’s paranoid mindset went into overdrive, thinking the Diamonds had created a trap for them, the Rutile Twins able to calm her down. As the door of the improved Sun Incinerator, a ship their group had dubbed the O.C. Star Strider, closed, Padparadscha joyfully cried out “I predict Steven will give us the order to fly to Homeworld. What a wonder!” Lars, knowing her from their years together, tussled her hair and slyly told her “Thanks, Pappy,” but in a sweet way. Although she felt embarrassed, she hugged him, glad he appreciated her, unlike the rest of them.

Light years away, Apta and Fuma had struggles of their own on Etheria. The other signatories to the Compact had felt compelled to accept the document created by Ms. Ehre. In response for her “treachery,” Frosta, Glimmer, Mermista, Netossa, and Spinnerella disowned Fuma, not seeing her as a “real princess,” only one on paper. As a result, she dissolved her ties to the Royal Realm of Plumeria, transferring her signatory authority over to her brother, Kelley, choosing him as her successor. He would hold power until a new leader could be elected by a democratic vote, offending the princesses. Bow moved to Mystacor to help Apta, while the Archives of Etheria had been moved to Mystacor, from its previous location, thanks to the magic of Castaspella and the sorcerers. George and Lance thanked them, Apta, and Bow, for helping to maintain all their records. Apta had moved her facilities from Dryl to Mystacor, destroying her previous castle there. This had all happened within one week. The Compact of Etheria only had paper authority. Even so, no one wanted to release the former Horde members charged by the Etherian courts. The Royal Realms of Bright Moon, Salineas, and Snows had allied together into the Alliance of Royal Restoration (A.R.R.), while the Royal Realms of Mystacor and Plumeria, the City-State of Elberon, Republic of Thaymor, and the Commune of Alwyn had formed an opposing force, called the Coalition of Organizational Dignity on Etheria (C.O.D.E.). Mayor Abbelina of Elberon, Governor Pax of Thaymor, and Chief Executive Granjero of Alwyn had joined C.O.D.E., giving them more popular support than A.R.R. Swift Wind, not knowing what side to choose, left the planet altogether, searching for “greener pastures.”

Unlike Frosta, Mermista, Netossa, and Spinnerella, this division had emotionally destroyed Glimmer. Bow joining C.O.D.E. hurt her badly, but even worse was her mother, Angella, defecting to the other side. It drove her so irate that she wanted to conduct a massive attack on Mystacor with all their powers. Despite disowning Fuma, the other princesses refused to do this, feeling issues with C.O.D.E. could be resolved diplomatically. Glimmer refused to follow their advice and started constructing a rocket, allowing her to ask other planets for help, which would leave A.R.R. leaderless and disoriented. She didn’t care about that, grumbling that “no one” sought to do the “right thing”: mass annihilation of the other side.

Tired from non-stop work, Apta began slumping in her chair. Fuma came into the room, similarly exhausted. Both wanted the scuffle between the princesses and their force, C.O.D.E., to end, feeling a civil war would be unavoidable, endeavoring to ensure Adora wouldn’t be wrapped up in it. Sighing, Apta spoke matter-of-factly to Fuma.

“I never wanted the planet to divide…it’s even worse than when the Horde was the enemy…why can’t we all just get along?

‘The other princesses think their power is being infringed upon and are afraid of the bureaucrats. Sadly, none can be reasoned with, at least not now…

‘Perhaps we need to make them listen. I hacked the Black Garnet runestone before…I could hack all the runestones from one single one…or use the Sword of Protection…the princesses could have their powers drained…and order could be restored.

‘Is it worth the risk?

‘I believe it’s our only option. Are you ok with your powers being sapped away…too?

‘I am. The challenges of this world have readied me for anything. Losing my powers will not make me any less of a person…I’ll still like you, as a friend, Apta, and feel a connection to all living things, especially plants, in a deep way, even if I can’t control them.

‘Then, its settled. We start on the Runestone Draining Project (RDP) today…someday those princesses will learn what its like to have no power!

Apta cackled as lightning struck behind her, almost like the elements were gathering around her in some form. If those from C.O.D.E. or A.R.R. had contacted Adora, she probably would have tried to resolve their dispute. Those on both sides wanted to respect her wishes, believing that she, and the others on Earth, had their own issues to deal with, a correct assumption.

Stepping into the main hall, Apta flipped a switch and lights illuminated the hundreds of flickering computer screens. The same system she had used to ensure the correct categorization and organization of the records of the Archives of Etheria, had been used to streamline the bureaucratic process. It was the lifeblood of C.O.D.E., with bureaucrats working to develop new rules and regulations to serve everyone. Instead of a mess of papers and files like before, as much as possible had been digitized, with more to come on the way. Unlike archival records, where some documents or records would never enter the digital realm, the fact that the bureaucracy had only existed for a short time made it easier to move toward an all-digital recordkeeping system. Apta oversaw the writing of new rules and regulations, dubbing herself the “Chief Bureaucrat,” a position she created. If Hermes Conrad, light-years away, had seen her progress, he would have been pleased, as she planned to surpass the efforts of the Central Bureaucracy. Although she tried to make the system not confusing and convoluted, although the latter might be inevitable.

Back on Earth, the next day, June 13, an explosion rocked the secret A.C.M.E. base in Siberia, specifically in the Union of Western Russia. Shadowsan spirited away the V.I.L.E. members held there, commandeering a helicopter using the hypnosis gun, en route to Miura. Watching the chaos unfold from the A.C.M.E. headquarters in Lyons, a city in the Grand French Republic, The Chief shook her head. She addressed the assembled A.C.M.E. agents.

“This is a dark day…our efforts to make the world safer have been foiled…by dangerous elements within our society…they must be suppressed…or else…

Suddenly, whole structure of the building lifted off the ground and spiraled into the distance. Before them were four figures: Peadora, Bih, Stevonnie, and Sugilite. They spoke in unison, telling her this charade had gone on long enough, aware that A.C.M.E. only wanted the V.I.L.E. prisoners as guinea pigs for grotesque medical and psychological experiments, reminiscent of Project KMOutré throughout the 20th century. All of them laughed, maniacally.

“We will not let this stand, A.C.M.E. We know what you are…and you are liars! We are putting you under arrest per the first order of the WPA. Its time to put you where you all belong…in a prison…in Antarctica. No longer will your ilk be a menace to society.”

Aware their puny Earth weapons could do nothing, the A.C.M.E. members surrendered, marching into assembled helicopters, piloted by uncorrupted Gems. Speeding away into the distance, Peadora, Bih, Stevonnie, and Sugilite celebrated a job well done. While Bih and Sugilite warped back to Beach City using Lion, Peadora and Stevonnie went on their long-awaited date, traveling across the world.

Shadowsan’s helicopter landed in Miura, at Utena & Anthy’s farm, the exact coordinates Carmen had given him. Disturbed by the loud helicopter motor, Lapis and Peri came out of the house, irritated. As the motor’s sound died down, Shadowsan bowed to them in a respectful manner. Lapis and Peri stared at each other in confusion, as did Pumpkin, not sure why he had come there. He informed them that the people on the helicopter had been “Carmen’s present” for their caring support in recent days. A hypnotized Coach Brunt, Dr. Saira Bellum, Dr. Maelstrom, Countess Cleo, the Cleaners, Tigress, El Topo, Le Chevre, and Mime Bomb stepped out, delighting Lapis and Peri. With these workers, the hemp could be planted at the farm and turned into clothing. As Shadowsan departed, Lapis and Peri joined hands and began to serenade the hypnotized workers with an upbeat song:

“Here we are at the farm

Here we are at the farm and its right!

Nothing to worry about

No one to spite!

I can’t believe we’ve achieved so much

Merrily forever after, here we are.”