[FINAL]

Troublemaker

“I swear to this pen in my hand, if you don’t start answering some problems, I’ll be stabbing you with this.” Sinb threatened.

 

Unfortunately, the person sitting across her didn’t seem to hear what she said and just continued to stare over at the counter where a barista was busy taking someone’s order with the usual angelic smile on her face.

 

Sinb could only sigh. They had less than a month before exams, and it was an exam that would decide their futures so the least they could do was actually prepare seriously for it.

 

Apparently, her study partner had a different idea, focusing on the barista instead of his notes.

 

“Yah, Lee Jae Soon!” Sinb finally had it with the obvious eye flirting and slammed her not so thin textbook straight down the person’s head.

 

“Ow!” he exclaimed loudly, holding his head in pain, “What the-!? That hurt Hwang!”

 

“You know if you actually listened instead of staring at something else, I wouldn’t have to resort to this.” Sinb glared, “Now I need an answer for problem 4.”

 

“Sheesh, alright alright…” he grumbled, finally picking up his pen and rapidly scribbling down on his notebook as Sinb waited.

 

The two classmates were currently inside a café near their review center deciding to use that space to review for exams at the same time get something to eat. The place was actually very lenient with people hanging out, as long as they bought something from the café’s menu and provided that the reason why they were staying for a long period of time was valid, they allowed anyone to stay until closing time, causing the place to be a hotbed for students who wanted some peace of mind whenever the library was packed to the brim and had no more space.

 

Sinb and Jae Soon had been frequent customers of the place, initially, it was Sinb’s favorite place until Jae Soon started bugging her about it and so she gave in, letting him tag along after his father convinced her to help him out as well. She didn’t think it was that bad. He was smart and could easily help her out with the problems she had difficulty solving or understanding, so having him as a study buddy was a good idea.

 

Initially, at least.

 

It all started last week when they just finished classes and headed straight to the café to chill before hitting the books. Everything was plenty normal until Jaesoon, who was ordering for both him and Sinb, met the barista who he said, and Sinb quotes, “Was the most beautiful entity in this entire universe that he’s seen in his entire life.”

 

Sinb would normally let it be, if only her friend wasn’t such a huge flirt.

 

After that day, Jaesoon wouldn’t stop talking about her, their study sessions became moments where the man would just talk nonstop about the barista and the teeny tiny instances they exchanged words to the point where he’d just stare at the girl the entire time and not get any work done.

 

Sinb didn’t really care, but she was irked at how she was ignored. For goodness’ sake, she needed help in studying. She could have just asked Umji, her other classmate, but she was already busy tutoring the others and Sinb didn’t want to be a bother so she forced herself to stick with this guy.

 

“I’m telling you Sinb, she winked! At me! I can hear the wedding bells ringing!” he exclaimed, earning another hit from his classmate.

 

“She just got something in her eye you doofus.” Sinb grumbled, not looking up from her notes, “How’d you get this value…?”

 

“It’s constant.”

 

“I see.”

 

“Constant as my love for her.”

 

This person’s really asking for more pain.


 

If Jaesoon was as lively as bumblebee around a flower the previous day, he looked as dead as a fly that just got swatted this day and Sinb was doing a victory dance in her head because of it.

 

The reason?

 

The barista was on leave for that day.

 

No more cheesy confessions of love, no more annoying squeals, no more lovesick atmosphere. Sure, it was temporary, but it was finally peace of mind for Sinb, and she wouldn’t have it any other way.

 

Jaesoon sighed, leaning his chin on his palm as his elbow rested against the table whilst looking out the windown and staring at the outside absentmindedly, “My love… When will I see you again…?”

 

Sinb stared at the man, unamused. No, she was not about to deal with a trying hard Romeo in her midst.

 

“If you’re not studying then get out.”

 

“I’m studying, I’m studying! Geez.” he grumbled, “I wish I could study more of her th– alright! Alright! Not that 500 page book! That hurts like hell!”

 

“Yeah? Your skull still looks pretty intact to me though.” Sinb stared, book held high in her hand, threatening to hit the man with it, “But you’re right I guess I should stop using this book to hit you.”

 

“Glad that you understand.”

 

“Yeah, your brain’s already damaged enough as it is.”

 

“…Can I hit you with that instead?”

 

“Get your own book.”

 

At that moment the café chimes jingled as the door opened, indicating someone had arrived. And when Sinb heard the barista at the counter call the person’s name, she dreaded the bright look her classmate sported as his eyes followed the woman’s figure.

 

“Yerin-ah! I thought you were on leave!”

 

“Sooyoung called me and asked if I can take over for her today.” she grinned, causing Sinb to hiss in annoyance at how Jaesoon practically melted into goo at the sight, “So here I am~!”

 

Her co-worker just chuckled at the woman’s bright personality and quickly ushered her in as she took a customer’s order. Disappearing behind the staff room, Jaesoon was momentarily undistracted as he held Sinb’s shoulders and shook her in excitement.

 

Needless to say, Sinb did use the 500-page book again.


 

Sinb tightly held her pen in her hand, her eyes far from the notes on the table before her nor the texts on the open book in her hand. No, her gaze lay on the counter where Jaesoon was.

 

“‘I’ll just go and order.’ he said. More like go and flirt.” Sinb scoffed, watching Yerin and him talking in a seemingly joyful manner as she prepared his drink, “And why is that woman flirting back?”

 

She let out a sigh as she placed her pen back on the table, starting to tidy up her notes. Seriously, if this was what she was going to be witnessing all the time everytime she came here, she might as well not come back.

 

Jaesoon finally arrived just as she finished packing up her things. Not even paying him attention, she stood up, putting back her chair out of courtesy and began to walk out, only to be stopped by a hand on her wrist.

 

It was Jaesoon.

 

“Where are you going?” he asked in complete wonder.

 

“If you didn’t notice, you’re not really studying with me at all, so what’s the point staying here?” she shrugged the man’s hold off and continued walking out only for the exit to be blocked by the same person.

 

“Is it my fault?”

 

“Isn’t it obvious?”

 

“I– look I’m sorry I haven’t been paying you much attention. I promise I’ll behave this time.”

 

“You also said that last time.”

 

“I swear to my life, or else I won’t be coming back here ever again.”

 

Sinb contemplated his words for a bit, knowing how much he liked coming to this café for obvious reasons. After a while she finally gave in to his words and so they proceeded back to their seat, Sinb once more taking out her study materials and began focusing intensively on her review with Jaesoon helping her out when he could.

 

He was just explaining a certain process, having gotten up from his seat across her and sat down beside her so he could explain better when a hand holding a drink got slammed down right in front of the them, surprising the two. Sinb was more than thankful the drink didn’t spill.

 

And when the two looked up, Yerin was there standing before them with an empty tray in one hand and the drink in the other.

 

“Jaesoon-ssi, your drink.” Yerin spoke, in a slightly forced manner. Her eyes weren’t on Jaesoon, but was in fact, locked with Sinb’s.

 

She looked angry. There was no other way to describe it.

 

Sinb just glared back, a frown forming on her face yet no words escaped , not knowing exactly what to say to the barista who decided to interrupt them.

 

“Uh, Y-Yerin-ssi, you can let go of my drink now.” Jaesoon spoke, trying to pry the woman’s fingers off the beverage.

 

“Oh, sorry.” Yerin let go, forcing a smile yet her eyes not looking away from Sinb for even the slightest moment, “It looks like I disturbed something too.”

 

Sinb just smiled, but spoke with sarcasm, “That’s okay~ it was an accident right? Unless… That was on purpose?”

 

Yerin gasped. It was done in a such a fake way that a movie director would have scolded her about it for months, “Of course not! That would be rude of me now would it?”

 

Their gazes locked together more intensely. If anyone looked, they were sure that sparks were flying between the two.

 

“Don’t you have work to go back to?”

 

“I do~ I just wanted to make sure you don’t need anything else.” Yerin’s smile remained.

 

“I think we’re more than good now,” Sinb reciprocated the smile.

 

“Well, if you need anything. Don’t hesitate to ask for my assistance.” the barista spoke, bowing, “If you will excuse me…”

 

Once Yerin had returned to the counter, Sinb took a seat once more, staring at Jaesoon who currently looked like a lost puppy.

 

She pointed her pen at him, “This is all your fault.”

 

“Huh?”

 

Sinb didn’t answer. Instead, returning back to her work.


 

“I’m planning to ask her out.” Jaesoon announced.

 

Sinb’s hand automatically stopped scribbling on her notebook, the solution she had finally managed to figure out ending up unfinished as she looked up at the man before her whose gaze was once more at the counter where Yerin stood, making the drinks they ordered not too long ago.

 

“What?” Sinb could only say, wanting to make sure she heard the right things that just came out of his mouth.

 

“When she calls my name, I’ll pretend I didn’t hear her, so she’ll bring it here instead right?” she could see the excitement in Jaesoon, with how animated he was whilst explaining to her his plan and how he was completely oblivious to the unamused look she wore as she listened to him explain, “And then, when she comes over, I’ll hold her hand, look her in the eyes and then ask her out! What do you think? Smart right? I’m a genius.”

 

Sinb opened to retort, wanting him to stop whatever it was he was planning but exactly at the same time, Yerin’s loud voice permeated across the entire cafè. She called for Jaesoon’s name, even going so far as looking his way when she did so, but he didn’t dare look back. Instead, he looked up at Sinb and held a finger to his lips, grinning mischievously before he began doodling on his notebook.

 

Sinb knew she had to do something. The moment Yerin stepped out of the counter, Jaesoon’s plan was going into motion, and in a few seconds, she would be within proximity, with that drink in hand and soon a confession just around the corner.

 

“Jaesoon-ssi, didn’t you hear me? Was my voice not loud enough?”

 

Yerin was just two steps away, and Sinb still didn’t know what she can do about the situation. Should she leave it alone? Should she let things happen? Is she really going to allow Jaesoon to confess and most likely end up with Yerin within a few minutes?

 

She can’t allow that.

 

She can’t ALLOW that.

 

“Here’s your drink.” Yerin spoke, placing the beverage just in front of her classmate, and, as he thanked her for it, Sinb saw him lift his hand, reaching out to hold Yerin’s.

 

“Huh?” Yerin jumped up in surprise as she felt fingers wrap around her wrist gently. Following the source of the hand, she found herself looking down straight into Sinb’s eyes, her arm currently outstretched.

 

“Sinb? What’s wrong?”

 

Sinb didn’t know how she managed to do it, but she beat Jaesoon before he made his move. However, she was sure that he will press on despite that, so she needed to do something, anything to keep that confession from happening.

 

Not knowing what else to do, she stood up, pulled on Yerin’s wrist causing the woman to face her, and with her other hand, she held the barista’s cheek. It was all Sinb could remember before feeling Yerin’s lips against hers.

 

She wasn’t sure who it was who leaned first, but it didn’t matter much as she pulled Yerin closer and even deepened the kiss further. She was normally not a fan of public displays like this, especially with how conservative their society was but she didn’t really care when all she could think of was her and Yerin and the kiss they were sharing. Nothing else mattered.

 

None of them exactly knew how long they stayed in that position, but they did have to breathe at some point so they separated, Sinb’s arm secured around Yerin’s waist as they both gazed down at Jaesoon whose jaw practically dropped to the ground at the display he just witnessed.

 

“I-I– wha– bu–”

 

Sinb’s piercing gaze rendered him further speechless, “I’ve been holding it in this whole time but that’s enough. Hands off my girlfriend, .”

 

“G-girlfriend?” he repeated then chuckled, thinking that it was a joke, “You’re kidding. But you’re both girls!”

 

Yerin glared, looping her arm around Sinb’s waist in return as she stood imposingly before him, “You have a problem with that?”

 

“See. This is why I didn’t want to say anything.” Sinb spoke, “You’re not really that open-minded about anything, this, in particular. I don’t mind being looked down on, but Yerin’s gonna be affected by this as well and I don’t want that to happen.”

 

“Yah, Hwang Eunbi!” he stood up as well, glaring at his classmate, “I spent the whole time talking about her to you, the least you could do was j-”

 

“What? Break up with her so you can have a shot?”

 

“Isn’t it obvious? I’m a guy, you’re a girl, me and Yerin-ssi will work way better than the two of you.”

 

“Ah.” Sinb rolled her eyes at the declaration, having dealt with the same words for as long as she could remember, “You’re really more pathetic than I thought.”

 

“Why put up with me then!?”

 

“You should ask your father that.” Sinb replied, not wanting to deal with him for another second.

 

“Looks like business is over?” Yerin asked Sinb who nodded, she then waved over for the security who immediately answered to her call.

 

“W-wha-! You can’t treat me like this!” Jaesoon yelled, shrugging off the hand the security personnel placed on his shoulder, gesturing to him that it was time he left, “I demand to see your manager and you!” he pointed at Yerin, “I’ll have him fire you for this mistreatment!”

 

“Oh?” Yerin placed a hand over in mock surprise, “You didn’t know? You’re speaking to the owner and manager. That would be me.” she smiled, enjoying the look of disbelief on the man’s face, “And you can forget ever coming back here because you’re no longer welcome. Thanks for buying a lot though. The tips helped too.”

 

“B-but wait! Yerin-ssi, I’m a way better man than that Sinb is! I–”

 

“Why do I need a better man when I have the best girlfriend ever?” Yerin retorted, “You’re weird. Please throw him out. Homophobia is not allowed in here.”

 

The security seemed to laugh at that and went as far as carrying Jaesoon over his shoulder and dumping him out of sight. They were lucky that the whole place was empty since it was nearing closing time so no one but them and the employees saw the entire fiasco.

 

“Hey.” Yerin stepped back a distance, crossing her arms across her chest as she regarded Sinb carefully, “It’s not like you to hang out with a jerk like that. What gives?”

 

“Oh. Well, I didn’t want to, actually, but his dad paid me to keep him in line so I just took it without thinking. And what about you!? You were flirting with him and leading him on yourself!”

 

“Excuse you, I was finding out more info because I thought you were cheating on me with that guy.” Yerin stared.

 

“I would never-!”

 

“Yeah, it’s sort of easy to believe when you bring him here almost everyday.” Yerin grumbled, sarcasm evident in her tone, “My place. My café. Looking like you’re out on a date.” she pointed out, “How do you think that made me feel? Especially when we haven’t gone on a date in a long time.”

 

“We just went out yesterday.”

 

Yerin whined, “13 hours without your hugs and kisses! And cuddles! Do you know how hard it was for me?”

 

“Why do you think I always choose to study here?” Sinb sighed, bringing Yerin close once again, arms wrapped around the sulking woman’s waist, “Listen, Yerin-ah, that guy’s dad paid me big to keep Jaesoon in line.”

 

“Keep him in line from what?”

 

“Messing around. As you just witnessed, he’s quite the charmer.” Sinb grumbled.

 

“You’re the only one charming enough for me though?”

 

“That’s because you’re gay.”

 

“Gay for you.”

 

Sinb struggled slightly to fight off the redness on her cheeks, “I know, but not the point. Anyway, I just thought, with that money, I could help you out here…”

 

“Hwang Eunbi.” Yerin pulled away, once more looking over at her girlfriend in slight disappointment, “How many times do I have to tell you that it’s not necessary?”

 

“Necessary or not, I wanted to.” Sinb insisted, “Even if you weren’t paying for my classes, I’d still do it because it would help you. You’ve been talking about that machine you’ve always wanted to have for the café but you couldn’t buy it because you’ve spent your savings on my classes.”

 

“But still–”

 

“But still nothing.”

 

Yerin could only sigh, knowing that no matter how many times she tried to convince Sinb that she was fine, she’d still insist to help her out. Sinb even offered to work at the café for free which she immediately rejected because she has review classes keeping her busy enough.

 

Yerin wasn’t really in a financial crisis unlike how Sinb makes it sound to be, which was why she offered to pay for her review classes instead of troubling her parents for it. However, her girlfriend didn’t want to just “leech off on her” and tried various ways to help Yerin out when she could.

 

Really, all Yerin wanted was to be with Sinb. That was more than enough reward for her.

 

“I doubt that man’s father would pay you big enough just to keep him out of trouble.” Yerin raised a brow, heading over to the counter with Sinb in tow while the security from earlier changed the sign on the entrance from open to closed at a gesture from his boss.

 

“Believe me, you have no idea how much trouble Jaesoon could get into if he was left alone.” she sighed, “I’m more than glad to be done with him honestly. I was supposed to endure it until tomorrow, but he’s probably just going to sulk the entire time. I got my pay, so it’s good.”

 

“Why’d you have to bring him here though.” Yerin leaned against the counter.

 

“Because you would miss me for sure if you don’t see me for a day.”

 

“Are you sure it’s not you who’s going to miss me more?”

 

Sinb paused, “Maybe…?”

 

Yerin grinned at the response, beckoning Sinb over for a hug which the younger was more than happy to oblige to. She wasn’t one to admit it, but the number of times she’d wanted to just leave the jerk alone at his table and just be with Yerin the entire time they spent at the café happened one too many times. For now, Sinb was just glad she could hug her girl again, like breathing in a breath of fresh air after being down in the sewers for a long time.

 

“His dad’s not going to be suing my café after that stunt we pulled off earlier is he?”

 

“Sir Lee is not like his kid.” Sinb assured Yerin, “If anything, he’d probably give Jaesoon a huge spanking instead for giving me trouble.”

 

Sinb suddenly yelped when Yerin slapped her on the backside after her statement.

 

“What was that for?” the younger woman asked, not letting go of the hug.

 

“For giving me trouble too. I really thought you were seeing someone else. At least it wasn’t behind my back since I could clearly see the flirting from here but…”

 

“I just hit him a bunch of million times with a book and you call that flirting?”

 

“Well you’re a bit of sadist wh–”

 

Sinb placed a hand over to keep her from speaking, “Too much info. Anyway, you won’t have to worry about that because the only troublemaker I’ll be seeing is you, and no one else.”

 

Yerin stared, unconvinced.

 

“What?”

 

“Sinb-ah, troublemaker or not, the only person you’ll ever be seeing is me. Now say it with me.”

 

Sinb chuckled, “The only person I’ll ever be seeing is this Jung Yerin.”

 

“Damn right you are.” Yerin smiled, reaching until her eyes that Sinb just couldn’t help but lean in and place a chaste kiss on her lips, taking her girlfriend off guard at the gesture but needless to say, she liked it.

 

“I’m going to have to demand more of that when we head home. Now, help me out in closing shop so we can buy that new blender, oh, and Sinb?”

 

“Yep?”

 

Yerin raised a finger pointed straight at her, “No more bringing anyone I don’t know here in my café.”

 

Sinb saluted playfully, a grin spreading out on her features, “Yes ma’m.”

 

--- 

 

tada~ i write random stuff when i can't sleep. wrote this first on twitter