II. Resigned Hope

High Hopes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

.

.

II. TWO YEARS AGO (PT.2)

.

.

The city truly was beautiful and as extravagant as the rumors said. Surrounding her were buildings glimmering gold in the light of the sun, and even the pavement she walked across was made of pure gold.

Chaeri supposed if she was as oblivious as the luxurious citizens living in this city, she would have been able to appreciate the beauty more. However, the knowledge she had of the dark underlying actions of the reigning ruler had her mind set on extracting the information she needed and booking it out of there as fast she could.

It was lonely going on missions alone but Chaeri knew her skills were best suited solo. And honestly, Chaeri preferred the loneliness to the pity and sympathy she knew she would receive if she had a partner to witness what exactly her missions were about.

She didn’t need a knight in shining armor to ruin her seduction mission with their unnecessary chivalrous acts.

It was a silent pain Chaeri carried for the greater good. It was a testament of her skill that the Big Boss trusted her enough to go on important solo missions and she would always proudly accept. She knew that what she was doing would be of help to the rebel army and that was enough to keep her going.

Reaching to the hidden pocket of her revealing dress, she pulled out her burner phone and dialed the number she knew by heart.

Ring…

Ring…

Ring…

Click.

“It’s me, Commander,” she said, a grin breaking out across her face despite the fact that the view of the luxurious mansion where her next target waited for her grew closer and closer.

“I’m not Commander—“

“Chaeri~” Chaeri could hear her best friend, Yuna, through the phone and she swore if she was there, Yuna would have tackled her in a big hug. “Are you done? Are you coming back? I miss you, hurry back!”

A small giggle escaped Chaeri and she shook her head though she knew they wouldn’t be able to see it on the other end of the line. “I’m just calling to check in. I’m heading in to start my mission soon, I—“

“Hah?!” Taehyung’s exclaimed. “You still haven’t started? You said you arrived in the city last time you checked in.”

“Sorry.”

Taehyung could already imagine her sticking her tongue out on the other line and he scowled. “Don’t make me order you around for everything.”

Yuna slapped his back from behind, leaving a stinging pain on his shoulder. “Don’t be so mean, Taehyung. She’s doing her best,” Yuna scolded.

Chaeri was glad she wasn’t there in person, or else she wouldn’t have been able to hide her strained smile from Taehyung’s ever observant eyes.

Yuna knew.

She was the only one who knew about the kinds of missions Chaeri went on and though she didn’t like it, there was nothing she could do or say to change Chaeri’s mind. It was almost selfish of her—she knew if Chaeri refused to go on these missions, it would just go to another girl and Yuna was afraid it could be her.

Chaeri knew too.

It was one of the reasons she could never refuse these missions. Besides, it was hard to say no when the Big Boss entrusted you with an important mission like this.

“Just hurry up and get it done,” Taehyung said, his voice full of exasperation.

“Why? You want me back in your sights, hot stuff?” Came the immediate reply.

“I don’t want to hear any sass from you.”

Chaeri gas

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter