Prologue

Dance With the Death God

0

PROLOGUE

• • •

It was on that day 50 years ago that humanity came face-to-face with the God of Death itself. A large asteroid entered the Earth’s atmosphere and split itself into four, instantly wiping out nearly a third of the population on impact. Within the coming days, the planet began bleeding to death as even the most powerful nations were completely decimated by a series of massive earthquakes, awakened supervolcanoes, and violent hurricanes. By the end of the first week, more than half of all life forms were wiped out. 

But the worst was what followed. 

The remaining survivors were hunted and slaughtered by them.

The demons. 

Monsters that entered our world through mysterious portals formed from the craters of the fallen asteroids. 

It was only then that the human race finally understood the true meaning of terror. 

We were forced into hiding, nearing the brink of extinction. 

But exactly one year after the gates of Hell opened up, a strange phenomenon occurred, resulting in a number of select humans to mysteriously gain supernatural powers unlike anything the world had ever seen before. 

It was known as The Awakening. 

Through this miraculous blessing from the heavens, we were given another chance for survival. With the help of the awakened, civilization was able to rebuild itself from the ashes, taking back from the demons what was left of our world. 

Children born into this new world awaken by the age of 16, and it was only then that one’s fate can truly be determined—to be protected or become a protector. 

For as long as I could remember, I dreamt of the day when I could finally become a demon hunter, just as my father once was. I spent most of my childhood imagining myself standing in front of the altar to pledge my life towards defending humanity from the evil that took over our world. 

But on the morning of my 16th birthday, everything was taken away from me.

In just mere moments, my hometown was completely destroyed and reduced to ashes.

And as I stood before the corpses of my friends and family, all that was left for me was the painful realization that there wasn’t a single demon nearby.

On that day, I finally learned the truth.

We’ve always lived amongst monsters. 

And some of them look just like us.