Chapter 1

Laurels

Not long after the entire fiasco regarding the witches and the council, everyone has poured their efforts into restoration of their various regions. Every region, with the aid of their leaders, collaborated to provide their needs. 


Soon enough the restoration was a complete success and everything soon fell back into place. Yuna has gone and lived in the human world with Yewon, keeping in contact with the other girls whenever she could, but it was visible to them how she wanted to spend some quality time with the human and so the four opted not to disturb them.


And so everything was peaceful once more, at least most of it.


Sinb, the elven army squad leader as well as the council representative, grunted in annoyance as she tried to rip off the vines currently wrapping around her form.


"I would cease doing that if I were you." a voice told her accompanied by footsteps getting closer. When she looked to the source, she couldn't keep the grin from breaking out on her face as she saw the sight of her favorite nymph, perhaps even her most favorite person in the whole realm, approaching closer to where she had found herself trapped in.


"Hey Yerin!" she greeted energetically. A sight only privy to her closest friends.


"With that much energy on you, I assume you have no need of my help?" the nymph raised a brow in amusement as Sinb began panicking at her statement.


"Wait! Wait! No! Err... help me out please?" Sinb asked in an embarrassed tone as the vines wrapped tighter around her frame.


"I'm not sure... You seem to be doing well as far as I can see." 


Sinb whined, "I'm starting to lose my breath Yerin! But you know, only you can take my breath away y--"


"I see you really have no need of my help." Yerin mumbled, beginning to walk away.


"I was joking! Yerin! Don't go!"


After falling haphazardly on her back with a loud thud, Sinb jumped to her feet automatically, having gotten used to how brutal the nymph could be towards her. But she had found out from a snitch (Eunha) that it was Yerin's way of expressing her interest in the woman so she didn't really mind getting hurt if it meant Yerin being affectionate towards her as well. In her own way, of course.


"I've already put a sign here that even you would understand." Yerin began scolding her, "That this is nymph territory, they don't--"


"Take lightly to trespassers. I know, I know." Sinb waved a hand, "It's worth it though."


Yerin tilted her head in curiosity, "Worth it having yourself hurt?"


Sinb just smiled, imprinting in her mind just how Yerin looked utterly beautiful for that day as she stared back at her.


"Definitely worth it."


 


 


The two walked back to the main square, greeting others of the different regions as they passed by. They had their duties to take care of, finalizing negotiations with the other regions took priority. After the attempt the witches pulled against them, Sojung had made it a task for every region to make sure all the other realms would not do the same. They had pretty much cleared their portion of the task and all that was left was reporting to Sojung and they had the rest of their time free. 


Sinb just had the thing to spend their time with.


Once they exited Sojung's office, Sinb quickly told Yerin of her plan.


"No."


Sinb sighed loudly as soon as her request was shot down. It wasn't anything new for the elf, but it doesn't mean that it didn't disappoint her.


"You have your duties as the army leader, Sinb." Yerin reminded her, "Though I would not mind, but the elder elves wouldn't take lightly to you skipping out on your tasks."


Sinb pouted, "The elders don't need me until later. You don't want to hang out with me then?"


"I... can't, rather than won't." 


"What do you mean?"


Yerin sighed, "My mother will be returning from her trip so I have to be there to meet her. So I cannot 'hang out' with you."


"Oh..." Sinb opened in surprise, never having known that the Queen was returning. No one has heard from her for a long time since she left nor did she really have a good reputation amongst the nymphs. 


The Queen pretty much claimed that title for herself after giving birth to Yerin who possessed both powers of the flowers and the forest. It was an extremely rare occurrence and, taking advantage of that, she was quick to instate herself as the ruler just because of having a powerful daughter.


In the end, the nymphs follow her for Yerin's sake. Yerin's reputation, on the other hand, was pristine and many revered her, not only the nymphs but also that of the other regions. 


"What does she want?" Sinb grunted, the distaste in her words clearly heard. 


"Please don't badmouth my mother."


"We all know how she treats you." the elf folder her arms, "And the only reason she's back is because she wants something from you again. Probably the only good thing she's done in her life is giving birth to you."


Yerin fought off the redness on her cheeks with that statement and shook her head, "It cannot be helped. It is for that reason that I am indebted to her, therefore I also have my duty to her as her daughter."


"Well I hope she does her duties too as your mother AND the Queen." Sinb scoffed, "She hasn't done a single thing for your kind. Meanwhile you, you've done so much for all the nymphs in this realm. You can decide to overthrow your mother and the entire populace, even us elves will be on your side. So what's stopping you?"


Yerin stared into Sinb's eyes, finding strong determination as if she was the one going to war and not her. She wishes she had that same determination.


Unfortunately...


"I have to go." Yerin turned her back and began walking towards her home.


"Yerin--" 


"This discussion is over, Sinb." the nymph told her, not looking back, fearful that she may just do as the elf says if she sees that spark of determination once more, "Please, I only need you to respect my decisions."


And with that, she left, leaving the elf alone in the middle of the main square. Sinb could only sigh in exasperation knowing that there was something that was holding Yerin back. She could clearly see how much she wanted to be free from her mother's control, but she's stubbornly insisting that she was okay with it.


This wasn't right.


 


 


Yerin's footsteps grew heavier and heavier the closer she approached the meadow, past the flower fields leading to the path to her home. It was the same meadow that she had found Sinb in, the meadow that she was more than happy to walk through since she knew that in it, she would find the elf waiting for her like she always did. However, for this time there was no Sinb waiting for her.


A messenger had informed her that the Queen has arrived and has requested her audience, something she had dreaded ever since she found out that her mother was returning, and there is nothing more that she wanted to do than avoid her completely. Unfortunately, she couldn't.


Sinb is right. The words the elf spoke to her rung once more in her mind and deep inside herself, she agreed she could do it. She could overthrow her mother and release the shackles she has placed on her, on her entire kind but no, she couldn't involve Sinb with the matters of her people. She knew how much the elf would willingly help her the moment she does and Yerin wanted none of that. No matter how powerful she is as a child of both the forest and flowers, her mother has more experience and power. In this world, her mother is still superior.


In this world, her mother had complete control of her.


Reaching the path through the forest, she felt the barrier protecting her home open the moment it sensed her presence. She continued walking forward, greeting the dryads on the way and even stopping to help out an oread who needed help. They were nymphs who inhabited the forest, so they were common sights whenever she headed home and since Yerin is part dryad, she had close relations with them amongst all the other nymphs.


At the center stood the largest and tallest tree of the forest, and within its leaves and branches was her home. The place was actually claimed by her mother, since the forest nymphs lived in tree houses, the taller the tree, the higher the status and so her mother took it upon herself to claim the tallest tree because she is the Queen.


The more than she thinks about it, the more conceited she realizes her mother is.


How ironic though, she was never called a princess.


"Oh, Milady."


The guards stood to attention once she approached the tree.


Yerin offered them a small smile before looking up at the tree's branches, "Is she there?"


They bowed before speaking, "Yes. Her majesty is waiting for your arrival."


"Right. Thank you." the guards did not miss Yerin's stiff response and shared a look before one of them spoke.


"Milady, you need only say the word..."


"There will be no fighting." she cut him off abruptly, "I cannot lose any more of you."


The dryads could not say anymore with the tone their leader used. With that, she extended her arm forward, vines emerging from the ground at her action, wrapping amongst themselves and forming a staircase leading up to the treehouse. 


Before she placed her foot on the first step, she turned to them, "But thank you."


The guards bowed lowly, watching her ascend towards the doors of the Great Tree and disappear from sight once they closed behind her.


 


 


Sinb was perched atop a tree while letting loose another arrow aimed towards one of the elves currently training at the archery range.


The targeted elf quickly dove to the ground with a yelp, losing his grip on the bow and the arrow he had notched had broken in half after his misfire.


"I said pay attention to your surroundings! Enemies won't hesitate to attack if you let your focus waver for a single second!"


The elves quickly began to aim at their own targets once more while paying close attention to Sinb's movements, knowing their leader was relentless when letting her arrows fly everywhere. 


"Hard at work again Sinb?" the fairy Eunha perched herself on the woman's shoulder while in her fairy form. She looked down at the grounds, watching Sinb notch an arrow into her bow and let it loose not even a second later. True enough it hit its mark: a boar that had managed to get within her sights and hunted it out of instinct.


"The only reason I'm here is because Yerin's busy."


"Of course." Eunha rolled her eyes. It was a known fact to the entire populace of their realm that Sinb liked Yerin more than a friend. 


She had gone ahead and proclaimed it to everyone. When Eunha asked why she went ahead and did something so bold, the elf merely said that she did it so the others knew who they were going to answer to if anyone of them hurt Yerin.


"Yerin's plently capable of protecting herself though?


"I know, but she's already protecting her people and herself at the same time. Someone needs to protect her too."


True enough, no one really dared cross Yerin due to the fact that the elven army leader was on her side (most of the time in a literal sense). 


When it came to fighting, everyone would agree that Sinb was close to being one of the best. Aside from Yuna and Sojung, Sinb's skill with her bows was no joke, no matter how aloof she seems. If she needed to take down any threat, she is capable of doing so without difficulty. She wasn't chosen to be the council representative out on a whim. The elven elders had all voted for her despite her penchant for mischief and since then their relations with the other regions had been peaceful.


"I heard the Queen was returning." Eunha spoke up, immediately noticing Sinb tense up at the words, "Is that why Yerin's not with you?"


"Don't remind me." she notched another arrow aimed at an elf, "It's taking all of my willpower not to aim this arrow at that so-called queen of theirs."


Sinb then redirected her aim towards the skies, but her gaze shot straight towards one spot past their houses, past all the trees and onto one target, "If Yerin just gives me the word, I will do it."


Eunha was about to reply when a commotion at the archery range interrupted their conversation. Sinb put down her bow and gazed towards the source of the noise. The elves had left their positions and was gathered around something in the middle, the fairy and elf couldn't see clearly due to the obstruction so they thought it was best they checked the situation for themselves.


"I need to speak with your council representative! Please let me speak with her!" Sinb heard a voice call from amidst the crowd and it seems that the person was looking for her. 


"What's going on here?"

 
The elves immediately parted and made way, Eunha walking by Sinb's side in her human form.


Eunha stared at the cause of the commotion in mild surprise, "You're..." 


"What is an oread doing here?" Sinb asked, looking at the mountain nymph who seemed utterly distressed over something. An uncomfortable feeling began to brew within her stomach. With the way she looked, whatever the nymph was going to say was nowhere near good.


Sinb swallowed, trying to keep her speeding heartbeat from going out of control. A feeling of dread descended upon her as her mind began to piece together the reason why a nymph would be looking for her.


"...Where's Yerin?" Sinb asked.


"Milady is...!" the nymph took in a shaky breath and everyone could sew how hard she was trying not to panic, "Milady is missing!"


She sunk to her knees, bowing towards the elf who went stiff at the news, "Please... I implore for your help. Please help us find her!"

 


 

Chapter 1 is here yay~

​​​​

I guess this can be considered a continuation of You Deserve Better (Yumji au). So there are parts that might be confusing. 

If any of you have questions, feel free to dm or comment. I'll gladly entertain them ^^ 

​​

​​​​​